So You Think You Can Dance Season 17

I thought this was a really strong Final 3 show. I really liked or loved every routine. :yes: I kinda wish this Final 3 was the final because I didn't want any of them to go. 😢 But yeah strong show and I don't know which was my favorite dance. I would say the contestant/all-star dances were my favorite, as I felt all the contestants and all-stars brought it there!

Sad for Essence going as I really liked her and it was great seeing a hip-hop female going so far as that doesn't always happen. She had a great journey and should certainly be proud. ❤️ 

Alexis & Keaton do make a great Final 2. I'm sure they will put on a fantastic show and deliver their all!

• Like 2

That was a really good show! Final three really delivered :wub:

Alexis/Keaton Bollywood - I kind of loved it! :haha: It was so much fun! I loved the song, and while it might not have been the most technical Bollywood on the show, they performed it with great energy and made it enjoyable.

Alexis/Essence Contemporary - It was really pretty, but the differences in Alexis vs. Essence technique were quite visible. Still, Essence made a really great progress!

Essence/Robert Hip Hop - The choreography had some cool moments and some that were not so exciting, but they danced it well for what it was. Probably still the best Hip Hop routine of the season? Essence is a beast when she's in her element.

Keaton/Audrey Contemporary - omgosh, it's like they wanted to create a perfect routine for me. :wub: First of all, my girl Audrey has grown leaps and bounds and I am so proud of her. :wub: I have actually sent her a message on Instagram after I watched this routine to tell her how much I loved her in it, and she still remembers me from 10 years ago and responded with such a sweet message and felt like she didn't deserve all of those kind words I wrote her 😭 What a humble, beautiful human being. ❤️ As for Keaton, he impresses me more and more each week, and obviously, I really loved this routine. :wub: I loved Robert's choreography, it was on the level of the old SYTYCD greats. Favourite of the night BY FAR. ❤️
Alexis/Kiki Argentine Tango - I really wanted to love this, but I felt like Alexis has been too nervous and there were moments of disconnection where it looked like she just wanted to make it through it to end of the routine. :( I don't know if pressure got to her, but there have been some clunky moments and one slip, which was saved by Kiki. The beginning was great, but I thought the choreography didn't really showcase Alexis's full strenghts. But she was pretty much the only one who did not get their style, I don't know why they just didn't give her a Latin dance. :unsure:
Essence/Keaton Jazz Funk - Bless Ellenore for hearing us out and turning this piece into a Jazz funk with Hip Hop elements. :dead: I actually loved it! :wub: It was quirky, fun and memorable. I didn't even mind the costumes as I felt they fit the routine. :haha: There have been some moments that could have been hit harder, but knowing they had such little time to rehearse and Essence had injured her knee, they did a great job.

I love the final two and I am so happy that Keaton and Alexis will get to dance again. :spaz: Very sad that Essence had to leave, though. :( She's super sweet and gave it her all this week. Really proud of her making it this far. ❤️

Edited by Erestor
  • Like 2

Definitely the best live-show we've had this season! Ironic, considering how this is easily the most stressful and challenging week for the remaining contestants both regarding the number of routines and the complexity of the choreography thrown at them. 

Keaton/Audrey's Contemporary and Alexis/Kiki's Argentine Tango were the two routines that managed to transport me into a another world by making me forget I was watching a tv show. By comparison Essence/Robert's Hip-Hop was lacking that special factor so I can see why the studio audience chose Keaton and Alexis for the super-final even though Essence tended to fare better with the audience voting the previous few weeks. Robert Green was an absolute pleasure to watch though. My eyes were transfixed on him the entire time.  

During Alexis/Essence's Contemporary routine I couldn't shake the feeling that they might have had music license issues because the song choice felt very fallen out of time. Like, you could have told me that this was performed in Season 1 or 2 and I would have believed it. Though with the white gowns and airy-cheesy vibes of this they might have just wanted to challenge that anachronistic retro-feeling. The only routine tonight I couldn't really get into even with with the underlying positive messages of sisterhood and empowerment.

Alexis/Keaton's Bollywood was very fun and I loved how the two of them just let completely loose. interestingly, this felt like the most free-style Bollywood routine we've seen on this show if only because the choreography felt like it lacked any direction with no discernible story or slightest hint of what kind of character they were supposed to play.

My top 3:

Alexis/Kiki - Argentine Tango (Miriam & Leonardo):

Such a stunning opening sequence! The dark-red lighting, the imagery of Kiki guiding Alexis' body like the accordion he played right before-hand, it all set the mood for a simmering, not quite flashy type of routine that's so unlike any other routine performed this season. Alexis' legs reminded me of knives gliding over the stage, handled by master-chef Kiki to prepare the finest of meals. The moment with Alexis being lifted on tip-toes with bended knees was simply exquisite.

Essence/Keaton - Jazz (Ellenore Scott):

The pre-released pictures of them in boots and overalls already gave off more of a Hip-Hop then Jazz appearance so I was not surprised it ended up being more of the hard-hitting pop-py kind of Jazz rather the more broadway-ish type - which I'm very glad about since this and last season were oversaturated with the latter. I'm always living for the rare cases when a choreographer goes for a flamboyant/fabulous theme which is pretty much only when Brian Friedman or Mark Kanemura grace the stage once in a blue moon. My second favorite routine of the night! Also, I would totally wear those costumes in my free time lol. :giggle:

Keaton/Audrey - Contemporary (Robert Roldan):

Right from the get-go I felt like we were thrust into a movie with Keaton closing the store at the end of a shift when we get to witness his chance encounter with Audrey. Those first few seconds with him at the table and then gliding over to his ex-lover suddenly moving into the frame had such a cinematic feeling to it:  Him, swiftly sliding into the spotlight in full frontal view, an open look on his face, her, stoically approaching, her back turned to the audience, closed-off, distant. This difference in attitude throughout the routine even as they, of course, harmonize while dancing together, had me completely captivated.

I'm not exaggerating, I was frozen on the spot, utterly entranced by every little detail, from Audrey carefully placing her hand on Keaton's chest and then tearing it away as if trying to rip his heart out, or Keaton's trembling arms as he kowtows before her as he seems to beg for forgiveness; or the absolutely seamless transitions like when Audrey performs an arabesque before Keaton whisks her away in a 360 degree spin, seating her on his shoulder in the span of single second.

Another part that struck me was how well-matched the lyrcis happened to be:

"I've acted out my life on stages
With ten thousand people watching"

as they are literally dancing in front of millions of viewers with Keaton drawing from his experience of having his heart broken, while executing that awe-inspiring, acrobatic-looking lift where Keaton lifts Audrey up from his shoulders with both their hands still connected to each other, a flashy, eye-catching moment meant for the masses. And then juxtaposed by

"But we're alone now
And I'm singing this song to you"

as they, along with the rotating camera shot, come to halt on their knees, shortly lingering, before moving into a highly intimate pose, Keaton inaudibly whispering to Audrey as conflicted emotions flash over her face. 

It's amazing to see Robert's growth as a choreographer over the seasons starting off with his routines for Hannahlei/Marko, Gaby/Ezra and now this. The way he intersperses so many little moments of stillness between the fast-paced sections of this routine that allow the dancers to really dig into their emotions is just... I can't really describe it except that it stirs up an almost cruel sense of longing.

No matter how many short-comings people attribute to this season, the fact that I got to follow Keaton's journey made it all worth it. His two Contemporaries, the one tonight and his very first routine by Talia Favia are two of my favorite performances ever on this show.

Edited by zyanazur
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, zyanazur said:

Keaton/Audrey - Contemporary (Robert Roldan):

Right from the get-go I felt like we were thrust into a movie with Keaton closing the store at the end of a shift when we get to witness his chance encounter with Audrey. Those first few seconds with him at the table and then gliding over to his ex-lover suddenly moving into the frame had such a cinematic feeling to it:  Him, swiftly sliding into the spotlight in full frontal view, an open look on his face, her, stoically approaching, her back turned to the audience, closed-off, distant. This difference in attitude throughout the routine even as they, of course, harmonize while dancing together, had me completely captivated.

I'm not exaggerating, I was frozen on the spot, utterly entranced by every little detail, from Audrey carefully placing her hand on Keaton's chest and then tearing it away as if trying to rip his heart out, or Keaton's trembling arms as he kowtows before her as he seems to beg for forgiveness; or the absolutely seamless transitions like when Audrey performs an arabesque before Keaton whisks her away in a 360 degree spin, seating her on his shoulder in the span of single second.

Another part that struck me was how well-matched the lyrcis happened to be:

"I've acted out my life on stages
With ten thousand people watching"

as they are literally dancing in front of millions of viewers with Keaton drawing from his experience of having his heart broken, while executing that awe-inspiring, acrobatic-looking lift where Keaton lifts Audrey up from his shoulders with both their hands still connected to each other, a flashy, eye-catching moment meant for the masses. And then juxtaposed by

"But we're alone now
And I'm singing this song to you"

as they, along with the rotating camera shot, come to halt on their knees, shortly lingering, before moving into a highly intimate pose, Keaton inaudibly whispering to Audrey as conflicted emotions flash over her face. 

It's amazing to see Robert's growth as a choreographer over the seasons starting off with his routines for Hannahlei/Marko, Gaby/Ezra and now this. The way he intersperses so many little moments of stillness between the fast-paced sections of this routine that allow the dancers to really dig into their emotions is just... I can't really describe it except that it stirs up an almost cruel sense of longing.

No matter how many short-comings people attribute to this season, the fact that I got to follow Keaton's journey made it all worth it. His two Contemporaries, the one tonight and his very first routine by Talia Favia are two of my favorite performances ever on this show.

Couldn’t have described it better myself even if I tried. :kalancry: :wub:

This was such an epic Top 3 and truly the best Top 3 that could have happened out of the cast. By the end I was really gutted between Alexis and Essence because I grew to love them both equally. I actually wish they would have just done a Top 6-4-3 for the last three weeks instead of going down to 2, but oh well. Keaton has been absolutely beasting it this season and he keeps getting stronger. I thought his Contemporary and Jazz were 2 of his top 3 performances. Thank God for Ellenore and her Jazz routine because we needed that side of Keaton.

Now if he doesn't get a Hip-Hop next week I'm going to rage. 🙂 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Rewatching World of Dance Season 2, and Alexis, Carter, and Ezra are all in a junior ballroom troupe called The Pulse

Yes, they were good. More about Alexis' background, videos of The Pulse on World of Dance, and a video from Derek Hough's Las Vegas residency can be found on my June 10 post on your Compilation thread.

https://idolforums.com/topic/745717-compilation-of-the-42-dancers-in-the-choreo-round-spoiler-and-the-results/#comment-28882556

16 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Rewatching World of Dance Season 2, and Alexis, Carter, and Ezra are all in a junior ballroom troupe called The Pulse

Oh wow, that's really cool. 😮 I did follow and watch that show so I know I saw them without really knowing who they were. 😮 :haha: 

on at 9et, good luck to them

https://ustvgo.tv/fox-hd-live-streaming/

So You Think You Can Dance

The Season 17 Finale
SEASON 17, EPISODE 12 • FINALE

9:01 PM ON FOX  • TV-14 • STEREO • CC

The final two competitors must impress the judges and voting audience one last time before the winner is crowned; the two finalists must dance five performances each, before the audience decides who outperformed the other and wins the $100,000.

Ahh it's crazy to believe tonight is the finale. 😮 

I'm hoping to watch the show later tonight. If not, for sure tomorrow. Wishing the best of luck to Alexis & Keaton, as they both are deserving finalists! I'm more so rooting for Alexis but would be pleased with either of them winning.  

• Like 2