Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART FOUR

12. Cold Day in July (1999, prod. by Blake Chancey + Paul Worley, written by Richard Leigh)

Album: Fly

Cold_Day_in_July_cd_single.jpg

US Billboard Hot 100: #65 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #10 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Day_in_July

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 11

Elliott: 16

Derek: 14

Sola: 1

Tom: 6

Chris: 12

Kaley: 14

Victoria: 17

Public: 13

Final Average = 11.556

COMMENTS

On 10/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, ~Tom~ said:

One of their saddest breakup songs and also one of their best!

On 10/22/2020 at 9:02 PM, *Chris said:

A song that many may consider to be boring, "Cold Day In July" is one of their most underrated song - everything about the song is perfect from vocals to the melody to the lyrics.  And giving a shout-out to Solaris for bringing this song in the Top 21! 

11. March March (2020, prod. by Jack Antonoff + The Chicks, written by Jack Antonoff + The Chicks + Ross Golan + Ian Kirkpatrick + Daniel Dodd Wilson)

Album: Gaslighter

The_Chicks_%E2%80%93_Gaslighter_(Officia

US Billboard Hot 200 : #3 (Album)

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighter_(album)

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 15

Elliott: 9

Derek: 3

Sola: 14

Tom: 19

Chris: 17

Kaley: 1

Victoria: 19

Public: 7

Final Average = 11.556

COMMENTS

On 10/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, Elliott said:

Queens of embracing their status as a political band and not acting a fool over a name change! (Yes, that is shade at a certain other country band...) This song is kind of whatever on its own, but I think the music video really elevates it. They also worked with BLM organizations to make a proper music video so we stan our socially conscious woke legends!

While an excellent song, I find myself being a bigger fan of the message of the song & music video than the actual song. Unfortunately, those two is not enough for me to rank it any higher especially considering some of the songs in this Top 21 which I've been listening to for years. 

10. Ready to Run (1999, prod. by Blake Chancey + Paul Worley, written by Marcus Hummon + Martie Maguire)

TL7l.gif

US Billboard Hot 100 : #39 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #2 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_to_Run_(Dixie_Chicks_song)

RANKINGS

Gigi: 3

Elliott: 10

Derek: 12

Sola: 8

Tom: 14

Chris: 14

Kaley: 10

Victoria: 11

Public: 12

Final Average = 10.444

COMMENTS

This song will forever hold a special place in my heart as it's the first ever song of The Chicks I remember hearing as child, which hook me up as a fan.  On top of being a super catchy song, the music video for this song is incredibly iconic - along with "Goodbye Earl", it's probably one of their signature music video. 

Feminist anthem about not settling for men who aren't worth your time! Stan these queens!

Edited by Deeee

So I have a story about the Chicks.  Back in the town where I grew up my Mom was the program director for our only radio station.  She took me to the Country music festival 1 year and she told the Chicks Cold Day in July was my favorite song of theirs, and they sang it  in their set and dedicated it to me.  My mom had backstage passes for the festival from her job, so I got to go meet the ladies after their set.  Ah memories.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solaris said:

So I have a story about the Chicks.  Back in the town where I grew up my Mom was the program director for our only radio station.  She took me to the Country music festival 1 year and she told the Chicks Cold Day in July was my favorite song of theirs, and they sang it  in their set and dedicated it to me.  My mom had backstage passes for the festival from her job, so I got to go meet the ladies after their set.  Ah memories.  

I’m so jealous! 

I saw them live in 2013, front row, at a festival & remains one of my favourite show ever!

1 minute ago, *Chris said:

I’m so jealous! 

I saw them live in 2013, front row, at a festival & remains one of my favourite show ever!

They put on a great performance!  its been like 17 years or something since i have seen them.

1 minute ago, ~Tom~ said:

@*Chris and I both appreciating Cold Day in July. ❤️ Wish it could have made top 10!

me too :( 

• Like 1

FINAL STANDINGS PART FIVE

9. Sleep at Night (2020, prod. by Teddy Geiger + Jack Antonoff + The Chicks, written by The Chicks + Teddy Geiger + Justin Tranter)

Album: Gaslighter

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 200 : #3 (Album)

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighter_(album)

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 16

Elliott: 2

Derek: 5

Sola: 16

Tom: 11

Chris: 6

Kaley: 15

Victoria: 16

Public: 6

Final Average = 10.333

COMMENTS

F*cking iconic.Easily one of the strongest from the album. But then again the album is perfection. 

I can never decide what song from Gaslighter is my favourite because I stan the entire album, but I'm ranking this the highest solely for how f*cking iconic "My husband's girlfriend's husband just called me, how messed up is that?" is as a lyric. The way Natalie Maines casually drags her ex-husband just like that? Queen.

This song is truly a masterpiece, and one of the many standout track from their recent release.  With lyrics such as "My husband's girlfriend's husband just called me up / How messed up is that / It's so insane that I have to laugh / But then I think about our two boys trying to become men / There's nothing funny about that" & "Remember you brought her to our show at the Hollywood Bowl / She said I love you I'm such a fan / I joked that you can love me as long as you don't love my man / There's nothin' funny about that", the song is certainly one of the most raw in a long time which is probably why many of us fans love this song!

8. Wide Open Spaces (1998, prod. by Blake Chancey + Paul Worley, written by Susan Gibson)

Album: Wide Open Spaces

tumblr_p36a5mohkF1w9obaxo1_500.gif

US Billboard Hot 100 : #41 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #1 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Open_Spaces_(song)

RANKINGS:

Gigi: 1

Elliott: 14

Derek: 13

Sola: 7

Tom: 7

Chris: 15

Kaley: 13

Victoria: 3

Public: 20

Final Average = 10.333

COMMENTS

The song that introduced me to The Chicks. Holds a special place in my heart.

Gorgeous song about leaving home! Hope it gets a good spot.

Taken from their major label debut album from the same name, "Wide Open Spaces" is one of their most known song from the album.  Personally speaking, this song is not my favourite from the album but it's still a song that I enjoy & I find myself going back to here and there. 

7. Cowboy Take Me Away (1999, prod. by Blake Chancey + Paul Worley, written by Marcus Hummon + Martie Maguire)

90a4d4de4ba31f190aba9464f677c517.gif

US Billboard Hot 100 : #27 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Take_Me_Away

RANKINGS

Gigi: 4

Elliott: 13

Derek: 19

Sola: 12

Tom: 3

Chris: 5

Kaley: 8

Victoria: 2

Public: 19

Final Average = 9.444

COMMENTS

I'm not sure if this is essentially one of their best song, but it's certainly one of their signature song that showcased how great of vocalist Natalie Maines is - the harmonies between Natalie, Emily and Martie are certainly the highlight of the song.  This is also another song that I absolutely love the melody especially with the different strings featured in the song; it's probably one of my favourite song of theirs to hear live especially when the crowd join in to sign along. 

A proper country-pop ballad that turned them into superstars!

One of the Chicks' most beautiful songs. That banjo, Violin and guitar orchestration is amazing too.

Catching up!

21. My Best Friend’s Weddings (I ranked 11)— Not my favorite off of the newest album, but definitely one I would have liked to have seen rank higher (and I feel like this doesn’t bode well for my other faves off of Gaslighter). Anyways, I really enjoy this song, especially the part before the last chorus :heartbounce:

20. Without You (I ranked 18)— Another solid song, but not one of my all-time favorites. 

19. Daddy Lessons (I ranked 17)— Glad to see this make the top 21 this round, since I was pretty disappointed it didn’t in the Beyoncé round! I adore this song, and part of me wanted to rank it higher, but it didn’t feel right putting it above some of their classic songs. Amazing collab though :wub:

Gigi:

Elliott:

Derek:

Sola:

Tom:

Chris:

Kaley:

Victoria:

Public:

Aww I enjoyed “Cold Day in July,” so I would have liked that one being a little higher. 

And also really enjoyed “March March” too. That song had a sound I was not expecting from them but i enjoyed it. The music video I saw was so real and moving to it too. OMGG Elliott’s comments on the band name change. Assuming the other band is Lady A, but how were they acting a fool with their name change? :dead:

I see that i ranked “Sleep at Night” pretty high too (actually the 3 above were amongst my higher ranks of songs i didn’t know). But I did really enjoy this song here too.

I kinda remember “Wide Open Spaces” and “Cowboy Take Me Away” (like I vaguely remember the chorus of those) but neither were big faves of mine. But I know they are big hits and well loved amongst their actual fans so no complaints of them ranking so high. :haha:

Tom’s #21 still remaining? Is still so frightening. And wow Derek’s #21 still there too. I have no idea what his could be.

Yayy 4 of my faves of this To 6 made it to the Final 6, so good luck to those! 😮 

20 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Gigi:

Elliott:

Derek:

Sola:

Tom:

Chris:

Kaley:

Victoria:

Public:

Wow Check out Elliott kinda slaying it there. 😮 

Omgg Gigi has all of her Bottom 6 of her To 10 all remaining. 😮 Great she has all of her Top 10 entries in and is the only ranker to achieve that.

Chris, Sola, Kaley and Victoria with 5 of their Top 10 and a outside Top 10 entry in there. Curious what Chris’ #20 could be.

Gooo the Public with all of their Top 4 and #8 & #9 remaining. Gooo us! :giggle:

10 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

OMGG Elliott’s comments on the band name change. Assuming the other band is Lady A, but how were they acting a fool with their name change? :dead:

Oh honey. A lot.

Lady A was the name of a blues singer from Seattle who had been around since the 90s and performed under that name. When Lady Antebellum changed their name because of the racial implications, her having that name came to the forefront and she mentioned the band had never reached out to her.

They finally did and posted a photo, before stating an agreement had been reached. It hadn’t, and she said it’s because they refused to give her a settlement to use the name since she would essentially have her entire career hidden by the band’s new name.

So then the band filed a motion in court to have a judge rule that they’re the ones legally in charge of the name, since they have the trademark and patent for it (as a brand) registered.

The optics of it looked extremely bad on them owing to their initial reason for changing the name, so yeah. That’s the jist of it. :haha:

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Considering your 21 is still in, I’m using that gif on you 🙂

:giggle:  

Especially if it's the song we're thinking it is. :haha: 

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Oh honey. A lot.

Lady A was the name of a blues singer from Seattle who had been around since the 90s and performed under that name. When Lady Antebellum changed their name because of the racial implications, her having that name came to the forefront and she mentioned the band had never reached out to her.

They finally did and posted a photo, before stating an agreement had been reached. It hadn’t, and she said it’s because they refused to give her a settlement to use the name since she would essentially have her entire career hidden by the band’s new name.

So then the band filed a motion in court to have a judge rule that they’re the ones legally in charge of the name, since they have the trademark and patent for it (as a brand) registered.

The optics of it looked extremely bad on them owing to their initial reason for changing the name, so yeah. That’s the jist of it. :haha:

Ooh thank you for this whole story. I heard of another Lady A (the original one in this case) when this story broke (well a little bit of) but I didn't hear much about it or  know all of the details. Yikes, this is a lot and kinda a bad look on them there. :ph34rwave: