Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Shakira Final Standings: Part 2

After a tumultuous first set for Rei, let's see if he fares any better. Since I didn't post a set last night, this set is double the fun and will get us down to the Top 10! Listening links will come later after IDF STOPS ANTAGONIZING ME.

#20: Gypsy / Gitana

giphy.gif

Listen Here:

Average: 16.71

Rankings:

Tom: 3

Chris: 11

Andy: 12

Steven: 14

Wally: 14

Nico: 15

Lily: 16

Gigi: 17

JC: 18

Victoria: 20

Kay: 21

Derek: 24

Rei: 24

Dee: 25

The best part of this song is Shakira playing the harmonica!!!!

On 3/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, ~Tom~ said:

3. Gypsy / Gitana - I was so excited when Shakira was releasing new music in 2010 and when Gypsy came out I was obssessed. This girl that I was talking to said, "Ew, Shakira". I replied, "You're we." A very justifiable response, I say! 

On 3/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, *Wallace said:

Gypsy / Gitana

This was from the She Wolf era but for some reason I don’t remember this song at all. I do feel like I may have heard this when it was released but forgot about it over the ears? This is a really pretty and cute song. I do like how she sounds on this. I especially like the chorus here. She’s very beautiful and hot in the music video too. :wub:

On 3/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, .Rei said:

Gypsy

I like Gypsy a lot like all Shakira songs but it's one that is not one of my top favorites. Gypsy come from the album She Wolf which is arguably Shakira's most experimental album. Most of the songs fall into the ElectroPop genre but Gypsy is one of the few exceptions. Actually according to Wikipedia, the songs is classified as a Bhangra song. Shakira really put her signature into this song with a little bit of her harmonica skills that was often hear in her earlier works. I like this song a lot but I would have preferred some other songs from She Wolf in this top 25 instead of Gypsy, like Why Wait or Mon Amour. My favorite live performance from this song has to be the one from the Live in Paris concert where she did a mash-up between Gypsy, Nothing Else Matters and Despedida, which just made me remember how robbed Despedida was, the song that Shakira named the song of her dreams at the time she recorded it.

#19: Octavo Día

Octavo_D%C3%ADa.jpeg

Listen Here:

Average: 16.43

Rankings:

Rei: 7

Victoria: 8

Chris: 9

Gigi: 9

Dee: 15

Nico: 16

Andy: 17

Lily: 18

Wally: 18

Derek: 20

Kay: 22

Tom: 23

JC: 24

Steven: 24

On 1/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, .Rei said:

Octavo Dia

Shakira's has had some political and religious-theme songs like Timor and How do you do. But Octavo Dia is by far her best one and simply one of her best songs ever. Octavo Dia comes from her masterpiece Donde Estan Los Ladrones? that gods knows is full of only masterpieces and somehow this song is still a standout from that album.

Octavo Dia is a rock song that talks about how God created the world in seven days but at the eight day everything was already a mess. It talks about politics, human behavior and the loss of faith. I'm not a religious person but I'm a sucker for clever lyrics and social metaphors and this song masters that perfectly. 

This is one my favorite Shakira's songs ever and I'm glad it made its way to the top 25. I personally don't expect this to place high as much rankers have surely not listen to this but I will rank it high just the way it should be. 

Shakira hasn't performed this again since the Tour of the Mongoose which happens to be my favorite performance from this and the one I'm attaching here.

Octavo Día

Very intriguing and hypnotic sounding song here. Kinda reminds me of “Underneath Your Clothes” at parts the more I listen to this. 

#18: Ciega, Sordomuda

anigif_sub-buzz-12596-1465313833-2.gif

Listen Here:

Average: 15.79

Rankings:

Dee: 2

Nico: 3

Andy: 8

Rei: 13

Kay: 15

JC: 16

Derek: 18

Steven: 19

Tom: 19

Victoria: 19

Chris: 20

Lily: 20

Gigi: 24

Wally: 25

Good thing Dee isn't here to witness this!!!!! But bad for me that I had to witness this robbery!!!!!

On 12/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, .Rei said:

Ciega, Sordomuda

This is the first single from the masterpiece of album that is Donde Estan Los Ladrones? and one of the most famous songs from Shakira in Latin America. The big success that this album had was the reason why Shakira was encouraged to do the crossover into the English Market and Ciega, Sordomuda really helped paving the way for that. This song was huge back on the day and in nearly all of her concerts is one of the most popular songs with always the whole crowd singing along. This is such a feel good song and one that I'm super happy is in the top 25 cause not being in here would have been a crime. The songs is a mix of Mariachi and Latin Pop and was released along a really popular music video back in the day. The chorus of this song is so catchy and one that is just so much fun to sing along. My favorite live performance from this song is definitely the one done in the MTV Unplugged as she was accompanied by a mariachi band and the whole arrangement of the song was pretty great.

Ciega, Sordomuda

Fun sounding song. She sounds good but not a big favorite of mine.  The rockier part in the bridge took me by surprise.

#17: Don't Bother

tumblr_mv78es6m2X1spb8kco2_250.giftumblr_mv78c1ivdl1spb8kco1_250.gif&ehk=U

Listen Here:

Average: 15.36

Rankings:

Gigi: 4

Andy: 7

Wally: 9

JC: 12

Lily: 12

Victoria: 14

Rei: 15

Tom: 16

Kay: 17

Dee: 21

Derek: 21

Steven: 21

Nico: 22

Chris: 24

Don't Bother 

3HMk.giftumblr_nlcurnabQL1tiwumao6_250.gifv

“Don't Bother” is such a dark, haunting and feisty kind of song from Shakira. I can’t completely remember but I think this was one of those songs I wasn’t too huge on at first but it would eventually grown on me where I would love it, the more i listened to it. I love Shakira’s ~I don’t care, I’ll do what I want~ attitude that she sells so well here. 

My favorite part of the dog is the chorus where the song really starts rocking out and Shakira belts it out so much! 

Hey hey

So don't bother

I won't die of deception

I promise you won't ever see me cry

Don't feel sorry

And don't bother

I'll be fine

But she's waiting

The ring you gave to her will lose its shine

So don't bother, be unkind

I also love those parts of the song where Shakira repeatedly sings I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine. Then I also really love that high note she hits at 3:48 (from the video link). :omg: SO GOOD. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, .Rei said:

Don't Bother

Don't Bother is arguably Shakira's most badass song ever. The song is a mix of rock, pop and some electronic beats where she talks about a past lover and how her new girlfriend is all this perfect girl that Shakira Is not, but even with that, he still doesn't get half the things that Shakira gave him in their relationship. The song served as the lead single from Oral Fixation Vol. 2 and was modest success, which I didn't understand at all cause the song is really amazing, but I suppose the audience was expecting a different type of genre instead of a rock song, since Shakira has never been really famous in the US market for her rock songs. I loved the song when it came out and I still love this song very much. I think the song video is pretty amazing and one of my favorites from Shakira. This song was performed in the Oral Fixation Tour that supported the two Oral Fixation albums but since then Shakira has not performed it again in her tours, except for in some rare occasions. A pity cause she should perform it more often. My favorite live presentation from this song has to be the one from the said tour.

#16: Dare (La La La) / La La La / La La La (Brazil 2014) (feat. Carlinhos Brown)

rs_500x257-160127125332-tumblr_n75s4htrJ

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkYAxGt-aUs

Average: 15.21

Rankings:

Derek: 5

Wally: 6

Kay: 9

JC: 11

Chris: 14

Tom: 14

Gigi: 15

Dee: 16

Steven: 16

Lily: 17

Rei: 19

Nico: 23

Victoria: 23

Andy: 25

THIS IS JUST A WORSE VERSION OF "WAKA WAKA"

Dare (La La La) / La La La / La La La (Brazil 2014) (feat. Carlinhos Brown)

zOKbO1.gif

tumblr_n5z4gaDZzE1rjjot3o1_250.gif

Yayy I love “Dare (La La La)” as of course this was the song that i brought into the finals. I hope it can rank well in this countdown but since I brought it into the finals, it’s probably cursed and won’t rank that well. :/:dead: I actually didn’t know there were 3 versions of the song, as I didn’t know there was just a “La La La,” but I see that’s the Spanish version. 

But I do know and love “Dare (La La La)” and “La La La (Brazil 2014)” and think this song is a JAM! A HOT JAM. :bobo: I don’t know which version of this song i prefer. I know the “Brazil2014” version was for the 2014 World Cup anthem, and there were lyric changes to reflect that, which is cool. But THAT BEAT is sooo sick and hot here. And i love how Shakira sings on this, specifically on the faster parts of the song, such as the verses and the chorus. :bobo: Although she sounds pretty on the softer part of the song. 

La la la la la

La la la la la

La la la la la la

Truth or dare on the dancefloor

La la la

La la la la la

La la la la la

La la la la la la

I dare you

Leggo, leggo

SOO MUCH FUN! :bobo: And oooo omg the part where she sings: When your eyes got me drunk I was sober is soooo feisty (with her delivery)! Loving Shakira’s dancing in both versions of the videos. ❤️   

On 12/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, .Rei said:

La La La 

I think my feelings on La La La are pretty much the same as Waka Waka, as both were sensational singles used as Fifa World Cup songs, but just in different times. Waka Waka was for 2010 while La La La was featured in the 2014 Fifa World Cup. Something I always found so funny, is that La La La was not the official 2010 World Fifa Song but was just feature in the soundtrack, the actual song was We're the One by Pitbull, J.Lo and Claudia Leitte. But I think that song wasn't as successful as they asked Shakira to perform La La La in the final game, which I think started the whole rivalry between the fans of Shakira and J.Lo and was further developed during the Super Bowl performance for whatever reason. 

La La La or Dare has two versions and two music videos, one released as a normal single and the one used for the Fifa Cup. Both are great versions that I love and that I'm also glad made this top 25, even if they're not in my top 25 Shakira songs. My favorite live performance of this song is the one done in El Dorado tour along with Waka Waka.

#15: Estoy Aquí

Shakiraestoyaqui.jpg

Listen Here:

Average: 15.14

Rankings:

Nico: 2

Victoria: 3

Rei: 12

Dee: 13

Lily: 13

Steven: 13
Derek: 17

JC: 17

Kay: 18

Tom: 18

Andy: 21

Chris: 21

Gigi: 21

Wally: 23

On 12/27/2020 at 7:44 AM, .Rei said:

Estoy Aqui

Just like Whenever, Wherever made Shakira's success possible in the English market, Estoy Aqui did the same early but for her latin audience. This was the song that made it possible for Shakira to be recognize in the entire hispanic audience. Estoy Aqui is one of Shakira's best and most important tracks and the one that started it all. It was the lead single for her Pies Descalzos album, one that was such a success and it is lauded as one of the best latin songs of the 90's. It is a mix of latin pop/rock where Shakira talks about a relationship that she wants to amend. To this date, it is one of her most recognizable songs for her hispanic audience and one that she often performs in her tours. Shakira has used the song to open two of her tours which is such an amazing choice, as it is a nostalgic throwback to her beginnings and one that pretty much just set the mood for a perfect  night. Both of those performances are my favorites from her, so I just decided to list both 🙂

Estoy Aquí

Aww young Shakira!  ❤️ Very cute and pretty song. 

#14: Si Te Vas

DondeEstanlosLadrones.jpg

Listen Here:

Average: 15.07

Rankings:

Chris: 6

Nico: 9

Dee: 10

Rei: 11

Kay: 12

Victoria: 13

Lily: 15

Tom: 17

Wally: 17

Andy: 18

Steven: 18

Derek: 19

Gigi: 23

JC: 23

On 12/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, .Rei said:

Si Te Vas

This song is one of Shakira's most badass song and one with the most clever lyrics as well. The lyrics are seriously insane and full of the metaphors that made Shakira so relatable in her early years. The songs is a mix of pop/rock where Shakira talks about what would happen, if her lover decides to leave her. Just with the two first sentences of the songs: "Cuentame que haras despues que estrenes su cuerpo. Cuando muera tu traviesa curiosidad" that translates to "Tell me what you'll do after you try her body for the first time, and when your mischievous curiosity dies", the audience know that Shakira is about to destroy this guy to shreds and put him to shame after he leaves her. Ugh I love this song so much and it is one of the 11 reasons why Donde Estan Los Ladrones? is still that b*tch to this day. Si te vas had made several live appearances throughout Shakira's year and is definitely a fan favorite as the audience usually goes crazy with it. To this day, her performance on the MTV Unplugged is still my favorite from it.

Si Te Vas

This song starts off pretty but then gets more feisty as it progresses. It’s intriguing and I do like the rockier sound of the chorus the best from this song. Kinda reminds me of an Alanis Morissette sounding song.

#13: Loca (feat. El Cata) / Loca (feat. Dizzee Rascal)

source.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewfYKJy8YU

Average: 14.21

Rankings:

Steven: 4

Andy: 6

Gigi: 6

JC: 8

Derek: 12

Wally: 13

Lily: 14

Kay: 16

Victoria: 16

Nico: 18

Chris: 19

Dee: 20

Tom: 22

Rei: 25

Loca (feat. El Cata) / Loca (feat. Dizzee Rascal) 

tumblr_mh96s9mR6u1s376ueo1_500.gif

This is such a fun hot jam from Shakira. :bobo: Love the beat, music and how she sounds on this song. Of course she looks hot and brings such hot dancing in the video too. So good and so fun! :bobo: Wish I could rank it higher than #13 but I am more familiar with the songs in my Top 12.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:21 AM, .Rei said:

Loca 

Like all of Shakira's songs I like Loca a lot but to be honest is not one that I would have in this top 25. Sale El Sol was a great album from Shakira that saw her trying a lot of new genres while also going back to her roots. There were three merengues songs in this album, a genre that Shakira had never tried before, and while Loca is strong I do believe Rabiosa and Addicted to you are just the stronger songs. Having said that I like Loca a lot and I especially enjoy to watch her live performances of this song, as it is Shakira as it sexiest, and especially the one she did for the Live From Paris concert.

Favorite Live Performance

#12: Inevitable / Inevitable (English Version)

clip1.gif&ehk=T0wnvqZwvp1Fg3OLNaeY2UEDyZ

Listen Here:

Average: 14.07

Rankings:

Nico: 4

Rei: 4

Victoria: 4

Kay: 6

Dee: 11

Tom: 11

Steven: 12

Derek: 15

Andy: 19

JC: 21

Lily: 21

Gigi: 22

Wally: 22

Chris: 25

Fun fact, this song has the highest standard deviation compared to every other song on this list.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:05 PM, .Rei said:

Inevitable

One of Shakira's most iconic songs from her Rock era and just one of her finest. This song is a masterpiece and standout from the masterpiece Donde estan los Ladrones? The song is vintage Shakira and it is one of her most recognizable songs from her latin audience.

Inevitable is a rock song where Shakira talks about how she feels about the man she loves and how it is Inevitable for her to keep loving this person. It is one of my favorite songs from her and one I hope ranks very high cause I truly believe it is in her top 5 songs. Hopefully the rankers show taste and give it the respect it deserves. 

Shakira still performs Inevitable frequently and it was even in her set list for her latest tour, El Dorado. Unbeknown to most people the song was featured in the Super Bowl during the guitars parts from Empire. I love every performance from Inevitable but my favorite is the one from The Tour of the Mongoose.

Inevitable / Inevitable (English Version)

Pretty and cool sounding song. It didn’t do much for me on the slower verses but it grew on me once it got to the more uptempo pre-chorus and chorus. She sounds pretty here too.

#11: Can't Remember to Forget You (feat. Rihanna) / Nunca Me Acuerdo de Olvidarte

tumblr_nm2d3loTr01syu37ho2_500.gif

Listen Here:

Average: 13.93

Rankings:

JC: 2

Wally: 5

Lily: 7

Nico: 8

Gigi: 11

Derek: 13

Kay: 14

Andy: 15

Steven: 15

Chris: 18

Dee: 19

Victoria: 21

Rei: 23

Tom: 24

Inquiring minds (mine) wanna know how this got here but "Beautiful Liar" did not!!!!!!

Can't Remember to Forget You (feat. Rihanna) / Nunca Me Acuerdo de Olvidarte

5qZN.gif

2ZuHycb.gif

Oooh a Shakira & Rihanna collaboration? How can you NOT love that? I have nooo idea. I do really love this song, and love the video even more. This is such an insanely hot song and  an even sexier video! :wub:  I love what they both bring to this song. ❤️ I was stuck on my #6 and #5 as I love hose songs about equally but ended up giving “Can't Remember to Forget You” the advantage. I love how hypnotic this song is with the sound of it on the verses, and then I love how the chorus is so fun, dramatic and powerful. 

Whoooaa oooh oohhh 

I can't remember to forget you

Whoooaa oooh oohhh 

I keep forgetting I should let you go

But when you look at me

The only memory

Is us kissing in the moonlight

Whoooaa oooh oohhh 

I can't remember to forget you

:bobo:

I especially love those “whoa ooo oooo” parts.  Shakira’s one woman band act at the end of the video is fun too. 

On 12/18/2020 at 6:31 AM, .Rei said:

Can't Remember to Forget You

The video to this song is arguably one of Shakira's sexiest videos and no one could never tell me that Shakira and Rihanna didn't have a love affair after this. The song is actually pretty good too with some elements of ska, reggae and rock. Unfortunately, the world was not blessed with a live performance of this song with Shakira and Rihanna together, just the same way as with Beautiful Liar. While I do love the song a lot, is not one of my top favorites and from the Shakira album I love Empire, Chasing Shadows, La la la, Cut me deep and Loca por ti a lot more. I do wish Shakira and Rihanna do another colaboration and make another great song, cause I don't think this one got the recognition it deserved. There were some rumors recently that the two might collaborate again soon, since there was some Twitter exchange recently between the two, so let's hope it is more than just rumors.  My favorite live performance from this song would be the one done in El Dorado Tour which was pretty great, focusing more in the reggae and ska beats and at the end showing all of her drum skills. Somehow people still get surprised to this day, that she is proficient in several instruments. If only they knew.

Edited by totes4totes

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

Petition to go back to a Top 20 after Shakira.

LOL I will do that. I don't think any of the remaining artists have as extensive as discography now.

At least not until I replace my choice with ABBA and we have to do a top 50.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

LOL I will do that. I don't think any of the remaining artists have as extensive as discography now.

At least not until I replace my choice with ABBA and we have to do a top 50.

Taylor Swift would like to be excluded from that narrative! 

Yayy more Shakira list posted! ❤️ 

Kinda impressive how “Gyspy” was able to make the Top 20 with just one Top 10 ranking. 😮 I do wish that one ranked d a little higher but am okay with its ranking.

I do wish “Don’t Bother” and “Dare (La La La)” ranked higher as I do really like/love those songs. :(

Oooh yayy “Loca” came in at #13 exactly where I ranked it. 😄 I probably would have ranked it higher than a few others above it but fine with this placement.

Interesting fact of “Inevitable” having the highest standard deviation of all the songs on this list. 😮

LOL Yesss, tell it Megan @ “Beautiful Liar.” Ugh that song just missed out making the Top 25 which was such a bummer. :broken: But i do love “Can’t Remember to Forget You.” Sad to see it miss out making the Top 10…. but I can live with the #11 ranking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Chris said:

Taylor Swift would like to be excluded from that narrative! 

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

Especially if it starts after the Fearless rerelease. 🥴

:dead: 

Taylor making her round even harder to narrow down to a top “Whatever Megan Decides” with all the new music she’s been giving us. :dead: 

ANDY

23. Que Me Quedes Tú

24. La Bicicleta

25. Dare (La La La)

CHRIS

3. No

23. Que Me Quedes Tú

24. Don't Bother

25. Inevitable

DEE

2. Ciega, Sordomuda

23. Je L'Aime à Mourir

24. La Bicicleta

25. Gypsy

DEREK

23. Antologia

24. Gypsy

25. Je L'Aime à Mourir

GIGI

23. Si Te Vas

24. Ciega, Sordomuda

25. Antologia

JC

2. Can't Remember to Forget You

23. Si Te Vas

25. No

KALEY

23. Je L'Aime à Mourir

24. Antologia

25. La Bicicleta

LILY

23. No

24. Antologia

25. Je L'Aime à Mourir

NICO

2. Estoy Aqui

3. Ciega, Sordomuda

23. Dare (La La La)

25. Je L'Aime à Mourir

REI

2. Antologia

3. Que Me Quedes Tú

23. Can't Remember to Forget You

24. Gypsy

25. Loca

STEVEN

3. La Bicicleta

24. Que Me Quedes Tú

25. Antologia

TOM

3. Gypsy

24. Can't Remember to Forget You

VICTORIA

3. Estoy Aqui

23. Dare (La La La)

24. La Bicicleta

25. No

WALLACE

23. Estoy Aqui

24. Que Me Quedes Tú

25. Ciego, Sordomuda

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Not surprising I totally expect him to use it on the most popular song. :giggle:

Most popular + the one Dee says should win at the start of every round. :giggle: Now that we have a new host, I’ll try and break this habit. :haha: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1