Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

12. WHAT'S MY NAME? – RIHANNA FEAT. DRAKE

7f5f2d8ad69f1b7a6f350009d7d1631a.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 2

COREY: 6

DEREK: 6

RICHARD: 7

WALLACE: 8

LILY: 9

ALEX: 10

GIGI: 10

ELLIOTT: 11

DIANA: 12

AKSHAR: 14

REI: 14

STEVEN: 14

NICO: 16

QK: 17

CHRIS: 18

COREY

Rihanna is responsible for a lot of my favorite songs. This one doesn't sound like the best to begin with, but the song just keeps on going, and picks up momentum through to the end.

RICHARD

Just an all-around solid pop/R&B song. I don’t love the rap part and feel like the song would be stronger without it, but the rest is a really good listen. Definitely a better outing for her than her 2010 tracks that made the top 20 the last time.

WALLACE

3a4adea5-25d6-48e0-aa1f-e21f602d1dda_tex

555e33a0-c2e5-49f2-a1c2-3633da864ec1_tex

I do really love "What's My Name?" and think this is really such a great collabo between Rihanna and Drake. The first of their many fantastic collaborations, I must add! While I am glad "What's My Name?" made it through to the Top 20 here, I am quite sad and disappointed that a lot of her Loud singles got shafted and couldn't quite make it to the end. Namely "S&M" as that was my favorite from Rihanna this era and would have been somewhere in my Top 5, but alas. :broken: But yeah I do got a lot of love for "What's My Name?" as this song is SUCH a jam! This song also missed making it to the finals of the Rihanna discography so I am glad to see it get its justice here - which I know Andy really wanted to see happen. I'm already hooked from Rihanna's opening lines of "Oh na-na, what's my name?." SO fun and catchy! :bobo:

I do love Drake's verse at the start of the song and what he brings to the song. Also about time we finally got some Drake in this Top 20. Thanks through the help of RiRi. Some of my favorite parts from Drake verse are where he raps:

I heard you good with them soft lips
Yeah, you know, word of mouth
The square root of sixty-nine is eight something, right? 

Only thing we have on is the radio
Let it play
Say you gotta leave, but I know you wanna stay 

Say my name, say my name, wear it out
It's getting hot, crack a window, air it out
I can get you through a mighty long day
Soon as you go, the text that I write is gon' say

The square root of 69 is 8 somethin' part really cracks me up for some reason. :dead: I do love Rihanna's parts throughout the song. I love her opening part of the first verse where she sings:

Not everybody
Knows how to work my body
Knows how to make me want it
But, boy, you stay up on it 

Baby, you're a challenge
Let's explore your talent

But ahh then that chorus part of the song that comes in and that part is SOO fun, catchy and is so everything where Rihanna sings:

Hey, boy, I really wanna see if you
Can go downtown with a girl like me
Hey, boy, I really wanna be with you
'Cause you just my type
Ooh, na, na, na, na
I need a boy to take it over
Looking for a guy to put in work
Oh whoa, oh whoa

Rihanna is absolutely JAMMING at that part of the song! :bobo:

Oh na-na, what's my name?

From the second verse, I love the part where she sings:

And ain't nowhere that I'd be
Than with your arms around me
Back and forth, you rock me, yeah
So I surrender
To every word you whisper

Aww that part is actually kinda really sweet. I love it. :giggle: But another one of my biggest favorite / standout parts of the song is THAT bridge where she is singing and belting out the part that goes:

You're so amazing
You took the time to figure me out
That's why you take me
Way past the point of turning me on
You 'bout to break me
I swear you got me losing my mind

Wow I love the range and those vocals she's really bringing at that part! :omg: SO good! 

"What's My Name?" is such a fun jam and one of the very many songs I love from Rihanna. I'm glad to see this making it to the Final 20. I have no idea how well this will do as it seems Rihanna songs can rank and place all over the place here but I'm hoping this does well!

STEVEN

I didn't recognize this song based on the title, but it actually sounds familiar. I like Rihanna's parts of the song; I don't care for Drake's though.

11. BEST THING I NEVER HAD – BEYONCÉ

67be7809f40621bd075a9cf00d2f27b7.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 4

WALLACE: 5

LILY: 6

NICO: 7

DEREK: 8

STEVEN: 9

COREY: 10

ALEX: 11

ANDY: 11

CHRIS: 11

REI: 11

RICHARD: 13

GIGI: 14

ELLIOTT: 15

DIANA: 17

QK: 20

WALLACE

fb9a37925578d3660913151c3621cc27.gif

I'm really so shook and veryy happy to see "Best Thing I Never Had" from Beyoncé making it through into the Final 20! :omg: I definitely always worry for Beyoncé songs in those cuts rounds but thank you to those for not cutting this. ❤️ Although  a fun fact to share, I do remember "Best Thing I Never Had" missing out on my personal Top 10 for 2011 but it's at #5 on my listing of these songs, mainly because most of my Top 10 got cut all throughout the game. 😢 :dead:  Anyway, "Best Thing I Never Had" was a really gorgeous, heartbreaking and inspiring song all in one. Beyoncé does deliver the song beautifully both vocally and emotionally. I do love how she starts off the song with those What goes around, comes back around (Hey, my baby!) lyrics. Yikes, Bey is already meaning business.

Beyoncé sounds really gorgeous singing the opening verse of the song. I love the strength and attitude she has in her voice on that verse. But I really love the part where she slowly builds up the song where she sings:

So when I think of the time that I almost loved you
You showed your a** and I, I saw the real you
Thank God you blew it
Thank God I dodged the bullet
I'm so over you, so baby, good looking out

Then the chorus is simply fantastic and sooo good! :wub:

I wanted you bad, I'm so through with that
'Cause honestly, you turned out to be the best thing I never had
You turned out to be the best thing I never had
And I'm gon' always be the best thing you never had
I bet it sucks to be you right now

I love how she does those little runs at "nooowwww" at the end of the verse. ❤️ I love how she sings and belts out that part in other parts of the song too! From the second verse, I really love the parts where she sings:

So sad, you're hurt
Boo hoo, oh, did you expect me to care?
You don't deserve my tears
I guess that's why they ain't there

That "boo hoo" part kinda cracks me up because lol Bey ain't feeling bad for this guy that's done her wrong. As she should feel. 😘  The bridge is another really great part of the song. I love how the song slows down with Beyoncé delivering a mix of soft beautiful vocals but also a mix of power rangier vocals! I especially love the latter half of the bridge where she sings:

Lord knows that it would take another place, another time
Another world, another life
Thank God, I found the good in goodbye

:omg:

I love the rest of the big booming vocals that Beyoncé delivers and showcases throughout the end of the song! :wub: She sounds fantastic, amazing, flawless and all of that. 😘 Also love the music video too. She looks very beautiful in all of her various different looks and the video showcases the song really well. ❤️ I know that "Best Thing I Never Had" isn't one of Beyoncé's best known/most loved songs like some others that have been in this rankdown, but I do hope it's well liked enough to make it to the Top 10 so keeping fingers crossed for that!

STEVEN

This isn't one of the first songs that comes to mind when I think of Beyoncé's discography, but it's still a good one from her. She sounds great here.

COREY

A Soulful song by Beyonce. It is not even close to my favorite of hers, but it is perfectly fine in my book.

RICHARD

I generally like Beyoncé, but this song isn’t one of my favorites from her.  I feel like the tempo is too fast for the lyrical content, and Beyoncé’s tone here is on the harsh side, which while matching the angry lyrics just isn’t the most pleasant to listen to. I think if the song were taken slower and more deliberately, I'd feel a lot more positively about it.

10. SUPER BASS – NICKI MINAJ

8b2a0434509c5892834e22ed3c68d269.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 2

ALEX: 3

WALLACE: 3

ANDY: 4

RICHARD: 4

COREY: 7

REI: 8

STEVEN: 8

AKSHAR: 12

CHRIS: 13

DIANA: 13

ELLIOTT: 16

GIGI: 18

QK: 19

DEREK: 20

NICO: 20

ALEX

I miss the days of mindlessly listening to Nicki without knowing anything about her :broken:

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114ece93b0d9be4d8b629fca02669d37a10685cf6e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

0180dad3-bcd4-47fb-b1b0-82d91fa89a04_tex

I really love "Super Bass" from Nicki Minaj and am really glad to see it making it through to the Top 20. This was a song I really wanted to see in the finals so I was happy to advance this through with Andy (although it did cause me a sacrifice of losing a song I loved even more that I don't want to think about because ugh. :broken:). But still, "Super Bass" is such an iconic, fun jam from Nicki Minaj. It's certainly up there as amongst one of my favorite songs of hers. I love how this song is like a mix of rap, pop and it can really make you jam out to it! I really love Nicki's rap delivery on this song and the speed of her rapping. The song is just soo infectious! I love how she raps all of her lines. I love how she's getting her flirt on with the guys she's rapping about and has no shame about it - because you know, that's just Nicki for you! :haha: I especially love the latter part of the first verse where she raps:

And he ill, he real, he might got a deal
He pop bottles and he got the right kind of build
He cold, he dope, he might sell 
He always in the air, but he never fly coach
He a trip, trip, sailor of the ship, ship
When he make it drip, drip kiss him on the lip, lip

Then the pre-chorus of the song is really fun where she raps:

I said, excuse me, you're a hell of a guy
I mean my, my, my, my you're like pelican fly
I mean, you're so shy and I'm loving your tie
You're like slicker than the guy with the thing on his eye, oh
Yes I did, yes I did, somebody please tell him who the F I is
I am Nicki Minaj, I mack them dudes up, back coupes up, and chuck the deuce up

LOL at some of those lyrics she's rapping. She reallly does not hold back there. :dead: But I just love her confidence and delivery there. And of course that chorus is so infectious, catchy and just has this fun feel good vibe to it, that I love (which is sung by both Nicki and Ester Dean). :wub:

Boy, you got my heartbeat runnin' away
Beating like a drum and it's coming your way
Can't you hear that boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom, bass?
You got that super bass
Boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom, bass
Yeah, that's the super bass 

Boom [8x]
(You got that super bass)
Boom [8x]
(You got that super bass) 

He got that super bass
He got that super bass

:bobo: SO fun and infectious! :bobo: Nicki continues on killing it on the second verse of the song.

And I think I like him better with the fitted cap on
He ain't even gotta try to put the mack on
He just gotta give me that look, when he give me that look
Then the  comin' off, off, uh
Excuse me, you're a hell of a guy you know I really got a thing for American guys
I mean, sigh, sickenin' eyes I can tell that you're in touch with your feminine side, oh

LMAO Nicki just kills me here. :dead: But then I also love the bridge of the song which is another really cute and fun part of the song where Nicki does some singing there:

See I need you in my life for me to stay
know, know, know, know, know, I know you'll stay
No, no, no, no, no, don't go away (ay-ay) 

Boy, you got my heartbeat runnin' away
Don't you hear that heartbeat comin' your way?
Oh, it be like, boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom, bass
Can't you hear that boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom, bass?

:bobo:

"Super Bass" is just such a legit, fun and infectious song that I do adore and am glad to see make it here! :wub: I also really love the music video. It's so fun, colorful and really fun to watch! I know Nicki is quite a polarizing artist so I'm sure this song will get some affected and polarizing rankings. I have no idea where it will rank - but I really hope it can avoid showing up on the first set. If it does show up there, I would not be surprised but hopefully it can do better than I think.

RICHARD

Definitely my favorite single she’s released to this day. The chorus is serviceable, but the rap parts are where this track hits a lot harder. It’s hard to keep my head from bobbing to the beat, which is a testament to how infectious this song really is.

COREY

At first, Nicki Minaj was an annoying but surprisingly catchy feature in countless songs by other artists. Then she had a few hits of her own. Superbass is the first that made a good impression on me, and it wasn't the last.

STEVEN

Very catchy song. The chorus is my favorite part.

DEREK

I don't hate it but I feel like it will do bad and I don't feel very compelled to try to prevent that

NICO

9. RAISE YOUR GLASS – P!NK

71addc3a3fe7ffe6c78be7aea434dbcb.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

COREY: 1

DIANA: 3

QK: 3

RICHARD: 6

ELLIOTT: 7

ALEX: 9

REI: 10

STEVEN: 11

NICO: 13

LILY: 14

CHRIS: 15

GIGI: 17

ANDY: 19

DEREK: 19

WALLACE: 19

COREY

The ultimate feel good anthem to raise your spirits when you are feeling like a fool. Pink is one of my favorite artists of all time, and "Raise Your Glass" is one of her two best songs.

RICHARD

Definitely one of the songs I associate most with 2011. Very solid pop/rock hit that’s really hooky and definitely hits a little harder.

STEVEN

Solid song from P!nk. The anthemic feel of it is good.

DEREK

She's fine and this song is fine but always does pretty well in the finals so might as well use her to pad my lower rankings

WALLACE

C1Rk.gif

Not another year of a P!nk song I like but not crazy about making it over a P!nk song I really love and wish had made the Top 20 instead. :dead: This happened for me with "Who Knew" making it over "U & Ur Hand" and now with "Raise Your Glass" making it over "Perfect." Anywho, I do like "Raise Your Glass" and think this is a cute and fun song from P!nk. It's never really been a song I loved or all that crazy about from her. The verses are fun, but the pre-chorus and chorus are even more fun where she sings:

Party crasher, panty snatcher
Call me up if you're a gangsta
Don't be fancy, just get dancy
Why so serious? 

So raise your glass if you are wrong
In all the right ways, all my underdogs
We will never be, never be anything but loud
And nitty, gritty, dirty, little freaks
Won't you come on and come on and
Raise your glass!?
Just come on and come on and
Raise your glass!

Lol the part in the bridge where she sings So if you're too school for cool does crack me up a bit. :giggle: I do appreciate the fun and feel good vibe that "Raise Your Glass" gives off. Should be a fun song to play at parties. This was just never a big favorite for me but I get how it is for others and I'm sure I can see this doing well here.

12: Lol it figures the only song with a male artist featured in it with Drake would show up next. :dead: LOL Just kidding. :haha: Love "What's My Name?" and such a jam. It's really hard to predict how Rihanna songs will do as her songs tend to rank all over the place. But oooo this has 8 Top 10 rankings as well. A fun and catchy jam! :bobo: 

11: Aww darn, "Best Thing I Never Had" was so close to making the Top 10. :(:haha: Not too shocked with the ranking as I know this isn't one of Beyonce's best known or recognized songs. But just happy to see it ranking this well. Ooh wow so many #11s for this so I guess it was telling for this to reach #11. :haha: So shook seeing Akshar ranking this higher than Lily & I but I kinda love it. :giggle: 

10: Nicki's "Super Bass" doing a lot better than I expected with making it to the Top 10! :wub: I honestly did not expect this to rank that well and was just hoping for it to avoid the first set. :haha: I did kindaaa think that either this or the Taylor song would have been Nico's #20 so not surprised there. But really shocked seeing this as Derek's #20. :omg: Although ugh Derek.... this actually did really well and better than expected. :haha: But yeah wow, the rankings for this song are all over the place, which I more or less expected and am not surprised. :haha: Pleased with this getting 8 Top 10 ranks though. Love Richard's comment here. Love this fun jam and glad it did so well. :bobo: 

9: Oooh kinda not surprised seeing P!nk's "Raise Your Glass" with such polarizing and all over the place rankings, as I did expect this to rank and fall all over the place. I do feel like this is one of her more polarizing songs as well. But it still did well with 8 Top 10 ranks. Still a fun song but not a favorite of mine from her though I do get the love for it.

I have the following numbers left:  1, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 16. 

#1 and #20 stats so far! A few more #1s got revealed and all of the #20s revealed before the Top 8.

#1's revealed (7): Steven, QK, Alex, Derek, Elliott, Akshar, Corey
#1's remaining (9): Andy, Chris, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, Rei, Richard, Wallace

#20's revealed (16): Chris, Diana, Gigi, Richard, Steven, Akshar, Alex, Andy, Corey, Elliott, Lily, Rei, Wallace, QK, Derek, Nico
#20's remaining (0): all revealed shockingly 😮

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Surprised that Nicki made it all the way to Top 10

I'm really surprised but so happy it happened! :omg: Although you could have helped it do better if you thought it was going to do better. :dead: :claybleh:

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Glad Super Bass made top 10! Say what you want about Nicki, most of it fair, but at one point in time she was truly That Bitch.

She STOLE this song from some of the most iconic men in hiphop. I bow down :wub: :wub:

Yeah, this verse was out of this world and she stole the song with it! :omg: She KILLED it with her verse in this song and I will not hear otherwise. :wub: 

Ooh and I noticed 3 Gaga and 2 Adele songs make up the Top 8. :dead: Definitely not surprised about that. I do feel like Gaga will lose a song in the next set but not sure if she'll lose 2. I feel like both of Adele's will make the Top 4. It's just a matter of figuring out which songs will do better amongst them, which I have no clue on.

Then the others are Taylor, Britney and Christina... and I don't know how those will do. Most of them or maybe all of them will likely show up the next set, I would think. Not sure.

8. JAR OF HEARTS – CHRISTINA PERRI

e2e008dcc198243cc7b95a8c49da7c30.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 2

QK: 2

DIANA: 4

ELLIOTT: 4

AKSHAR: 5

ANDY: 6

REI: 6

CHRIS: 10

LILY: 11

DEREK: 12

GIGI: 12

STEVEN: 16

WALLACE: 16

NICO: 17

COREY: 18

RICHARD: 19

ALEX

Invented songwriting.

STEVEN

It's a well-written song and she sounds nice, but the overall vibe doesn't appeal to me enough to want to give it repeated listens.

WALLACE

collecting-your-jar-of-hearts-tearing-love-apart.gif

I believe "Jar of Hearts" was the first song that introduced me to Christina Perri, and it certainly is a very beautiful. Christina sings this song beautifully and pours so much emotion into what she's singing. I do really like the pre-chorus and chorus of the song where she sings:

I learned to live half alive
And now you want me one more time 

And who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?

From the second verse, I also really like the part where Christina sings:

But I have grown too strong
To ever fall back in your arms

Then another stand out part of the song is the bridge where Christina sings:

And it took so long just to feel alright
Remember how to put back the light in my eyes
I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed
'Cause you broke all your promises
And now you're back
You don't get to get me back

I love the vulnerability and vocal power she showcases there. :omg: It's so beautiful and moving! The way Christina sings the rest of the song is moving too. The song is lovely and the video is really intriguing and interesting to watch. I love all the dancing in it. This is a really good first big hit from Christina Perri and I wouldn't be surprised seeing this do well.

COREY

Depressing and cold, but has some strength, and is memorable.

RICHARD

This song is dreary, and not really in a good way. It just comes across as “sad girl” vibes minus anything actually interesting. I feel like while it’s not a bad listen, lyrically, this could have been written by a 12 year-old (and I wouldn’t be surprised if Christina really did write this around that age).

7. HOLD IT AGAINST ME – BRITNEY SPEARS

b1c9d66053605f2d05d28f952471ebcd.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 2

LILY: 3

GIGI: 5

QK: 5

REI: 7

ELLIOTT: 8

NICO: 8

COREY: 9

STEVEN: 10

WALLACE: 10

ALEX: 12

CHRIS: 12

ANDY: 14

DIANA: 14

RICHARD: 17

AKSHAR: 19

COREY

This song does not live up to Britney's usual flashy, high energy tracks, but it has some warmth to it, and an interesting double entendre.

STEVEN

I do like this song enough to give it a Top 10 ranking here, but I would've preferred "Till the World Ends" to make it to the end if only one Britney song could've been included.

WALLACE

PaVv.gif

I thought Britney had a really strong era of hits on with her Femme Fatale era. Although me being totally honest, "Hold It Against Me" was my least favorite of her big singles eligible for this list, so it's probably the one I could have done without (as I always felt more partial and in favor of "Till the Worlds End" and "I Wanna Go." Although I do still love this song and don't have any problem with this being here, of course). :haha: But just a bummer that I can only place this Britney song 10th whereas others I could have ranked higher but oh well. :haha: 

"Hold It Against Me" was the song that started off this era.  I kinda remember the lead up, release of the song and video all felt like a big event, which was really cool. I do love the beat/music production here as it has that catchy, fun and sexy feel to it which suits Britney really well. I love how she starts off and sings off the opening of the song.

Hey, over there
Please, forgive me
If I'm coming on too strong
Hate to stare
But, you're winning
And they're playing my favorite song

And the rest of the verse is so fun and catchy! :bobo: I kinda love how the chorus changes up on us where the song slows down and it has a calm, breezy but still catchy feel to it where Britney sings:

If I said my heart was beating loud
If we could escape the crowd somehow
If I said I want your body now
Would you hold it against me?
'Cause, you feel like paradise
And I need a vacation tonight
So, if I said I want your body now
Would you hold it against me?

From the second verse, I love the parts where Britney sings:

Hey, you might think
That I'm crazy
But, you know I'm just your type
I might be
A little hazy 

There's a spark
In-between us
When we're dancing on the floor
I want more

Oooh but then that bridge of the song, where the dubstep breakdown comes in at the bridge... Now that part stands out and is SOO good! :omg: I love the beat and music production so much there. It has such a great and fun futuristic sound to it! I enjoy how she sings that part too.

Give me something good
Don't wanna wait
I want it now
Drop it like a hood
And show me how you work it out

"Hold It Against Me" is just another one of the many fun and catchy jams from Britney. :bobo: It's not one of my top favorites from Britney, but I still love it. And relistening to this made me appreciate this more. The music video is also fantastic and just such a joy to watch as well. I'm definitely curious to see how this Britney song ranks. I don't know or think it will do as well as most of her previous songs did - as I'm not sure I can see this cracking the Final 4. But then.... I could be totally wrong and it does end up doing so, so we'll see. 

RICHARD

For a Britney song, I find this a bit on the unremarkable side, with a chorus that’s a little limp and lacking a strong hook. It’s not a bad tune overall, but it doesn’t share the catchiness of a lot of Britney’s other big hits.

6. BACK TO DECEMBER – TAYLOR SWIFT

29972de5b9aab0dec8c75cfbfbf0e30c.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 1

ELLIOTT: 2

STEVEN: 2

QK: 4

NICO: 5

AKSHAR: 7

RICHARD: 8

CHRIS: 9

DIANA: 9

ANDY: 10

WALLACE: 11

REI: 13

DEREK: 15

COREY: 17

ALEX: 18

LILY: 19

STEVEN

"Back to December" is my favorite single from Taylor Swift's Speak Now album (with "Enchanted" as my favorite album track). She sounds very pretty here, and I like the lyrics too.

RICHARD

Not the most memorable Taylor song by any means, but it’s still a really good country/pop track. The production is great, and Taylor’s smooth voice pairs with the instrumentation quite nicely.

WALLACE

SameThatGuppy-size_restricted.gif

I've always loved and really enjoyed "Back to December" from Taylor Swift. In fact, I think of this as my favorite single release from her Speak Now album. I'm not sure how this song is viewed amongst her fandom, but to me, I feel it's kinda got forgotten (though not that forgotten) amongst her biggest singles? I don't know what it is, but this was a ballad of hers I feel always drawn into and invested in while listening to it, which doesn't always happen to me with some of her ballads.... IDK why that is? But I do think "Back to December" is a beautiful song and Taylor sounds very pretty on it. ❤️

From the first verse, I love the parts where she sings "while" and "why," specifically with how she extends those words out. After that, I do love the heartfelt and heartbreaking emotion she pours into singing the pre-chorus and chorus where she sings.

Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind
You gave me roses and I left them there to die 

So this is me swallowing my pride
Standing in front of you, saying, "I'm sorry for that night,"
And I go back to December all the time 

It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you
Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine
I'd go back to December, turn around and make it all right
I go back to December all the time

It's so pretty but oh so sad too. :broken: From the second verse, the part that stands out to me is where she sings:

And realized I loved you in the fall
And then the cold came, the dark days when fear crept into my mind
You gave me all your love and all I gave you was "Goodbye"

I do love how she really pours so much vulnerability and emotion into the bridge, although she does through the whole song but it’s at a higher level here.

I miss your tanned skin, your sweet smile.
So good to me, so right.
And how you held me in your arms that September night:
The first time you ever saw me cry.
Maybe this is wishful thinking,
Probably mindless dreaming,
But if we loved again, I swear I'd love you right.
I'd go back in time and change it but I can't
So if the chain is on your door I understand.

Again, it's all soo good but all so heartbreaking. :broken: Taylor definitely knows how to pull at the heartstrings with these emotional songs and this is no exception. "Back to December" is a great song from Taylor nonetheless and the music video does a great job portraying the song too. I'm a little sad I couldn't squeeze this into my Top 10 somewhere as I would have loved to have done so but 11th will have to work and still is a good spot. I'm curious to see how this does as I can once again, see lots of high and low rankings for this. Maybe I'll be one of the few to have this in the middle? But I'm still hoping it can do well.

COREY

Too slow for my taste, but has some warmth in the melody.

5. BORN THIS WAY – LADY GAGA

8cea76bfbdf351e85d56e823646554c4.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 4

REI: 4

DEREK: 5

STEVEN: 6

WALLACE: 6

DIANA: 7

GIGI: 7

LILY: 7

AKSHAR: 9

ELLIOTT: 9

RICHARD: 10

NICO: 12

COREY: 13

ANDY: 15

QK: 15

ALEX: 16

STEVEN

It's a very catchy song. I like the anthemic feel of it.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167032eb883bfee25d4

"Born This Way" was such a great lead single off of Lady Gaga's Born This Way album, as I felt it really delivered a strong message to kick off the album. The release of this song, video and everything about it, felt like such a major event. "Born This Way" also had a strong and powerful message and is truly such an inspirtational but fun song. This song could be viewed as a positive anthem for groups like the LGBTQ community, racial minorities or any other groups that have faced adversity and hardships. I do love how Lady Gaga sings the song as she pours a lot of heart and passion into the lyrics she's singing here. 

From the opening verse, I do love how she sings:

"There's nothing wrong with loving who you are"
She said, "'Cause He made you perfect, babe"
"So hold your head up, girl, and you'll go far
Listen to me when I say"

But then I really love the chorus - with the feel of the song and how fun and addicting it is where she sings: 

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself, and you're set
I was born this way (Born this way) 

Ooh, there ain't no other way
Baby, I was born this way
Baby, I was born this way (Born this way)
Ooh, there ain't no other way
Baby, I was born this way
Right track, baby
I was born this way

From the second verse, I do love the parts where she sings: 

Give yourself prudence and love your friends
Subway kid, rejoice your truth
In the religion of the insecure
I must be myself, respect my youth
A different lover is not a sin
Believe capital H-I-M

I also really love how strong and powerful the bridge is of the song where Gaga sings:

Don't be a drag, just be a queen
Whether you're broke or evergreen
You're black, white, beige, cholo descent
You're Lebanese, you're orient
Whether life's disabilities
Left you outcast, bullied, or teased
Rejoice and love yourself today
'Cause baby, you were born this way 

No matter gay, straight, or bi
Lesbian, transgendered life
I was born to survive
No matter black, white, or beige
Chola or orient made
I was born to be brave!

Very powerful stuff! :omg: I just love how "Born This Way" has that fun catchy dancey vibe of a true Lady Gaga song but still sends off a powerful message to it. Also the music video is reallly so intriguing to watch too. I don't get what's going on in some of it but Gaga videos are always so eventful! I think I kinda remember this song being kinda polarizing on here, at least in the Lady Gaga discography round? So in that sense I wouldn't be surprised if this is her lowest ranking song but I hope that isn't the case.

RICHARD

Lyrically, this is iconic, but I feel like sonically and production-wise, this might actually be one of Gaga’s weaker singles. I find the chorus a bit boring, and the backing instrumentation doesn’t do her justice. The lyrical content is what makes this rank higher for me, especially the shoutouts to the LGBTQ+ community during a time where taking that sort of stand was more controversial.

COREY

The first of two songs from her second album. This one was more memorable than "The Edge Of Glory" but slightly worse. Good on Weird Al for outclassing her at her own game.

ALEX

Gaga’s very talented but this song is cheesy. It almost feels like a Glee Original Song or something.

8. Well done to Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts" making it to 8th! Lol wow the rankings for this are also really all over the place but it's fascinating to read. :haha: Another song with 8 Top 10 rankings too. This is a beautiful song from her. I'm kinda surprised seeing Richard rank this so low.... which I can't explain. :haha:

7. Hmm I had no idea where to predict Britney's "Hold It Against Me" but 7th is a really good spot for it and not mad at this finish. Ooh this song has 10 Top 10 rankings, the most so far, I believe. I totally agree with Steven in wishing that "Till the World Ends"  was the Britney song represented here, as I think that would have made my Top 5. :haha:

6. Look at Taylor having the non highest Adele/Gaga song of this list. That is GROWTH! 😮:haha: Another song with 10 Top 10 rankings, which is really good. Although interesting how this and my #10 are back to back as I struggled a bit with which to rank higher of the two. :haha: A really gorgeous and stunning song from Taylor so I'm pleased with how well this did. OMGG wait Diana ranked this at 9th? And I only ranked it two spots lower? What is going on? lmaoo. :dead:

5. Oooh a Lady Gaga song finally shows up but of course it's "Born this Way" that shows up first. :dead: I'm kinda not surprised about that as I was thinking that might have been her least loved song of these 3 here. But it's a great, fun song from Gaga. And wow this did really well making it to 5th with no Top 3 rankings. 😮 And oooo 11 Top 10 rankings, the most so far! Still a very good ranking for it.

I have the following numbers left:  1, 7, 9, 14

Yikes. Not my best showing. Rooting for my #1 to win, which I think has a shot of winning. Just hoping my #14 doesn't win it, though it's possible. :dead: 

#1 and #20 stats so far! Only 1 #1 got revealed on this set. So 8 more #1s remain of this Top 4!

#1's revealed (8): Steven, QK, Alex, Derek, Elliott, Akshar, Corey, Gigi
#1's remaining (8): Andy, Chris, Diana, Lily, Nico, Rei, Richard, Wallace

#20's revealed (16): Chris, Diana, Gigi, Richard, Steven, Akshar, Alex, Andy, Corey, Elliott, Lily, Rei, Wallace, QK, Derek, Nico
#20's remaining (0): all revealed shockingly 😮

22 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Lol I figured it would be an all Gaga and Adele final five.

I was wondering if that was gonna happen. Not surprised it did as I couldn't have seen the other 3 songs besting their songs.