@~Tom~ - 1/13

@.Rei - 2/13

@Alex95 - 3/13

@totes4totes - 7/13

@NGM - 7/13

@Elliott - 10/13

@Steven_ - 10/13

Andy

I couldn't not put this movie at #1; it's always been one of my favorite movies. It's not like groundbreaking in theory or anything, but it really excels in its execution. It's just one of the most "human" movies I've ever seen. It's like the camera is secretly following these two guys as they spend a fully spontaneous and organic weekend together. It reminds me of many "situationships" I've had in the past with guys over the years. It just strikes a chord with me the way no other movie below does.

Tom

I figured I would like Weekend I watched it and I was not disappointed. It's one of the best and most realistic LGBT films I've seen and it could have been made yesterday (only caveat is today Russell would be going on Grindr for hookups). and moved me emotionally as well. It especially killed me when Glen pretended to be Russell's father and they roleplayed coming out to him. It's worse when you remember Russell never felt that close to his parents because he grew up in foster homes. It's so authentic and I hope everyone who hadn't seen it enjoyed it because I sure did.

Rei

pzVuHtb.png

Weekend has been my favorite queer film since the first time I watched, like 10 years or something. I rewatched last year after a long time and my love for it hasn't fade. It is just the most relatable film I've watched it and one that I could identify with. It is also a film that's gonna crush your heart.

Alex

MVP: Tom Cullen

Favorite Scene: Russell & Glen at the train station.

See y'all I don't hate love! Sorry to Weathering and God's and BPM but this love story is done right for me. It's raw, it's messy, it's relatable, it's believable. I think the writing is so strong here and it doesn't even feel written. Just two regular people talking. They have some things in common, they differ in other ways. Andrew Haigh is brilliant at keeping things simple, but also engaging. I was never bored during this movie, but they also didn't need some big melodramatic fight or anything. And I love how unapologetically gay this movie is. You can't just make the movie straight and it'll still work. This movie has to be gay and that's what makes it unique.

Megan

The best part of this movie was when Russell and Glen are arguing about gay marriage. So much of how we see gayness portrayed in film and other media and what's praised is how these stories can relate to hitting the milestones we associate with typical "straight" relationships. Anyway, it's good. I just watched all three of God's Own Country/Weekend/BPM all in a row and only really BPM inspired me to think actual things beyond "maybe if I were a gay man this would speak more to me" rather than watching as a queer woman, why we don't get these movies but also "why don't I make them all watch DEBS."

Nico

Pretty solid and engaging movie, I didn't know what to expect out of it at the start but it does a great job of exploring its themes while never feeling like exposition?

Elliott

lol did most of us choose LGBT-themed films ahead of June intentionally? :rofl: Anyway, my thoughts on this are fairly similar to the film I ranked 11, but it's about gay people so it gets a higher ranking from me.

Steven

Weekend reminded me a little bit of Before Sunrise. Two strangers meet and quickly form a strong bond while discussing deep themes surrounding life and romance. However, I don't think Russell and Glen were compatible as they wanted different things, so I can't say I was rooting for them to stay together (so it made sense that they didn't by the end of the film). Overall it was a fine movie. The short runtime made it an easy watch too. It wasn't a bad movie, but not one of my favorites here either.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown (#3 Posted - July Theme Posted)
1 minute ago, .Rei said:

@Alex95 just finished the last season of The Other Two and now I'm depressed cause I just found out it got cancelled :(

Ugh same. I know S3 was polarizing for some, but I thought the season was soooooo good. The AIDS Play episode is like an instant classic for me. But apparently it came out that the showrunners were monsters who overworked their crew so for their sake I'm glad it got cancelled. But I'll miss it and storywise, I'm glad it went out while it was still great instead of going on way too long.

34 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Ugh same. I know S3 was polarizing for some, but I thought the season was soooooo good. The AIDS Play episode is like an instant classic for me. But apparently it came out that the showrunners were monsters who overworked their crew so for their sake I'm glad it got cancelled. But I'll miss it and storywise, I'm glad it went out while it was still great instead of going on way too long.

well that sucks about the showrunners.. one would think that that wouldn't be still happening but I guess people will never stop being horrible

The AIDS episode was hilarious and so was the Telethon one!!

but the real star of the show is....

dfedbc58ae95b91984aa233cca8ad59bd63b9171.gifv

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man--Into-the-Spider-Verse-review-GQ.jpg

4.75/13

Directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman

Starring Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry

Action / Adventure / Animation / Science Fiction

United States

97% RT / 87 MC / 4.4 LB

Watch Trailer

@totes4totes - 1/13

@Elliott - 1/13

@.Rei - 3/13

@Alex95 - 4/13

@Steven_ - 4/13

@~Tom~ - 4/13

@#jeah - 8/13

@NGM - 13/13

Megan

I want to figure out when I saw Into the Spider-Verse because it might have been on opening weekend. If not then it was shortly after it came out. And I've been like IN LOVE with it ever since. This was my first watch or re-watch on this list because I'm like psyching myself up for the sequel next week. I feel like I've hammered on this a lot, but I really think Disney is losing the animation race. When you see a movie like Into the Spider-Verse and what it can do with animation, it just dampens my excitement for any new Disney/Pixar movie. I literally left the theater blown away by Into the Spider-Verse's visuals, and it had been a long time since I'd seen an animated movie do that. But it's not just a visually stunning movie, it's also maybe the best superhero movie of the 21st century. There's A LOT of competition (aka my values of Brie Larson being so hot I want to self-immolate when I see her on screen and my undying love of Black Canary and the fun violence and lesbians of Birds of Prey), but it doesn't really feel like an exaggeration to call Into the Spider-Verse the best superhero movie or the best animated movie of the 2010s. There's a lot more I could add to this but this is supposed to be a BRIEF MINI rankdown and not all my feelings about the MCU Multi-verse and how Into the Spider-Verse captures everything I like about it and how the MCU has really failed in that idea. So I'll just finish with that this is a genuinely fantastic movie period. It's exciting, it's fun. And it's a movie that makes going to the theaters to see it worth it.

Elliott

I mean, duh. I picked this film, so it's my #1. But even if I hadn't picked it, it would still be my #1. I'm the anti-Chris because I love comic books and CMBs, and Spider-Man is easily my favourite of the superheroes. While I wouldn't say this is my personal favourite Spider-Man film because the one that has two British twins is obviously my #1, it's objectively the best film involving the web slinger. (At least until we know if Across the Spider-Verse tops it, but I believe that's a two-part film so it'll be hard to know for sure until the third film comes out.)

I saw Into the Spider-Verse when it first came out, without really knowing too much about it. I'd see a couple of TV spots but had purposefully avoided most of the marketing. It was also a Sony Spider-Man film, so my expectations weren't the greatest. But almost immediately, my worries were put to ease when the film slayed from the get-go. I loved the meta referencing of previous Spider-Man films (and was a bit surprised Sony let the Spider-Man 3 shade stay in tbh) in the prologue, and the  various animation styles and techniques had me hooked. Despite being animated, these characters seemed life-like and I loved that the film spent time getting invested in its characters and world building before sh*t hit the fan. I was also absolutely gagged that they actually killed off Peter Parker because I thought that would never happen.

But it was the plot point needed to naturally bring in the other Spider-Verse Spider-[Wo]Men, and I loved seeing all of them. Jake Johnson's Peter B. Parker is obviously my favourite, but Spider-Gwen and Spider-Noir were also highlights for me. That's not including our lead, Miles Morales, because that should be obvious. Also, with the film being animated, it had the unique twist that it could actually do something meaningful with its obligatory Stan Lee cameo, and it absolutely delivered on that.

Obviously they didn't know he would be gone before this film's release, but this cameo absolutely wrecked me in theatres. 😭 "I'm gonna miss him." "We were friends, y'know?' "It always fits... eventually." wow, here come the tears just rewatching that scene.

The conflicts between Miles becoming Spider-Man alongside the others and internal struggles he faces himself are par the course for any Spider-Man movie, but I think the added benefit of having the other Spider-Men in the mix plays out beautifully, and leads to an absolute banger of a third act. The various animation styles all coming head-to-head and switching back-and-forth was just *chefs kiss*

And I haven't even touched on the soundtrack... wow. I listened to the film's soundtrack immediately after seeing the movie, and it's still in constant rotation on my Apple Music. So many absolute bangers and bops, and every song fit the movie beautifully. It also introduced me to Juice WRLD, who has become one of my favourite musicians and left far too soon. 😭

So yeah, Into the Spider-Verse is easily one of my favourite films, and I'd [perhaps controversially] state it's the best animated film ever. An easy pick for my #1, and I hope it does well here.

Rei

9SCP49v.png

Animation is killer! The choice of having Miles Morales as the lead instead of Peter Parker was refreshing and brilliant. We have had already a too many Peter Parker films and we for sure didn’t need a new one. I can’t wait for the sequel coming next month. Easily in the Top 3 best superhero movies of all time!

Alex

MVP: Jake Johnson

Favorite Scene: The climactic fight with all the Spider-Men

I remember the hype was real when this movie first came out and I felt it didn't quite reach those high expectations I had walking into the theater. Reevaluating the movie without that hype definitely helped my opinion of it. While I don't consider this one of the greatest movies of all-time, it's certainly a fantastic movie. Top-notch animation, sharp dialogue, cool fight scenes, grounded in enough reality where the audience can still relate to the characters. I did bump it up a bit after Across the Spider-Verse which absolutely lived up to the hype and I would consider one of the greatest movies I've seen.

Steven

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse was the only movie here (other than Weathering With You) that I've already seen before. It played on TV a while ago, and that's how I finally watched the film. What struck me the most about the film was the animation. The visuals here were really cool. The story was pretty good too. It should've been obvious in hindsight, but I was actually surprised when the Prowler ended up being Miles's uncle. I also thought all the Spider-people across the different universes made for a fun dynamic as well. Overall, it was an enjoyable movie, but not an all-time favorite of mine. I still liked it, and I'll probably see the sequel when it's available on streaming services. Seeing all the hype for Across The Spider-Verse these past few weeks makes me believe this film has a good chance of winning this round.

Tom

Spider-Man 2 reigns supreme among the Spider-Man movies but this is still great.

Andy

A little overrated but I did really enjoy this movie. It's a fresh take on Spider-Man and amazing/creative animation

Nico

This is still very visually appealing and still very much not my thing.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown (#2 Posted - July Theme Posted)

1. A Separation

a-separation02-feature-1600x900-c-default.jpg

3.88/13

Directed by Asghar Farhadi

Starring Peyman Moaadi, Leila Hatami, Sarina Farhadi, Sareh Bayat, Shahab Hosseini

Drama

Iran

99% RT / 95 MC / 4.4 LB

Watch Trailer

@.Rei - 1/13

@Alex95 - 1/13

@#jeah - 2/13

@Steven_ - 2/13

@totes4totes - 4/13

@NGM - 4/13

@~Tom~ - 6/13

@Elliott - 11/13

Rei

KiL2Zi4.png

The first time I watched this movie was on 2016 and since then it always come to mind first while talking about my favorite movies ever and after this rewatch it is safe to say that it will continue to do so. Such a moral and socially complex film where you end up at to some point understanding everyone's points of view and decision-making. It is hard to not feel for Razieh, a woman that is struggling trying to keep her family a float while dealing with a kid, a baby on her way and a mentally-ill husband and also while trying to navigate through this while being a woman in a islamic country full of limits, norms and repressions for women. Yes, she commited perjury and made poor choices in the whole dilemma of the movie but as a man that never got to experience any of this and probably will never do, it's just feel wrong to the judge what it's morally right or wrong here. Then you have Nader, a man also struggling with a separation with her wife, an underage daughter in the middle and a father suffering from Alzheimer that needs constant attention. Yes, he also commited perjury and the whole grabbing Razieh to make her leave the apartment is in no ways acceptable and while no as "severe", it is still assault. But he never denies that he did that, he just knows that he wasn't the cause of Razieh falling from the stairs and having a miscarriage and when someone is accused of something that they know it's no true, the human instinct is to prove your innocence no matter what. Like I said, is such a complex film where not everything is black or white or right and wrong. You have the parents dealing with their divorce and sort of manipulating the daughter, even if their motives are actually good. You have the daughter lying to the police in order to absolve the dad, while not being sure if her father is actually innocent. Tutors and neighbours bending the truth to side with the person they know the most. The little girl telling her mom, don't worry I won't tell dad, when she had to bathe the ill father. So many incredible dilemmas and powerful scenes.

It was nice to see that after so many years the film is still as impactful as the first time I watched it and can bring relevant conversations and also point out all the privilege that we have as a western society.

Not sure how this is gonna rank in this group of movies but i truly believe that this is a masterpiece and above everything else here, even if we have a very solid group of movies.

Alex

MVP: Sareh Bayat

Favorite Scene: Nader asks Razieh to swear on the Qur'an

Simply put this is one of the greatest movies to ever exist. I'm thrilled to see this be the first film to win a round here. I looooooove moral dilemmas and there were about 100 moral dilemmas stuffed into this perfectly paced 120 minute film. Every single character was gray. Not a single person was fully innocent or guilty. Everyone did what they thought was best for themselves or their family, and sometimes that can be messy. I love how it showed to children suffer the most from adult drama. This a thrilling movie. One of my favorites when I first watched it and absolutely holds up on rewatch. Such a masterpiece.

Andy

It's not a "relatable" movie for me in the sense that I haven't really experienced divorce within my family, but this movie really makes all the characters feel so relatable. Like Weekend, it just feels like a very real scenario that is happening with actual people somewhere out there. It doesn't try to do anything crazy or fancy; it stays true to the characters and is very engrossing in that aspect. I was so impressed with this movie!

Steven

I knew of this film before and have been meaning to watch it for a while since I've heard great things about it, so I'm glad I finally did. Due to the title, I thought the movie was going to be about the actual separation between the husband and wife. I didn't know it was going to be a "he said, she said" dilemma. I admit I was on Nader's side throughout the film and thought the evidence supported his story (although I still thought it was wrong of him to accuse Razieh of stealing and shoving her out the door). And yikes when it was revealed that Razieh hid the fact that she was hit by a car and she lost the baby that way instead of slipping on the stairs. The characters here were all in a gray area and there wasn't really a good guy vs. bad guy dilemma here, but that's what made this a riveting watch. I enjoyed this film, and I think it's worthy of all the acclaim it received.

Megan

As @.Rei said. A perfect movie! I only rank it "this low" because the movies above are also perfect!

Nico

I'm still kinda shocked that I'm putting this so high bc theme wise, this would be the last type of movie I would seek out out of this entire set. Just not something I gravitate towards. But I was into it every step of the way even if I was stressed af during it.

Tom

I expected this to be an LGBT film, but I still really enjoyed it upon watching as I'm a mystery fan.

Elliott

I initially ranked this eleventh but now I don't remember why I put it above the other two movies. I'm not usually one for drama films (unless they are ridiculously depressing), so it took me a while to get into this one. I ended up enjoying it well enough, but I don't think it's one I'd rewatch that much.

• Alex95 changed the title to IDF's Film Club - A Casual Rankdown (#1 Posted - July Theme Posted)
16 minutes ago, .Rei said:

I wonder how high this would have placed in the 2010's Films Rankdown had it not been petty cut

It did come in third place behind Bridesmaids and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 in the Films of the Year mini rankdown last year.

8 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Alright we’ll get started with the next round soon. @NGM let me know if you want in for this round or not. And @1234567890 just confirming are you going with V for Vendetta. And are you in or out @FrogLenzen?

im gonna join for now (if i have to drop due to being too busy in july/august i think i should be able to let you know somewhat early)

i will send my pick later today!

• Like 1