"Playoff Pass" Poll

TeamAudra

"Playoff Pass" Poll  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new "Playoff Pass" twist?

• I love it.
    • I hate it.
    • I'm unsure how I feel about it.
  2. 2. Would you rather your favorite....

• Win the battle, and advance to the KO round.
    • Be declared the loser of the battle, and receive the Playoff Pass.
  3. 3. Do you believe the Playoff Pass recipients will have an advantage in the voting rounds, assuming they advance that far?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I think we’ve already collectively established that the Playoff pass sucks.

Contains spoilers for format:

However, in terms of the voting rounds question: because this is a shortened season, none of the contestants have the time to build a fanbase anyway so viewers might vote just based on the Semifinal performance. Of course, contestants have won the show on the backs of their KOs, and getting the Playoff Pass strips away the possibility of that happening, but overall I don’t think its that huge of a detriment in this format.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I think we’ve already collectively established that the Playoff pass sucks.

Contains spoilers for format:

Reveal hidden contents

However, in terms of the voting rounds question: because this is a shortened season, none of the contestants have the time to build a fanbase anyway so viewers might vote just based on the Semifinal performance. Of course, contestants have won the show on the backs of their KOs, and getting the Playoff Pass strips away the possibility of that happening, but overall I don’t think its that huge of a detriment in this format.

In continuation:

I would also like to add that its not like the contestants will skip a round and then the next time we’ll see them, the show will be live. The Playoffs this season are taped, so everyone will still hear a performance from the PP recipients a round before voting begins.

Hate it. Might be the worst "twist" they´ve ever implanted so far (And somehow I still think they could find an even worse one for the future)

The contestants come to the show to sing and gain a fanbase. Some already have one, but the majority does not. So, this twist is essentially taking that away from them. 

Again, so far the playoff passes we´ve seen, Mary Kate and Manasseh improved tremendously from blinds to battles, they could have continued to grow and benefit from the coaching, while the others get to continue training, practicing, and recieving lessons from Trelawney. (And a few advice words from the coaches, FWIW)

As far as the audience support, they´re not gonna see these girls (and the other 2 people that recieve the pass) for a month. This audience doesn´t care about the contestants in the first place, so don´t expect to hold their memory for them if they don´t show up on the screen for that long of a period. I don´t see how is that an advantage. I expect a lot of "who´s that" from them when playoffs come along. 

• Like 3

Spoiler alert 

Regarding the second question, both Mary Kate and Kylee were eliminated at the same time. However, one is gonna leave with three performances aired, and the other one is gonna leave with four. So, there is that 

Edited by Gustavo527

I’ll have a better idea once the season progresses. It seems like it will be bad, due to the lack of a Knockout performance, but I want to see how it affects the season and my final thoughts on the playoff pass contestants’ runs

Selfish take:

It’s a dumb gimmick, and I certainly don’t want it over the save or the 2nd steal, but I don’t think it’s gonna impact me as a viewer. If a personal favorite got the pass I would be annoyed but since that’s not the case I’m “fine” with it.

(Voted for the second option tho)

• Like 1

The coaches are treating it like a “save.” I guess we could say it’s a mix of the “save” and comeback, with a confetti shower. 

It’s my least favorite twist ever. The way they’re trying to sell it leads me to believe they think the audience is stupid. There is a lot of confusion out there, which isn’t surprising. I hope they never do it again. 

• Like 5

I hate it, nuff said

I would rather get sent through the KO's, aka the most important round to build momentum, and shine there! If anything, I would have put the playoff pass IN the KO ...

I don't necessarily think it helps anyone in general, however for a certain contestant (spoilers), it may not impact them as much. We'll see

• Like 1

Well I said it in an other thread. It's almost exactly the same format that if we have a comback wildcard artist that lost in the battles and come back at the playoff. Wich is lame.

I would have been better if the winner get a playoff pass. but I don't know how to make it look good on tv. Their gimmick is to have someone think they lost and being save at the last moment. So they kind of have to do it like this since the winner already left. 

Also I would have love to have the playoff pass being coach during the KO for a showcase performance.  Now they are not on on the air for a month recive less coaching and not meeting the mega mentor. I know with time constrain it can be hard to find a spot for 4 more performance, however I'm sure they could have include 4 showcase performance if they really want to. They don't. The voice has always been more of a game show with celebrity coach. So the gimmic increase the gameshow aspect of it. Block, Steal, Playoff pass etc.

• Like 2

one clarification regarding playoff pass recipients and the knockout round, in case someone didn't see it in the spoilers thread:

I was under the impression that pass recipients went home after the battles and returned for the playoffs. But according to jem128 on page 418 of the spoilers thread, Mary Kate confirmed they were in the audience to watch the knockouts. So I assume they were filmed by the camera crew and we will see them during the round. While the exposure isn't as good as having a great knockout performance, it's better than being entirely out of sight. In terms of optics, it might cause more people to feel the recipients were actually battle winners since their opponents are fighting for playoff spots.

other U.S. competition shows for comparison:

Platinum ticket winners on American Idol advance directly to the second round of Hollywood Week but are shown sitting in the audience during the skipped first round. They also choose their own partners for the duet challenge.

The America's Got Talent judges and host each press the golden buzzer for one act during auditions. The golden buzzer recipients automatically advance to the live shows and are not seen by viewers until that performance airs.

• Like 1

I just tought of something. You know when Kelly Playoff Pass overwrite Chance Steal. 

What if instead the artist get to choose. Like in the case of a safe / seal  :devilwave:

Would you rather get the playoff pass and perform one less time or get the seal and risk not being in the playoffs. I think most would choose the playoff pass in the spure of the moment since it seem super risky taking the steal.  The drama it would created if someone choose the steal from another team instead of the "convoited" playoff pass. :dead:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dany said:

I just tought of something. You know when Kelly Playoff Pass overwrite Chance Steal. 

What if instead the artist get to choose. Like in the case of a safe / seal  :devilwave:

Would you rather get the playoff pass and perform one less time or get the seal and risk not being in the playoffs. I think most would choose the playoff pass in the spure of the moment since it seem super risky taking the steal.  The drama it would created if someone choose the steal from another team instead of the "convoited" playoff pass. :dead:

The fact that it can "override" a steal, is the writing on the wall that its suppose to be stronger than just any save or steal.

When the 4-Way KO existed, the steal had to be used first, or the save would be the only option left. It's clear that you didn't want to be in the 4-Way KO. The Playoff Pass is worse because you can't even showcase yourself in the KOs, yet TPTB plays it off like it's a god-level save, big L for the artists. 

Edited by QueenMae16