American Idol (S19) vs The Voice (S20)

Dai

Now that the auditions from both shows are pretty much over, I wanted to know people’s thoughts about both shows going head to head for the 4th time in a row (which one are you liking better, cast, variety, etc...)

PS: I’m aware this will be posted in TV subforum, so I expect some bias towards The Voice (that’s why I’m not posting a poll)

I don't know, I prefer A19's cast, or maybe AI's cast every year. Maybe because it is quite unpredictable on who will be the winner there and that it is pretty diverse (although this season's cast was pretty pop-heavy). That it won't be country mafia going at it again. And, there's a lot of young artists there who have the potential to be in the music industry, I guess.

But, in terms of format competition-wise, I still prefer The Voice. Also, the coaches are WAY more exciting to watch than the judges in the American Idol.

This should probably be moved to the Entertainment forum, but I’ll respond. For me, Idol cares more about the artists on the show than the Voice does. There are a few annoying judge gimmicks, but it’s clear that most of the production focus is contestant first. In terms of the talent level in these two seasons, it depends what you’re looking for. If you’re an older soul who’s looking for older, more experienced talent, you’ll prefer the Voice. I really like seeing raw talent on these types of shows so a lot of the talent on Idol this season appeals to me. I think I preferred the Voice auditions more this season, but that could just be because I can’t stand the annoying Idol editing (and the Voice tunes their auditions 😏), so I almost never rewatch those auditions again. I have favorites on both shows, so it’s a tough choice, but I think I’d go with the Voice. I prefer Avery to every country person on AI S19, plus the artists on the Voice seem to be more diverse in terms of genre. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

I think it’s telling that the ABC judges try to be more hands on and “coach” the singers, when the ethos of original AI was that the judges do not interact with the singers in any way except to critique them. 

Tonight’s HW round consists of duets and they changed the rules so that the judges are choosing the partners. What does that sound like?

I do feel like AI attracts more motivated, hungry artists. Voicers seem to have figured out that exposure is the only realistic goal.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Tonight’s HW round consists of duets and they changed the rules so that the judges are choosing the partners. What does that sound like?

Sounds like they’re trying to follow COVID-19 mandates and make it a twist.  

Edited by Bk1234

Something that Idol has going for it this season is Cassandra, who is basically my dream contestant in terms of tone and artistry. She literally sang one of my favorite songs from my favorite band (Killers) while reminding me of one of my favorite singers (Florence) in her blind, lol. I watched her audition (+Anilee’s) a hundred times, something I can’t say for any Voice contestant this season.

I’m enjoying The Voice more because their taped rounds’ format is simply superior to Idol, but in the future I might give the edge to Idol, which usually improves in the live rounds (AI17 excluded).

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Daillon said:

Something that Idol has going for it this season is Cassandra, who is basically my dream contestant in terms of tone and artistry. She literally sang one of my favorite songs from my favorite band (Killers) while reminding me of one of my favorite singers (Floremce) in her blind, lol. I watched her audition (+Anilee’s) a hundred times, something I can’t say for any Voice contestant this season.

I’m enjoying The Voice more because their taped rounds’ format is simply superior to Idol, but in the future I might give the edge to Idol, which usually improves in the live rounds (AI17 excluded).

Literally Cassandra and Casey are the only two that I'm into this season for Idol. Cassandra's is one of the best Idol auditions I've heard in a while.

That being said, I'm pretty much a Voice loyalist and am enjoying the current season, so that's where my pick is going.

• Like 1

I admire AI for sticking to its brand and doubling down on its premise even when they haven't been relevant since its move to ABC, but until they lift that ridiculous age limit and improve their casting, I will always favor The Voice.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

Idol has Cassandra/Grace/Casey. TV has Anna/Ryleigh/Gihanna

Going with Idol. TV keeps doing downhill as well. Plus QUEEN Cassandra is SLAYING. 

I agree, TV20 is so predictable and AI19 has a couple standouts for me. I’ve never been into AI, but TV needs to step up their game. 

12 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

This should probably be moved to the Entertainment forum

not really, there have been many threads made on this topic in the past, they have always been in the voice or idol forums :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The Voice easily takes this one for me (and I usually don’t say this.) Just look at the finales for example... I feel like the Idol one didn’t have anyone unique (since Casey was robbed the week before), while the Voice one had genres that we haven’t really seen in the finale (or at least haven’t seen in a while.) Also, the winners- Cam is more up my alley than Chayce is. 😅

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

The Voice easily takes it for me.

Casey, Jason, Cassandra, and Arthur(I know it's highly unpop) were robbed on Idol.

The Voice had robberies too (imo), but I think the finales are what decided it for me. 

Just now, Bk1234 said:

The Voice had robberies too (imo), but I think the finales are what decided it for me. 

None of my favorites were robbed so I don't mind it. I like Savanna, Anna, Gihanna, Corey, and Dana but I didn't stan them.

I actually think both shows stepped it up this year.

American Idol

+ I thought the cast was better vocally than TV, which is a first for me. Very few trainwrecks.

+ Casey, Grace and Willie were all fantastic singers with great runs, and Cassandra is a personal favorite, even if she was slightly inconsistent. Don’t care about the others, but can’t say that anyone from the Top 12 was bad.

+ Fresh song choices 

+ Better format than TV.

- Lack of variety, the comeback was really stupid and some questionable results (Top 10 and Top 4) 

The Voice

+ Stacked KOs and decent live shows (at least better than what I’m used to lol)

+ Cam was the standout here, but imo everyone in the Top 9 had at least “a moment”.

+ Slightly more varied than Idol.

+ Some cool underdog runs (this usually applies for Idol but this year was an exception)

- The show really needs to update its songbook, awful format and a weak finale (due to trashy results). Also, Savanna was brutally robbed.

Idol was probably the most consistent of the two, but I was more invested on The Voice.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daillon said:

American Idol

+ I thought the cast was better vocally than TV, which is a first for me. Very few trainwrecks.

+ Casey, Grace and Willie were all fantastic singers with great runs, and Cassandra is a personal favorite, even if she was slightly inconsistent. Don’t care about the others, but can’t say that anyone from the Top 12 was bad.

+ Fresh song choices 

+ Better format than TV.

- Lack of variety, the comeback was really stupid and some questionable results (Top 10 and Top 4) 

I agree on all of this. Idol got some really good vocalists this season. Also, the T24 results (aka female massacre)... 😬

Edited by Bk1234

31 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Lack of variety, the comeback was really stupid

oh yeah that and the fact that they brought back a generous artist who backed out minutes before the show's finale performanc  😂 still can't believe that one 

31 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I thought the cast was better vocally than TV, which is a first for me. Very few trainwrecks.

yeah they gave us more polished/talented singers this year. might be my favorite cast so far from the ABC era of Idol

Edited by sydneysam
  • Like 1