How do you feel about twang in country artists?

Misirlou

How do you feel about twang in country artists?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Choose:

• I love it. Feels like authentic country. Bring it on.
    • 50/50. I like it, but in certain measures.
    • I hate it. Can´t stand to listen to it.

I put the same answer as rasps, it can be good but it shouldn’t be overdone, or at least there need to be other aspects for me to not notice it. I have enjoyed singers like Dexter Roberts and Kinsey Rose who have some twang, but there were some country singers that I didn’t like it in (can’t remember specifics at the moment)

I have a gripe about reactions to the twang issue in general.

A lot of southern rockers have twang because they're southern and have the accent. Can't help it. Twang =/= country.  Prime current example is Jason Isbell who writes mostly in rock and folk styles and says he's not a country artist whenever asked. I'd wager half the pieces about him in national media call him country because of the accent and the twang. Annoying af.

There's also twang from deep country singers like Alan Jackson for whom it's also just part of who they are as people and singers.

There is a country twang that's different - more consciously done and often exaggerated. I despise that stuff.

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I have a gripe about reactions to the twang issue in general.

A lot of southern rockers have twang because they're southern and have the accent. Can't help it. Twang =/= country.  Prime current example is Jason Isbell who writes mostly in rock and folk styles and says he's not a country artist whenever asked. I'd wager half the pieces about him in national media call him country because of the accent and the twang. Annoying af.

Jason has said he doesn´t mind being called country depending on the context that they put it in. I´m sure he wants nothing to do with mainstream country though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

Jason has said he doesn´t mind being called country depending on the context that they put it in. I´m sure he wants nothing to do with mainstream country though. 

He never calls himself country.  He even resigned the CMA membership he received unsolicited. He can't avoid having people use the label but he doesn't embrace it.

3 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

He never calls himself country.  He even resigned the CMA membership he received unsolicited. He can't avoid having people use the label but he doesn't embrace it.

Yeah, I´m aware of that one. 

He´s definitely a roots rock/americana artist, and he mixes blues there as well. He does have some songs that are undeniably country, though, but indeed it doesn´t fit the label. Chris Stapleton is more country.

Edited by Misirlou

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, I´m aware of that one. 

He´s definitely a roots rock/americana artist, and he mixes blues there as well. He does have some songs that are undeniably country, though, but indeed it doesn´t fit the label. Chris Stapleton is more country.

Some of his songs are "country" in the way John Prine was country.

I'm good with twang and like it so long as it matches the artist.  Twang is a flavor on the vast country music menu but like Duke's Mayo it's not good on everything.

However, twang for twang's sake from an artist who's speaking voice sounds like they are from Boston is tragically unauthentic.  Ewe. Just ewe!  Full Disclosure:  I've lived is South Carolina and Georgia most of my life so twang is a way of life.  

1 minute ago, Spurrious said:

I'm good with twang and like it so long as it matches the artist.  Twang is a flavor on the vast country music menu but like Duke's Mayo it's not good on everything.

However, twang for twang's sake from an artist who's speaking voice sounds like they are from Boston is tragically unauthentic.  Ewe Just ewe!  Full Disclosure:  I've lived is South Carolina and Georgia most of my life so twang is a way of life.  

Yeah I don't mind it if you live in Georgia or South Carolina but if you lived in Pittsburg all your life stop trying to sound like you are from Georgia or South Carolina.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QueenKalie said:

Yeah I don't mind it if you live in Georgia or South Carolina but if you lived in Pittsburg all your life stop trying to sound like you are from Georgia or South Carolina.

Excatly...it's either real or fake...and I dislike fakes. 

• Like 2