SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

UNITED STATES SEASON 3 RESULTS PART THREE

10. DANNY TIDWELL & NEIL HASKELL - "ARE YOU THE ONE?" (CONTEMPORARY BY MIA MICHAELS & BEN SUSAK)

HcLReRd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPWQAr1meE 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 17

Derek: 12

Alex: 9

Wally: 14

Diana: 24

Zoey: 23

Chris: 27

Amanda: 19

Megan: 7

JC: 13

Rei: 21

Andrew: 7

Elliott: 7

Dee: 11

FINAL SCORE = 15.07

COMMENTS

Mia actually behaved like a hero momentarily when she choreographed a routine where Danny dances circles around Neil. But all ambivalence for Neil aside, this routine is iconic and very gay. Danny's technique is insane here. Incredible song choice. I love when the two hot men choke each other.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, Alex95 said:

Admittedly not a Neil fan, but this is easily his peak (though he's outdanced by Danny obviously lmao)

On 11/28/2021 at 8:01 PM, totes4totes said:

It really shows both my OBJECTIVITY and respect for Danny that a Mia Michaels routine with Neil makes my Top 10. But this is genuinely great. I wish it were Pasha instead of Neil. 

On 11/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, JC said:

these two are so hot, adore these gay princes ❤️ 

On 11/29/2021 at 2:12 AM, .Rei said:

I’ve always this a bit overrated but I still like it a lot. Just not one of the top routines of the season.

TBH if this wasn't a season 3 ranking it would be higher. It would also be higher if it were danced by two better dancers.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, *Wallace said:

I always loved this dance from Danny & Neil. It's different from the usual Contemporary routines. I do love how hard hitting, powerful and aggressive this dance is, and their dancing is. They not only perform it in a strong way, but they bring strong powerful technical dancing here. LMAO I love how the part where Danny taunts and annoys Neil so much with his clapping. :dead: All of their dancing with the canes is a lot of fun, but I love it when they dance without them. It's like a battle fight scene they have with each other. It's very acrobatic. Actually, even though Danny & Neil's Contemporary styles are so different, I felt like Mia infused their styles perfectly together here. Both shone and are fantastic here!

9. LAUREN GOTTLIEB & NEIL HASKELL - "LET THE DRUMMER KICK" (CONTEMPORARY BY MIA MICHAELS)

GQFAt8Q.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3ZSjplTZ3c 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 28

Derek: 18

Alex: 26

Wally: 8

Diana: 4

Zoey: 5

Chris: 26

Amanda: 23

Megan: 23

JC: 11

Rei: 8

Andrew: 10

Elliott: 2

Dee: 14

FINAL SCORE = 14.71

COMMENTS

Mia Michaels is really good at choreographing very weird routines. Especially to a song that I adore so much. There is something strange and intricate about all of the movements, really opens the door for interpretation about what this routine means. Lauren is likely at her best in the competition in this very moment. I love all of the funky arm/hand movements. Very athletic jumps and lifts. Such a cool routine that I love despite disliking the two dancers involved.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, FrogLenzen said:

better than Allison/Ryan duet

I’ve always loved this a lot. One of Mia’s most interesting choreography. This is also Lauren’s best moment in the season.

so out of this world cool

This was such a cool, creative and unique Contemporary from Lauren & Neil. Well, sometimes you can just expect cool and creative routines from Mia, of course. I do really enjoy the concept, and how they danced this. It had this slick funky feel to it. They showed off lots of musicality and technique here. It was a very abstract and technical routine but they did really well on this. I do love how there are a mix of the subtle quieter moments and then they have these moments where they go full on and hit their moves with so much attack. Love those parts where they lift each other here and there. I also love all of their synchronized and intricate movements here too. I know a few parts were a little off in sync but it didn't bother me. This was a great routine for them to end their run as a couple.

I see the appeal, but I didn't get this at all.

8. SARA VON GILLERN & PASHA KOVALEV - "THE ROCKAFELLER SKANK" (WEST COAST SWING BY BENJI SCHWIMMER & HEIDI GROSKREUTZ)

leWiGIS.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFklnTQeWc 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 19

Derek: 7

Alex: 3

Wally: 11

Diana: 27

Zoey: 25

Chris: 13

Amanda: 3

Megan: 3

JC: 27

Rei: 13

Andrew: 12

Elliott: 8

Dee: 5

FINAL SCORE = 14.67

COMMENTS

The few low rankings are ludicrous. An iconic routine. One of the all-time greats. Pretty sure this routine is actual perfection. "The Rockafeller Skank" is some of the greatest choreography. Full out energy. Full out dancing. Sara and Pasha absolutely reach a zenith here. Deserved to make the top five. 

Dmitry and Travis have done good work but Benji was the first and this is a home run

This is perfect? Pasha had two great routines with Jessi and Sara had an all-timer with Jesús with "Cabaret Hoover" but imagine a Sara/Pasha pairing from the get go. Would have been incredible. At least they got this and "Body Language."

This is the only Sara & Pasha routine I acknowledge. Wow, they had quite the special partnership with one iconic dance, huh? 😮 Anywho, this was the first West Coast Swing choreographed by Benji, and it's definitely my favorite WCS routine and favorite routine Benji choreographed on the show. I think it was right that Pasha had this routine because I am not sure any other guy could have done this routine that well (well Danny could have). But Sara was also a great half to this dance too. This was my favorite dance of Sara's, and one of my top favorties from Pasha. Both danced this really well and they performed this greatly too. They both had lots of fun performing and selling this dancing. I loved all of their partnering work and had fast their footwork was here too. :bobo: I loved those leg slide tricks they do, as well as the partnered cartwheels moves. This was such an entertaining and infectious routine! :bobo:

This is easily the best swing on the show. It happens to be Sara’s best dance in the competition. Would be surprised if this doesn’t make the top 10. Great routine.

I have no idea what the ~popular~ opinions are of SYTYCD routines. Is this a forgotten masterpiece? Is it rightfully popular? All I know is I watch it on a constant basis.

ugh pasha again

7. TOP 10 GROUP - "THE MOMENT I SAID IT" (CONTEMPORARY BY MIA MICHAELS)

wq5WB34.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUY4xk9XW8Q 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 7

Derek: 1

Alex: 8

Wally: 23

Diana: 12

Zoey: 17

Chris: 8

Amanda: 12

Megan: 27

JC: 9

Rei: 12

Andrew: 6

Elliott: 16

Dee: 4

FINAL SCORE = 11.57

COMMENTS

Greatest group routine of all-time. Hands down.

this would have been somewhere in my Top 4 regardless, but now it's #1

When it comes to ranking these season 3 routines, if I don't remember a routine I don't rank it highly. I'm sure this is fine? I don't remember it. Maybe I'll watch it some other time.

Iconic group routine. Danny slayed this.

This is one of those many iconic Mia group routines, where she brings brilliant choreography and the dancers bring amazing dancing to this. But it's also one of those dances where I don't watch or have that much of a connection with hence the lower ranking. All of the dances were fantastic here. Danny kinda stood out as the shining star here, but was fantastic. 

Lol @ me ranking it this highly after railing against group routines, but Miss Mia Michaels knew what she was doing when she made Danny the star of the dance.

stunning

6. LACEY SCHWIMMER & DANNY TIDWELL - "KEEP HOLDING ON" (VIENNESE WALTZ BY JEAN-MARC GÉNÉREUX & FRANCE MOUSSEAU)

4d6drX7.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmXWhaSYpYU 

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 8

Derek: 10

Alex: 5

Wally: 9

Diana: 5

Zoey: 9

Chris: 6

Amanda: 7

Megan: 18

JC: 8

Rei: 18

Andrew: 19

Elliott: 25

Dee: 12

FINAL SCORE = 11.36

COMMENTS

There is something so tender and beautiful about this routine. Dancey really is the best partnership ever, even if they only danced two routines together. Ballroom bliss. Almost makes me tear up tbh.

Am I ranking every Lacey & Danny routine high? Duh.

this is a very beautiful routine but not as strong as A Daisy in December. I know this will probably rank higher though but it’s okay cause I love it too.

gorgeous, their coupling was hawt

This was the last routine I put in after I worked forward to back and back to front. So default ranking TBH.

I thought this was a gorgeous Viennese Waltz from Lacey & Danny. Wow that opening move where Danny lifted and twirled Lacey around was a wow moment. But I love how elegant and graceful they were dancing this routine. They were graceful separately and together. Their partnering work was great, they had lovely spins and lines. I liked all of the lifts they did, which had a nice gentle touch and flowed so well within the dance. Just beautiful! ❤️ 

Edited by Deeee

TOP FIVE

sytycd_top20.jpg

Lacey Schwimmer & Kameron Bink - "Dancing" (Contemporary by Mia Michaels) 

Jaimie Goodwin & Hok Konishi - "The Chairman's Waltz" (Jazz by Wade Robson) 

Lacey Schwimmer & Danny Tidwell - "Hip Hip Chin Chin" (Samba by Dmitry Chaplin)

Sabra Johnson & Neil Haskell - "Sweet Dreams" (Jazz by Mandy Moore) 

Lacey Schwimmer & Sabra Johnson - "Koyal" (Jazz by Wade Robson) 

Gigi:

Derek:

Alex:

Wally:

Diana:

Zoey:

Chris:

Amanda:

Megan:

JC:

Rei:

Andrew:

Elliott:

Dee:

10-6 comments:

- Great spot for the Danny/Neil Contemporary routine. Not in my personal Top 10, but still do love this routine from them! omgg Dee's last comment cracked me up. :lmao: Ooh wait, I forgot I put this at 14th, as I thought I had it at like 15/16th or something? No big deal though. :haha: Megan has her comments listed twice.... so I'm not sure which one is right and which one isn't?
- Aww I was hoping for "Let the Drummer Kick" to make it higher but not completely surprisd either. But I do love this dance and am glad it made the Top 10 at #9 regardless. Love seeing the compliments for Lauren here. ❤️
- Glad that the Sara/Pasha routine that matters did well here. 😘 #8 is a fantastic spot. This was a dance I would have loved putting in my Top 10 but just had no space for it. :( I am quite surprised with the few low rankings as I thought this was a universally loved dance. 
- Well done to the "Moment I Said It" group routine with this ranking here. Omg Alex's ranking shocked me and then reading his comments, I do get it. :haha:
- Lmao I was wondering when another Lacey routine would show up because she had 4 in this Top 5. :dead: This was one of the options I was hoping for though was hoping for another to show up first. Anywho, amazing stunning beautiful dance. ❤️ Wow lots of Top 10 rankings for this dance. Just 5 rankings out of the Top 10 (and shocked Deee is one of those?). Also shocked that Elliott was the lowest ranker for an Avril Lavigne routine, lol. :giggle:

Ugh my #17 is killing me. :dead: My record could have been so flawless. Funny because that was a dance I moved down a lot for other dances (even though I still love it). :haha: 

But woww.... my #1, 2, 3 and 5 all still in. SLAY IT! :wub: Hoping for any of my Top 5 to win although mostly hoping for either of my Top 3.

• Like 1