Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Brian Cox

Brian Cox - Emmy Awards, Nominations and Wins | Television Academy

This is my "I don't really like Succession all that much" cut, oops. I know he's done a lot more than that but that's all I've seen that I really can point him out in. Brian is a Scottish actor who is well known for his portrayal of King Lear in the Royal Shakespeare Company. He has done it all, from theater work to films galore to Emmy-award-winning roles in television. His Emmy was for the docudrama Nuremberg in 2000. He even won a guest Emmy nomination for his work in Frasier. Brian's filmography is extensive and almost never-ending. He's won Golden Globe awards, BAFTA Scotland awards, and numerous critics awards. For his work in Succession as the patriarch of a global media company, he has been nominated for the Emmy. I do enjoy his performance but I think Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin have been superior in what I've seen, I do think the cast is great even if I don't love the show (for too many reasons to get into now). Anyways, out he goes now!

Saving: Javier Bardem

Edited by #jeah

Molly Ringwald

Molly Ringwald: The Youthful Icon of the 1980s ~ Vintage Everyday

I started doing a write-up for her awhile back and then erased it after thinking "no she seems really cool." I still think that but am running out of actresses I want to cut so she gets the axe this time around :haha: Molly Ringwald is an American actress who got her huge break starring in The Facts Of Life, an NBC sitcom that that Lisa lady from Survivor was also in. :giggle:She was a teen star in that and soon after that nabbed a Golden Globe nom for the 1982 movie Tempest. Molly also is well-known for her work in The Breakfast Club...actually now I remember, that's why I didn't cut her. I really liked her in that movie. She also has been in the iconic films Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink. Nowadays she can be seen in the series Riverdale. I thin this is a really fair spot for her since she hasn't done as much lately but I loved her in The Breakfast Club and she's gorgeous! Sorry to cut her.

Save: Maya Rudolph

Christina Hendricks

Mad Men GIF

A goddess in Mad Men, and one of the more interesting supporting characters in the way that the writers used her. I obviously also know her from her 4 episodes on ER, and she had a guest role in Rick & Morty that I remember well. But beyond that I really haven't run into her a whole lot so I feel like this may be a fair placement for her. As part of the ensemble of Mad Men she got many Emmy noms and was part of a couple SAG awards. She was recognized individually by the Critics' Choice TV Awards, and I don't remember if that is prestigious or not but either way it's good and well-deserved

Save Laura Dern

André Holland

330px-Andre_Holland_in_2019_(cropped).jp

Another actor I don't know, except looking through his filmography, I see that he played the other main character, Kevin, in Moonlight. Well since I cut Jharrel, only fitting that I cut his counterpart also. André Holland (born December 28, 1979) is an American actor, widely known for his 2016 performance as Kevin in the Academy Award-winning film Moonlight. In addition to that, he has starred as Dr. Algernon Edwards in the Cinemax series The Knick (2014–2015) and as Matt Miller in the FX series American Horror Story: Roanoke (2016). Never got to Roanoke in AHS unfortunately. Other roles of his include politician and activist Andrew Young in the 2014 film Selma and as well as a lead role onThe Eddy. Don't know him and he's still fairly new to the scene so out he goes.

Save: Winona Ryder

Tom Hardy

confused tom hardy GIF by Venom Movie

I feel like him getting the oscar acknowledgment for The Revenant out of his whole filmography is a little random but hey, whatever works. This guy has been in a TON of movies and franchises but I can't really think of a ~*wow, acting*~ role from him that I was really impressed by. Also can we talk about the fact that Tom Hardy looks IDENTICAL to Logan Marshall-Green??? They are absolutely doppelgangers of each other. Whenever I see Logan in something I'm like "wtf is Tom Hardy doing in this" lol. He was good in Mad Max but Charlize stole the show. His appearances in Nolan films were good but not standouts. His decision to be Venom was super random but hey get that coin

Save Anthony Perkins

Taika Waititi

330px-Taika_Waititi_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.j

Breaking from the norm today and cutting two actors since that list has more expendable people, I will cut another actor I didn't really know. And that will be Taika Waititi! He's a New Zealand filmmaker, actor, and comedian and the recipient of an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, and a Grammy Award. He has two films called Boy (2010) and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) which have been top-grossing films in New Zealand. He co-wrote, co-directed and starred in the horror comedy film What We Do in the Shadows (2014) which is the only role I know him for. I still have to start the TV series, which he was involved in also. Taika's directing credits include Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) and Jojo Rabbit (2019), none of which I have seen although Jojo Rabbit is on my list. He seems like one of the more expendable people left so out he goes.

Save: Alan Rickman

Michael Caine

michael-caine-61bd0b4017464f3d9f4dc255cfe1425f.jpg

Doing this now since it's after midnight and I'd rather not do it tomorrow since I'll be busy all day and likely wine drunk all night. Michael Caine has been in over 160 films and wikipedia calls him a British film icon. Unfortunately for him, I don't think I've seen most of them 🙈. Honestly when I think of Michael Caine, I pretty much think of him as Alfred in the Dark Knight trilogy lol. Obviously he's known for way more than that. He's been nominated for 6 Oscars and won for Hannah and Her Sisters and The Cider House Rules. As a British actor, he's also been nominated for 8 BAFTA's winning for Educating Rita. I obviously don't support Woody Allen, but I do like Hannah and Her Sisters and Caine is great there. I just checked my letterboxd and it says I've only seen 5% of his filmography lol. Sorry Michael Caine, I gotta catch up clearly! I saw he was in Dunkirk and I was confused because I did not remember him at all and that's because it was just an uncredited voice cameo lol. That 5% is looking less and less impressive. Sorry Michael Caine! You're still a British film legend so being cut in this game while Ben Stiller was my first ever save means nothing to you!

Save Jon Hamm

Donald Glover

220218-donald-glover-atlanta-se-1136a-7d6207.jpg

Honestly I still think of Donald Glover more as Childish Gambino than Donald Glover the actor. I'm a pretty big Childish Gambino fan, and I also enjoy Glover as an actor well enough. Atlanta is flawed, but there's some really masterful episodes and characters in there. When it comes to acting, Brian Tyree Henry is the motherf*cking star and Zazie Beetz is amazing, though is not in nearly enough episodes. Glover kinda plays the straight man as Earn, but at least he got to play some wacky characters like Teddy Perkins and Mr. Chocolate to really show off his skills. When I think of Glover's contributions to Atlanta, I think more of his showrunning and writing than acting though. He's also very well known from Community as Troy Barnes. I wouldn't call him the star of the ensemble, but he was always a consistently fun member. I'm a terrible Community fan cutting its second actor from the show. But it is what it is. Glover also played Lando in Solo: A Star Wars Story. I was higher on the movie than most were. I think Glover was a decent enough Lando. Obviously he was no Billy Dee, but I think he held his own. And yeah...that's really about it. I was really excited about his upcoming Mr. and Mrs. Smith series with Phoebe Waller-Bridge and was so disappointed when she exited. But now Maya Erskine's on board so I'm excited again! I think Donald Glover's an extremely talented artist. But from an acting standpoint, he just isn't as impressive as most of the people in the game at this point in his career.

Save Jenifer Lewis

Timothée Chalamet

Timothée Chalamet | BoF 500 | The People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry

I held out for so long yall, I wrote multiple write-ups and erased them, but I'm going to go through with it this time. I enjoy Timothee Chalamet well enough, I think he's a competent and charming actor and definitely has a unique look to him. But I just don't think he's the next greatest actor or anything and I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of his. I think his best performance is easily in Call Me By Your Name (and garnered him a deserved Oscar nom), a movie that is now tainted by the Armie Hammer of it all (plus the whole 24 year old sleeping with a 17 year old aspect and his father being super okay with it, like wtf). Still, The movie is gorgeous and Timothee does a great job and my husband Sufjan churned out some great songs in its soundtrack so I still enjoy the movie. I actually think Armie Hammer gives the better performance of the two though, oops. Beyond that, Timothee scored the lead for the Dune trilogy (series?) and the first movie was fabulous. (Though I am a bigger fan of both Oscar Isaac and Zendaya on that cast). Timothee played the love interest of Jo March in Little Women and did a competent enough job, but it was nothing to write home about for me. I think the theme of my thoughts on Timothee are that he is good, sometimes even great, but I have never really connected with any of his performanes on a deep level. I am interested to see how Bones and All plays out, but the premise is kinda wtf to me. He's definitely a talent and an enigma but I'm just not personally much of a fan.

Save: Paul Newman

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Casey Wilson

Casey Wilson on Why 'Happy Endings' Almost Didn't Have One - WSJ

Not really sure how she's survived this long, but I think this is an easy choice to cut from the actress side of things. Casey Wilson is an American actress and comedienne who actually got her start via a two season stint in Saturday Night Live. Why do I not remember her. Since then she has gone on to see a lovely career for herself. She starred in Happy Endings, a show which many of my friends have recommended to me. I remember watching a couple of episodes and thinking it was cute. She has been in many comedy series since, such as Black Monday, The Shrink Next Door, The Hotwives, and Marry Me. I have heard of none of these unfortunately. Casey has had a few film roles such as in Gone Girl and Julie & Julia. She's done a lot! Out she goes from this rankdown.

Save: Jennifer Coolidge after all that White Lotus talk

Lucille Ball

330px-LDBALL1950s.jpg

Obviouly Lucille Ball is a legend. She was nominated for 13 Primetime Emmy Awards, winning five times, and received several other accolades, such as the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award and two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She is best know for I Love Lucy. Have I seen a single episode of it in my life? No. She also became the first woman to run a major television studio (called Desilu Productions) which produced many popular television series, including Mission: Impossible and Star Trek. Unfortunately, the original Star Trek was boring and I wasn't overly surprised it got cancelled; Next Generation was far superior. Later in her career she starred in the musical Wildcat and starred in The Lucy Show and Life with Lucy, the latter of which was not well-received. She's obviously a legend but I've been holding off on cutting her for awhile and feel it's her time now; not a sitcom fan.

Save: Alicia Vikander

Rosie Perez

330px-Rosie_Perez_2012.jpg

Cutting another actress I don't now particularly well. Rosie Perez seems best known for her portrayal of Tina in the film Do the Right Thing (1989), as well as her role in Fearless (1993) earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, among other awards. Her addiional roles since include It Could Happen to You (1994), The Road to El Dorado (2000), Pineapple Express (2008), and Birds of Prey (2020). Starring in Pineapple Express makes her an easy cut, tbh. She earned three Primetime Emmy Award nominations for In Living Color (1990–1994) and another Emmy nomination for her role in The Flight Attendant (2020–present). She's done some Broadway work and been a host on the View also, but not someone I'm attached to at all so out she goes.

Save: Daniel Craig

15 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Christina Hendricks

Mad Men GIF

A goddess in Mad Men, and one of the more interesting supporting characters in the way that the writers used her. I obviously also know her from her 4 episodes on ER, and she had a guest role in Rick & Morty that I remember well. But beyond that I really haven't run into her a whole lot so I feel like this may be a fair placement for her. As part of the ensemble of Mad Men she got many Emmy noms and was part of a couple SAG awards. She was recognized individually by the Critics' Choice TV Awards, and I don't remember if that is prestigious or not but either way it's good and well-deserved

Save Laura Dern

Love her on Good Girls!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, #jeah said:

Timothée Chalamet

Timothée Chalamet | BoF 500 | The People Shaping the Global Fashion Industry

I held out for so long yall, I wrote multiple write-ups and erased them, but I'm going to go through with it this time. I enjoy Timothee Chalamet well enough, I think he's a competent and charming actor and definitely has a unique look to him. But I just don't think he's the next greatest actor or anything and I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of his. I think his best performance is easily in Call Me By Your Name (and garnered him a deserved Oscar nom), a movie that is now tainted by the Armie Hammer of it all (plus the whole 24 year old sleeping with a 17 year old aspect and his father being super okay with it, like wtf). Still, The movie is gorgeous and Timothee does a great job and my husband Sufjan churned out some great songs in its soundtrack so I still enjoy the movie. I actually think Armie Hammer gives the better performance of the two though, oops. Beyond that, Timothee scored the lead for the Dune trilogy (series?) and the first movie was fabulous. (Though I am a bigger fan of both Oscar Isaac and Zendaya on that cast). Timothee played the love interest of Jo March in Little Women and did a competent enough job, but it was nothing to write home about for me. I think the theme of my thoughts on Timothee are that he is good, sometimes even great, but I have never really connected with any of his performanes on a deep level. I am interested to see how Bones and All plays out, but the premise is kinda wtf to me. He's definitely a talent and an enigma but I'm just not personally much of a fan.

Save: Paul Newman

added to my notes on "why i hate andy"

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

James Marsden

james marsden GIF

Continuing my journey through annoyingly attractive thespians, here goes James who I know best from my beloved X-Men franchise. He was also fun in Hairspray and has guest starred in some sitcoms like Modern Family and 30 Rock that I remember. I think he's a decent comedic actor and a decent action actor. I think his best work I've seen is probably Westworld, but if Evan is gone then no need for him to stick around. I think the coolest part of this guy's career is that he has been nominated for a SAG award for best ensemble 5 times and for 5 different projects. I think that proves he's a solid dependable actor

Save Christoph Waltz

Richard Gere

Richard Gere Oscars 1993 GIF by The Academy Awards

Oops I accidentally saved the hot one this time. If Hugh Grant is the British king of romance, then Richard is the American equivalent. He did so well with Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman that they reunited later for Runaway Bride. He was also in Chicago, which is always legendary to me for being one of those Hollywood musical adaptions with random casting, except this time it was super duper successful in execution. Richard has never been acknowledged individually by the Academy but the Hollywood Foreign Press has given him some love here and there over the years. He got his Globe for Chicago. 

Save Angelina Jolie

tumblr_mc6uvlSH0v1r4uau4o1_500.gif

I feel that Kate Hudson is an actress that everyone knows about but she's never anyone's top favourite. Looking at her filmography, I am actually surprised by how small it is considering her longevity in the business. She started acting in 1998 in Desert Blue which led to being cast in more roles, and eventually, as Penny Lane in Almost Famous which she received praise for her portrayal - this is definitely her signature role, and many would even say that's where she peaked & has been unable to deliver a role of the same caliber ever since.  Despite her Golden Globe win and Oscar nomination, she ended up being one of the poster-child for romantic comedies in the 2000s where she's been in movies like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Brides Wars, Fool's Gold, My Best Friend's Girls, and You, Me, and Dupree.  She also appeared in Nine - the movie was just okay - and Sia's Music which was a problematic movie for many reasons ; She ended up getting a Golden Globe nomination for her role in the movie but also won the award for Worst Actress.  Anyway, I haven't really been WOW'ed by her nor can I say I am a super fan - if you love romantic comedies, you may be a fan but even her portrayal in those movies weren't that excellent.

SAVING: SALLY HAWKINS