Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

12. SPACE COWBOY – KACEY MUSGRAVES

304214-space-cowboy.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 3

ERIK: 3

TOM: 3

REI: 7

GIGI: 8

CHRIS: 9

NICO: 9

DEREK: 12

VICTORIA: 12

LILY: 13

STEVEN: 13

RICHARD: 15

WALLACE: 15

ALEX: 18

COREY: 19

ERIK

Kacey has one of the most beautiful voices i've ever heard and this song definitely showcases it

REI

I loved this on my first listening. I guess that i need to go now into Kacey´s discography.

STEVEN

I like this Kacey Musgraves song best of the three here. She sounds very pretty, and the lyrics are well-written too.

RICHARD

Pretty, but definitely the most basic and least distinctive of her three songs here. I feel like the extra bits of production here don’t work nearly as well as they do on “Slow Burn,” too. They sort of detract from the tenderness I think she was trying to achieve. Maybe I was just setting my hopes too high from the title, which actually does sound quite interesting, lol.

WALLACE

giphy.gif

Of the Kacey songs here, this one stands out as my favorite. This is a really pretty, emotional and vulnerable song. She always sells emotion so well with her songs and this is no different. She sounds really pretty here too. The part that always stood out to me was that you could have your space, cowboy. I always found that part unique as I did not expect that from seeing the song. Anyway, this is a really nice song and I do enjoy this from Kacey... and up there as amongst one of my favorites of hers.

COREY

At least this song makes its point, but it's dreadfully slow and depressing.

11. SLOW BURN – KACEY MUSGRAVES

173671-slow-burn.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

RICHARD: 2

CHRIS: 4

LILY: 6

TOM: 6

AKSHAR: 7

ERIK: 8

REI: 9

NICO: 12

GIGI: 13

COREY: 16

VICTORIA: 16

STEVEN: 18

ALEX: 20

WALLACE: 20

DEREK

When this album won the Grammy I was so confused, it felt so random. When I decided to finally listen to the album I thought "well how good could it REALLY be, how could it possibly live up to the insane hype around it" welp I'm here to say that the album is brilliant and also this is one of the best most pure songs ever in my opinion. It has this nostalgic country-psychedelic vibe while still being extremely fresh. A real achievement.

RICHARD

This is just so chill and honestly euphoric. Such a cool and relaxed composition that pairs perfectly with Kacey’s velvety vocals. The simple guitar and banjo paired with the electronic touches that gradually make their way in over time… just fantastic. The song overall is like a brief moment in time that feels like it lasts forever, and in a really nice way.

REI

I know Kacey is quite big nowadays but I dont think I´ve ever listened to any of her songs before. This was a very pleasant surprise. I really like her tone of voice.

COREY

Three Kacey Musgraves songs are unnecessary. This one is mediocre, but good enough to avoid the bottom four, which goes to show you just how bad this list really is.

STEVEN

Maybe this could grow on me, but I found it to be slightly sleepy after listening to it now. It didn't make much of an impression on me to rank it higher than here.

ALEX

Who is this yeehaw and why does she have three songs here?

WALLACE

giphy.gif

"Slow Burn" is a nice and pretty song from Kacey. She pours a lot of emotion here and sounds very pretty on this. This has a nice, relaxing and very easy listening sound to it. I can get how others love this but I can't say it's a big favorite of mine from her. This is a little too mellow and stays on the same level. I would have like a little more build up.

10. FOLLOW YOUR ARROW – KACEY MUSGRAVES

a7ee35dd5f2621af7010b9df6c056cf0.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

TOM: 2

VICTORIA: 4

NICO: 6

RICHARD: 8

GIGI: 9

AKSHAR: 10

COREY: 10

LILY: 10

DEREK: 11

STEVEN: 14

ALEX: 16

WALLACE: 18

ERIK: 19

REI: 20

RICHARD

I’m not typically the hugest on country music, but there’s something very accessible about Kacey’s voice that I really like. That, and she actually seems to be pretty progressive for a country singer. Bonus points here for the fake-out lyric in the first verse, lol. xD

COREY

Not a great song, but it serves as a nice anthem, and it's easy to sing along to.

STEVEN

I like the upbeat arrangement, and the "follow your arrow" message is good too. I can see why fans resonate with this song.

ALEX

Still don’t know who this woman is but this was better than her other ones.

WALLACE

tumblr_n4m7l2jE6h1s5anqko1_500.gif

I don't really follow much of Kacey Musgraves' career but I would think of "Follow Your Arrow" as her signature song? This song does have a strong and powerful message and I feel it's pretty groundbreaking in country music, which good on Kacey for. She sounds pretty and it's a very nice song. Just styliscally, it isn't really my thing or not something I would play much (it's a little too country for me, lol). But again I can get how others would love it.

ERIK

Kacey has one of the most beautiful voices i've ever heard and this song definitely DOES NOT showcase it

REI

Yep, not for me.

9. LOVER – TAYLOR SWIFT

x7yc94tmusv41.png?width=1500&format=png&auto=webp&s=8d72520c908561f1d705d68d0df061062b010737

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 1

CHRIS: 2

AKSHAR: 2

WALLACE: 6

DEREK: 7

REI: 8

STEVEN: 9

ERIK: 13

NICO: 13

TOM: 13

VICTORIA: 13

ALEX: 14

COREY: 18

LILY: 19

RICHARD: 20

WALLACE

6ddda9b899b19ff0328341fb0672fb1300c06bd2.gif

I do really like "Lover" but of the Taylor Swift songs that were put through this round, I would have preferred "...Ready For It" or especially "Out of the Woods" to be here in the finals over this song. But I suppose I still really like "Lover" enough to rank it at #6, so at least this still gets a high ranking from me. Anyway, "Lover" is a really stunning and gorgeous song. It has that vintage old school sound to it? It kinda has a country, indie and other genres sound to it that I can't think of. The verses has this cool, calm and soothing sound to it. From the opening verse, I do love the part where she sings:

Have I known you 20 seconds or 20 years?

Then the chorus (and maybe pre-chorus too?) I do really love that part of the song where she sings:

Can I go where you go?
Can we always be this close forever and ever?
And ah, take me out, and take me home
You're my, my, my, my
Lover

It's all so sweet and romantic! From the second verse, the parts that stands out to me are where Taylor sings:

We could let our friends crash in the living room
This is our place, we make the call 

I've loved you three summers now, honey, but I want 'em all

I actually really love the bridge and think that's probably my favorite part of the song? It changes but I often go back to this part of the song. I especially love the parts where she sings:

Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand?
With every guitar string scar on my hand 

My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue
All's well that ends well to end up with you 

And true to my lover
And you'll save all your dirtiest jokes for me
And at every table, I'll save you a seat, lover

"Lover" is a really sweet and easy listening song from Taylor. I also really enjoy the music video too. It's really pretty and colorful. I have no idea how popular or how well recieved this song is amongst Taylor fans (and non Taylor fans)? So I feel like guessing this song will have a mix of polarizing rankings is a good call to predict. Though I can also see this still doing well and making the Top 10, at least.

DEREK

Everyone should know by now that I'm a Lover truther and while it's not my favorite song off of the album it still holds a special place in my heart.

REI

Lover is such a good feel album and this is the perfect track to have as the album title.

STEVEN

I like "Lover" and think it's a nice and charming song from Taylor Swift. It's not one of the first Taylor Swift songs I would seek out to listen to, but I enjoy it whenever I do happen to hear it. Although I do agree with Wallace in preferring "Out of the Woods" to have been pushed into the finals instead.

ALEX

One of my faves of T Swift.

COREY

I thought I liked this song when it was on the charts. I can't hear any charm in it now.

RICHARD

I feel like my dislike for this one is pretty irrational, haha. But I just don’t like it at all. The song is wordy and lacks a good hook, and the only attempt at a hook (the “my, my, my, my”) is kind of obnoxious.

12. "Space Cowboy" is really pretty from Kacey. I was hoping this wouldn't have been her lowest ranking song but I figured that it would have been, but still a good spot for this.

11. Ugh dang, now I'm ~kinda mad that "Space Cowboy" was so close to "Slow Burn" as I much preferred that and would have rather that be higher. :dead: But lmao I'm not really that mad though. :haha: I am not surprised this one is more polarizing as I did expect some strong love and not some-not-so-strong love for this one. I do agree with Steven that this could be one of those songs that takes a lot of time to grow on me.

10. Ooh danggg, it's crazy to see all 3 of these Kacey songs making it back to back in a row like this. It was hard to predict which of these songs would do the best though I did think it would be either "Follow Your Arrow" or "Slow Burn" to do the best. lol Alex's comment here. I can get this one being polarizing as well.

9. I didn't expect to rank "Lover" so high as I don't love it that much but here we are, lmao. :dead: I think this probably would have been the first song I was expecting to lose out of my Top 7 but then... I'm not too sure. lmaoo wow So many #13 rankings for this song. I think Taylor would appreciate that. :giggle: Oh yay Steven agreeing with me on "Out of the Woods." And a positive comment from Alex on a Taylor song? I'M SHOOK. 😮 Ooh omgg I did not see Richard's irrational dislike for this song coming. :dead:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 16. Veryy happy that my Top 5 is still in tact. ❤️ 

Three more #1s and most of the #20s revealed now.

#1s revealed (6): Alex, Rei, Corey, Derek, Chris, Gigi
#1s remaining (9): Akshar, Derek, Erik, Lily, Nico, Richard, Steven, Tom, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (14): Lily, Victoria, Chris, Akshar, Corey, Tom, Gigi, Erik, Steven, Alex, Wallace, Rei, Richard
#20s remaining (1): Nico

41 minutes ago, Qorey said:

It looks like some kind of guild was formed to get three Kacey Musgraves songs into the Top 20. 😛

Nope. It’s well known that some of us are major Kacey Musgraves fans.

• Like 1

Derek’s comments summarised it for me with Kacey. I didn’t know a lot about her or her music. Kinda labelled her a little with the ‘country’ label and didn’t pay too much attention. Checked out Golden Hour after seeing the hype and truly became one of my favorite albums of recent memory

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Nope. It’s well known that some of us are major Kacey Musgraves fans.

I’m such a big fan. I saw her open for Harry Styles. :dead:

Seriously though, I need to see her on her own tour and Kacey isn’t your typical Country Gal so to speak. There is a reason Golden Hour won Album of the Year. :yes:

Kacey’s songwriting is so witty and refreshing in the Country space. ❤️

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I’m surprised Shake It Out is still in and obviously both Adele songs which I don’t expect to win. 

I’m thinking Carrie gets her much deserved win this round. 🏆

I'm actually not surprised. "Shake It Out" and "Turning Tables" both did really well in the voting round with lots of votes so I expected them to make it really high. I think I'm surprised with "All I Ask" making it this high, as I thought that would have been moreso in the middle of the rankings but not surprised it got to the Top 8.

Although I am having a harder time predicting what song will win. It doesn't seem like anything that will be an obvious winner to win. :haha: It would be really impressive for a country song to win here but it could be possible.