FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

34 minutes ago, peachfuz said:

i think ive made peace with the fact that sorelle is squarely just... not really my thing. i loved their audition – as someone who composes/arranges for an a cappella group, their approach to developing the arrangement for the song was so complex and refreshing – and their battle round was really strong, but they so quickly tumbled into what i think might be the most dated the voice act... maybe ever? the song choices, the presentation, they just... did nothing for me after a certain point. i wish they did more modern songs and i wish they took a less old-fashioned (pun intended) approach to the more modern songs they did on their own. it never felt truly authentic to me unfortunately:/ much respect for them though!!

I feel the same way. Strong audition but  everything after that was extremely bland and lifeless.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 3

I actually thought Fallin was their best one, they kinda slayed there. Not saying certain parts weren’t messy but honestly that was my favorite performance of the SF.

I liked Million Reasons too, at least up until the end lol.

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

I feel the same way. Strong audition but  everything after that was extremely bland and lifeless.

probably one of my favorite auditions of the season and one of my fave battles as well but yeah i don’t think their song choices after that worked.. they lacked the soul especially for ko/po — they’re very poppy/pitch-perfect vibes which means some song choices will feel karaoke 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

probably one of my favorite auditions of the season and one of my fave battles as well but yeah i don’t think their song choices after that worked.. they lacked the soul especially for ko/po — they’re very poppy/pitch-perfect vibes which means some song choices will feel karaoke 

omg they should have sang “the sign” by ace of base 🤣

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

I know you didnt take off show work into account when making your list, But looks like you'll have no choice after Bryce Leatherwood's country masterpiece.

Gotta move him up at least 18 spots after that!

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Kinda hoped y’all would forget about this 💀 But sure, I can get some stuff done:

- NOIVAS writeup 🤭

Gina writeup

- General S24 Review + Huntley writeup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FloorWax said:

Kinda hoped y’all would forget about this 💀 But sure, I can get some stuff done:

- NOIVAS writeup 🤭

Gina writeup

- General S24 Review + Huntley writeup

We're mostly kidding. You can abandon the project if you don't feel up to it.. heck, I've done it a few times with the poll projects I attempted lmao.

Although besides the fact I wanted Nathan to win, was also pretty interested how he'd have ranked. Especially since it was completely unexpected. Ah well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peachfuz said:

im only here to see you obliterate noivas tbh 

I’m telling you guys right now, even before all that stuff came out I was not a fan of anything he did pre-lives. I won’t have much of anything positive to say. :haha:

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

I’m telling you guys right now, even before all that stuff came out I was not a fan of anything he did pre-lives. I won’t have much of anything positive to say. :haha:

as someone who's reviewed some of their performances more recently for my own rankings, the best way to describe how i feel about noivas is that his best vocal efforts were some of the most anxiety-inducing performances ive seen in 25 seasons of the show 

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, FloorWax said:

oh the shade is gonna be delectable to say the least lol 

• Haha 5

In order to convenience myself while making this writeup, I had to watch a Youtube video which happened to be titled "The Best Performances from NOIVAS". However, as I was going through the compilation, something felt... off. I tried fast-forwarding through the video and skipping to certain parts, but to no avail. Maybe it's a Youtube problem, maybe it's a problem with my device, but I just need to ask y'all since I can't be the only one experiencing this issue: how come the best performances from NOIVAS were nowhere to be found?

It certainly can't be his Blind Auditon, the one that had the coaches acting like the next coming of Otis Redding had just showed up to the Voice stage. Sure, the passion was there, the grit was there, but did the entire thing have to feel so disjointed? Maybe something didn't translate from the studio to the version aired on TV, but every time he went for one of those "powerful" moments, I was left unmoved. I remember this being the first leak of S23 back then, and even jayshon who was stanning him hard pre-season was not sure how to feel after it got posted. I, for one, was a loud detractor of this audition, and the manufactured hype that TPTB was trying to pull from it was partially the reason I never warmed up to NOIVAS all season. Not a bad performance, but hard to imagine as a personal best.

So, perhaps his finest moment was in the Battle rounds? Well, I'll give him some credit here: he outsang Ray Uriel! Clearly, a daunting endeavor. And yet, even after trying so hard to make it look like the stage belonged to him, Chance still picked Ray :haha: . Hilarious stuff.

Let's look to the KO now, shall we, often touted as his best work. Unfortunately, even I cannot deny that this was a good moment for him. Really, the only thing negative thing I can say is that his KO marked the first performance where he felt the need to absolutely ham it up with the "stage presence". I'm sorry man, but with the way you present yourself, dragging around the mic stand while stomping across the stage doesn't make you look like a "performer", it makes you look like a creep. Usually, I'm all for contestants giving over-the-top performances, but to me this came off overly cartoonish and slightly cringeworthy to boot. Good vocals! But honestly, given how his live performances ended up going down... I wouldn't be surprised if the audio crew had to do a lot of cleanup.

Still high on whatever he was taking during the KO rounds, NOIVAS came into the Playoffs singing "Come Together" by the Beatles with all the pride of a peacock during mating season. Whereas his KO still felt like a well-planned performance vocal arrangement-wise, his PO seemed like he was focusing more on putting on a show than delivering a coherent vocal. He had his moments here and there, like the duel with the guitar, but aside from that, a lot of the vocal performance felt sloppy. And once again, he continues to do way too much on stage for someone who doesn't have the charisma to pull it off. Still not a "best" performance in my book.

Even though I had never been on the NOIVAS train up to this point, even I could not predict just how far off the rails his Live performances wound up being. Exhibit A: his Semifinals performance. Who in their right mind thought an Adele song would be a good choice for this guy? To be fair, he did not start off on a bad note, but that first chorus was just a disaster. Then, right before the second one, he goes for some long sustained notes which would be impressive... if they didn't sound like absolute crap. I think this is the moment where TPTB finally realized that the NOIVAS experiment was not going to be a success. Even despite being on Team Blake on his last season, he got locked out of a PV by SORELLE and D SMOOTH, who didn't even really have their best nights either. Anyway, this was just a really poor first live showing from NOIVAS, and it certainly would not be the last.

Now, let's talk about NOIVAS' finale. This man's finale is a masterclass... on how to guarantee yourself fifth place. The Chris Stapleton performance was not even that bad, especially compared to the previous week, but the Lenny Kravitz cover was just so awfully-done that any goodwill he might have attained from that first performance just evaporated. I'm not even sure what prompted this song choice either, as it was quite unlike any song he's done previously. This was a trainwreck in every sense of the word, and I think everyone could tell when he was done that he just solidified a last place finish. Fortunately for "Fly Away", it was the last performance from NOIVAS I had to watch today and probably the last one I will watch for a long, long time. As a result, I was actually satisfied by the end of a performance for the first time in this writeup. Hey, there's a first time for everything!

Addressing the elephant in the room, there was obviously so many jabs I could have taken at NOIVAS for stuff that was discovered about him off the show. However, I don't even need to stoop that low to make a scathing writeup out of this man's run. He was a vocalist with an admittedly wide arsenal of skills, but the unwieldiness of his vocal choices coupled with his exasperating stage presence made for one of the least enjoyable run rewatchings I've done for this thread. I'm sure some are still willing to go to bat for some of his pre-lives, which were certainly not awful, but most times I just find him hard to watch, and sometimes even hard to listen to. Let's face it, we all have that one TV person that just really grinds our gears or gets on our nerves, and from the very beginning of his run, that person for me is Savion Wright. Sorry not sorry.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

In order to convenience myself while making this writeup, I had to watch a Youtube video which happened to be titled "The Best Performances from NOIVAS". However, as I was going through the compilation, something felt... off. I tried fast-forwarding through the video and skipping to certain parts, but to no avail. Maybe it's a Youtube problem, maybe it's a problem with my device, but I just need to ask y'all since I can't be the only one experiencing this issue: how come the best performances from NOIVAS were nowhere to be found?

It certainly can't be his Blind Auditon, the one that had the coaches acting like the next coming of Otis Redding had just showed up to the Voice stage. Sure, the passion was there, the grit was there, but did the entire thing have to feel so disjointed? Maybe something didn't translate from the studio to the version aired on TV, but every time he went for one of those "powerful" moments, I was left unmoved. I remember this being the first leak of S23 back then, and even jayshon who was stanning him hard pre-season was not sure how to feel after it got posted. I, for one, was a loud detractor of this audition, and the manufactured hype that TPTB was trying to pull from it was partially the reason I never warmed up to NOIVAS all season. Not a bad performance, but hard to imagine as a personal best.

So, perhaps his finest moment was in the Battle rounds? Well, I'll give him some credit here: he outsang Ray Uriel! Clearly, a daunting endeavor. And yet, even after trying so hard to make it look like the stage belonged to him, Chance still picked Ray :haha: . Hilarious stuff.

Let's look to the KO now, shall we, often touted as his best work. Unfortunately, even I cannot deny that this was a good moment for him. Really, the only thing negative thing I can say is that his KO marked the first performance where he felt the need to absolutely ham it up with the "stage presence". I'm sorry man, but with the way you present yourself, dragging around the mic stand while stomping across the stage doesn't make you look like a "performer", it makes you look like a creep. Usually, I'm all for contestants giving over-the-top performances, but to me this came off overly cartoonish and slightly cringeworthy to boot. Good vocals! But honestly, given how his live performances ended up going down... I wouldn't be surprised if the audio crew had to do a lot of cleanup.

Still high on whatever he was taking during the KO rounds, NOIVAS came into the Playoffs singing "Come Together" by the Beatles with all the pride of a peacock during mating season. Whereas his KO still felt like a well-planned performance vocal arrangement-wise, his PO seemed like he was focusing more on putting on a show than delivering a coherent vocal. He had his moments here and there, like the duel with the guitar, but aside from that, a lot of the vocal performance felt sloppy. And once again, he continues to do way too much on stage for someone who doesn't have the charisma to pull it off. Still not a "best" performance in my book.

Even though I had never been on the NOIVAS train up to this point, even I could not predict just how far off the rails his Live performances wound up being. Exhibit A: his Semifinals performance. Who in their right mind thought an Adele song would be a good choice for this guy? To be fair, he did not start off on a bad note, but that first chorus was just a disaster. Then, right before the second one, he goes for some long sustained notes which would be impressive... if they didn't sound like absolute crap. I think this is the moment where TPTB finally realized that the NOIVAS experiment was not going to be a success. Even despite being on Team Blake on his last season, he got locked out of a PV by SORELLE and D SMOOTH, who didn't even really have their best nights either. Anyway, this was just a really poor first live showing from NOIVAS, and it certainly would not be the last.

Now, let's talk about NOIVAS' finale. This man's finale is a masterclass... on how to guarantee yourself fifth place. The Chris Stapleton performance was not even that bad, especially compared to the previous week, but the Lenny Kravitz cover was just so awfully-done that any goodwill he might have attained from that first performance just evaporated. I'm not even sure what prompted this song choice either, as it was quite unlike any song he's done previously. This was a trainwreck in every sense of the word, and I think everyone could tell when he was done that he just solidified a last place finish. Fortunately for "Fly Away", it was the last performance from NOIVAS I had to watch today and probably the last one I will watch for a long, long time. As a result, I was actually satisfied by the end of a performance for the first time in this writeup. Hey, there's a first time for everything!

Addressing the elephant in the room, there was obviously so many jabs I could have taken at NOIVAS for stuff that was discovered about him off the show. However, I don't even need to stoop that low to make a scathing writeup out of this man's run. He was a vocalist with an admittedly wide arsenal of skills, but the unwieldiness of his vocal choices coupled with his exasperating stage presence made for one of the least enjoyable run rewatchings I've done for this thread. I'm sure some are still willing to go to bat for some of his pre-lives, which were certainly not awful, but most times I just find him hard to watch, and sometimes even hard to listen to. Let's face it, we all have that one TV person that just really grinds our gears or gets on our nerves, and from the very beginning of his run, that person for me is Savion Wright. Sorry not sorry.

I've been waiting so long for this write-up and I was not disappointed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

read him to filth omg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FloorWax said:

how come the best performances from NOIVAS were nowhere to be found?

It certainly can't be his Blind Auditon, the one that had the coaches acting like the next coming of Otis Redding had just showed up to the Voice stage.

doesn't make you look like a "performer", it makes you look like a creep.

Still high on whatever he was taking during the KO rounds, NOIVAS came into the Playoffs singing "Come Together" by the Beatles with all the pride of a peacock during mating season.

that first chorus was just a disaster.

if they didn't sound like absolute crap.

a masterclass... on how to guarantee yourself fifth place

unwieldiness of his vocal choices coupled with his exasperating stage presence made for one of the least enjoyable run rewatchings I've done

• Haha 6