Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Brendan Fraser

3b471413519199aa9cacbe2a8e05cbec6b-brendan-fraser.jpg

While I am excited for the Brendan Fraser career resurgence, I can't say I was particularly connected to Fraser's career where it was a super big deal for me. By all accounts, Brendan Fraser is a great person. He was having his Movie Star Moment in the late 90's and early 2000's with mainstream hits such as The Mummy & George of the Jungle along with baity film projects like Gods and Monsters & Crash. Unfortunately he kind of disappeared for a long time. He spoke out against the HFPA when the president of the organization sexually assaulted him. Because Hollywood protects its own, it caused him to get blacklisted. I know the Golden Globes are making a comeback, and I hope they make positive changes, but I will never forgive them, and Fraser said he can't either which is totally fair. Luckily people began to realize he was being treated unfairly and he's having a bit of a comeback with some good roles finally again. He's receiving lots of Oscar buzz for his performance in The Whale. I'm not sure if it's a movie I'll be rushing to the theater to see, but I'm certainly rooting for him. My favorite Brendan Fraser performance is when he played Jordan's brother Ben on Scrubs. It was a short arc, but also an absolutely heartbreaking one and one of the best moments of the show.

Save Michael McKean

• Confused 1

Emily Blunt

emily-blunt-the-english-premiere-111022-1-6b950f7519194336bd56a73165378fd3.jpg

Since Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling got ridiculously robbed for being the winners of the original game, I think it's only hitting that the alternate winner gets robbed too (iykyk ;)). Like any sane human being, I love Emily Blunt. She had her breakthrough in the 2000's with her scene-stealing performance in The Devil Wears Prada. While Meryl is obviously the star of the film, Blunt absolutely holds her own and created a very memorable character with what could've been a nothing secondary villain. Emily Blunt is such a versatile actress! You've got horror performances like in A Quiet Place! You've got sci fi performances like in Looper! You've got period drama performances like in The Young Victoria! You've got musical performances like in Into the Woods! You've got action performances like in Sicario! You've got family friendly performances like in Mary Poppins Returns! There's nothing I've seen Emily Blunt can't do! Now she's starring in a western limited series called The English?! I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things and I'm planning on watching it. I love Emily Blunt's versatility. I think she picks some intersting projects and she's so easy to root for. She's got the occasionally flop here and there, but who doesn't. Maaaaaaybe this is a petty cut, but I'm not doing it as revenge against anyone so idk if that's considered a petty cut. It was a cut I was gonna do after Ryan & Emma got cut but forgot lol. But since we want a new winner I don't think Emily Blunt winning would be satisfying since she kinda won the first time :giggle:

Save Laurie Metcalf:giggle:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Chris Messina

Chris-Messina-e1607719828204.jpg

The Chris Messina x Amy Adams cinematic universe that brought us from Julie & Julia to Sharp Objects :wub: . Despite the fact that I love this random connection, I think Chris is a fair cut at this point. Chris Messina frequently plays the "boyfriend" character. As mentioned he's the supportive husband in Julie & Julia and the not so supportive detective Amy Adams occasionally sleeps with on Sharp Objects. He is best known for playing Mindy Kaling's boyfriend in The Mindy Project which I have not seen. He plays Claire's future husband in Six Feet Under (though he's a diehard republican and Claire would never actually marry one!!!!!!!!!). He's also arguably Ewan McGregor's boyfriend in Birds of Prey (they played it that way and it makes sense in my head so we're sticking with it). I'd love to see Chris Messina get out there on his own and have his own big project where he's the lead character. He's been in a heap of Indie films I haven't seen so maybe it happened there. But I'll be waiting for the day he gets that role in a big project. But until that day comes, he's a fair cut in this game.

Save Gene Wilder

Sarah Michelle Gellar

sarah-michelle-gellar-SMGINTERVIEW1120-efe6875cb38e42188f546da9b0a45c10.jpg

This is a tough cut as I love her so much. But there's very few easy cuts left and with Buffy winning the tv rankdown, I think she's a threat to be saved over other actors and actresses I prefer. Sarah Michelle Gellar was the queen of the late 90's and early 2000's. Obviously she played Buffy in the iconic Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a tv show I've still never got around to watching but assume I'd love. I know her better from all the silly teen movies she starred in like I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions, and Scooby-Doo. She was a scene stealer in all of these movies, especially Cruel Intentions which would just be a disaster without her. I think the Scooby-Doo movies are so underrated and she was such a perfect Daphne. And of course we have to talk about her relationship with Fred aka Freddie Prinze Jr. which has still lasted to this day ❤️. Unfortunately she hasn't done much in the past decade or so. Hopefully she'll make a comeback one day!

Save Kirsten Dunst

• Sad 1

Ed Harris

Ed Harris — The Movie Database (TMDB)

He's really talented but I'm not really attached to any of his work so I am choosing to cut Ed Harris. Ed Harris is an American actor who has a diverse filmography. He's been in movies I love such as The Truman Show, Apollo 13, and Snowpiercer. His Academy Award nominations came from Apollo 13, The Truman Show, and Pollock, all in the 90s (and 2000). Since then he's kept a prolific career being in such things as The Hours, A History of Violence, and Gone Baby Gone. He starred as John McCain in that TV movie Game Change which I enjoyed. That actually won him a Golden Globe! Ed also has been in the HBO series Westworld which garnered him even more acclaim including an Emmy nom. I enjoy him when he's on my screen but now is his time to peace out.

Save: Paul Rudd

Judy Greer

Judy Greer - Interview, House, Sidekick, Jurassic World

I held out for cutting her for awhile because I think she's hilarious in Arrested Development but I feel this is a fair spot for her. Judy Greer is an actress who definitely leans more into the comedy side of things. My favorite thing I've seen from her is playing the Bluth family business assistant Kitty in Arrested Development, who has a pension for flashing her boobs all the time. She's been in all sorts of smash hit comedy films such as What Women Want, 27 Dresses, 13 Going on 30, and Love & Other Drugs. She had a starring role in the animated sitcom Archer. Besides AD she was also in the shows The Big Bang Theory, Always Sunny, and Two and a Half Men among others. She's been in lots of blockbusters too- Jurassic World, Ant-Man, Planet of the Apes, Halloween, etc. I like Judy for sure, but the cuts are getting tougher and tougher so out she goes here.

Save: Tilda Swinton

• Like 1

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

330px-Yahya_Abdul-Mateen_II_by_Gage_Skid

I have places to be today so I'll just cut one of the actors with a limited filmography and be done with it. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is bst known for portraying Black Manta in the DC Extended Universe Aquaman films and Bobby Seale in the The Trial of the Chicago 7 (a Netflix historical legal drama). He also played Cal Abar in the HBO series Watchmen and won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie. He played a role in Matrix Resurrections lso. In addition, he starred in episodes of The Handmaid's Tale and Black Mirror. Unfortunately, I don't recall offhand which episodes he starred, so that's not enough to save him and as a result, out he goes.

Save: Anjelica Huston

Brie Larson

330px-Captain_Marvel_trailer_at_the_Nati

As others have mentioned, these cuts are getting tougher on the actresses side so my cut today from there will be Brie Larson. She was undoubtedly awesome in The Room and rightfully won an Academy Award for it. She also had a supporting role in Scott Pilgrim, but most of her other roles I just don't know, such Short Term 12 (critically acclaimed but I just haven't seen) or United States of Tara. She's co-written and co-directed two short films, and made her feature film directorial debut with the independent comedy-drama Unicorn Store (2017). She's undoubtedly very talented but I think she needs a few more lead roles to become an A-lister and the majority of her roles seem to be comedy so I'm cutting her, sorry to any fans. 

Save: Gary Oldman

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, #jeah said:

Molly Ringwald

Molly Ringwald: The Youthful Icon of the 1980s ~ Vintage Everyday

I started doing a write-up for her awhile back and then erased it after thinking "no she seems really cool." I still think that but am running out of actresses I want to cut so she gets the axe this time around :haha: Molly Ringwald is an American actress who got her huge break starring in The Facts Of Life, an NBC sitcom that that Lisa lady from Survivor was also in. :giggle:She was a teen star in that and soon after that nabbed a Golden Globe nom for the 1982 movie Tempest. Molly also is well-known for her work in The Breakfast Club...actually now I remember, that's why I didn't cut her. I really liked her in that movie. She also has been in the iconic films Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink. Nowadays she can be seen in the series Riverdale. I thin this is a really fair spot for her since she hasn't done as much lately but I loved her in The Breakfast Club and she's gorgeous! Sorry to cut her.

Save: Maya Rudolph

The way I remember it, Molly Ringwald was a well-known young actress by the the time Facts Of Life was on, and they used her to get the show going, then axed her after the first season. I think she was initially popular for playing the role of Annie? But I'm too lazy to check my facts on Wikipedia before posting, so I don't know.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

First of all, I am surprised that James McAvoy has been able to make it all the way to this point in the rankdown - to be honest, I definitely didn't notice that he was in this rankdown until recently. But now that I've noticed that he was in this, I am also going to eliminate him from the rankdown - I truly don't think that he should have outlasted James Masden, who is way more superior to him ; Just like Masden, he's a very attractive individual.  Anyway, as an actor, I am sure that he is very talented but I can't really confirm as I've barely seen him in anything - I've seen him in Atonement, Chronicles of Narnia, Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Penelope, and some of voiceover work.   He has also been in quite a few superheroes movies which is something that's never on my watchlist so can't confirm if he's good in those movie. Apparently, he was in a few West End plays and musical so he gets some bonus points there but that's not enough for me to save him. 

SAVING: MICHAEL KEATON

Gugu-Mbatha-Raw..gif

There's still a good amount of actors and actresses in the rankdown that I am unfamiliar with their body of work, and I think that's enough to justify me cutting them especially when someone like Brie Larson get cut when there's still a good chunk of lesser known individuals. Anyway, I landed on Gugu Mbatha-Raw, a British actress whom I am not too familiar with, and haven't really seen any of her roles.  It seems that she is best known for appearing in Doctor Who, as well as Black Mirror' San Junipero which I've never seen but I do know that many people likes it & it is considered to be one of the best from Black Mirror. Her breakthrough role came with Belle in 2013 - it is a movie that I've been meaning to watch as I'm sure that I would enjoy it ; I'll eventually get to it.  She also appeared in Miss Sloane, Beauty and the Beast in 2017 - it does seem that I've seen her in to roles ; She also appeared in The Morning Show and Loki - I've been meaning to watch The Morning Show which I'll eventually get to, as well, but I just have too many shows on the go. Anyway, I am sure that she's an incredibly talented actress but her time in this rankdown has come to an end. 

SAVING:  KAITLYN DEVER

031e1b88-5f76-4ba5-bfdb-b7e848cbe5b0_474x264.gif

There's no denying that Alan Alda is a legend, but I also doubt that anyone in this is a super fan of his so I figured that this is a fair cut at this point of the rankdown.  Like many people, I best know Alan for his role as Hawkeye on the hit sitcom, M*A*S*H, despite it airing between 1972 and 1983 - thanks to their many re-runs!  We all know how groundbreaking M*A*S*H was - one of the most watched series finale ever, and all due to people like Alan Alda who also wrote & directed some episodes on the series ; He won the Emmy Awards a total of 5 times, both in the acting, writing and directing category!  Some people may remember him for his appearance on West Wing which earned him an Emmy - I've always meant to watch the series but it's like impossible to find in Canada, and Ray Donovan.  While he's best known for his roles on the small screen, he also appeared in other films like Same Time, Next Year, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Flirting with Disaster, The Aviator, Bridge of Spies, and Marriage Story.  It was no surprises that he was awarded the SGA Life Achievement Award in 2019 for his contributing to the world of acting, which speaks volume as to his status of a legend in the business. Overall, he's a great actor & a legend but not someone that I'm super passionate about, and hopefully, no one is too upset about this cut.

SAVING: CATHERINE O'HARA

Tom Hiddleston

Tom-Hiddleston-e1649355144644.jpeg

I'm really turning me into Chris here cutting all these Marvel actors. I actually like the Marvel movies! I finally saw Wakanda Forever yesterday and it was great! I also enjoy the majority of the actors in the movies. Just not as much as other actors in this game. While I wasn't huge on Renner's Hawkeye or Evans' Captain America when I cut them, I actually am a big fan of Hiddleston's Loki. I think he has done a great job with the character and has made him a really fun and entertaining villain (antihero?). The Loki tv series was not my favorite, but that has less to do with Hiddleston and more with the plot. Unfortunately for Hiddleston, I don't know much of him outside of Loki and Marvel. He's worked with a few great directors such as Joanna Hogg, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo del Toro, and W**dy All*n, but not on any of their strongest or most intersting projects. I find it funny how Hiddleston kinda got stuck in Marvel Land for a bit because I feel like he really wants to be known as a Serious Actor. He was nominated for an Emmy for The Night Manager which I did see years ago and remember liking, but honestly it hasn't really stuck with me as I can't really remember it. I think Hiddleston is good and I look forward to seeing more stuff with him moving forward!

Save Barry Keoghan because see, I can save Marvel actors too!

Beanie Feldstein

Beanie-Feldstein-2b3aa14f1f7642679a36b19aba97b866.jpg

I'm already regretting this cut because I love Lady Bird and Booksmart so much 😭. But I've already started making it so I must commit. Feldstein has had a pretty inconsistent career so far I'd have to unfortunately say. While she was originally known as Jonah Hill's sister, I think she has successfully stepped out from his shadow. As I mentioned she's great in Lady Bird in a small supporting role and wonderful in Booksmart in a leading role (though Kaitlyn Dever has the juicier role). She was also recently in Impeachment: American Crime Story as Monica Lewinsky which I wasn't crazy about (both the season itself or the performance). I don't think it was bad, but it didn't really feel like Monica, just some random person. She had a highly publicized performance as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl on Broadway. I don't go to Broadway shows so I never saw it, but she got kinda destroyed by fans and press alike for her performance and I couldn't help but feel bad. I know Beanie's got a good career ahead of her and I look forward to seeing more of it in the future!

Save Angela Bassett more Marvel!!!!

Sam Richardson

440px-Sam_Richardson_-_Jan_2019_(4690953

I'm familiar with Sam, thanks to his participation on Veep where he was great like most of the cast. I've also seen his acting on We're the Millers, Spy, Neighbours 2, Mike and Dave Need Weeding Dates, Ghostbusters, Office Christmas Party, Ralph Breaks the Internet, The Office and The AfterParty. Veep is definitely his most iconic role from what I've seen from him but I also feel like it is not a groundbreaking role, even if I enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward for the second season of The Afterparty as the first one was entertaining enough. Sorry for any big fans, but I just think he would last long either way.

Saving Jonah Hill

Drew Barrymore

440px-Drew_Barrymore_Berlin_2014.jpg

I love love Drew Barrymore but I'm trying to focus more on the acting skills than whether I like the person. Drew Barrymore is the child poster of a child actress as she started her acting career at the age of 5 and pretty much never stopped. Her first role on ET is definitely iconic but I'm surprised to see that she also was on another movie before that. ET, Batman Forever, Scream, Never Been Kissed, Charlie's Angels, Donnie Darko, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and 50 First Dates are the movies from her that I've watched and all were either good or great. She has also done some television like Grey Gardens and Santa Clarita Diet, winning a Golden Globe for Best Actress for a Miniseries or Television Film for Grey Gardens. I remember she got some acclaim for that performance. Nowadays, she is the host of her own talk show, The Drew Barrymore Show and seems to be doing pretty good.

Saving Patricia Arquette

• Sad 1

Hamish Linklater

Midnight Mass': Father Paul Actor Hamish Linklater on the Ending

Another one that's slipped through the cracks but looking at his filmography I think this is an easy cut. Hamish Linklater is an American actor. He is best known for his work in the sitcoms The New Adventures of Old Christine and The Crazy Ones, as well as the superhero series Legion. He was also in the recent horror miniseries Midnight Mass which I've actually heard really good things about but have not seen. He received critical acclaim for his role in that series including a Critics Choice Award. He did a season of Fargo as well. Hamish is also a playwright, and he has had roles in such movies as Fantastic Four, The Big Short, Battleship, and 42. Unfortunately I'm just not super familiar with him and haven't seen much of the things that he's in so this is an easy cut for me to make.

Save: Steve Carell

Julianne Nicholson

Julianne Nicholson To Play Lead In USA Series 'Eyewitness' – Deadline

Another easy cut for me considering as I'm scrolling through the list of available actresses to cut, I like or love many of them left. I'm not really familiar with Julianne Nicholson despite seeing a lot of the things she's been in. Julianne Nicholson is an American actress whose work includes roles in the movies August: Osage County and Blonde- one of which I liked well enough and the other one I couldn't even finish. She was in Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Masters of Sex, but it was her role in Mare of Easttown which won her a Primetime Emmy Award. She's been also in Boardwalk Empire, Ally McBeal, Tully, Black Mass, I Tonya, and The Outsider. I'm sure she is very talented as evidenced by the Emmy win but out she goes from the rankdown now.

Save: Anne Hathaway

Benicio del Toro

330px-Benicio_Del_Toro_-_Guardians_of_th

Cuts remain easier on the Actors side. Benicio del Toro is an acor who I've seen a handful of his movies, but I don't watch them necessarily for him or remember his name. He has garnered critical acclaim and numerous accolades for his performances as Javier Rodriguez in the films Traffic (2000) and 21 Grams (2003). The latter earned him a second nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Another well-known role of his is Fred Fenster in The Usual Suspects (1995), but I'm not sure we know that movie necessarily for him. More recently he's known for his role as Alejandro (and received several nominations), a mysterious, ruthless agent out to bring down a drug cartel in Sicario, which I still have yet to see. I think he's a fair cut so out he goes.

Save: Jamie Lee Curtis

Issa Rae

issa-rae-emmy-awards-2021-billboard-1548.jpg?w=1024

Similar to Donald Glover, I think Issa Rae is a brilliant creator and writer. But as an actress she definitely hasn't stood out as much compared to everyone else left. Issa Rae is one of those amazing examples of someone who has started off strong but has made such a name for herself in the industry. She had a YouTube show called Awkward Black Girl which developed into Insecure, the iconic HBO show which recently wrapped up its run. Rae received three Emmy nominations for acting on the show, and it's totally deserved, but I think people come away from the show thinking of the brilliant writing and great plots as opposed to Rae's performance. Natasha Rothwell stole every scene she was in in my heart ❤️. Issa Rae is also responsible for other great HBO shows like A Black Lady Sketch Show and Rap Sh!t, but she doesn't act in those. On the film side of things, she's acted in a few things. The Lovebirds was unfortunately a disappointment even though I love Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani. She was also in The Hate U Give, but in a minor role. She's gonna be in the new Spiderverse movie and Greta Gerwig's Barbie movie and I'm really excited for her in both of them. But as just an actress and for what we've seen her in, I'm afraid she's a fair cut.

But since Issa's known for her gif of saying she's rooting for everyone black, I'll save Renée Elise Goldsberry