Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Rami Malek

rami-malek.jpg

Rami Malek in Mr. Robot is a fantastic performance in a fantastic show and deserving of all of its acclaim. Rami Malek in everything else...Choices were made. As perfect as he is in Mr. Robot, and I cannot stress enough how much I love that show and his performance, I do fear he may just be a one trick pony. Rami Malek is most known for his Oscar winning turn in Bohemian Rhapsody. A very polarizing film and performance nowadays. I don't think I fall in the camp of loving it or hating it. I love Queen so sitting in a movie theater, jamming out to Queen songs, and watching a shot for shot remake of Live Aid is fun to me! Is it an objectively perfect artistic film? No. I don't think Rami's Oscar win is the biggest travesty I've ever seen from the Oscars, but there's other choices I personally would have made. His performances since then have bit a bit yikes. The Little Things was an awful movie I only wasted my time on since it was on HBO Max, but it's two hours of my life I will never get back. He wasn't as bad as Jared Leto, but Denzel ate them all up (and not even he could save that movie). He played the villain in No Time to Die and...yeah he made some weird artistic choices there. Definitely one of my lesser fave Bond villains (not that I'm some huge Bond guy or anything). He's done some voiceover like BoJack Horseman and Legend of Korra and I don't mind him there. Maybe Oppenheimer will push him in the right direction in a live action movie again.

Save Bob Odenkirk

• Like 3

Julianna Margulies

Julianna-Margulies-on-playing-lesbian-06.jpg?quality=75&strip=all

This picture is taken from an article titled "Julianna Margulies hints she's had 'gay experiences'" so feel free to check out the article if you wanna know more about that. That headline might've convinced me to save her if I didn't already have her wikipedia page up. I definitely no of Julianna Margulies and have no reason to doubt she's a great actress. She has headlined iconic shows such as ER and The Good Wife. Unfortunately for her, I haven't watched either of them ^_^. My mom loves them both though so she may be upset by this cut lol. But what she doesn't know won't hurt her! I also hate to be cutting a television kween as a tv stan, but luckily I've worked hard to save others! Probably the only thing I've seen her in was the most recent season of The Morning Show which was awful. She also had a brief guest stint in Scrubs that was fun! Oh she also had a guest stint on The Sopranos I don't remember at all. Her film slate is really bare and I haven't seen a single movie she's been in. I will continue to root for all her successes and hope she stays loyal to tv and maybe stars in some stuff I've seen soon! But until then...she's outta here.

Save Lupita Nyong'o

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Oh she also had a guest stint on The Sopranos I don't remember at all.

She was the random realtor lady who Tony wanted to hook up with but then it turns out that she was dating Chris on the side and she also had a drug problem so obviously that didn't work out since Chris had a drug problem too

Jane Fonda

330px-Jane_Fonda_Cannes_2015.jpg

Jane Fonda is an iconic actress, but not one I have any attachment to. There have been many opportunities to save her and no one has done that, which leads me to think no one else is a huge fan of hers either. She has received many accolades including two Academy Awards, two British Academy Film Awards, seven Golden Globe Awards, a Primetime Emmy Award, the AFI Life Achievement Award, the Golden Lion Honorary Award, the Honorary Palme d'Or, and the Cecil B. DeMille Award. She rose to prominence in the 1960s with primarily comedy films such as They Shoot Horses Don't They, Sunday in New York, and Cat Ballou, and into the 70s with Klute and Julia (nominated for both) among others (shoutout to 9 to 5). Her recent hits include Youth, The Souls At Night, and the Netflix comedy series Grace and Frankie, but I feel she is as at least as known for being an activist than she is an actress, plus being primarily known for comedy roles makes her someone I'm comfortable with cutting considering the other legends we've lost. 

Save: Helena Bonham Carter

Edited by ~Tom~

Matthew McConaughey

matthew-mcconaughey-2000-7c0a15b5c8bc45088b34c072fd948b3e.jpg

Alright, alright, alright. McConaughey is similar to Malek in which he has one AMAZING role (which isn't his Oscar winning roles) and a bunch of mediocre/meh roles. No, we're talking about Rust Cohle in True Detective S1. An iconic season of television, I can confidently say McConaughey will never be in anything this amazing ever again. And I don't mean it as shade it's just in a completely different league from what most actors will do. McConaughey got his start in a few comedies, most notably as a stoner in Dazed and Confused. He soon moved on in the mid-2000's to starring romcoms such as The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. I'm not huge into romcoms unless they're really good and I don't think any of these movies have really stood the test of time to be considered great. In the 2010's he started taking more serious roles. His run from Mud to Magic Mike to Dallas Buyers Club to Interstellar to True Detective is admittedly impressive. It seemed like McConaughey was on his way to becoming somebody. But then he kinda disappeared? He took on some flops and some boring baity Oscary movies that never panned out and now he's kinda dipping his toe into politics which no thanks. He's got some good views and some bad views which I'm sure you could expect from some straight white guy from Texas who does also love pot. Maybe he'll make a comeback one day, but honestly I kinda doubt it? Idk it just feels like McConaughey had his time in the sun and now it's over.

Save Jeremy Strong

Olivia Wilde

GettyImages-1421315237.jpg?w=1581&h=1054&crop=1

Olivia Wilde is kinda #extra and I do think she likes drama, but she's also facing wayyyyyy too much controversy for committing the cardinal sin of dating Harry Styles and his fangirls will probably drag any woman who dares to look at him. I still haven't seen Don't Worry Darling but I love Booksmart and I'm looking forward to seeing more from her directing career. But this is about her acting career which isn't really anything special. She's most known for playing Thirteen, one of the main characters in House in the later seasons, a show which I've seen a few episodes of here and there but never really watched. My favorite performance of hers honestly is as Charlotte in BoJack Horseman. Voiceover work is criminally underrated and she does a great job portraying one of BoJack's exes, who has to set serious boundaries with him when it comes to protecting her family. Her most well known film work is in Tron: Legacy which I have not seen. She's had supporting roles in a few other movies I've seen here and there, but hasn't done really anything that's stood out to me. I think she's transitioning more to behind the camera than in front of the camera and I wish her luck! I've got nothing against her personally like a lot of fans seem to. But as an actress, I'm not a big fan.

Save Olivia Cooke cause she's right next to her lol

Kelvin Harrison, Jr.

Who Is David in the High Note? Meet Kelvin Harrison Jr

He's a cutie! Kelvin is still pretty new to the industry it seems and doesn't have the largest repertoire of work, so I will be cutting Kelvin Harrison, Jr. Kelvin is an American actor who, after having roles in Ender's Game and 12 Years a Slave, broke through with the horror movie It Comes At Night. Since then, he has been on a steady incline, starring in High Note, The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Elvis which I still need to watch. His filmography from 2018 on keeps getting larger and larger so I could see him having an enormous star-making performance on day, but for now I just can't justify cutting him over bigger legends in the game. Here's to hoping for a huge role for Kelvin and I'm rooting for him!

Save: Steven Yeun

Lauren Ambrose

Lauren Ambrose - Rotten Tomatoes

Lauren Ambrose is an actress who has done a lot of work on the Broadway screen. After starring in the popular series Six Feet Under, Ambrose has gone on to star in things like Where the Wild Things Are, Torchwood: Miracle Day, Servant (a horror series on Apple+, sounds super interesting), and the Broadway revival of My Fair Lady. That in particular garnered her lots of awards buzz, giving her a Tony nomination and an Outer Critics Circle Award. She's also in that new drama series Yellowjackets which I've heard amazing things about. I feel like she is someone I would love if I knew more of her work. I say that about most of the people I cut lmfao. Unfortunately her time in this rankdown is over but it seems like she is a very talented actor and I wish her career all the best!

Saving: Penélope Cruz

Courtney B Vance

330px-Courtney_B._Vance_2013.jpg

I decided to cut another actor I don't really know today and that cut happens to be Courtney B Vance. Apart from being married to Angela Bassett, he seems to be known for his Broadway roles. He started his career on there in the original productions of August Wilson's Fences in 1985, John Guare's Six Degrees of Separation in 1990 and Nora Ephron's Lucky Guy in 2013; he won a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play for the latter. He is also known for his roles in films such as Hamburger Hill (1987), The Hunt for Red October (1990), The Preacher's Wife (1996), Cookie's Fortune (1999), Terminator Genisys (2015), Isle of Dogs (2018), and a couple seasons of Law and Order on the television side. Lately he's done a show called Lovecraft Country and won an Emmy Award. Aside fom Fences, don't really know/care about his filmography so out he goes.

Save: JK Simmons

Edited by ~Tom~

Hong Chau

330px-Hong_Chau_2016.jpg

I wasn't sure if I knew who this was, but it turns out yes, Hong Chau appeared in both seasons of Homecoming, and had one of the two main roles in the second season. However, I didn't care for that. Her best role seems to have been Downsizing, for which she was nominated she was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture, the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role, and several other awards. Her other recent projects include Showing Up, The Whale, and The Menu, as well as the TV series Watchmen. I'm excited for The Menu, but only for king Nicholas Hoult. :giggle: She has one of the smaller filmographies of everyone left so I think she's an easier cut at this stage. 

Save: Gillian Anderson

Edited by ~Tom~

Chris Evans

chris-evans-1.png

Unfortunately it appears I will be cutting another Marvel actor named Chris. I probably would've cut all three had we bothered to put Chris Pratt in this game, but I certainly wasn't about to waste a precious spot on him :giggle:. Chris Evans is most known for playing Captain America in the Marvel movies. I feel like I've made my thoughts on Captain America well known, but he's the most boring superhero ever. Not sure if it's Chris Evans fault or just the character. Idk who to blame. His original superhero moment was as the Human Torch in the floptastic Fantastic Four movies. Chris Evans has had quite a career as superheroes, too bad I never liked his. Outside of his superhero stuff...not much meat there. He was great in Knives Out, definitely my favorite performance from him. He's done a few other actions movies and boring melodramas, nothing I particularly care for. I actually think comedy is the route for Chris Evans and would like to see him lean into it more. But at least he just won Sexiest Man Alive so...good for him!

Save Colin Farrell

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gemma Chan

e6d9de2c55906d451d6c7a977c3f383c.jpg

Gemma Chan is stunning and I really want to be a fan, but unfortunately I find her to be a bit of a charisma vacuum. I first remember seeing her in some British shoe Humans. I didn't stick with it, but I did watch the first season. Her character was very stoic, as she was an android. I figured that made sense for the character and she did a great job. But as I've seen her in more things, she still doesn't bring all that much charisma to the screen. While I find Eternals to be underrated, I found Chan to be the weakest part of the ensemble (or Nanjiai but that's just cause I hate the "comic relief" characters). She was arguably one of the main characters but I just found her to be...boring. Same goes for Crazy Rich Asians. Her role was great and she really could've stolen the movie, but you'd be lying if you said you didn't leave the movie thinking about Constance Wu or Michelle Yeoh (or Henry Golding's abs). Idk maybe one day I'll see more charisma and screen presence from Gemma Chan. She obviously has movie star looks and I don't think she's some terrible actress. But she just hasn't sold it for me...yet.

Save Christina Applegate in honor of the new season of Dead To Me coming out today!

Russell Crowe

Russell-Crowe-Kimdir-Kac-Yasinda-Nereli-Russell-Crowe-Filmleri.jpg?fit=2136,1200&ssl=1

No Russell Crowe, I am not particularly entertained by your filmography. Russell Crowe is best known for his Oscar winning role in Gladiator. Other big roles he's had are in The Insider, A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Cinderella Man, Les Misérables, and The Loudest Voice. i've seen most of those movies/shows actually! Russell Crowe is usually a pretty consistent actor, though I can't say I've ever been particularly wow'd by his work or anything. He received a lot of criticism for his work in Les Misérables for his singing voice (or lack thereof). It was never noticeably terrible to me, but it's been a while since I've seen the movie (and I don't see myself sitting through it again). Russell Crowe's also kinda well known for being an assh*le. Maybe he's calmed down over the years idk. But we never like that! I forgot he was in The Nice Guys! That's probably my favorite performance from him, he was very funny! Half my writeups are that these famous dramatic actors should do more comedies, but it's true! Comedy is great! This has been a very long week, sorry for halfassed writeups.

Save Giancarlo Esposito

Emma Roberts

0087201406.original-e1656278947246.jpg

As a Nickelodeon kid I do feel some loyalty to the actors who got their start there (though I never watched Unfabulous that was kinda after my time). But not that much lotalty that Emma Roberts needs to stay in the game any longer. Emma Roberts is best known for...memes? To her credit she does the Bitch character very well. Her characters in Scream Queens and AHS: Coven are still rather iconic to this day. Does Emma Roberts have range outside of that? After graduating from Nick movies and Ryan Murphy shows, her filmography has been abysmal to say the least. I do love We're the Millers though objectively is is not good at all. Joining the Marvel bandwagon, she is gonna be in the upcoming Madame Web movie so we'll see where that leads her. She's had some very messy public relationships with Evan Peters and Garrett Hedlund. I leave you on this note:

bJcII6E.gif

Unfortunately we have seen the last of you in this game.

Save Robin Wright

Margo Martindale

330px-Margo_Martindale_MFF_2016.jpg

Margo Martindale is an American character actress known for her work on television, film, and stage. She is best known for her recurring role as Mags Bennett on Justified, she won a Primetime Emmy Award and a Critics' Choice Television Award for it in 2011. She was also nominated for her recurring role as Claudia on The Americans. While I liked Claudia, it isn't enough to save her. She's played supporting roles in a number of films, including Secretariat, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, The Hours, Million Dollar Baby, Uncle Frank, Dead Man Walking, The Firm, The Rocketeer, Eye of God, Win Win,  Orphan, The Savages, etc.. I like a few of those. Margo also voiced a fictionalized version of herself in BoJack Horseman, which I still have yet to see.

Save: Jane Lynch

• Confused 1

Aaron Paul

330px-Aaron_Paul_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg

An actor mainly known for a supporting role (as Jesse Pinkman) in Breaking Bad? Sounds like an easy cut to me at this stage! To add more about Aaron Paul's role as Jesse Pinkman, he reprised the role six years after the end of the series in the 2019 Netflix film El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie and during the final season of Better Call Saul in 2022. Better Call Saul ended? I thought it was still going on but perhaps it ended recently. After Breaking Bad, he starred in films such as Need for Speed (2014), Eye in the Sky (2015), and Central Intelligence (2016), none of which I have seen. He also voiced Todd Chavez in BoJack Horseman (2014–2020) (I have a pattern tonight, oops), and played the roles of Eddie Lane in the Hulu drama series The Path (2016–2018) and Caleb Nichols in Westworld (2020–2022). While I liked the first season of Westworld and was sad to hear it got canceled, I hear it goes downhill after season 1 so I have no issues making this cut now. 

Save: David Tennant

Timothy Olyphant

confused timothy olyphant GIF by Team Coco

My parents have sworn to me multiple times that Justified is the greatest TV show in the planet. They made me and Lauren sit down and watch the pilot with them. In the first episode he hooks up with some female character, like his ex wife or something and Lauren and I were just like 🙄🙄🙄 and we were not hooked, unfortunately. I was surprised to see that this guy's filmography is pretty extensive. But if you're like me and you haven't seen all of Justified and Deadwood or whatever, Timothy might just be that guy who looks kind of familiar that you think you saw in that one thing 

Save Jim Carrey

Bryce Dallas Howard

black mirror text GIF by NETFLIX

Nepotism aside I don't think she has a super impressive filmography compared to a lot of the other icons on the front page. Also, the ingenue is not always the most exciting or difficult role to play. I liked her in Black Mirror of course, but the script does a lot of the heavy lifting on that show. I also know her from Jurassic World, where she was fine. She was in the Help and was included in a lot of awards and nominations, but because she was part of the ensemble and not because of anything individual. I don't think she's a bad actress by any means though.  

Save Daniel Day Lewis