Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Catch Me If You Can (2002 dir. by Steven Spielberg)

catch me if you can GIF

Sorry @Steven_ I did not know that you also loved Into the Wild and figured this would be your easy save. Even if I have nominated this film before, I actually was hoping for a different outcome from my set of nominations! Catch Me If You Can is a film that I find massively overrated and maybe one of the weakest in Spielberg’s catalog? Leo being in the film surely does not help its case, but I would still feel just as ambivalently about the film with a different lead. The story is just not captivating, but I guess I can see why some might like it?

Based on the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Frank Abagnale, which chronicles his supposed cons he completed before his 19th birthday. These cons include posing as a doctor, a Pan Am World Airways pilot, and a parish prosecutor, which apparently all earned him millions of dollars. There is a lot of debate on the truth and reliability of his claims. With the screenplay written by Jeff Nathanson, the film explores themes of broken childhood homes and childhood ~TRAUWMA~ 

Apparently Abagnale felt as though Spielberg was the only person that could make this film and do his story justice. According to interviews after the film, despite some changes to the history of his life, Abagnale feels Spielberg stayed very close to the actual story. Despite factual evidence showing Spielberg deviated quite a bit…

There had been a push to make this film since the release of the book in 1980, but efforts really started in 1997 when DreamWorks and Spielberg purchased the rights to the book. Though Spielberg both produced and directed the film, initially, David Fincher, Cameron Crowe, Gore Verbinski, Lasse Hallström and Miloš Forman were all considered for the director spot at some point. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Abagnale, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, Nathalie Baye, Amy Adams, Josh Brolin, and more. You have fun cameos from Ellen Pompeo, Jennifer Garner, Elizabeth Banks, and Kaitlin Doubleday.

Released in 2002, the film received positive reviews from critics, who praised the performance of DiCaprio and the entertaining story + pacing, but also note that this is not the most enthralling film from Spielberg’s filmography and criticized the long runtime. The film earned a few awards nominations, notably the Best Supporting Actor nom for Walken and the Best Original Score nom for John Williams. But this is not the Spielberg awards-sweeping film. This is one of his more light films. A good ranking for this film, but the game is getting tough now!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana's Noms Next)
Just now, .Rei said:

As someone who doesn’t like Leo, that’s actually my favourite film from him

As someone who doesn’t Like Leo, I actually think it is one of his less noteworthy roles? IDK. I think I just don’t care for the movie itself!

1 minute ago, .Rei said:

As someone who doesn’t like Leo, that’s actually my favourite film from him

I like the CMIYC, it's like the perfect 7/10 movie for me, but the performance is very Fine. It's competent. But I also would've been bitter about literally anything beating Wolf of Wall Street which is probably like a top 5 performance of all time for me.

Kill Bill Volume 2

Kill_Bill_Volume_2.png

As I've indicated earlier in this thread, I recently got around to watching Kill Bill Volume 2. Did I enjooy it for the most part? Yes. Uma Thurman is obviously fabulous in her role as The Bride, as is Daryl Hannah as Elle. Beatrix picks up where she left off in volume 1 to finish the hit list  of all of the people who have wronged her, most importantly ex-boyfriend Bill (played David Carradine), who tried to have her killed four years ago during her wedding to another man. Beatrix killing Elle, after Elle has already killed him using a black mamaba hidden in money she has left for him, is a highlight of the film. Overall I felt Volume 2 focused more on the charatcers rather than the action, and while some may prefer this, I found that this meant a slower pace and more filler, especially in the first half. Volume 2 has reached the top 100 so I feel it's a good spot for it to go. There was talk to a Volum e 3 for a while, but Tarantino doesn't want to do it anytime soon due to the first two being difficult to film.