Contestants who had a "breakout moment" in the KOs, but didn't go far

QueenCami

I was thinking about this from my previous thread about the best KOs. Someone mentioned CammWess, and it made me think about how Megan had what I thought was a breakout performance in the KOs but then got out in the semifinals (requiring the coach save in the T17). She was then beat by Micah who received some pushback (mainly on youtube/idf probably) about even winning his knockout, and although his KO was good, it definitely didn't feel as much like a breakout moment.

who is someone else who you think had a breakout moment in the KOs but then didn't go far?

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Emily Luther

Mia Boostrom

Kelsea Johnson

Kyndal Inskeep

Alex Guthrie (unpop?)

Payge Turner

Worth The Wait

Madeline Consoer

Chloe Hogan

definitely agree with the bolded ones. i didn't watch s13 and don't remember mia or alex's KOs lmao. kelsea's KO was pitch perfect and was honestly a finale performance. i really like kyndal's tone in her knockout. payge also emoted so well in her KO, and WTW was amazing with their harmonies in their KO. madeline was shockingly good in emoting in her KO, and chloe popped off lmao

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Emily Luther

Mia Boostrom

Kelsea Johnson

Kyndal Inskeep

Alex Guthrie (unpop?)

Payge Turner

Worth The Wait

Madeline Consoer

Chloe Hogan

Mia Boostrom is a good example.  She was a little rough in PO's but her KO was really good and quite underrated on here.

Gracee Shriver comes to mind for me.  I think she clearly won her KO so I was shocked Kelly didn't chose her....even more shocked she wasn't voted through or saved the next week on Team Blake.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

Mia Boostrom is a good example.  She was a little rough in PO's but her KO was really good and quite underrated on here.

Something tells me she didn't pick that Chris Stapleton song for herself. 😬

11 minutes ago, Sid Dean said:

Ricky Manning

Ricky had a great growth arc. Mediocre blind, great battle and fantastic KO. I thought he might have had a chance at the semifinals al least, especially given how weak Team Gwen was. Sadly his PO wasn't up to par there. I would have saved him solely because of his KO. He was a much better choice than Ryan.

Edited by Misirlou

8 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

Abby Cates for sure, S15 people had her pegged(even I did) as the 2nd PV after Chevel for Kelly's team. Maybe even a potential finalist if she didn't get bussed as hard as she did. "Because Of You" was phenomenal.

YES 😭 HUGE FAN OF HERS AND THAT PERFORMANCE IS UH-MAZING

11 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

Abby Cates for sure, S15 people had her pegged(even I did) as the 2nd PV after Chevel for Kelly's team. Maybe even a potential finalist if she didn't get bussed as hard as she did. "Because Of You" was phenomenal.

Actually, I think the majority of IDF predicted Abby would be PV1. I was actually skeptical of her from the beginning, because there were no live performances to listen to among her hundreds of online covers. That playoff performance was brutal. 

11 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

i think she probably could have gone farther with a non-bus playoffs song. her knockout was incredible. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I don’t see how Abby was bussed? Uptempo =/= Bus

And I say this as someone who liked/loved Abby’s pre lives performances.

Agreed. She sang an upbeat pop song in her audition as well. "Next to Me" wouldn´t have been my first choice for her, but it definitely wasn´t a bus. Nerves got the best of her there. Shame because her KO was excellent.

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Actually, I think the majority of IDF predicted Abby would be PV1. I was actually skeptical of her from the beginning, because there were no live performances to listen to among her hundreds of online covers. That playoff performance was brutal. 

Yeah, IDF pretty much saw her as Kelly´s frontrunner going into the playoffs, with Chevel being second. What many didn´t expect was Sarah doing great that night and getting the second PV, as well as Abby flopping.

As for the lack of non live performances from contestants in their accounts, yeah, sometimes that can be a hint of how they may perform on the show, and I´ve noticed you have said that about Avery this season as well, which is fair, but we´ll see.

We´ve had some exceptions however. Rod Stokes´s acount pretty much had only covers from his kitchen, and yet he proved to be pretty good live. 

14 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Agreed. She sang an upbeat pop song in her audition as well. "Next to Me" wouldn´t have been my first choice for her, but it definitely wasn´t a bus. Nerves got the best of her there. Shame because her KO was excellent.

My theory is that people use the term bus when their favorites flop.

A real bus would be Jake sing Adele per example (who btw is a contestant I would add in this topic)

Edited by Daillon

11 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, IDF pretty much saw her as Kelly´s frontrunner going into the playoffs, with Chevel being second. What many didn´t expect was Sarah doing great that night and getting the second PV, as well as Abby flopping.

As for the lack of non live performances from contestants in their accounts, yeah, sometimes that can be a hint of how they may perform on the show, and I´ve noticed you have said that about Avery this season as well, which is fair, but we´ll see.

We´ve had some exceptions however. Rod Stokes´s acount pretty much had only covers from his kitchen, and yet he proved to be pretty good live. 

Having no live covers doesn’t mean they will be bad, it just means there’s no evidence they will be good. To

be fair, we didn’t have much for Chevel either. Many were hanging on the 20 second clip of Travelin’ Soldier on her Instagram, until we were able to find a few more. For Abby, there was literally nothing. Plus, her blind was short clipped and what was aired was meh. There were enough red flags there. Avery could be fine, but it’s just harder to say that without any evidence of live performance ability. 

8 minutes ago, Daillon said:

My theory is that people use the term bus when their favorites flop.

A real bus would be Jake sing Adele per example (who btw is a contestant I would add in this topic)

Yes, I was super annoyed by this that night in particular. Abby’s fans were insufferable. :giggle:

Edited by TeamAudra

4 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yes, I was super annoyed by this that night in particular. Abby’s fans were insufferable. :giggle:

Nowhere near as annoying as Kyndal’s on PO’s night. I didn’t post at all at that time but I remember wanting to say some not-so-nice things to a couple of posters :haha:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Is it just me that didn't think Abby's KO was a "propelled to frontrunner status" kind of moment? It was good, but was it really THAT good?

I didn't like her blind and I thought she lost her battle, but her KO was great, especially considering she sang it in front of the original artist, which is why I didn't expect her to fumble that hard on the Playoffs.

IDF went crazy for her in that moment, and ironically she had quite a few detractors here before due to defeating Delaney in the battle.