Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Seth Rogen

330px-Seth_Rogen_at_Collision_2019_-_SM0

I'm not sure how people will take to this cut, but I think it's been a long time coming for the guy most known for the annoying film 40-Year Old Virgin to go. Aside from 40-Year Old Virgin, Seth Rogen is known for other comedy films that range from good (Superbad) to annoying/overrated (Pineapple Express, Knocked Up, Funny People). Considering he's primarily comedy, I'm surprised he wasn't saved or cut sooner, but I'm happy to cut him here. He's also known for Freaks and Geeks and quite a bit of voice acting, most of which I haven't seen or don't care for (i..e Shrek 3). I don't care for Seth Rogen and he's lucky he's lasted this long in this rankdown, honetly. 

Save: Laurence Fishburne

Dan Stevens

Dan Stevens - IMDb

Not me taking out a Hot! Dan Stevens is a British actor best known for his role as Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey. I've never been a huge fan of this series but I know how huge of a following it had so he probably became super famous because of that. Besides Downton Abbey, Dan has been in the live action Beauty and the Beast as The Beast/The Prince. He was in that actually kind of hilarious Eurovision movie with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams. I can't remember who he played though. He's been in a bunch of other stuff but it doesn't seem like he's had a role that has really garnered critical acclaim at this point so I'd say this is a safe cut.

Save: Rachel McAdams

Parker Posey

Parker Posey | Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos | AllMovie

I feel like I have this memory of cutting her in the first rankdown so I will just follow suit here. Parker Posey is an American actress who has worked in so much stuff over the years. She has worked in a large quantity of Christopher Guest's movies and honestly looking at the list I have seen none of them. Besides that, Parker had small roles in Coneheads and Dazed & Confused but really got a huge start towards the end of the 1990s when she starred in You've Got Mail and then Scream 3 in 2000. She's done all sorts of movies and seems pretty versatile in what she does. She also works in television, having roles in Parks & Recreation, Futurama, The Simpsons, etc. She was in the recent Netflix series Lost In Space. I think I saw an episode of that and was meh on it. She really does seem to be a jack of all trades but out she goes from the rankdown now.

Save: Rosamund Pike

Anna Kendrick

anna-kendrick.jpg

Anna Kendrick has come a long way since the Twilight movies. Well most of the Twilight cast has come a long way since then! Kendrick got her start on Broadway and earned a Tony nomination at just 13 years old. Once she became an adult, she started having a solid film career, in supporting roles in movies such as Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 50/50, and Up in the Air which earned her an Oscar nomination. I like all those films, but I also don't think Kendrick really stands out all that much in any of them. In 2012 she got her leading role in the iconic Pitch Perfect franchise. The first movie is pretty fun. I'm not super crazy about the franchise, but I don't dislike it or anything. She's been consistently working since then, but nothing that really jumps out to me. She played Cinderella in Into the Woods and I found her to be really bland unfortunately. I did love her in A Simple Favor and would love to see her in more films like that. She dated Bill Hader which is about the most random relationship I can think of. I like Anna Kendrick, but I'm not really a huge fan.

Save Michelle Yeoh

Edited by Alex95
  • Confused 1

George Clooney

2973.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=0275d8d8fef72a86c40fa85b802312cb

Apologies to the cast of ER as I have now cut their two biggest cast members. Also apologies to Amal Clooney who is a better human being than any of us will ever be. Clooney is a consistently good presence in every movie he stars in. He's got loads of charisma, sex appeal, acting chops, etc. My problem is that I feel like there's no definitive George Clooney performance. Just that "wow" moment where I'm like that is a George Clooney performance and no one else could have done that. I feel like with the majority of his movies, if you replaced him with another actor who is just as talented and charismatic, they would do as good as a job. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I also don't think that's amazing. I was waiting for someone to save him and no one has, so I guess I'll cut him. Take something like Up in the Air since I was just talking about it with Anna Kendrick. George Clooney delivers a great performance. He makes us laugh, he makes us emotional. He doesn't make bad decisions. But if I gave that performance to like Ed Harris or something I think it would still be just as fine. Clooney has starred in many great films. Three Kings, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Ocean's Eleven, Good Night, and Good Luck, Michael Clayton, Burn After Reading, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Gravity, the list goes on. I would not have been upset if Clooney made it to the second half of this game, but he likely would've been one of my earlier targets at this point. Like I said I've got nothing against George Clooney, he simply doesn't excite me.

Save Heath Ledger

Thandiwe Newton

330px-Thandie_Newton_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.

Thandiwe Newton has been in the news lately for her recent divorce, but I also know her for a few roles, namely the sentient android, the madam Maeve Millay in Westworld (for which she received a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and two Critics Choice Awards, as well as nominations for a Golden Globe Award, Saturn Award, and Screen Actors Guild Award), DCI Roz Huntley in Line of Duty, Christine in Crash (2004), for which she received a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Mission Imossible 2, and Linda in The Pursuit of Happyness (2006). She's also been in other films like Libby in Run Fatboy Run (2007), Stella in RockNRolla (2008), Condoleezza Rice in W. (2008), Laura Wilson in 2012 (2009), Tangie Adrose in For Colored Girls (2010), and Val in Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018). While she's been around a while and is definitely talented, I can't say I'm passionate about her so out she goes.

Save: Carey Mulligan

Billy Magnussen

330px-Billy_Magnussen_2011_(cropped).jpg

I don't know who this is upon initial look, and at this point in the game, that's  fair reason to eliminate someone. Billy Magnussen is an American actor who has been featured in the films Into the Woods (2014), Birth of the Dragon (2016), Game Night (2018), and Aladdin (2019), and has had supporting television roles in Get Shorty (2017) and Maniac (2018). More recently, he's beeen in the sci-fi series Made for Love and appeared in the films The Many Saints of Newark and No Time to Die. He's also had minor roles in a few shows I like such as Black Mirror and The Leftovers, but I don't remember him in them despite him beign good-looking. He's also done some Broadway work. Much continued success to him but out he goes now.

Save: Morgan Freeman 

sterling-k-brown-snl-saturday-night-live.gif?fit=640,360&ssl=1

While I do like Sterling K. Brown in the roles that I've seen, I do feel that his work has been very limited to very few well known projects.  For those who are unaware of Sterling K. Brown, he came to prominence on This Is Us in 2016 where he portrayed Randall Pearson which earned him praises as well as the Emmy and the Golden Globe - he was great in the season that I've seen but also justice for Mandy Moore!  In the same year that This Is Us premiered, he also appeared in American Crime Story : The People v. OJ Simpson where he portrayed Christopher Darden, which was another role that earned him praise and the Emmy Award ; I really thought he was excellent in the series.  Beside those two shows, he had supporting roles in Black Panther & Waves, as well in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - I can't speak about any of those roles since I've never seen them, and his biggest role prior to his breakthrough was Army Wives.  All in all, he's a great actor but not enough for me to save him at this point of the rankdown.

SAVING: JESSICA CHASTAIN

Jeremy Renner

la-the-envelope-s-lead-actor-roundtable-201711-027

I kept toying with a Jeremy Renner cut just because Hawkeye is the most boring superhero in Marvel. But then I remembered the entire saga of the Jeremy Renner App and it makes me laugh. I don't really care about youtube videos, but these random popular youtubers exploring the Jeremy Renner App is appointment viewing.

Honestly I do like him as an actor. He's earned two Oscar nominations for The Hurt Locker and The Town and he was great in both those films. I honestly love him in American Hustle and while that movie's so bloated, I think the performance are top notch and really underrated. He was fun in Tag. He was great in Wind River (though that film got buried since it was the last Weinstein film to come out pretty much just as all the shit about him was coming out). I thought he was kinda bland in Arrival, but I love the movie so much idc. So why am I cutting him? He's played Hawkeye in EIGHT different projects and was boring as hell every single time. Why did we need a Hawkeye tv show?! Who the hell asked for that?! Maybe once he escapes Marvel he could be interesting again. Or he'll attempt to revive his singing career or Jeremy Renner App and not be interesting. Simu Liu is gonna tweet about me cutting another Marvel actor but idc!

• Like 1

Matthew Goode

01_11_adow_s01-cb7b976-2000.jpg

Matthew Goode is an extremely charming actor who I've enjoyed in pretty much everything I've seen him in. Unfortunately that's not that much. The numbers are dwindling and the cuts are getting harder and harder. He played Antony in S2 of The Crown and he was amazing. The scenes between him and Vanessa Kirby were heartbreaking. He earned an Emmy nomination for his performance and it was very deserving. Other tv roles he's had include Dancing on the Edge, The Good Wife, Downton Abbey, A Discovery of Witches, and The Offer. I haven't seen any of these shows, but I've heard good things about them, especially Goode's performance in The Offer which I know had some Emmy buzz though he didn't end up getting nominated. On the film side, The Imitation Game and A Single Man are the only movies I've seen him. I already talked about how much I hate The Imitation Game and his role in A Single Man is very small as he's just in flashbacks. I think I saw like 10 minutes of Leap Year as my sister was watching it once and I was kind of in the room? Anyways, I look forward to seeing what he's in next!

Save John Goodman

rs_448x249-160526124459-connie-britton-nashville-tour-oj-simpson-movie.gif?fit=around%7C448:249&output-quality=90&crop=448:249;center,top

The next actress that I am choosing to cut is one that I am very much familiar with her body of work, and one that I do like but I find that she's never the best one in the TV show or movie that she appeared in.  The actress is, of course, Connie Britton which many people know for her role in the sports drama film, Friday Night Lights, in 2004 - a sport movie ? I can't say that I've seen it. And she even went on to appear on the TV series of the same name which earned her lots of praise, and nominated for two Emmy awards ; Never seen it so I can't speak of her role on that show.  She also appeared on the first season of American Horror Story where she portrayed Vivien Harmon - she was definitely outshined by the majority of her castmates on that season, and same goes for her reprisal on Apocalypse.  She went on to appear on Nashville where she showed her vocal chops as Rayna James - her character was the lead one, and she did what she could with the character but once again, she was outshone by a few of her castmates in their respective roles ; She was even nominated for some awards for that show but I feel that others deserved it more than she did.  She continued to work with Ryan Murphy where she portrayed Faye Resnick - who can often be seen on RHOBH, these days - in the first season of American Crime Story, as well as part of 9-1-1 which she left after the first season.  She went on to appear in Dirty John which I always meant to watch but never did, and most recently, she was in The White Lotus but again she was outshone by the other characters / actors / actresses in the series.  Of course, she been in movies but I can't tell that I've seen the majority of them as I find that she's mainly a TV actress rather than movie. Anyway, as I said, I do like her but she's never the star of whatever project that she takes on, and I am fine with her leaving at this point.

SAVING: JESSICA LANGE

• Confused 1