DWTS Season 29 Discussion Thread

*Lily

What are they thinking?! :dead:

I do love Tyra but I can’t see this being received well at all...wasn’t she kinda bad/poorly-received on AGT (I didn’t really watch but thought that’s what I heard)?

This will be an interesting season I guess. :haha:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I do love Tyra but I can’t see this being received well at all...wasn’t she kinda bad/poorly-received on AGT (I didn’t really watch but thought that’s what I heard)?

yes she was really awkward and stiff most of the time.  She had good taste in the acts she gave her golden buzzer to tho lol.  

• Like 1

Well, I guess Tom and Erin were just too white. Tom has always been the best part about this show and now he is tossed aside for diversity. WTF. After being a loyal viewer of this show since season one, never missing an episode, I'm out. ABC has sucked the life out of DWTS by going in this "new direction". Sorry folks, you have lost your way.

It seems like a very clear push for more diversity behind the scenes and in front of the camera, which of course is amazing, but idk if Tyra for Tom was the way to go lol. More pros of color (promote Britt!!!!!), better and more diverse judges, more diverse celebrities that aren't your token pop star and football player, and more diverse producers. Firing Tom Bergeron for Tyra Banks isn't ending racism :haha:. Also I'm not sure if progressives would choose Tyra Banks as the voice of the show since this past year a bunch of her old ANTM clips have been floating around twitter as everyone is blown away by how problematic the show is/was.

• Like 2

I mean, since they were aiming for more diversity with a host change, there are several past contestants who fit the bill better than Tyra.

I thought for sure they’d choose someone from the Alfonso/Rashad/Jordan Golden Boy trio as a host. :haha: 

But yeah, bringing in Tyra isn’t going to fix the long-standing problem this show has with diversity if there isn’t a serious shake-up to other aspects of the show as well.

Also when GMA today called Tyra the first black female host the show has had...the Lisa Canning erasure! 💔 I feel like @Alex95 and I’s stanning her was for nothing!

In all seriousness I’m down for Tyra honestly. Sucks that we’re losing Tom and I think we’re going to see it has an effect on the season. But I’m intrigued to see what she does in the role and I hope we get to see a much more diverse season! And yes #PromoteBritt!

Also kinda rooting for Tom to maybe get the Masked Singer gig, if Nick Cannon gets fired from that too.

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 2

Alongside #PromoteBritt, I’m gonna start the campaign for them to stop giving Cheryl such bad partners! I feel like JP was the first good one she’d had in years, and then they turned around and give her an actual murderer. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Also kinda rooting for Tom to maybe get the Masked Singer gig, if Nick Cannon gets fired from that too.

Considering everything happening to Mariah Carey’s ex-husband today, TMS might be following suit with the other channels.

I thought for sure Alfonso was going to be the new host. I honestly would rather have him than Tyra. I love Tyra but she isn't the right demo for the show. The soccer moms are not going to like her and I wouldn't be surprised if she quit after a season or two. :haha:

Edited by 1234567890
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Elliott said:

Considering everything happening to Mariah Carey’s ex-husband today, TMS might be following suit with the other channels.

19 hours ago, pepperman said:

ohhh I LOVE this idea!  someone send this idea to Fox! 

It seems they're keeping him on :wacko: So I guess not :( I'm sure Tom will have some more opportunities elsewhere though!

I know Lisa was only there for the one season (and a short one at that) but she's honestly probably my second fave of Tom's co-hosts behind Erin! I never really connected with Samantha or Brooke, although they both did nice jobs. Like @DWTSFan2001 mentioned, Lisa was kinda fun and lolzy and didn't always have a filter when it came to how she spoke to the couples which I particularly enjoyed. :haha:

I can't seem to find anything on her now (including her iconic hosting reel which I guess we lost with old IDF) so I guess she didn't do much after DWTS. :( Hope she's doing well!

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

This better have been a financial decision, though I can't imagine Tyra being cheaper than Tom. This show has had so many issues that could be fixed but instead of focusing on those, they're messing with arguably the best and most consistent part of the show. Same thing happened with SYTYCD. They kept changing up the things that worked and ignoring the things that didn't. I hope the show can survive beyond this season because it's been a huge part of my life for the past 15 years but if it doesn't, the producers have only themselves to blame.

• Like 1