Most questionable chair turns count.

allistr

Ok so I think this is an interesting topic to talk about. While some auditions are very deserving to get their respective chair turns, there are some questionable performances that are rather underwhelming or too bad/weak to get chair turns, or some great performances that get only few chair turns. Which performances do you think have questionable chair turns?

Edited by Ottoxxx

38 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I think IDF has an obsession with chair turns, they shouldn't be that relevant. With that said, IMO, Season 7 and Season 9 had some questionable four chair turns. 

I mean I knew it happened so I made this anyway.

Like said above, chair turns don’t matter that much. With that being said, there are  some auditions from season 13 that didn’t deserve chair turns, such as Sophie Bollman and Shilo Gold. From this past season, Sophia Bromberg did not deserve a chair. And I didn’t like Connor Christian’s audition from season 20, but I don’t really like his tone.

As for robbed no-chairs, from this season, a lot of the no-chairs actually gave auditions that I think warranted a chair or at least showed potential. Luna Searles and Crystal Rose from S16, Jordan McCullogh from S17, Tracey Preston from S18, Faye Moffett from S19, and Madison Curbelo and Kaitlyn Myers from S20 are contestants I remember that I would have liked to see go further.

Trying to avoid the "everyone I like deserved 4 chairs and everyone I hated turned too many" thing but:

-Katie Rae deserved 1-2 at most

-Hailey Green deserved at least 2

-Carson Peters turned too many

-Keilah Grace turned too many

-Sophia Bromberg... I mean... you know. Nice girl though and her online video redeemed it but in that moment. nah.

-Dana Monique deserved at least 3

-Zae Romeo deserved 2 at most

-Rachel Mac... redeemed with every other round but not a blind worthy of a turn

-Savanna Woods deserved at least 3

-Zania Alake deserved at least 3

-Anna Grace deserved 2-3 at most

-Sid Kingsley deserved 4

-Ben Allen deserved 2 at most

-Tanner Gomes deserved 1 at most

-Nelson Cade III, too many

-Joanna Serenko, too many

-Kailey Abel deserved 3-4 chairs

-Brennan Lassiter, too many

-Will Breman deserved 3-4

-Injoy Fountain deserved 3

-Steve Knill deserved... more

-Khalea Lynee, too many

-Karen Galera deserved more

-Lisa Ramey deserved 2

-LiLi Joy deserved 2

-Kendra Checketts deserved at least 2

-LB Crew turned too many

-Beth Griffith-Manley deserved more

-Cecily Hennigan deserved at least 2

-Franc West deserved at least 2

-Kymberli Joye deserved 4

-Reagan Strange turned too many

-Makenzie Thomas deserved at least 2

-Natalie Brady deserved at least 3

-Jake Wells deserved at least 2

Edited by Someone648

21 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

I think IDF has an obsession with chair turns, they shouldn't be that relevant. With that said, IMO, Season 7 and Season 9 had some questionable four chair turns. 

I'm gonna mention them, i initially mentioned them but deleted it, but it looks like people isn't holding back so neither i am 

-Jonathan Wyndham (One of the worst four chair turns ever)

-Joe Kirk 

-Mia Pfirmann 

-Beth Spangler  

-James Dupre (Yep, @BrokenHearted is right) 

- Lindsey Elm (She deserved to win over Braiden but people overreacted when she was eliminated, it wasn't a great loss, tbh) 

-Mark Hood 

-Dustin Christiensen 

-Evan McKeel (Sorry, i liked his knockout but this wasn't four chair turn worthy) 

- Chris Crump 

- Krista Hughes

Neither of them was worthy of a 4 chair-turn, not surprised that none of them make it far. That's what you get when you have Blake, Pharrell, Gwen and Adam in the same panel.

• Like 2

I´ll say that it´s mostly in recent seasons that the country males have been getting more chairs. We´ve had some of them get 4 chairs in the past, but usually didn´t happen due to either the personal taste of the non-country coaches, or because they thought they had no shot against Blake. Now they´re like "screw it, I´ll go for it". 

Not to mention Kelly is an obvious reason why this is happening, she loves her country males. And John has been pretty adventurous lately too, he goes for them quite a lot.

As for the list, I don´t have the energy nor desire to bash anybody, so I´ll focus on the positive:

S9:

- Jeffrey Austin deserved more than 1. Clearly.

S10:

- Laith Al Saadi gave a 4 chair turn performance for me. And a lead guitar player was something new for The Voice at the time. 

S11:

- Austin Allsup deserved more than one chair, for sure. Terrific acoustic RS version.

- Brendan Fletcher deserved all 4. His voice was made for singing Ray Lamontagne.

S12:

- Jesse Larson deserved more than one for sure. Loved the song choice as well. 

S13:

- Noah Mac deserved more than 2 chairs.

S14:

- Kyla Jade´s audition doesn´t stack up to her later work, but she deserved at least 3 chairs in my opinion.

- Jackie Verna deserved more than one chair. Only Kelly was available at the time apart from Adam, but she should have turned. 

S15:

- Patrique Fortson deserved more than 2 for sure.

- Michael Lee deserved all 4.  Blues, man, blues.

- Dave Fenley deserved more than 2 chairs based on audition alone.

- Mackenzie Thomas deserved more than 1, for sure, but I´m still not sure if the teams weren´t full at the time. Kelly definitely seemed like she wanted to turn around but couldn´t.

- Cody Ray Raymond  deserved more than 2. Great take on Albert King.

- Jake Wells deserved more than one chair as well. Not to mention he got a last second turn. The show didn´t appreciate him.

S16:

- Domenic Haynes deserved all 4.

- Julian King deserved more than 2.

- Ciera Dumas deserved at least 3. Great rasp.

S17:

- Rose Short deserved more than 2.

- Max Boyle deserved more than 2. That acapella opening alone merited it.

- Royce Lovett deserved more than 2. It´s not often we get some good reggae/ska on the show.

- The Hoot deserved at least 2, honestly. He was solid. 

- Steve Knill, at least 3. He was a bit too much at times, but his ability is undeniable.

S18:

- TMH deserved all 4.

- Allegra Miles deserved at least 3.

- Samuel Wilco deserved more than 2.

- Kailey Abel deserved at least 3. Tone for days.

S19:

- Payge Turner deserved at least 3. Those low notes.

- John Holiday deserved all 4. Blake probably thought he had no shot, or he just wasn´t a fan of that high a voice. But still, come on.

- Sid Kingsley deserved all 4 as well. Good thing Kelly understood what he was all about in the battles, so you could say all 4 coaches wanted him at some point.

S20:

- Cam Anthony, deserved all 4. Kelly probably got too scared that she was filling up too quickly, but come on.

- Pete Mroz deserved more than 2.

- Corey Ward deserved all 4.

- Savanna Woods  deserved all 4 in my opinion. And she was on an early taping. 

S21:

- Samuel Harness deserved all 4.

- Hailey Green deserved more than 1. At least 3.

- Paris Winningham deserved at least 3.

- David Vogel deserved more than 1.

- LiBianca deserved at least 3.

- Wyatt Michael deserved more than 2.

I´m sure there´s more but that´s what I got for now.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 2

I legit agree with every one of @Misirlou's choices. All of them.

I guess I'll just focus on who deserved MORE chair turns, too. Just a few that came to mind:

• 3: Trevin Hunte (3). One of Adam's worst moves in his 16 seasons on the show was not turning for Trevin. One of the best auditions of all time.
  • 7: Menlik Zergabachew (2). I still adore his audition, and it was a unique song that I don't think anyone else has ever done. His voice suited the song really well, and it was a pretty and fun audition.
  • 7: Craig Wayne Boyd (2). Controversial, I know. But his audition was so intriguing and just gave a different vibe from most other country artists; it was more raw than most. And he had a great growl to his voice and great ad libbing. I feel like he'd get more chair turns on a modern season, though.
  • 7: Troy Richie (1). Still puzzled about that one.
  • 12: Kawan Debose (3). Controversial choice, but he gave basically THE quintessential "4-chair-turn-70s-soul-vocal-gymnastics" performance. And the coaches didn't know about his attitude problems before they turned. I still don't know why Alicia didn't turn for him.
  • 14: Kyla Jade (2). Her worst performance was STILL top-tier. And it only got better from there. 😏
  • 16: Beth Griffith-Manley (2). Not shocked, though; that woman was robbed from the start of her run, to the tragic end.
  • 20: Cam Anthony (3). Runs for days. Absolute days. There is zero valid explanation for Kelly not turning.
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anybody354 said:

All of these lists are obviously biased, but this really surprised me. I think Khalea’s audition was flawless just from a vocal quality standpoint alone.

Was just about to comment this as well. Khalea's audition was one of my favorites of all time, everything about her performance was amazing. She might've gone a bit overboard with the runs, but she still killed the performance.

• Like 1

Anyways, since everyone else is bringing the claws out, my thoughts:

Should've turned more chairs:

• Luna Searles (Still the biggest robbery ever on this show)
  • MaKenzie Thomas (We know Kelly, at the very least and probably Blake, still had spots on their teams, so why didn't they turn????)
  • Rose Short
  • Carolina Alonso
  • Steve Knill
  • Kyla Jade
  • Sa'Rayah
  • Arei Moon
  • Andrew Jannakos
  • Michael Sanchez
  • Dane and Stephanie

Turned too many chairs:

• Jonathan Wyndham
  • Matt New
  • Emily Hough
  • Ashland Craft and Brennan Lassiter
  • Half of the people in S13 who turned one or two chairs but lowkey should've gotten none 🍵
  • Worth the Waitt
  • Avery Robertson
  • Basically everyone from S9 as everyone has mentioned

Deserved 4

-John Holiday

-Kymberlie Joye

-Kailey Abel

-PATRIQUE FORTSON

-Sa'Rayah

-Steve Knill

-Beth Griffith-Manley

-Cam Anthony

-Victor Solomon

-Samuel Harness

-Bella DeNapoli

-Paris Winningham 

-Christiana Danielle

-Chloe Kohanski 

-Cecily Hennigan

-Gyth Rigdon (based solely on audition)

Edited by erik g
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ikwonic said:

Was just about to comment this as well. Khalea's audition was one of my favorites of all time, everything about her performance was amazing. She might've gone a bit overboard with the runs, but she still killed the performance.

It was the runs that made me not like the audition much. Vocally I think she did fine overall, probably 2-3 worthy in my eyes compared to the rest, but she was the weakest of all the big vocalists that season imo (Myracle, Katie, Rose, etc.)

Edited by Someone648

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, Ottoxxx said:

Adding Justin Aaron to the list.

As for no-chair turners this season, I thought KoKo deserved a chair turn

For some reason I mixed up KoKo and SHEj for a second and was very confused why you thought she deserved a chair... 😂

Anyways, I think:

• Kate Kalvach felt like a 1 chair turn at best. Her version of Rainbow was like, by far, the worst version of that song we've ever had on this show. The fact that we had to end Night 1 AND (kinda) start Night 2 with that performance was torture.
  • Andrew Igbokidi had a strong start to his audition, but it quickly went downhill. I think 2-3 chairs would've made more sense for him.
  • Valarie Harding absolutely deserved 4 chairs for her audition. Period.
  • Julia Aslanli and Lana Love were both way too good for just one chair. 
  • Morgan Taylor is a great singer, but her audition was not 4-chair turn worthy.
  • Ansley Burns getting even a single chair AND a block was INSANE. 
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bouli said:
  • 12: Kawan Debose (3). Controversial choice, but he gave basically THE quintessential "4-chair-turn-70s-soul-vocal-gymnastics" performance. And the coaches didn't know about his attitude problems before they turned. I still don't know why Alicia didn't turn for him.
  • 20: Cam Anthony (3). Runs for days. Absolute days. There is zero valid explanation for Kelly not turning.

Alicia outright said that she was going to help that man get an artist since he was apparently struggling with getting any on his team at the time.  So she did.  It was a sucky reason, but that's what it was.

Kelly was filling up too fast and was scared of being picked again when she wanted to pace herself.  Again, poor excuse, but it was the one that she apparently gave.

• Like 1