Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (1993 - 3-1 Posted)

Alex95

6. The Handmaiden

Tolentino-Handmaiden.jpg

7.5/15

Watch Trailer

@.Rei - 1/15

@totes4totes - 4/15

@Alex95 - 4/15

@goofycilla90 - 7/15

@*Chris - 7/15

@Deeee - 7/15

@FrogLenzen - 9/15

@1234567890 - 10/15

@Elliott - 10/15

@*Diana - 11/15

@Steven_ - 13/15

Megan

A SOUTH KOREAN LESBIAN EROTIC THRILLER. Bless @.Rei and @Deeee for getting it the points to make it through to this final Top 15. It's easily not just one of the best lesbian movies of all time but just one of the best movies of all time PERIOD.

Alex

I've been meaning to watch it for ages because I felt like it was a movie right up my alley and I was completely right. I thought it would be a bit slow, but I actually found it to be exciting and I was completely engrossed in the universe the entire time. Glad I finally got around to watching this.

Dee

I have never seen a more brilliantly gay psychosexual melodrama in my life.

Derek

For Rei

Steven

Sorry to the fans, but I just didn't get around to seeing this yet.

5. La La Land

xlll_d35_05828_r2.jpg

7.3/15

Watch Trailer

@Alex95 - 1/15

@*Diana - 2/15

@*Chris - 2/15

@goofycilla90 - 3/15

@1234567890 - 5/15

@FrogLenzen - 5/15

@Steven_ - 7/15

@.Rei - 12/15

@Elliott - 14/15

@totes4totes - 14/15

@Deeee - 15/15

Alex

Simply stated, La La Land made me fall in love with films. I was a casual movie watcher until La La Land. Is La La Land a culturally significant movie that changed the genre of filmmaking forever? Of course not. Not every movie needs to do that. But I went through every single emotion watching La La Land. I thought about it for days after, I read all about it, I got to meet Damien Chazelle and take a masterclass with him in college which was awesome which is also partly why I'm biased for this movie. The songs are great, unlike Steven I think the ending is flawless and completely elevated the movie to new heights, the directing is brilliant, the performances are amazing, Stone & Gosling's chemistry is palpable. I just think it's a perfectly made movie and will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

Derek

for a movie about becoming an actress (gag!) starring Ryan Gosling (gag!) and featuring lead actors in musical roles that aren't heavily trained (gag!) this is actually really endearing and watchable and fun and great. Not my favorite but they got a lot right here. 

Steven

I like La La Land, but the ending was disappointing. But it was a charming movie with fantastic performances from Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. They really do make a great film duo.

Elliott

Overrated.

Megan

LOLOLOLOLOL. Sorry Alex, I know you love this movie. But I saw it. It was fine. I enjoyed it. But also. I don't know why Damien Chazelle is on this mission to make movies with white people being white saviors to jazz music. It feels like a movie that should have been made about 60 years ago. 

Dee

This is actually not a good movie in my opinion. Stone and Gosling are maybe at their least interesting in this movie? I find the characters a bit insufferable. There is way too much white saviorism in the story - looking at Seb being the "savior" of Jazz music. The middle section of the film drags. Never understood the praise tbh.

4. Moonlight

moonlightx750.jpg

7.2/15

Watch Trailer

@Deeee - 1/15

@FrogLenzen - 2/15

@.Rei - 2/15

@totes4totes - 2/15

@Elliott - 7/15

@*Diana - 8/15

@Alex95 - 8/15

@*Chris - 9/15

@Steven_ - 10/15

@1234567890 - 15/15

@goofycilla90 - 15/15

Dee

One of the greatest pieces of cinema.

Megan

Robbed in the decade rankdown so I'm glad it made the Top 15 here. The only reason it wasn't my obvious number 1 choice was because my boner for sci-fi movies gives me a greater attachment to Arrival over Moonlight. But it's just a beautiful movie with excellent acting and direction. Pretty much perfect all around. 

Alex

Obviously it's a very well made film. Jenkins is a genius and following his career has been really fun. I've been on the record that I think Beale Street is better and I stand by that. I think Jenkins was a lot more confident as a filmmaker. Also the first two episodes of The Underground Railroad are even better. I just haven't had the same experiences with Moonlight as its fan have, but I appreciate the art.

Steven

I was planning to finally watch this movie, but I didn't get around to it. I'm sure it's deserving of all the praise it received though.

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2016 - 6-4 Posted)

3. Train to Busan

Train-To-Busan.jpg

6.8/15

Watch Trailer

@1234567890 - 1/15

@Elliott - 4/15

@goofycilla90 - 4/15

@Steven_ - 4/15

@totes4totes - 5/15

@Deeee - 5/15

@FrogLenzen - 8/15

@*Diana - 9/15

@Alex95 - 11/15

@*Chris - 11/15

@.Rei - 13/15

Elliott

Great film.

Steven

I usually don't care for zombie movies, but Train to Busan really is a great film. It was a thrilling movie that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Although I wanted the ending to play out differently, I understand why it was done that way.

Megan

They are apparently gonna make an American version of this and it will be HOT GARBAGE. Thankfully this one already exists in the world and therefore I never have to watch the American one. 

Dee

Best zombie movie ever made.

Derek

who needs the Walking Dead when you can have a beginning middle and end all in one sitting

Alex

Like The Handmaiden, I've been meaning to watch this for a while and I'm glad I had the opportunity to finally watch it. I was a little underwhelmed though. I thought it was just an average zombie movie. The first act is great, but I wasn't blown away.

2. Your Name.

AAAABRYOhJA6UB524DCbxcji4Wgpkip9DUlf5-W-j4FC0DeO4jeJmqlL5EesEbAcpHpJw1zJm0cewiBk1sSGHIiuhwL9V_qM.jpg?r=6ad

6.5/15

Watch Trailer

@Steven_ - 1/15

@totes4totes - 3/15

@FrogLenzen - 4/15

@.Rei - 4/15

@Deeee - 4/15

@Elliott - 6/15

@*Chris - 6/15

@*Diana - 7/15

@Alex95 - 9/15

@1234567890 - 14/15

@goofycilla90 - 14/15

Steven

Your Name. is one of my all-time favorite movies, so it easily takes the #1 spot for me. At first it may seem like a lighthearted body swapping story, but there's so much more to the film after the plot twist. Your Name. is deep and compelling with themes of love, longing, and fate. It’s also so easy to become emotionally invested as you root for Taki and Mitsuha to find each other again. It's an emotionally moving film with a unique storyline, likable characters, and an ending that feels very rewarding. The movie is also a visual masterpiece. The artwork in this film is truly stunning. The soundtrack is great too; the music perfectly fits the emotions of the movie. I really love this film a lot. Your Name. is a beautifully animated film with a heartwarming story, and I'm thrilled it managed to make it to the final rankings again.

Megan

I'm obviously thrilled the movie made it this far because it's easily my second favorite animated movie of the decade (Into the Spider-Verse was number one but it was UNFAIRLY eliminated). It's really just a spectacular movie and it really feels like the first non-Ghibli movie that really made an impact in the west. It basically shot Makoto Shinkai to like the top of must watch Japanese directors, especially since Studio Ghibli's big names are dead (Isao Takahata) or retiring (presumably Hayao Miyazaki). And if you are a fan of this movie I'd suggest watching the rest of his filmography. It's not too hard to find since only the follow-up (Weathering with You) has like a premier western distributor. None are as good but they are just so full of good and fun ideas. And all are beautiful animation. Hit me up and I think I can tell you how I watched all of them. LOL. This movie is just truly amazing. When the reveal happens like 2/3 of the way through the movie I was like inconsolable for the rest of the time. I do tend to cry a lot during a lot of movies but all my friends who watched it felt the same way. Lots of tears. It's so phenomenal on what should kind of be a cheesy teenage body switching comedy just turns out this really emotionally powerful story.

Dee

I cry every single time.

Alex

I looked back on my writeup of it in the other game and said I was gonna give it another chance and I haven't yet oop. I was underwhelmed when I first watched it for that game. I don't think it's a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it just didn't live up to top 20 of the decade for me. I might still give it another chance though and maybe a rewatch will blow me away.

1. Arrival

Arrival-Video-Essay-How-to-Balance-Fear-and-Intrigue-WP.jpg

4.5/15

Watch Trailer

@FrogLenzen - 1/15

@totes4totes - 1/15

@*Chris - 1/15

@Alex95 - 2/15

@.Rei - 3/15

@*Diana - 3/15

@Deeee - 3/15

@Steven_ - 6/15

@1234567890 - 9/15

@Elliott - 9/15

@goofycilla90 - 12/15

Derek

the surprise Top 3 film from the full rankdown! Deserved.

Megan

It's my favorite movie of the decade. Or close enough. Actually it's not but certainly in the Top 10. Wow that was a journey. I only saw Dune which was 1000 hours because Denis Villenueve directed it. Also because it was free. There has been no bad Villenueve movie. Can you believe Amy Adams wasn't even NOMINATED for an Academy Award for this?????? If Amy Adams had just gotten her well-deserved long-awaited Academy Award for this she would have never done the garbage that was that hillbilly movie.

Alex

Cinematic excellence! There's nothing more to say. Even though I have a soft spot for La La Land, Arrival is objectively the best movie of the year and I'm so thrilled to see it win.

Dee

Amy Adams needed her Oscar for this.

Steven

This was a great movie with a clever twist on the alien invasion story. Amy Adams should've been nominated for an Oscar for this.

• Like 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2016 - 3-1 Posted)
4 hours ago, Deeee said:

Moonlight rankings fourth? Hmmm. Hard disagree. Truly an important piece of cinema. The last place rankings truly make no sense.

I didn’t want it to win. Perfect sense. 😘

I’m fine with Arrival winning. This was just a strong set of films. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Blue_Animated_2015.gif?m=1412434860

We have 164 films to knock down to our top 15 of 2015.

The 33

45 Years

99 Homes

Adult Beginners

The Age of Adaline

Aloha

Amy

Anomalisa

Ant-Man

The Assassin

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Beasts of No Nation

The Big Short

Black Mass

Bone Tomahawk

Boy and the World

The Boy Next Door

Bridge of Spies

Brooklyn

Burnt

Carol

Cartel Land

Cinderella

The Club

Concussion

Creed

Crimson Peak

The D Train

Daddy's Home

The Danish Girl

Danny Collins

The Diary of a Teenage Girl

The Divergent Series: Insurgent

Dope

The DUFF

Embrace of the Serpent

The End of the Tour

Entourage

Everest

Ex Machina

Far from the Madding Crowd

The Fencer

Fifty Shades of Grey

The Final Girls

Focus

Furious 7

Get Hard

The Gift

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

The Good Dinosaur

Goodnight Mommy

Goosebumps

Grandma

The Hateful Eight

He Named Me Malala

Heaven Knows What

Home

Hot Pursuit

Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Hotel Transylvania 2

Howl

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2

The Hunting Ground

I Smile Back

I'll See You in My Dreams

Infinitely Polar Bear

Inside Out

Insidious: Chapter 3

The Intern

Irrational Man

It Follows

James White

Jem and the Holograms

Joy

Jupiter Ascending

Jurassic World

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Knock Knock

Krampus

The Lady in the Van

The Last Five Years

Leviathan

The Little Prince

The Lobster

The Longest Ride

The Look of Silence

Louder Than Bombs

Love & Mercy

Love, Rosie

Macbeth

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Magic Mike XXL

Maps to the Stars

The Martian

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Meru

Minions

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Mississippi Grind

Mistress America

Monkey Kingdom

Mortdecai

Mr. Holmes

Mustang

Nasty Baby

Pan

Paper Towns

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2

The Peanuts Movie

The Perfect Guy

Pitch Perfect 2

Pixels

Point Break

Poltergeist

Results

The Revenant

Ricki and the Flash

Rock the Kasbah

Room

San Andreas

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The Second Mother

Self/Less

Shaun the Sheep Movie

Sicario

Sisters

Sleeping with Other People

Son of Saul

Southpaw

Spectre

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

Spotlight

Spy

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Steve Jobs

Stonewall

Straight Outta Compton

Suffragette

Taken 3

Tangerine

Ted 2

Terminator Genisys

Tomorrowland

Trainwreck

Trumbo

Unfinished Business

Unfriended

Vacation

The Visit

The Voices

The Walk

War Pigs

The Wedding Ringer

Welcome to Me

What Happened, Miss Simone?

Where to Invade Next

While We're Young

Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death

Woman in Gold

Youth

For the first round we can each advance 5-10 films. One film will go straight to round four, and the next will go to the next round. You cannot advance less than 5, nor can you advance more than 10. You don't have to advance all your films at one time, but when you're done please let me know so I know to move on. You have 48 hours to make your saves. Good luck! Anyone who wants to play can play!

@*Chris @Deeee @Steven_ @Elliott @1234567890 @goofycilla90 @*Diana @FrogLenzen @.Rei @totes4totes

• Alex95 changed the title to Films Per Year Mini-Rankdown (2015 - Round 1)