s12 - Angie Miller

s13 -  Jessica Meuse

s14 -  Clark Beckham

s15 -  La'Porsha Renae

s16 -  Maddie Poppe

s17 - Laci Kaye Booth

Interesting guesses. We'll see how everything turns out...😁

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

I’m pretty sure @Crisis confirmed that Erika Van Pelt would be the last one standing for S11, as she was their favorite. 

are you sure about that john cena GIF 🤭 (I just love using this gif 😅)

I said Erika was my S11 favorite up until her elimination. I didn't say she was my overall S11 favorite; a contestant or two very well could've overtook her. Time will reveal everything. 😆 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Crisis said:

said Erika was my S11 favorite up until her elimination. I didn't say she was my overall S11 favorite; a contestant or two very well could've overtook her. Time will reveal everything. 😆 

Oh right, I missed that detail! 😅 If it isn’t Erika, I’d say Elise as well, but S11 has such a great group, so it really could be anyone... 🤔

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crisis said:

I usually speed everything up on the weekends mainly due to not being able to do much during the pandemic, so it can be easy for some to fall behind if they're not actively following this thread. :haha:

063. I don't know if I've posted that person yet; we'll find out sooner or later. ;) As for Janelle, I'm pretty much in the same boat.

058. Yes her ignoring the guest mentors' advice was hilarious. :dead: I would've loved to see the video montage of her doing it. Fair enough about her on the show; at least you enjoyed one of her performances.

056. As for posting his and Joshua's duet in between them, to quote a Hall and Oates title, "Missed Opportunity"! 🤦‍♂️:haha:

For this set, you got them all right. Unfortunately, someone got them all first...

Understandable. I am online much less during the weekends though, so I tend to miss a lot. :haha:  

You have not yet. :shiftywave:  

- I agree! :lmao: Unfortunately, I think my video has been lost into the abyss. :broken: I'm sure it was on one of my older laptops or hard drives that crashed. :( 

- :giggle: 

Yay! Ooh I know, but I like to still play along and guess the clues, so I thought I'd post my thoughts anyway. :haha:  

060. Carly Smithson - I loved a few of hers like Come Together, Here You Come Again, Blackbird, and Crazy On You, but overall I connected to others more her season Maybe I was sipping Simon's Kool-Aid. :haha:  I did love her post-Idol music; I wish she'd had a chance to do more rock on the show. 

059. Adam Lambert - Obviously very talented and I liked him on his season as well, but his performances tended to go 1 or 100 with no in-between. Still wanted a final 2 of him and Allison after their duet of Slow Ride. 

058. LaKisha Jones - Loved her at the start of the season, but she was lacking in the song choice department, although I liked JTTW. :ph34rwave: Her Bon Jovi performance was also incredible. 

057. Joshua Ledet - Joshua overdid at times but he had some great moments like No More Drama and It's a Man's World. I Wish was also great and gets overlooked in the grand scheme of things due to all the standing O's. Definitely deserved his top 3 placement.

056. Phillip Phillips - Never wanted him to win but he did have a few good ones like Volcano, Give a Little More and Disease. I'd have sent him home after his two poor performances at top 5, but his win didn't really bother me. 

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Understandable. I am online much less during the weekends though, so I tend to miss a lot. :haha:  

You have not yet. :shiftywave:  

- I agree! :lmao: Unfortunately, I think my video has been lost into the abyss. :broken: I'm sure it was on one of my older laptops or hard drives that crashed. :( 

- :giggle: 

Yay! Ooh I know, but I like to still play along and guess the clues, so I thought I'd post my thoughts anyway. :haha:  

Understandable. I find a good number of people tend to be online less during the weekends. It's good to get away once in a while. 👍

OK, I guess we'll find out who it is when that person is posted. It could or could not be in the upcoming set... :shiftywave:

- That's unfortunate about the video being lost. :(

Good to see you (and others) enjoying this. I always like to see guesses and thoughts regarding them. ^_^

1 hour ago, ~Tom~ said:

060. Carly Smithson - I loved a few of hers like Come Together, Here You Come Again, Blackbird, and Crazy On You, but overall I connected to others more her season Maybe I was sipping Simon's Kool-Aid. :haha:  I did love her post-Idol music; I wish she'd had a chance to do more rock on the show. 

059. Adam Lambert - Obviously very talented and I liked him on his season as well, but his performances tended to go 1 or 100 with no in-between. Still wanted a final 2 of him and Allison after their duet of Slow Ride. 

058. LaKisha Jones - Loved her at the start of the season, but she was lacking in the song choice department, although I liked JTTW. :ph34rwave: Her Bon Jovi performance was also incredible. 

057. Joshua Ledet - Joshua overdid at times but he had some great moments like No More Drama and It's a Man's World. I Wish was also great and gets overlooked in the grand scheme of things due to all the standing O's. Definitely deserved his top 3 placement.

056. Phillip Phillips - Never wanted him to win but he did have a few good ones like Volcano, Give a Little More and Disease. I'd have sent him home after his two poor performances at top 5, but his win didn't really bother me. 

060. Fair enough. I would've liked to see her do more rock as well because I believe that's where she shined the most.

059. Can't say I really disagree with what's written here. The Slow Ride duet with Allison was certainly a highlight.

058. Don't really disagree here. I guess we all have our performances we like that may not be popular with others. :haha:

057.Pretty much agree with nearly everything here.

056. Again, pretty much agree with almost everything, except I didn't care too much for Give A Little More🤷‍♂️

I just finished the write-ups for the next set and barring anything new, they should be my next post. 👍

It's time to reveal the first set of the Top 50! Things only get tougher from here because I like everyone remaining a lot in one way or another. The clues for 50-46:

- I love the way you lie in the flame
- A hot explosion
- That may have been the wrong breed
- Came from a pair of Golden Gloves
- Nothing for this finalist to be afraid of

50. Skylar Laine: Season 11 (5th Place)

2012-07-about7.2.0.jpg

Kicking off the new set and the Top 50 is the country girl from S11. Personally, I feel Skylar is one of the more underrated Idol contestants. Whenever I see discussions about S11, Skylar’s name is hardly mentioned, which is too bad because she was a strong contestant in her own right. I guess in a season as stacked and heralded as S11, some names are bound to be overlooked. Anyway, Skylar was a firecracker of a contestant who certainly knew how to work the stage. I remember her airing her audition but not much of it if that makes any sense. When the Top 24 25 rolled around, I saw Skylar as a part of the group, but I hardly paid her any mind because my focus was on other contestants at the time. That changed with her performance of Stay With Me in the semifinals. Before then, I thought Baylie Brown would be the token country singer; however, Baylie had one of the worst tank jobs on Idol whereas Skylar was strong and confident. She advanced to the finals where she had a steady run with the exception of a few hiccups. She followed the up-tempo SWM with the ballad Where Do Broken Hearts Go, which I felt was one of her strongest performances of the season. Love Sneakin’ Up On You was another fun number I enjoyed. The following week, however, I didn’t care that much for Shameless; I thought it was her weakest performance up to that point. She came back the next week with Gunpowder And Lead which was another fun up-tempo number though I thought she messed up a bit on the final chorus. Wind Beneath My Wings was fine all things considered though that’s a song I could go ten lifetimes without ever having to hear again. The subsequent week she sang Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You, which I believe is the first time a Kellie Pickler song has been sung on Idol. It was nice to see a song from an Idol contestant who wasn’t from the usual group of Kelly, Carrie, Fantasia, etc. The following week I liked Born This Way; however, I wasn’t too fond of I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Although I appreciated Skylar doing the Gladys Knight version, I thought the performance was shouty and the country-like arrangement itself was hard on the ears. I thought both of her numbers during Top 6 were fine, but her Top 5 showing may have been her weakest efforts. I didn’t care for either of her songs; having said that, she wasn’t the worst of the night (I think we all know who I thought was the worst). She would be eliminated the following night. It was thought Skylar would have a chance to do something post-Idol; however, it doesn’t appear much has happened. Regardless, I enjoyed Skylar a lot during the season.

49. Nikko Smith: Season 4 (9th Place)

nikkosmith_image1-e1347975789347.jpg

Nikko was someone who I enjoyed a lot during S4. He had this contemporary R&B vibe from a male that Idol wouldn’t see until at least Anoop in S8 (though as I mentioned earlier, I think Rayvon was the closest thing to a true male contemporary R&B singer since Nikko). As for his Idol run, I enjoyed all three of his semifinal performances (Part-Time Lover, Let’s Get It On, and Georgia On My Mind). If I had to pick my favorite of the bunch, it would be LGIO. Unfortunately, the voting public didn’t feel the same way because Nikko was eliminated in the last round of the semis. I remember being disappointed he was eliminated while Scott and Constantine advanced to the finals. However, all was not lost for Nikko because Mario Vasquez, who was voted into the finals, decided to drop out for some reason. Because of this, due to Nikko having more votes than Travis Tucker (who I liked but had some questionable song choices and performances, to say the least) he was invited back to participate in the finals. He had an OK run in the finals all things considered; however, I don’t think it was quite up to the level of his semifinals showing. His first performance I Want You Back wasn’t one I was too fond of; however, I’ll give him a bit of a pass here because of him coming back so late and therefore, he probably didn’t have much time to rehearse. However, I really enjoyed his next two performances of Incomplete and Can We Talk. The following week he gave what I felt was his weakest effort of the season with One Hand, One Heart which was a bit on the boring side, not to mention having a few pitch problems. Even with all of this said, it still wasn’t the worst of the night (hello Anthony and Scott). Unfortunately, it would be his last as he was eliminated the following night. It was disappointing to see him leave at the time; however, I’m grateful he managed to make it as far as he did, considering where he was originally eliminated and receiving a second chance and all. So yeah, I liked Nikko a lot and appreciate what he brought to the show.

48. Naima Adedapo: Season 10 (10th/11th Place)

Naima_Adedapo.jpg

Naima was a contestant who, while not the best singer from a technical standpoint, I thought was a lot of fun. She was certainly the most innovative contestant of the season when it came to her performances; you’d never know what she’d do next. In fact, I’d like to think of her as a precursor to contestants such as Qaasim and Uché. As with those two, I thought she would’ve been a better fit on the X Factor than Idol, but I’m certainly not complaining about her time on Idol. Speaking of which, it began with her singing Summertime in the semifinals, in which while she was no Fantasia, she did a fine job. Unfortunately, it wasn’t fine enough for the voting public because she wasn’t voted into the finals. All was not lost for Naima, however, as she was invited to participate in the WC Round, in which she sang For All We Know. It was enough for her to attain one of the three coveted WC spots and thus, Naima was on her way to the finals. Based on her semifinals and WC performances, I would’ve thought Naima would go for a more adult-contemporary, jazzy type of performance for Top 13 because I felt that she would pick an artist from those genres as her influence. Boy, was I wrong! :haha: She picked Rihanna as her personal idol and performed Umbrella, and I mean that literally because that was a performance. The singing wasn’t all great; there were quite a few pitch problems. However, the energy and confidence made it captivating to watch. The highlight was her shouting BOOM FIYAH in the middle of it. :lmao: She followed that with What’s Love Got To Do With It, which unfortunately was not good. It was very poor vocally, and the more upbeat arrangement didn’t work. She rebounded the following week with Dancing In The Street, which was probably her best showing in the finals. The dance breakdown in the end was certainly a highlight. Unfortunately, tried to do a reggae version of I’m Still Standing which turned out to be a mess. I mentioned this way back in the beginning of the thread but doing reggae versions of songs never seem to work on Idol; Naima’s take on the Elton John classic was no different. It would be her last performance as she would be eliminated along with Thia in a double elimination the following night. To be honest, I would’ve liked to see her stick with the kind of the jazz route she was on in the semis; however, I won’t say I didn’t enjoy what she eventually did on Idol. Overall, Naima was someone who I felt was definitely worth watching.

47. Didi Benami: Season 9 (10th Place)

MV5BZjQwYzkwZjgtYzY1ZC00NDZiLWEzZDMtYWYyYWUxNzUzMDRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjYxNjM5NjQ@._V1_.jpg

Up next is the penultimate contestant from S9 (which means @thevoiceisthetop got my favorite S9 finalist correct; the only question is when will she show up? 🤔) Didi was a contestant who is often compared to Brooke White. Both were pretty, blonde (at least I believe Didi was during the season; I don’t know if she is now, but if she wasn’t then, ignore this description, LOL), and emotional singer-songwriter types, so I don’t think the comparisons were too far off. I think the main difference is Didi was more sensual whereas Brooke was pretty much chaste. In Didi’s case, she was inspired by the memory of her deceased friend to audition for Idol. She made it to Hollywood where she received high praise after her rendition of Terrified (which was co-written by then judge Kara DioGuardi). She eventually made it to the voting rounds where unfortunately she wasn’t the most consistent contestant. She started with The Way I Am, which I thought was underrated by the judges. I thought she did a great job with it. However, Lean On Me the following week was rough; it was easily her worst in the semis. It started off well enough, but she got kind of screechy in the second half of the song and was difficult to listen to. Fortunately, she was able to rebound the following week with Rhiannon, which was not only my favorite of hers in the semis, it may very well have been my favorite overall performance of hers. Didi would eventually move on to the finals where she would give an intense yet sensual performance of Play With Fire. It was my favorite of hers in the finals. The following week she would sing You’re No Good which was fine all things considered; it’s just that it felt like a bit of a let down after PWF. The subsequent week she would sing What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, which turned out to be her worst effort in the finals. With that said, I don’t think it was that bad, at least not as bad as the judges made it out to be. If anything, the worst part was the big note at the end where she went sharp. I listened to the studio version, and it has more of a folksy/bluegrass feel to it. I think if Didi was able to do this version, she would’ve been much better off. Finally, the exchange with Ryan at the end was awkward to say the least. He was trying to get Didi to say she was thinking of her deceased friend; however, Didi clearly didn’t want to go there, but Ryan kept pushing the issue. Needless to say, it was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Unfortunately, Didi would be eliminated the following night which was disappointing. I know there were some who hoped she would get the save; however, as much as I liked her and wouldn’t have minded if she got the save despite not liking the save in general, I had a feeling it wasn’t going to happen because the judges seemed to be pretty lukewarm to her. Considering who was still in the competition at the time, it was disappointing to see her leave as early as she did. Nonetheless, I liked Didi a lot and she’s still one of my favorites from her season.

46. Megan Joy: Season 8 (9th Place)

VadaWave_120216~1.jpg

Closing out the set is the Avian Goddess flying in and perching on her spot in the rankings. Megan is the second to last S8 finalist to appear (which means @thevoiceisthetop got two right thus far :haha:). S8 wasn’t, and to be honest, still isn’t one of my favorite seasons as a whole, mainly because I felt it had so much promise to be better than what it was; therefore, while it wasn’t a bad season, it was certainly one of the more disappointing ones to me. However, this gorgeous goofball was definitely one of the biggest bright spots of the season for me. I’ll admit Megan wasn’t the most technically sound singer; she had a number of intonation and pitch issues. She stated she never had any singing lessons and to be honest, it showed quite a bit during the season. 😖 However, I really loved her tone and looked forward to what she would do. In addition, she was a lot of fun to watch; I enjoyed her silly dancing and stage antics (I especially loved her dance during the Group 2 montage :dead:). She was a part of the famed Group 2 in the semis where she sang Put Your Records On. I enjoyed it despite her over-singing it at the end and hoped she would advance to the finals; however, I knew her chances were slim, especially as being the top female vote getter because Allison slayed her number. Nonetheless, Megan was invited to participate in the WC Round where she sang Black Horse And The Cherry Tree. Admittedly, this performance was a bit of mess, but I still enjoyed it. Regardless, she was picked to go in the finals, though if I were to be objective, Jesse Langseth had a better showing and probably should’ve been picked instead. Personally, I would’ve picked both Megan and Jesse and left Jasmine behind, but what can you do. Either way, Megan was in the finals where she sang Rockin’ Robin, which I thought was a really fun number. Of course, the most memorable part of the performance was her cawing at the end, which was absolutely legendary, thus the explanation of her Avian Goddess title :dead:. The following week she gave her best performance in the finals with Walkin’ After Midnight despite being sick. She sang For Once In My Life the following week and oh boy, as much as I love Megan, that was a complete train wreck; I won’t even try to make excuses for that one. 😣 Despite that, she didn’t even land in the B3 that week even though it would have certainly been justified if she had. The following week she would give her final performance with Turn Your Lights Down Low. I may be crazy, but I actually kind of liked this one; I thought it was certainly better than the previous week. As alluded to earlier, she would be eliminated the following night. Her elimination was certainly a memorable one with her cawing and flapping her wings as she headed to the B3 and breaking down after finishing her swan song. The main thing I remember was Simon saying the judges wouldn’t even deliberate saving her after she said she didn’t care about being on the show. I remember that irritated me to no end because Megan said she didn’t care that he didn’t like her performance, not she didn’t care about being on the show. Later it was revealed Megan was going through some real tough times in her life during the season; I believe the main one was her being in a heated custody battle with her ex-husband over their son. For her to be on the show and try to have fun and be in a positive mood, I commend her. I know she released some music post-Idol and remembered liking it a lot; I have to see if I can find some of it because it was lost after I switched computers. While she certainly had her flaws, I really enjoyed Megan during S8.

050. Skylar Laine

049. Nikko Smith

048. Naima Adedapo

047. Didi Benami

046. Megan Joy

Alright, the set is up. As to who may show up next:

- A different name and music direction post-Idol

- A Tim Allen sitcom

- Apologies to miss denise and Bk1234

- This finalist apparently didn't want to want this singer

- Often sang songs of the opposite gender

Edited by Crisis

- I love the way you lie in the flame: Skylar? Shares a first name with Skylar Grey who wrote "Love the Way You Lie"
- A hot explosion: Naima? For her shouting "boom fiyah"? 
- That may have been the wrong breed:  I originally had Skyler here, but now I'm left with Megan. Does this refer to her "caw caw" as a bird? Although I think birds have species, not breeds, which has me all confused. :lmao: 
- Came from a pair of Golden Gloves: Nikko - he is the son of Ozzie Smith, a Baseball Hall of Famer
- Nothing for this finalist to be afraid of: Didi because of the song "Terrified"

• Thanks 1

Last post before I call it a night:

39 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

I bet this is Angie, her name is Zealyn nowadays.

Maybe. However, I requested not to discuss future clues before the set was posted. Nonetheless, I'm feeling generous, so I'll look the other way just this once. ;)

24 minutes ago, miss denise said:

- I love the way you lie in the flame: Skylar? Shares a first name with Skylar Grey who wrote "Love the Way You Lie"
- A hot explosion: Naima? For her shouting "boom fiyah"? 
- That may have been the wrong breed:  I originally had Skyler here, but now I'm left with Megan. Does this refer to her "caw caw" as a bird? Although I think birds have species, not breeds, which has me all confused. :lmao: 
- Came from a pair of Golden Gloves: Nikko - he is the son of Ozzie Smith, a Baseball Hall of Famer
- Nothing for this finalist to be afraid of: Didi because of the song "Terrified"

23 minutes ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

- I love the way you lie in the flame - Skylar Laine
- A hot explosion - Naima
- That may have been the wrong breed - Megan Joy
- Came from a pair of Golden Gloves - Nikko Smith
- Nothing for this finalist to be afraid of - Didi

Both got it right! However, since miss denise posted first by apparently one minute, she gets the prize.

The Skylar Laine clue referenced both the songs of Love The Way You Lie  by Skylar Grey and Flame, which was Laine Hardy's coronation song. Thus, it's a combination of the two first names.

Naima's is self-explanatory :haha:

Yeah, I meant species instead of breed; I couldn't remember what birds had so I went the next best thing. :dead: Of course, Megan cawed after Rockin' Robin; however, robins don't caw, which made it more epic. The cawing would've been more appropriate if the song was called Country Crows or something along those lines. :haha:

@miss denise pretty much explained the Nikko and Didi clues. 👍

31 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Both got it right! However, since miss denise posted first by apparently one minute, she gets the prize.

The Skylar Laine clue referenced both the songs of Love The Way You Lie  by Skylar Grey and Flame, which was Laine Hardy's coronation song. Thus, it's a combination of the two first names.

Naima's is self-explanatory :haha:

Yeah, I meant species instead of breed; I couldn't remember what birds had so I went the next best thing. :dead: Of course, Megan cawed after Rockin' Robin; however, robins don't caw, which made it more epic. The cawing would've been more appropriate if the song was called Country Crows or something along those lines. :haha:

@miss denise pretty much explained the Nikko and Didi clues. 👍

Wow, the time difference. :lmao:  It really took me a while to put some of these together. I couldn't figure out the "Flame" part of that clue, but thanks for explaining. :haha:  LOL okay I see about the birds (and the robins). :haha:  

050. Skylar Laine: I loved Skylar and she was always fighting for my second favorite of the season. ^_^ I loved her confidence on stage, and enjoyed her on both ballads and uptempo numbers. WBMW was one of the standouts for me, so too bad you didn't care as much for that one. "The subsequent week she sang Why Haven’t I Heard From You, which I believe is the first time a Kellie Pickler song has been sung on Idol." I'm sure you meant "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You"? But I agree, it was a great choice for her and loved hearing another Idol alum's song on the show. ❤️  I liked some of her performances the last couple weeks, and wish she had gone a bit further, but oh well. I do think I remember her listening some music a few years ago, but yeah, not as much as I'd hoped. :( 

049. Nikko Smith: He was one of my favorites! I agree, all his semis performances were so strong and I thought he should have made the finals originally. Mario was my favorite at the time, so I was devastated when he left the competition, but I guess it was bittersweet since Nikko took his spot in the finals. "Incomplete" was definitely a standout, although I enjoyed the others and have a soft spot for his last performance. :blushingwave: He's another I wish made it further in the competition. 

048. Naima Adedapo: I was never a fan of hers at all, sorry to say...  funny you mention Qaasim and Uche, because I enjoyed them both and prefer them (including Naima)  in the opposite order they all appeared on the show. :haha:  But yeah, I could never get into her voice or style, so she just wasn't for me.  

047. Didi Benami: I don't mind her, but she wasn't a standout or favorite for me. I did love "Terrified", although I forgot all about it until trying to figure out the clues and it popped back into my mind. :haha:❤️ I enjoyed "Play With Fire" as well, but nothing else really did much for me. 

046. Megan Joy: These last three are all some of the ones I mentioned I was surprised to see rank here. :haha: I was also not a fan of Megan. :( I might prefer her to Naima, but her voice wasn't my favorite and I didn't really connect with her personally. I think I've liked some of what I heard from her post-show though.

I have some ideas floating in my head for the next set of clues, although yikes at one of them being an apology to me (and Bk1234) :dead: That is certainly not something you want to see! :lmao:😢 I'm sure I know the answer, but of course, won't say yet. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

050. Skylar Laine

049. Nikko Smith

048. Naima Adedapo

047. Didi Benami

046. Megan Joy

Good job to @miss denise and @thevoiceisthetop for getting all the clues right! 👍

My Opinions

Skylar Laine- Skylar grew to be one of my favorite finalists in S11. I also really liked “Where Do Broken Hearts Go,” even though it left a bitter taste in my mouth after S10... 😅 For me, Skylar’s performance of “Wind Beneath My Wings” truly elevated her to the top of my list. It showed me that she could be a very strong vocalist as well as a performer wanting to have fun. It’s a shame Skylar hasn’t done much post Idol... 😕 Also, while I’m on the topic of S11, I was watching one of Aydan Calafiore’s performances on the Voice Australia and noticed that DeAndre appeared to be a backup singer in this video. Maybe it’s not him...? 🤔

Nikko Smith- No comment. 

Naima Adedapo- I’m glad she got the WC pick, but she never really delivered for me afterwards... I would have ranked her lower. 😕

Didi Benami- No comment. 

Megan Joy- No comment. 

Also, I’m mentally preparing myself for the next set... 😅

Edited by Bk1234

8 hours ago, miss denise said:

Wow, the time difference. :lmao:  It really took me a while to put some of these together. I couldn't figure out the "Flame" part of that clue, but thanks for explaining. :haha:  LOL okay I see about the birds (and the robins). :haha:  

050. Skylar Laine: I loved Skylar and she was always fighting for my second favorite of the season. ^_^ I loved her confidence on stage, and enjoyed her on both ballads and uptempo numbers. WBMW was one of the standouts for me, so too bad you didn't care as much for that one. "The subsequent week she sang Why Haven’t I Heard From You, which I believe is the first time a Kellie Pickler song has been sung on Idol." I'm sure you meant "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You"? But I agree, it was a great choice for her and loved hearing another Idol alum's song on the show. ❤️  I liked some of her performances the last couple weeks, and wish she had gone a bit further, but oh well. I do think I remember her listening some music a few years ago, but yeah, not as much as I'd hoped. :( 

049. Nikko Smith: He was one of my favorites! I agree, all his semis performances were so strong and I thought he should have made the finals originally. Mario was my favorite at the time, so I was devastated when he left the competition, but I guess it was bittersweet since Nikko took his spot in the finals. "Incomplete" was definitely a standout, although I enjoyed the others and have a soft spot for his last performance. :blushingwave: He's another I wish made it further in the competition. 

048. Naima Adedapo: I was never a fan of hers at all, sorry to say...  funny you mention Qaasim and Uche, because I enjoyed them both and prefer them (including Naima)  in the opposite order they all appeared on the show. :haha:  But yeah, I could never get into her voice or style, so she just wasn't for me.  

047. Didi Benami: I don't mind her, but she wasn't a standout or favorite for me. I did love "Terrified", although I forgot all about it until trying to figure out the clues and it popped back into my mind. :haha:❤️ I enjoyed "Play With Fire" as well, but nothing else really did much for me. 

046. Megan Joy: These last three are all some of the ones I mentioned I was surprised to see rank here. :haha: I was also not a fan of Megan. :( I might prefer her to Naima, but her voice wasn't my favorite and I didn't really connect with her personally. I think I've liked some of what I heard from her post-show though.

I have some ideas floating in my head for the next set of clues, although yikes at one of them being an apology to me (and Bk1234) :dead: That is certainly not something you want to see! :lmao:😢 I'm sure I know the answer, but of course, won't say yet. 

Yes, sometimes the slightest difference can have the biggest impact. :haha: No problem about explaining the clues. :thumbs:

050. 🤦‍♂️ at getting the song title wrong; maybe that's a sign I need to take a break from this thing. 😅 I went and fixed it. As for the rest of the comments, WBMW is a song I'm tired of hearing and I instantly change to something else whenever it comes on. Yes, her confidence on stage was great to see, and she did well on both ballads and uptempo numbers.

049. I pretty much agree with everything here. It's too bad about Mario being your favorite and him dropping out, but at least you liked Nikko enough to be one of your favorites.

048. :( at Naima not being one of your favorites, but I respect the opinion. Well, I did rank some favorites of others pretty low, so I should be expecting more of this. :haha: LOL at preferring Uché, Qaasim, and Naima in that order.

047. Fair enough about her.

046. :haha: at the last three being some of the surprises. I expected Megan to be one of them because she was one of the more unconventional contestants. 😅 Fair enough about her though.

I would say something about the clue, but I feel I would give it away. It'll just have to wait until the set appears.

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Good job to @miss denise and @thevoiceisthetop for getting all the clues right! 👍

My Opinions

Skylar Laine- Skylar grew to be one of my favorite finalists in S11. I also really liked “Where Do Broken Hearts Go,” even though it left a bitter taste in my mouth after S10... 😅 For me, Skylar’s performance of “Wind Beneath My Wings” truly elevated her to the top of my list. It showed me that she could be a very strong vocalist as well as a performer wanting to have fun. It’s a shame Skylar hasn’t done much post Idol... 😕 Also, while I’m on the topic of S11, I was watching one of Aydan Calafiore’s performances on the Voice Australia and noticed that DeAndre appeared to be a backup singer in this video. Maybe it’s not him...? 🤔

Nikko Smith- No comment. 

Naima Adedapo- I’m glad she got the WC pick, but she never really delivered for me afterwards... I would have ranked her lower. 😕

Didi Benami- No comment. 

Megan Joy- No comment. 

Also, I’m mentally preparing myself for the next set... 😅

Skylar: I pretty much agree with everything written here. Watching that video, that backup singer does look a lot like DeAndre. :lmao: Maybe he has a twin we don't know about...🤔

Naima: Fair enough about her.

Again, I won't mention anything until I post the set. I'm not sure when, but everything will be revealed then...

my guesses:

050. Skylar Laine  - I love the way you lie in the flam

049. Nikko Smith - Came from a pair of Golden Gloves, the son of Baseball Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith. 

048. Naima Adedapo - A hot explosion

047. Didi Benami - Nothing for this finalist to be afraid of

046. Megan Joy - That may have been the wrong breed

and a few notes: 

season 8 was one of my fav seasons just because the amount of talent was immense. however, a lot of that talent was eliminated in semis like jesse langseth. still the finals was dominated by 1 and only adam lambert. this set still don't hold candle to him it terms of talent. the one weird stuff on that season is simon's dislike to any bird song that megan did.. 

both skylar and didi had potential that was never realized during the season. and explains why we never heard of them again. didi's best performance came during hollywood week with terrified and the semis with rhiannon. the bummer was that she was eliminated just before beatles week.. on a side note i liked her for the only reason she's half israeli from her father side (her name was kind of a given) but it was never mentioned on the show. 

Edited by blackfield

050. Skylar Laine - She was just OK for me.

049. Nikko Smith - I was glad he was the one to replace Mario but I was sad to see Mario leave. I liked Nikko's run and think he should've stayed slightly longer but I wasn't surprised when he was voted off. I really enjoyed his version of Part Time Lover.

048. Naima Adedapo - She was underwhelming for me. But her season as a whole was.

047. Didi Benami - Loved her. I had high hopes for her.

046. Megan Joy - Didn't like her at all. However, her recording of Rockin' Robin was one of my favorites of the season, surprisingly.

5 hours ago, blackfield said:

and a few notes: 

season 8 was one of my fav seasons just because the amount of talent was immense. however, a lot of that talent was eliminated in semis like jesse langseth.

Regarding the bold, that is the main reason why S8 was such a let down to me. I think that season had some of the best talent in the semis out of all the seasons (I'm still contemplating whether or not to list my favorite semifinalists, so I won't mention any names for now). Unfortunately, it meant a lot of it would be filtered out, especially with the semifinals format that was used. Still, I think the finals could've been better.

3 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

050. Skylar Laine - She was just OK for me.

049. Nikko Smith - I was glad he was the one to replace Mario but I was sad to see Mario leave. I liked Nikko's run and think he should've stayed slightly longer but I wasn't surprised when he was voted off. I really enjoyed his version of Part Time Lover.

048. Naima Adedapo - She was underwhelming for me. But her season as a whole was.

047. Didi Benami - Loved her. I had high hopes for her.

046. Megan Joy - Didn't like her at all. However, her recording of Rockin' Robin was one of my favorites of the season, surprisingly.

050. Fair enough

049. I agree with most of this. The only thing is I didn't care too much for Mario; still, it was disappointing to see him leave.

048. Fair enough

047. Same :(

046. :( Completely understandable however.

While working on the write-ups for the next set, I decided to go back and read my older write-ups. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea because I ended up cringing at some of them. 😂 I certainly could've done a better job at them, the main thing being making them longer with more details. The good thing is seeing I'm at the part where I like everyone left, the next few should be longer and hopefully better written, LOL. 😅

• Haha 1

050. Skylar Laine - My season 11 favorite. :wub: I had high hopes for her from the beginning and Stay With Me is one of my favorite Idol performances, period. She never quite lived up to this performance-wise in the finals, but I loved WDBHG, G&L, LSUOY, and WBMW, and I don't think she ever really had a bad performance. I wish she'd released more music because I liked her EP.

049. Nikko Smith - I liked him ok when I watched season 4 after the fact. Incomplete and Can We Talk were good modern R&B performances. He had some forgettable ones too which is what sent him home. 

048. Naima Adedapo - Loved Naima, one of my few season 10 favorites. I loved For All We Know and loved her up-tempo current performances as well; stylistically she was breath of fresh air especially that season. I wish she'd gone with Circle of Life or something on Elton John night. 

047. Didi Benami - She was my initial season 9 favorite as well, and I too think her "bad" performances are underrated. Her Lean On Me was good in the first half, and if she hadn't listened to Usher and gone with the folk arrangement of WBOTBH as you said, she might well have been safe. She did release an abum thugh even if it was a bit dull, as well as had a song played at the audition episodes of Idol one season. So she's done more than most 10th placers. 

046. Megan Joy - I loved her audition and enjoyed PYRO, RR, and WAM well enough, but everything else was a bit of a mess, heck even Rockin Robin was more a guilty pleasure. And yes her post-Idol music is great. :yes: 

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

050. 🤦‍♂️ at getting the song title wrong; maybe that's a sign I need to take a break from this thing. 😅 I went and fixed it. As for the rest of the comments, WBMW is a song I'm tired of hearing and I instantly change to something else whenever it comes on.

048. :( at Naima not being one of your favorites, but I respect the opinion. Well, I did rank some favorites of others pretty low, so I should be expecting more of this. :haha: LOL at preferring Uché, Qaasim, and Naima in that order.

I would say something about the clue, but I feel I would give it away. It'll just have to wait until the set appears.

- It's okay. :haha: Aww. :( I like the song, but either way, I just thought her delivery of it was great and impressive. 

- Yes, you did rank some big favorites of mine quite a bit low, so we'll have varying opinions. :haha: 😛 It is funny how that works out.

Oh, I'm curious, but will wait and see. :shiftywave:

Here’s my comments on the rankings:

1.  I liked Skylar.  I just loved Jessica more.

2.  This was a fairly good spot to rank Nikko.

3.  Naima was pretty good, but I’m not sure that I’d rank her quite this high.  She was too inconsistent.

4.  I liked Didi, but she was never my favorite.  I wonder why the judges were so lukewarm on her.

5.  I’d definitely not rank Megan Joy this high!  She wasn’t a great singer.  But she was fun, especially with “Rocking Robin”.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

Regarding the bold, that is the main reason why S8 was such a let down to me. I think that season had some of the best talent in the semis out of all the seasons (I'm still contemplating whether or not to list my favorite semifinalists, so I won't mention any names for now). Unfortunately, it meant a lot of it would be filtered out, especially with the semifinals format that was used. Still, I think the finals could've been better.

we finally found something to agree on! :hug:but actually you can say it about almost every season. yet with the format of season 8 it was more obvious. 

5 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

050. Skylar Laine - My season 11 favorite. :wub: I had high hopes for her from the beginning and Stay With Me is one of my favorite Idol performances, period. She never quite lived up to this performance-wise in the finals, but I loved WDBHG, G&L, LSUOY, and WBMW, and I don't think she ever really had a bad performance. I wish she'd released more music because I liked her EP.

049. Nikko Smith - I liked him ok when I watched season 4 after the fact. Incomplete and Can We Talk were good modern R&B performances. He had some forgettable ones too which is what sent him home. 

048. Naima Adedapo - Loved Naima, one of my few season 10 favorites. I loved For All We Know and loved her up-tempo current performances as well; stylistically she was breath of fresh air especially that season. I wish she'd gone with Circle of Life or something on Elton John night. 

047. Didi Benami - She was my initial season 9 favorite as well, and I too think her "bad" performances are underrated. Her Lean On Me was good in the first half, and if she hadn't listened to Usher and gone with the folk arrangement of WBOTBH as you said, she might well have been safe. She did release an abum thugh even if it was a bit dull, as well as had a song played at the audition episodes of Idol one season. So she's done more than most 10th placers. 

046. Megan Joy - I loved her audition and enjoyed PYRO, RR, and WAM well enough, but everything else was a bit of a mess, heck even Rockin Robin was more a guilty pleasure. And yes her post-Idol music is great. :yes: 

050. This is the only time I've seen someone list Skylar as their S11 favorite, which is absolutely great! Considering who my S18 favorite is, I know about having unconventional ones. :haha: You may be right about her not ever really having any bad performances, though there were some I didn't care for. I never heard her EP; it may be something I'll have to look for.

049. Fair enough about Nikko. Still, though I'm grateful he got a second chance, I was hoping he'd last a little longer.

048. Pretty much agree, except I'm glad she stayed away from Circle Of Life. She may have had better luck with a different song though.

047. Again, pretty much agree here. I didn't know she released an album; something else to check out though what you said about doesn't inspire much confidence. :haha:

046. Fair enough about her. Yes, I need to get her music back. 😅

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

- It's okay. :haha: Aww. :( I like the song, but either way, I just thought her delivery of it was great and impressive. 

- Yes, you did rank some big favorites of mine quite a bit low, so we'll have varying opinions. :haha: 😛 It is funny how that works out.

Oh, I'm curious, but will wait and see. :shiftywave:

- Though I'm tired of the song, I do agree Skylar's delivery was great on it.

:stealth: Having said that, varying opinions can be fun depending on the environment. It certainly funny how everything works out. :haha:

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my comments on the rankings:

1.  I liked Skylar.  I just loved Jessica more.

2.  This was a fairly good spot to rank Nikko.

3.  Naima was pretty good, but I’m not sure that I’d rank her quite this high.  She was too inconsistent.

4.  I liked Didi, but she was never my favorite.  I wonder why the judges were so lukewarm on her.

5.  I’d definitely not rank Megan Joy this high!  She wasn’t a great singer.  But she was fun, especially with “Rocking Robin”.

1. Fair enough.

2. I thought so as well.

3. What can I say; while she may have been inconsistent, I enjoyed her a lot.

4. I wonder that myself. I don't think she was as bad as they made her out to be.

5. I don't think many people would! 🤣 I guess how I feel about her is the same way people feel about Mikalah Gordon. :haha: She was definitely fun despite not being the best singer.

43 minutes ago, blackfield said:

we finally found something to agree on! :hug:but actually you can say it about almost every season. yet with the format of season 8 it was more obvious. 

I thought we agreed the S18 cast was the most screwed, so there should be two things! Yeah, it could be said about almost any season. S1 is another one I could place in this category.

I'm about 2/3 done with the write-ups for the next set, so they will most likely be posted tomorrow evening at the earliest.

I should have the next set up within the next hour or so. In the meanwhile, I'm curious to see who posters think will be my favorite finalist from each season. @thevoiceisthetop was the one who inspired this idea. He/she has posted his/her guesses and so far got two right (Laci was revealed before the guesses were made and Jovin was from the separate S18 ranking). Four have been revealed already with two of them having yet to be ranked. This is what is known thus far:

S01:

S02:

S03:

S04:

S05:

S06:

S07:

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10:

S11:

S12:

S13:

S14:

S15:

S16:

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

Ugh, I don't like triple posting and was hoping to get to the next page before the next set; nonetheless, here it is. The clues to 45-41 are as followed:

- A different name and music direction post-Idol
- A Tim Allen sitcom
- Apologies to @miss denise and @Bk1234
- This finalist apparently didn't want to want this singer
- Often sang songs of the opposite gender

45. David Archuleta: Season 7 (2nd Place)

David-Archuleta-press-photo.jpg

Leading of the new set is the second of the three S7 Davids to appear (the question now becomes when will the last one show up 🤔). David Archuleta, or Archie as I will refer to him from now on, was certainly a very popular contestant during S7. It was thought he would have a very strong chance to capture the AI crown. He is certainly one of the best teenagers Idol has ever had on the show. His biggest strength was ballads; he certainly shined on them. However, his up-tempo numbers were often lagging, so in a way he was a teenage albeit stronger version of Anoop Desai, who Archie came before. Archie’s run started off in the semis with Shop Around, which would be his best up-tempo number of the season and my personal favorite semifinals performance of his. The following week he would give the performance he’s best known for with Imagine. It was good don’t get me wrong; however, I wasn’t one ready to immediately crown him after it, plus it's another song that's in my "could go without having to hear it again" list. He then came back the following week with Another Day In Paradise which was fine. He undoubtedly made the finals where he had a rough start. He sang We Can Work It Out and unfortunately he couldn’t work that performance out because he forgot the words multiple times through it. 😣 In addition, he looked pretty awkward moving around on stage. He did say he was nervous about doing the song in his pre-performance video, so that should’ve been a sign of things to come. Fortunately, as mentioned he was very popular and a front runner, so he didn’t have the same fate the two twelfth placers had from the previous seasons. He redeemed himself the following week with The Long And Winding Road, which was a solid performance. I didn’t care too much for You’re The Voice the following week; however, I liked the next two performances of Smoky Mountain Memories and Angels. I didn’t care too much for When You Believe; also, this was the week where Archie played the George Huff role and had to pick the safe group. He responded by sitting in the middle of the stage, and David Cook came to join him which was a nice moment. :haha: Think Of Me was an OK performance, though there were better that evening. I didn’t care for either of his Neil Diamond offerings; they just didn’t do anything for me. 🤷‍♂️ I liked Stand By Me but was lukewarm towards Love Me Tender. He had mixed results during Top 3 Week. And So It Goes and Longer were solid; however, for some reason he picked Chris Brown’s With You as his third song.

Oh No What GIF by Identity

Needless to say, it was disastrous; I know he tried to show he could be contemporary, but that just wasn’t who Archie was. Regardless, he made it to the finals where he had a solid showing. His best performance was Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me. It wasn’t enough as he finished as the runner up to David Cook. Something I vividly remember was a video of some of his fan girls melting down after his second place finish; however, I’ll be nice and not post it. 😇 Anyway, Archie was able to release a few albums post-Idol. I remember hearing Crush a lot when it was first released. Outside of that, I really haven’t kept track of him; however, I’m sure the fans that follow this ranking will have more to say. 😉 In a season as strong as S7, Archie was definitely one of the strongest contestants that season.

44. Angie Miller: Season 12 (3rd Place)

XYISHUAE7AI6HCWBLGOZZHQICI.jpg

Angie was someone who I couldn’t really form an opinion on until after her season. She was one of the most hyped contestants Idol’s ever had and therefore, she was someone who I wouldn’t be able to assess objectively during the season because of it. I guess it’s whenever someone is hyped by the show, I expect said contestant to live up to it and eventually would be let down. This was especially true after she received such high praise for performing her original song You Set Me Free during Hollywood. Nonetheless, after re-watching her journey after knowing the results, I’ve come to realize I liked her quite a bit. One thing that I really noticed was that she was a student of Idol and had a game plan to take the crown. Unfortunately, she may have come off as too hungry and as a result did not come off as relatable to the voters, which may explain why she fell short. Her run began with Nobody’s Perfect which was solid. She would then sing Never Gone, which I really liked. Unsurprisingly, she made it to the finals where she had two solid performances of I Surrender and Yesterday. However, she would give what I felt was her worst effort of the season with Shop Around. I liked that she tried something different, and I liked the arrangement; however, she tried too hard to come off as this sex kitten which, while she is an attractive girl, didn’t work. She came back the following week with one of my favorite performances of hers with Bring Me To Life. This was after she threw the short straw and had to pair with Lazaro for a duet, which of course was not good mainly due to him. Fortunately, Angie was popular enough not to be dragged down by him and worry about being eliminated. Anyone Who Had A Heart was another weak showing for Angie; I thought she lacked the soul the song needed. I loved Love Came Down later that evening, however; it was certainly unexpected to hear a Kari Jobe song on Idol. I’ll Stand By You was fine, though I’ve heard better versions done on the show; Halo, on the other hand, was really good I thought. She would give my personal favorite of hers the following week with Who You Are. It was probably the performance in which she was the most vulnerable. I also liked Cry Me A River, though not as strong as WYA. Her two performances during the Top 4 Redux were fine. She had a solid Top 3 night, with my favorite being Try. It would be her last week as she was eliminated when many thought she would be in the finale. If I were being objective, I thought she had a better overall night than Kree. However, Kree had one performance that was better than all of Angie’s, plus she appeared to be more likable and relatable, which is probably why she moved on instead of Angie; besides, I liked Kree more, so I was fine with the results, though I would've understood if Angie made the finale over her. Angie took her elimination pretty hard as she was crying during her exit package; some joked this was the most emotion Angie showed all season. It was obvious she really wanted the crown, maybe a little too much. Post-Idol, I know she released an EP under her name before deciding to perform under the name Zealyn and pretty much became an electro pop artist, which is completely different from what it was thought she would do. Regardless, Angie was certainly one of the more driven contestants Idol’s ever had and is someone who I’ve come to like after the hype died down.

43. Jordin Sparks: Season 6 (1st Place)

2012-music-topic-jordin-sparks.jpg

Here we have the S6 winner. Jordin was this bubbly girl who I felt had the biggest upside of anyone that season; she was only seventeen after all, a fact Randy reminded us of every chance he got. 🙄 At the time, I was ambivalent towards her and if the person I was then did this list, she would probably be about thirty spots lower. However, she’s grown enough on me over time to rank her in the forties. She started off nicely with an up-tempo version of Give Me One Reason. I didn’t care for her other two performances in the semis; Reflection was a bit of a mess because I guess she got too emotional after watching her dedication video prior to performing, and I wasn’t too fond of her upbeat attitude on Heartbreaker, not to mention she hit quite a few bad notes in it. Regardless, she made it to the finals where she sang If We Hold On Together, which was a solid effort and one of the best of the evening. It was the following week, however, where Jordin showed her immense potential and established herself as a dark horse to win the crown. She sang I (Who Have Nothing), which I thought she would have a problem with because that’s a pretty big song for anyone to tackle, let alone a teenager. However, to her credit she completely nailed the song. While I was critical of her smiling in Heartbreaker, she absolutely got the emotional connection right on top of singing it well. It was easily her best performance of the season. The following week she took a step back, however, with Hey Baby. The biggest problem is that HB is a performer’s song, so it wouldn’t do much to showcase anyone vocally. On A Clear Day was a solid effort from Jordin, especially the held note at the end. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You had the same problem as HB, in that it’s more of a performer’s song. A Broken Wing was one of the better performances on an otherwise lackluster night. The following week, however, she gave not only what I thought was the most overrated performance of the season, it may very well be one of the most overrated performances of all time with You’ll Never Walk Alone. It wasn’t anywhere near as great as it was made out to be. Personally, I thought Phil and Melinda had better performances that night. Anyhow, on to the following week where she easily gave her worst performance of the season with Livin’ On A Prayer. Not only was the singing bad, I had no idea what she was doing with her body. The only thing I liked about it was the Sanjaya hair joke during the judges comments. 😆 However, she managed to survive the double elimination and gave two OK performances the following week. From there, it was on to the Top 3 where I actually thought she was the weakest of the three, yet she made it to the finals where she would eventually edge out Blake for the title. She would go on to have a solid career post-Idol, and I liked a couple of her songs. Of course, I can’t listen to No Air because Chris Brown’s presence taints it. However, I liked One Step At A Time and Battlefield. So yeah, Jordin is another contestant I’ve come to like more over the years.

42. Avalon Young: Season 15 (7th/8th Place)

tumblr_p141ubVewY1vs57lpo1_1280.jpg

Avalon was someone whose vibe I really dug. She was someone who had this urban contemporary R&B vibe which was nice and something different from the others that season. Also, she wasn’t into the glitz and glamour of the industry; her disdain for wearing dresses and other “girly” accessories was very apparent. 😅 She began her run by singing Love Yourself, which I, despite not being the biggest Justin Bieber fan, thought she did a great job with. It was certainly one of the better performances of the group. I also enjoyed the Flying Without Wings duet with Ruben, though I admittedly had reservations about it in the beginning, if only because that didn’t seem to be the style of music Avalon would do well in. However, I think Ruben was a good duet partner and everything seemed to work out. She would be picked to advance to the Top 14 where she would have to participate in the WC Round due to not receiving a Fast Pass. As I briefly mentioned in my Olivia Rox write-up, I would’ve liked to have seen Avalon get a Fast Pass instead of Olivia, but it is what it is. There she would reprise her Hollywood Showcase performance of Yo (Excuse Me Miss), which I enjoyed quite a bit although I had to pretend it wasn’t a Chris Brown song; I would say it was my second favorite of hers. She would advance where she would give her weakest performance with Stitches. Having said that, it wasn’t all that bad all things considered; I certainly didn’t think it was B3 worthy considering who was in the competition at the time, which is where Avalon unfortunately found herself the following week. There she would give my favorite performance of hers with Earned It, and she was thankfully picked by the judges to advance; it also helped that Olivia, who I felt was the biggest threat to Avalon advancing, didn’t give a strong performance in her own right. Unfortunately, that performance wasn’t strong enough for the voters because Avalon found herself in the B3 again the following week. There, she would sing P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) which while it wasn’t her best effort, was still something I liked. However, I will begrudgingly admit Sonika’s performance was better despite singing the overdone I Have Nothing, so I had a feeling Avalon was in trouble (Lee had zero chance of being saved, lol). My fears were right because Sonika was saved (which I didn’t have much of a problem with because I did like her; I just liked Avalon more, and if it were up to me Tristan would’ve been in the bottom instead of one of those two), which meant Avalon’s time on Idol came to an end. I know Avalon released an album post-Idol and went on to compete in the BET singing competition The Next Big Thing. I remember really liking her album and I believe I still have it on my Spotify playlist. In the end, Avalon is someone I really liked and would’ve liked to see her make it farther than she did on Idol.

41. George Huff: Season 3 (5th Place)

ford-fusion-plays-st.jpg

It’s been a long while since a S3 male has been posted; we have to go all the way back to John Stevens at #129. Anyway, George was a contestant who always seemed to have a smile on his face. He appeared to be liked by everyone he came across. He also had a nice soulful voice that was pleasant to listen to. To think George almost wasn’t a part of S3. He originally did not make the semifinals; however, Donnie Williams, who did make it, decided to celebrate a bit too much and made a mistake of getting behind the wheel. As a result, he was arrested for a DUI and thus was disqualified (I’ve made it clear how I feel about drunk driving). This allowed George to come back and take part in the semifinals. He sang Always And Forever as a part of Group Four, which was OK. If I had a criticism, it was that he used a little too much vibrato. He didn’t advance to the finals via the public vote; however, he was invited to take part in the WC round where he sang Lean On Me. He would eventually be Simon’s wildcard pick (which was definitely better than his WC pick the year before 😣) and thus, George was on his way to the finals. He got off to a very strong start with his first four performances of (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay, I Can Love You Like That, Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, and Take Me To The Pilot, with the last two being my personal favorites of his. His version of ATPTB is my favorite version done on Idol, and TMTTP was a lot of fun and definitely a highlight on an otherwise mixed night. Unfortunately, things didn’t go as smoothly for George after those four. ☹️ Around this time, he had gotten sick and started to lose his voice; therefore, the quality of his performances decreased dramatically. ☹️ His next three performances - Against All Odds, Tryin’ To Get That Feeling Again, and Live For Loving You - were all difficult to listen to, with TTGTFA being the worst of the trio. Speaking of said performance, this was also the week where Idol introduced the Top 7 Results twist where there would be two groups of three in which one group would be the B3 and the other the safe group. From there one safe contestant would pick the group who s/he thought was the safe group. George was the guinea pig and he picked the group with the Three Divas, who many, myself included, thought was the safe group. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case as this was the week of the infamous Three Divas B3, with Jennifer leaving. 😣 Back to George’s run, he had a bit of a comeback during Top 5 with his two performances of Cheek To Cheek and What A Wonderful World. While they weren’t up to the standards of his early finals performances, they were much better than his previous three efforts. This would be George’s last week as he was eliminated the following night. I know he released a couple of gospel albums post-Idol and for a while was one of Jennifer’s backup singers (I don’t know if he still is); I was happy to see him when Jennifer performed during a S10 Results Show (I can’t remember which one though). Despite his rough finish, George was one of the better contestants of S3.

045. David Archuleta

044. Angie Miller

043. Jordin Sparks

042. Avalon Young

041. George Huff

What's to come next time around:

- What's wrong with the Golden State?

- A rather deadly necessity

- Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method

- Came back into the light after four years

- Not sad hands

Edited by Crisis