Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Crisis

since none of these are my fav no arguments from me.. here are my guesses:

045. David Archuleta - - Apologies to @miss denise and@Bk1234: i think he's their fav.. 

044. Angie Miller -  A different name and music direction post-Idol: she goes by name zealyn now.. 

043. Jordin Sparks - A Tim Allen sitcom

042. Avalon Young - Often sang songs of the opposite gender: she did mostly guys songs. I think she came out as lesbian after idol. 

041. George Huff - - This finalist apparently didn't want to want this singer

9 hours ago, Crisis said:

045. David Archuleta

044. Angie Miller

043. Jordin Sparks

042. Avalon Young

041. George Huff

-Apologies to @miss denise and @Bk1234David Archuleta. Another all-time favorite. 💔  When I saw this clue I felt numb, paralyzed, crushed and I got chills like the ones I get when winter is in the air. In these rankings everybody hurts eventually, so I knew my time was coming. Despite this I told myself to just breathe and find the good in the bad. Things are going to get better, this is just a ranking. Heck, he made the Top 50 in Crisis’ rankings, which is a huge achievement. Even though I’ll be up all night pondering why he was ranked here, I won’t go on a rant because my future self will look down upon it. Anyway, what I think makes @Crisis such a good ranker is that they really analyze how well contestants did on the show, and not just in this moment. I don’t want to imagine how much of a disaster it would be if I did these...  Anyway, as a closing note, I hope @miss denise will stand by me on this next point. Archie has the glorious voice of angels and he showed me how impactful music could be. (More performance-based opinions coming later... aka more gushing. 😅)

-A different name and music direction post-Idol- Angie Miller. Angie and Candice were my favorites from Season 12, so I had hoped that they would be in the finale, but hey, I understand your points about Kree being more likable. 😊 My favorite performances of Angie were “Bring Me To Life” and “I’ll Stand By You,” which had such a sweet mention of Boston in it. ❤️ Angie would’ve probably been one of my all-time favorites had she stuck with the music direction that she performed on Idol. (Thank goodness she isn’t one, or that would be two in one set...) Changing her name is fine, but I’m just not a fan of the music. 😕

-This finalist apparently didn’t want to want this singer- Jordin Sparks. “I (Who Have Nothing)” was my favorite of hers, but in my opinion, someone performed a better version four seasons later... 🤔 “No Air” used to be tolerable until Jacob Lusk sang it, but I really like “Battlefield,” which Simon mocked in one of the seasons... 😅

-Often sang songs of the opposite gender- Avalon Young. I didn’t mind her, but I wouldn’t call myself a huge fan. It is a shame that the save didn’t really pay off for her... 😕

-A Tim Allen sitcom- George Huff. I would have ranked him below Diana, but he just seemed like such a lovable guy on the show, so I see why you like him. 👍

Edited by Bk1234

9 hours ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

- A different name and music direction post-Idol - Angie Miller 
- A Tim Allen sitcom - George Huff
- Apologies to @miss denise and @Bk1234 - David Archuleta 
- This finalist apparently didn't want to want this singer - Jordin Sparks
- Often sang songs of the opposite gender - Avalon Young

5/5!

7 hours ago, blackfield said:

since none of these are my fav no arguments from me.. here are my guesses:

045. David Archuleta - - Apologies to @miss denise and@Bk1234: i think he's their fav.. 

044. Angie Miller -  A different name and music direction post-Idol: she goes by name zealyn now.. 

043. Jordin Sparks - A Tim Allen sitcom

042. Avalon Young - Often sang songs of the opposite gender: she did mostly guys songs. I think she came out as lesbian after idol. 

041. George Huff - - This finalist apparently didn't want to want this singer

Almost. Jordin and George need to be swapped.

7 hours ago, blackfield said:

i think it would make a nice discussion for listing a fav contestant from each season. i see we have 1 fav in common from one season already!! i will let you guess who... 

Jovin! :giggle:

All kidding aside, I would probably guess Crystal since Adam appears to be the S8 favorite, and I'm not sure about Laci.

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

-Apologies to @miss denise and @Bk1234David Archuleta. Another all-time favorite. 💔  When I saw this clue I felt numb, paralyzed, crushed and I got chills like the ones I get when winter is in the air. In these rankings everybody hurts eventually, so I knew my time was coming. Despite this I told myself to just breathe and find the good in the bad. Things are going to get better, this is just a ranking. Heck, he made the Top 50 in Crisis’ rankings, which is a huge achievement. Even though I’ll be up all night pondering why he was ranked here, I won’t go on a rant because my future self will look down upon it. Anyway, what I think makes @Crisis such a good ranker is that they really analyze how well contestants did on the show, and not just in this moment. I don’t want to imagine how much of a disaster it would be if I did these...  Anyway, as a closing note, I hope @miss denise will stand by me on this next point. Archie has the glorious voice of angels and he showed me how impactful music could be. (More performance-based opinions coming later... aka more gushing. 😅)

-A different name and music direction post-Idol- Angie Miller. Angie and Candice were my favorites from Season 12, so I had hoped that they would be in the finale, but hey, I understand your points about Kree being more likable. 😊 My favorite performances of Angie were “Bring Me To Life” and “I’ll Stand By You,” which had such a sweet mention of Boston in it. ❤️ Angie would’ve probably been one of my all-time favorites had she stuck with the music direction that she performed on Idol. (Thank goodness she isn’t one, or that would be two in one set...) Changing her name is fine, but I’m just not a fan of the music. 😕

-This finalist apparently didn’t want to want this singer- Jordin Sparks. “I (Who Have Nothing)” was my favorite of hers, but in my opinion, someone performed a better version four seasons later... 🤔 “No Air” used to be tolerable until Jacob Lusk sang it, but I really like “Battlefield,” which Simon mocked in one of the seasons... 😅

-Often sang songs of the opposite gender- Avalon Young. I didn’t mind her, but I wouldn’t call myself a huge fan. It is a shame that the save didn’t really pay off for her... 😕

-A Tim Allen sitcom- George Huff. I would have ranked him below Diana, but he just seemed like such a lovable guy on the show, so I see why you like him. 👍

David:

Sorry Yom Kippur GIF by MOODMAN 💔

Thank you for the kind words about being such a good ranker despite placing one of your all time favorites here. As I mentioned, this is where it really gets tough because I really like everyone left. I'm sure @miss denise certainly will back you up regarding him. 😅

Angie: Completely understandable. I've heard some of her Weathered EP; however, I haven't really heard anything from her since she started going by Zealyn. I'll have to check it out to see how it is.

Jordin: Pretty much agree with everything here. Yes, Jacob ruined No Air (though Chris Brown becoming the douchebag he is tainted it before then); however, it was somewhat redeemed when she and Justin performed it at the S15 Grand Finale.

Avalon: Fair enough about her.

George: Fair enough about him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crisis said:

David:

Sorry Yom Kippur GIF by MOODMAN 💔

Thank you for the kind words about being such a good ranker despite placing one of your all time favorites here. As I mentioned, this is where it really gets tough because I really like everyone left. I'm sure @miss denise certainly will back you up regarding him. 😅

Angie: Completely understandable. I've heard some of her Weathered EP; however, I haven't really heard anything from her since she started going by Zealyn. I'll have to check it out to see how it is.

Jordin: Pretty much agree with everything here. Yes, Jacob ruined No Air (though Chris Brown becoming the douchebag he is tainted it before then); however, it was somewhat redeemed when she and Justin performed it at the S15 Grand Finale.

Avalon: Fair enough about her.

George: Fair enough about him.

You are forgiven. 😀 After all, it’s just a ranking and you’re doing a very good job at it! 👍 Also, I’m surprised you didn’t notice anything weird about my response to Archie being ranked. 😉

Archie- Anyway, in terms of David’s performance on the show, I thought he had an amazing run! 😄 “Imagine” is one of my favorite Idol performances of all-time! “Stand By Me” and “Angels” were also great. I do have to agree with you on his up-tempo performances. Most weren’t that great, but I thought he gave them a good effort. In a realistic ranking (in a not realistic one, he’d be #1 for me) I would have ranked him above Brooke. Post-Idol, Archie has definitely proven to be my favorite Idol alum of all time. I love his voice, I love his music, I like him as a person, he just checks all the boxes! He is also such an inspiration. 😁 He went on a religious mission for two years! 😅 He also introduced me to the wonderful Madilyn Paige, who is in his song “Seasons.” His latest album, Therapy Sessions, is definitely worth a listen. 😊👍

Jordin- I actually forgot about Jordin and Justin’s version! 😅 Anything is better than Jacob’s version though... 

You’ve gotten my #1 favorite, but as you can see by my signature, there are still two left! Hopefully, they aren’t ranked too soon.🤞

Edited by Bk1234

045. David Archuleta - Archie! He's practically my age but I still think he's adorable. I would've been fine with either David winning the crown and I really enjoyed his run.

044. Angie Miller - So talented. That top 3 elimination was rough. I had a feeling Candice would make it and then I loved both Angie and Kree so I knew I'd be sad either way. I can't wait to rewatch that season because your writeup just reminded me of all of her great performances.

043. Jordin Sparks - You just killed me. 😭 JK, but Jordin is my all-time fave. I have so many amazing memories tied to AI6 and Jordin in particular. I have to disagree with Jordin being the worst on Top 3 night; I felt that Melinda and Jordin were the better ones that night (but I might be biased). Had it been a Jordin/Melinda final two, that would've been a tough call for me. Of course, I still follow Jordin and most recently saw her in Waitress on Broadway. She was phenomenal.

042. Avalon Young - Love her. I wish she would've made it further but I think her style wasn't for everyone.

041. George Huff - I love his voice and personality!  I was so happy to see him make it as far as he did, especially being a wildcard. I wish he would've made it further but 5th place was OK for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Jovin! :giggle:

All kidding aside, I would probably guess Crystal since Adam appears to be the S8 favorite, and I'm not sure about Laci.

not even close! try again.. ;) 

season 9 fav was casey.  you already seen that. adam was second fav during season 8.. 

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

You are forgiven. 😀 After all, it’s just a ranking and you’re doing a very good job at it! 👍 Also, I’m surprised you didn’t notice anything weird about my response to Archie being ranked. 😉

Archie- Anyway, in terms of David’s performance on the show, I thought he had an amazing run! 😄 “Imagine” is one of my favorite Idol performances of all-time! “Stand By Me” and “Angels” were also great. I do have to agree with you on his up-tempo performances. Most weren’t that great, but I thought he gave them a good effort. In a realistic ranking (in a not realistic one, he’d be #1 for me) I would have ranked him above Brooke. Post-Idol, Archie has definitely proven to be my favorite Idol alum of all time. I love his voice, I love his music, I like him as a person, he just checks all the boxes! He is also such an inspiration. 😁 He went on a religious mission for two years! 😅 He also introduced me to the wonderful Madilyn Paige, who is in his song “Seasons.” His latest album, Therapy Sessions, is definitely worth a listen. 😊👍

Jordin- I actually forgot about Jordin and Justin’s version! 😅 Anything is better than Jacob’s version though... 

You’ve gotten my #1 favorite, but as you can see by my signature, there are still two left! Hopefully, they aren’t ranked too soon.🤞

Thank heavens! 😁 Again, thank you. I had a feeling it might have been a joke; however, I decided to play it safe just in case. 😅

As for the real Archie comments (I hope), with everything said, it's makes sense for him to be #1! I knew about his religious mission; I just didn't know how long it was.

Just about any horrific sounds was better than Jacob's No Air🤮 It may very well be my least favorite Idol performance of all time, or in the bottom five at least.

We'll see where the last two end up!

4 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

045. David Archuleta - Archie! He's practically my age but I still think he's adorable. I would've been fine with either David winning the crown and I really enjoyed his run.

044. Angie Miller - So talented. That top 3 elimination was rough. I had a feeling Candice would make it and then I loved both Angie and Kree so I knew I'd be sad either way. I can't wait to rewatch that season because your writeup just reminded me of all of her great performances.

043. Jordin Sparks - You just killed me. 😭 JK, but Jordin is my all-time fave. I have so many amazing memories tied to AI6 and Jordin in particular. I have to disagree with Jordin being the worst on Top 3 night; I felt that Melinda and Jordin were the better ones that night (but I might be biased). Had it been a Jordin/Melinda final two, that would've been a tough call for me. Of course, I still follow Jordin and most recently saw her in Waitress on Broadway. She was phenomenal.

042. Avalon Young - Love her. I wish she would've made it further but I think her style wasn't for everyone.

041. George Huff - I love his voice and personality!  I was so happy to see him make it as far as he did, especially being a wildcard. I wish he would've made it further but 5th place was OK for me.

045. It doesn't hurt that it looks like he hasn't aged that much. :haha: Fair enough about either David winning the crown.

044. Pretty much agree about the Top 3 elimination being rough. Any of the three had valid claims to be in the finale.

043. I got two #1 favorites in one set. I'm On A Roll!

NauticalWetHarpyeagle-size_restricted.gif

Jokes aside, good to see how supportive you are of her. We'll agree to disagree on Top 3, though a Jordin/Melinda final two would've been nice despite Blake growing on me some over the years.

042. Pretty much agree with everything here.

041. Again, pretty much agree with everything.

3 hours ago, blackfield said:

not even close! try again.. ;) 

season 9 fav was casey.  you already seen that. adam was second fav during season 8.. 

Oh yeah, I forgot Casey was your S9 favorite. So Allison is your S8 fav? After the crap I got for ranking Adam where I did, I thought he would be your favorite. :haha:

I won't have the next set up until tomorrow at the earliest because I haven't even started the write-ups yet; things are pretty hectic at work today. 😅

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Thank heavens! 😁 Again, thank you. I had a feeling it might have been a joke; however, I decided to play it safe just in case. 😅

As for the real Archie comments (I hope), with everything said, it's makes sense for him to be #1! I knew about his religious mission; I just didn't know how long it was.

Just about any horrific sounds was better than Jacob's No Air🤮 It may very well be my least favorite Idol performance of all time, or in the bottom five at least.

We'll see where the last two end up!

The first Archie comments are chock full of references. 😉 I’m surprised you didn’t catch any! 😅

8 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

The first Archie comments are chock full of references. 😉 I’m surprised you didn’t catch any! 😅

🤦‍♂️ I'm just now getting them! As I've said, things have been pretty hectic today. 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

🤦‍♂️ I'm just now getting them! As I've said, things have been pretty hectic today. 😂

It’s ok, they’re probably really hard to notice if you haven’t been following Archie. I threw in a couple Idol performances in there though. 😉

Here’s my comments:

1.  This is a pretty good spot for David Archuleta.  But I preferred him to David Cook during their season, mainly because I don’t like rock music much.

2.  This is a fine spot for Angie.  She did well but wasn’t quite good enough.

3.  Am I right in thinking that you like Haley more than Jordin?  Haley should be here instead of Jordin, as Jordin was better.  But Melinda was even better.

4.  This is a good spot for Avalon.  She deserved to go farther than she did.

5.  George was the best male singer of Season 3.  But getting sick hurt him, though at least he outlasted John Stevens.

6 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

It’s ok, they’re probably really hard to notice if you haven’t been following Archie. I threw in a couple Idol performances in there though. 😉

Yeah, it was the Idol performances and about two of his original songs that finally made me understand. I should've known after using this technique a couple of times for my clues; I guess I got what's coming to me. 😅

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my comments:

1.  This is a pretty good spot for David Archuleta.  But I preferred him to David Cook during their season, mainly because I don’t like rock music much.

2.  This is a fine spot for Angie.  She did well but wasn’t quite good enough.

3.  Am I right in thinking that you like Haley more than Jordin?  Haley should be here instead of Jordin, as Jordin was better.  But Melinda was even better.

4.  This is a good spot for Avalon.  She deserved to go farther than she did.

5.  George was the best male singer of Season 3.  But getting sick hurt him, though at least he outlasted John Stevens.

1. Fair enough

2. Yeah, pretty much agreed

3. While objectively Jordin's a better singer, I do like Haley more so you would be right with that thought. ;)

4. Agree with everything here

5. Again, agree with everything here

I guess I'll explain the clues of the previous set:

- Apologies to @miss denise and @Bk1234: miss denise revealed earlier in the thread David Archuleta is her all time favorite contestant, and Bk1234 revealed that he's in his/her Top 10 (although it has since been revealed that Archie is Bk1234's all time favorite contestant as well)

- A different name and music direction post-Idol: this one's straightforward: Angie now performs professionally under the name Zealyn and is now doing electropop music instead of CCM

This finalist apparently didn’t want to want this singer: Jordin dated Jason Derulo, who had a single called "Want To Want Me". It was a play on words

Often sang songs of the opposite gender: Another straightforward clue: with the exception of the "Rise Up" duet with Sonika, Avalon exclusively sang songs by male artists from Top 24 on

- A Tim Allen sitcom: the sitcom in question is Last Man Standing. George was literally S3's last man standing in both the season and in this ranking

045. David Archuleta:  The clue was quite obvious to this one, but thanks for thinking of me (even if it was an apology). :haha: As you know, I absolutely LOVE and adore David. I actually was familiar with him from before Idol due to his time on Star Search, but Idol is what really made me fall in love with him and his voice. I was attached from his audition, or even before with the preview of it. :giggle: He has one of the most beautiful and pure voices I ever heard AND the most beautiful and pure hearts. :wub:  He really is a sweetheart. I loved all his performances from the show in their own way. He gave so many amazing ones though, with "Imagine", of course, being a standout across all the seasons. :omg: I thought he would win and was absolutely crushed when it didn't happen. :broken::(  I have never been more attached or invested in a contestant on this show (or any show). Of course I've followed his career since and love his music. I remember his debut single "Crush" releasing the day before my birthday, so that was absolutely amazing and the best gift.  ❤️ :giggle:  He's one of only two Idols I've seen live multiple times and the only Idol I've met multiple times. :wub:  He is not only an Idol favorite, but one of my all-time favorite music artists and human beings, as well. So there is your condensed version of my Archie fandom. :giggle: 

044. Angie Miller: Well after David, I think I deserve a break, but here's my S12 favorite. :dead: 😛 I'm just giving you a hard time. But yes, I do love Angie as well and she is the one I referred to earlier when I said I really only cared about one person that season. "You Set Me Free" :wub: ! Such an amazing and memorable moment. I'll never forget it and I love that song so much. I pretty much loved all she did on the show too... I just love her and her voice. I do have most of the same favorite performances as you though, and funny you ranked two people back to back who sang the same song ("Shop Around"), yet you have very different thoughts on them. "Who You Are" was so powerful and definitely my favorite from the live shows. I was again so upset with the result, but this time because she didn't make the finals. :( I thought she would. She was always perfectly likable and relatable to me, so that's too bad. I don't really care for her new artist identity though and prefer some of the music she released after the show before the name/style change.  :( I'm still a big fan. 

043. Jordin Sparks: I love her and believe I mentioned on Blake's write-up that I was happy with either of them winning. So that shows how much I love her as well! And I was sold from her audition too, which I thought was so strong. ❤️  I loved her in the semis, but have the same favorite performance as you, and then yesss her first two in the finals. :wub:    I did feel she was a bit inconsistent for a time there, although I still always loved her voice. And the studio recordings were always so good too! "I Who Have Nothing" is another standout from all the seasons for me. :omg: But OMG "Livin' On a Prayer" is a prime example of the studio versions for me because it was her weakest performance, but I was OBSESSED with the studio of it. It's soo good, IMO. :haha:  Anyway, yes, I was very happy with her win and enjoyed her first two albums a lot. She has a lot of songs I love. ❤️ 

042. Avalon Young: The only one I don't love in this set. :haha: I still like her though. Now that you're recapping her performances, I do remember really enjoying almost all of them. I liked her style and thought she brought something fresh and different to the show. 

041. George Huff: The Huff. ❤️  I absolutely love George's voice; it has such a comforting sound about it. And I also adore his personality, so he was a big favorite of mine on this season (and favorite guy, as well). Those semis performances and the first few from the finals! :wub: He was on a roll and so great.  Ugh yeah, it's a shame he had a few weeks there that weren't so great. :( I still loved him and wanted him to advance further, but oh well. I did listen to a bit of his music post-show as well, but haven't heard from him in awhile. 

This group of clues was actually very easy for me to figure out, but obviously I'm super late. :haha: For the upcoming set, I think I at least know the last one. :giggle: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Yessss, this response is full to the brim with song references and I love it. :giggle:  And yes, of course I back you up on his amazing voice and talent. ❤️ I adore him and the passion he has for music and connection always shines through, as well. He's such a wonderful soul. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Here is an answer key of sorts. Note: I unknowingly changed the title of his song “Things Are Gonna Get Better” to “Things Are Going To Get Better.” 😅

When I saw this clue I felt numb, paralyzed, crushed and I got chills like the ones I get when winter is in the air. In these rankings everybody hurts eventually, so I knew my time was coming. Despite this I told myself to just breathe and find the good in the bad. Things are going to get better, this is just a ranking. Heck, he made the Top 50 in Crisis’ rankings, which is a huge achievement. Even though I’ll be up all night pondering why he was ranked here, I won’t go on a rant because my future self will look down upon it. Anyway, what I think makes @Crisis such a good ranker is that they really analyze how well contestants did on the show, and not just in this moment. I don’t want to imagine how much of a disaster it would be if I did these...  Anyway, as a closing note, I hope @miss denise will stand by me on this next point. Archie has the glorious voice of angels and he showed me how impactful music could be

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miss denise said:

045. David Archuleta:  The clue was quite obvious to this one, but thanks for thinking of me (even if it was an apology). :haha: As you know, I absolutely LOVE and adore David. I actually was familiar with him from before Idol due to his time on Star Search, but Idol is what really made me fall in love with him and his voice. I was attached from his audition, or even before with the preview of it. :giggle: He has one of the most beautiful and pure voices I ever heard AND the most beautiful and pure hearts. :wub:  He really is a sweetheart. I loved all his performances from the show in their own way. He gave so many amazing ones though, with "Imagine", of course, being a standout across all the seasons. :omg: I thought he would win and was absolutely crushed when it didn't happen. :broken::(  I have never been more attached or invested in a contestant on this show (or any show). Of course I've followed his career since and love his music. I remember his debut single "Crush" releasing the day before my birthday, so that was absolutely amazing and the best gift.  ❤️ :giggle:  He's one of only two Idols I've seen live multiple times and the only Idol I've met multiple times. :wub:  He is not only an Idol favorite, but one of my all-time favorite music artists and human beings, as well. So there is your condensed version of my Archie fandom. :giggle: 

044. Angie Miller: Well after David, I think I deserve a break, but here's my S12 favorite. :dead: 😛 I'm just giving you a hard time. But yes, I do love Angie as well and she is the one I referred to earlier when I said I really only cared about one person that season. "You Set Me Free" :wub: ! Such an amazing and memorable moment. I'll never forget it and I love that song so much. I pretty much loved all she did on the show too... I just love her and her voice. I do have most of the same favorite performances as you though, and funny you ranked two people back to back who sang the same song ("Shop Around"), yet you have very different thoughts on them. "Who You Are" was so powerful and definitely my favorite from the live shows. I was again so upset with the result, but this time because she didn't make the finals. :( I thought she would. She was always perfectly likable and relatable to me, so that's too bad. I don't really care for her new artist identity though and prefer some of the music she released after the show before the name/style change.  :( I'm still a big fan. 

043. Jordin Sparks: I love her and believe I mentioned on Blake's write-up that I was happy with either of them winning. So that shows how much I love her as well! And I was sold from her audition too, which I thought was so strong. ❤️  I loved her in the semis, but have the same favorite performance as you, and then yesss her first two in the finals. :wub:    I did feel she was a bit inconsistent for a time there, although I still always loved her voice. And the studio recordings were always so good too! "I Who Have Nothing" is another standout from all the seasons for me. :omg: But OMG "Livin' On a Prayer" is a prime example of the studio versions for me because it was her weakest performance, but I was OBSESSED with the studio of it. It's soo good, IMO. :haha:  Anyway, yes, I was very happy with her win and enjoyed her first two albums a lot. She has a lot of songs I love. ❤️ 

042. Avalon Young: The only one I don't love in this set. :haha: I still like her though. Now that you're recapping her performances, I do remember really enjoying almost all of them. I liked her style and thought she brought something fresh and different to the show. 

041. George Huff: The Huff. ❤️  I absolutely love George's voice; it has such a comforting sound about it. And I also adore his personality, so he was a big favorite of mine on this season (and favorite guy, as well). Those semis performances and the first few from the finals! :wub: He was on a roll and so great.  Ugh yeah, it's a shame he had a few weeks there that weren't so great. :( I still loved him and wanted him to advance further, but oh well. I did listen to a bit of his music post-show as well, but haven't heard from him in awhile. 

This group of clues was actually very easy for me to figure out, but obviously I'm super late. :haha: For the upcoming set, I think I at least know the last one. :giggle: 

045. Yeah, I had a feeling that one was going to be pretty obvious. :giggle: I forgot he was on Star Search, then again the only person overall who I could clearly remember from the show was Aaliyah. 😢 💔 I expected nothing less when it came to the gushing even in it's condensed form. :haha: I can imagine (no pun intended) how crushing it was to see him come up short when it looked like he had a strong chance to win. I'm pretty sure his debut single being released before your birthday was an amazing gift. :haha: Wow, at seeing him and meeting him multiple times; I'd guess each time was a great experience. 👍

044. I had a feeling Angie was the one contestant you said was the only one you cared about during the season. Ouch at back to back favorites being posted. :dead:  YSMF is a moment I've come to understand after the season, so it would make sense for any fans of hers to hold it dear. I can see how crushing it is for anyone who wanted her in the finale only to see her come up short. The last two sentences are the sentiments I'm getting from her biggest fans in that they don't care for her current music direction but still love and support her.

043. The entire write-up is completely understandable. I always heard the studio recording of Livin' On A Prayer was really good. 

042. Oof at her not being the only one you don't love. 😢 😉 All kidding aside, at least you like her and I agree she brought something fresh and different to the show.

041. I don't have much to say but I completely agree with everything written here. To think he almost didn't get a chance...

Yeah, looking back I think this was one of the easier set of clues I've posted. I'm currently working on the next set now and hopefully will have it posted some time today, so we'll see how you'll do with the last one. 😉

New set! The clues for 40-36:

- What's wrong with the Golden State?
- A rather deadly necessity
- Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method
- Came back into the light after four years
- Not sad hands

40. Syesha Mercado: Season 7 (3rd Place)

AR-170728765.jpg

Leading off this set is the S7 third placer. Syesha is someone who I’ve had quite the roller-coaster ride with. She appears to be pretty popular around these parts, so some may think this is too low for her. However, if my S7 self was creating this list, she would be 100 spots lower than this at the absolute minimum. I absolutely could not stand her; she was easily my least favorite finalist during the season at the time. 🤮 I don’t know what it was, but I did not like a single thing about her from her voice (I thought she over sang a lot) to her personality. Every week she was in the B3, I rooted for her to leave and would get extremely irritated every time she skated by. The absolute worst was when she outlasted Brooke (yes, I know Brooke imploded towards the end of her run, but still…). However, time has really been kind to Syesha. I think it was a year or two ago I re-watched S7, and I actually found myself liking Syesha; I guess it had to do with knowing the results ahead of time and thus not being heavily emotionally invested. Regardless, Syesha is the one contestant who I’ve done the biggest 180 on; she went from being one of my least favorite contestants of all time to being my third favorite S7 finalist and in my overall Top 40. Her three performances in the semifinals were OK, with the exception of Saving All My Love For You, in which I thought she overdid it. Her start in the finals got off to a bit of a rough start with Got To Get You Into My Life; this week would be the first of her multiple B3 appearances. The following week she rebounded with Yesterday which was a rather restrained performance from her at the time, though I rolled my eyes when she referred to herself in the third person about her B3 appearance the previous week. If I Were Your Woman was another fine performance from her; however, I didn’t care for I Will Always Love You because she did the Whitney Houston version, which I have never cared for because I thought she (Whitney) overdid it a ton. I Believe was another poor performance from Syesha, but I thought she gave probably her most underrated performance with Vanishing. Vanishing is my all time favorite Mariah Carey song, so during the season I was NOT happy my least favorite contestant was singing it. However, I don’t think she got enough credit for it; I thought she did a good job, and that’s saying something due to what I just recently said. The following week she did One Rock ‘N’ Roll Too Many, which is my personal favorite of hers. It was certainly one of the sexiest performances done on Idol. As I mentioned in my Carly write-up, I didn’t think neither she nor Carly should’ve been the B2 that week. She managed to make it to another week where she did OK with both of her Neil Diamond numbers. The following week she gave two solid performances with Proud Mary and A Change Is Gonna Come. Regarding the latter, though I said Syesha grew on me during the re-watch, I think this was the performance in which my stance on her started to soften a bit. I thought she did a good job, plus she looked beautiful (then again, I always thought she was/is a beautiful woman; that’s the one positive thing I’ve always had about her even during the time when I loathed her guts). However, Randy didn’t think so and made it known, and I found myself disagreeing with him which I hated myself for doing so. Regardless, she made it to the Top 3 where she gave an OK performance of If I Ain’t Got You and another sexy performance with Fever. However, it was her third performance, Hit Me Up, that may be the most infamous of them all. It was looked to be a flagrant attempt to bus Syesha so the two Davids could duke it out in the finale, as if it wasn’t going to be obvious anyway; apparently, the producers didn’t want to take any chances. She did the best she could with it, but it wasn’t enough, as she would predictably be eliminated the following night. I know she did some music theater work post-Idol, but I don’t know what she’s been up to outside of that. For someone who I couldn’t stand in the beginning, Syesha is someone who I’ve come to really like and appreciate over the years.

39. Trent Harmon: Season 15 (1st Place)

Trent-Harmon-Net-Worth-Wife-American-Idol-Songs.jpg

Trent was a very strong contestant and was the last winner of the FOX rendition of AI. He was someone who got off to a steady start and managed to save his best work towards the end, which is probably how he managed to beat La’Porsha. In addition, he came off as this very humble and likable guy, which can go a long way with the voters. Finally, I thought Trent had one of the best game plans in Idol history. He clearly went in with a clear strategy and executed it to perfection. Will all of that said, Trent wasn’t someone I paid much attention to at the beginning of the season. The main thing I remember early on was him having to perform solo during the Group Round in Hollywood because he had mono. Also, it took me some time to get used to his voice; it wasn’t something I was a fan of at first. His first performance What Are You Listening To was OK all things considered. After his duet with Jordin, he would advance to the Top 14 where he would receive of the judges’ four Fast Passes and thus not having to perform during the WC Round. The following week he sang Like I Can, which I didn’t care for that much; I think it mainly had to do with me not being a Sam Smith fan. He would give a stronger performance the following week with When A Man Loves A Woman, which was followed by another solid showing with Stand By Me. The next week, Trent had a mixed night which started with Counting Stars, which was easily his worst performance of the season. It’s not really a singer’s song, plus the song was too fast and wordy for him. However, he would follow that with Simple Man, which was his strongest effort of the season up to that point. It was the following week, nevertheless, that made me really think Trent had a strong shot at winning the crown. His first performance, Sharp Dressed Man, was a great and fun performance; however, it would fail in comparison to his other performance that evening. Of course, I’m talking about the heralded Chandelier, which is considered one of the best performances in Idol history. That is a VERY difficult song to sing, but Trent made it really work for him. The best thing he did was not try to sing it with the bombast Sia usually does when she sings it. The following week he had an OK performance with Tennessee Whiskey, and I didn’t care too much for Drink You Away. His third performance, Waiting Game, was not only my favorite of his during the night, it was my favorite of his of the season (yes, even more than Chandelier). He would make the finale where he would have a solid night. His coronation song Falling was one of the better ones Idol’s had (I think a lot had to do with Keith Urban co-writing it), though I liked La’Porsha’s better. If You Don’t Know Me By Now was another solid effort. For his third song, Trent reprised Chandelier, which was a risky move because it was so acclaimed the first time he would virtually have nowhere to go but down the second time. However, his reprise was just as good as the first, and I think it was this performance that won him the title. Trent decided to go the country route post-Idol, which was kind of disappointing because while I don’t doubt he can do country well, I would’ve liked for him to go in a more pop-R&B direction, oh well. Either way Trent grew on me to where he was able to overtake Avalon as my second favorite of the season.

38. Maddie Poppe: Season 16 (1st Place)

Pic_MaddiePoppe.jpg

Here we have the winner of the first season of the ABC reboot. Maddie was a cute and likable girl (though maybe not so much post-Idol, lol) who was perhaps the most consistent performer of the season, which may explain how she was able to win the crown. I don’t recall Maddie receiving much airtime prior to the semifinals; the main thing I remember was her singing Rainbow Connection at her audition, which was certainly one of the more out-of-the-box song choices. It reminded me of when Dalton sang Phantom Of The Opera during his audition. Regardless, she started off her Idol run with a fun and cute performance of Brand New Key. She was then picked to advance to the Top 14 after her duet with Colbie Caillat, where she would give my personal favorite performance of hers with Homeward Bound. It was a performance that showcased her voice in the best light IMO, especially with the transitions from her normal voice to her head voice. She would be voted into the Top 10 where she gave a fun performance of Walk Like An Egyptian, which worked well for a victory song. The following week she gave what I felt was her most underrated performance with Bare Necessities which I thought was charming; it was very similar to Laine’s Oo-De-Lally a year later. Next, she would give what many would consider her best performance of the season with Nothing Compares 2 U, and it’s easy to see why would people feel that way (though I mentioned Homeward Bound was my personal favorite not too long back). Everything just came together for that one. She followed that performance later in the evening with If It Makes You Happy, which was probably her weakest performance of the season. It probably had to do with it being a bit of a letdown after NC2U; having said that, it was still better than some of the clunkers delivered that night. She would advance to the next week where she would give two solid performances with I Told You So and God Only Knows. Regarding the latter, that was the first song choice Maddie had that was a repeat from a previous season (Dalton sang it during S15). I may have to go to WNTS and do a little research, but Nikko is the only contestant to come to mind whose every performance were songs that weren’t done in a previous season, but I digress. Maddie would reach the finale where I thought she was clearly the best of the three. Her coronation song Going Going Gone was a song that grew on me after some time because I wasn’t much of a fan of it mainly due to it sounding too similar to PP’s Gone, Gone, Gone. I liked her original tune Never Let Your Children Grow Up, and I especially loved Landslide; I thought that was the performance that sealed the deal for Maddie. With that said, I still had some reservations because I thought there was a possibility Caleb (who would be later revealed as her boyfriend) would still win. Fortunately, that wasn’t the case as Maddie was crowned the winner. Her coronation was one of the more memorable ones with the rest of the Top 10 joining her on stage and helping her get through her coronation performance, though I could’ve gone without Katy getting involved. I checked out her album post-Idol, and I remember really liking it, with my favorite tracks being Wildflowers, Made You Miss, and Take It Out On You. Also, I loved it when she first came back the following season when she auditioned as Lady Mapo; it was absolutely hilarious. :rofl: Unfortunately, the thing Maddie is probably known for post-Idol is her constantly calling out the show for treating her as an afterthought while promoting Gabby. I have some thoughts on that; however, I’ll post them separately if anyone’s interested. In spite of that, I still like Maddie a lot and consider her to be a solid winner.

37. Mandisa: Season 5 (9th Place)

mandisa-american-idol-little-rock-arkansas-tobymac.jpg

Mandisa was a contestant who was a vocal powerhouse; she could belt with the best of them. If there was a shortcoming I could find with her, it’s that her lower register wasn’t as good as her upper one. Mandisa’s Idol journey started with Simon making a crack at her weight at her audition when he said they were going to need a bigger stage after she had left the room (she’s much thinner now than she was then). I remember being really upset over that, not only because I thought it was completely unnecessary, but he didn’t even have the guts to say it in her presence. I was happy to see Mandisa confront him over it during the Green Mile episode, in a respectful and classy way of course. She started off with Never in the first round of the semis, which was a strong way to start the competition as she was the first semifinalist to perform. I usually have the mindset of hoping contestants use the semis to establish the type of artist they want to be. Seeing that Mandisa was a gospel/Christian singer, I thought she would do something in that vein. However, I enjoyed Never, plus she had the voice to do it justice, so I can’t say I had much of a problem. She followed her rock number with a country one when she sang Cry the following week. It was a good performance, but I thought she shouted the chorus at times. She came back the following week with the soul classic I’m Every Woman, which I felt was the best of the three. She made it to the finals where she performed Don’t You Worry ‘Bout A Thing. It was this performance where I noticed her lower register issues. The song was too low for her in the beginning, but she was able to save it towards the end. The following week she would give not only my favorite performance of hers, but one of my favorite performances of the season with I Don’t Hurt Anymore; it’s easily in my Top 5 from the season. She was a tour de force with that number. Unfortunately, Mandisa stumbled a bit during Top 10 with Shackes (Praise You); then again most contestants struggled that week. The main thing that’s probably remembered was her comments before the performance, which caused some controversy. It was thought she was attacking the LGBTQ+ community; however, Mandisa insisted she was talking about her addiction to food, which was the reason she struggled with her weight at the time. Regardless, the performance itself wasn’t all that good. Unfortunately, things didn’t get any better for Mandisa the following week when she sang Any Man Of Mine. It was easily her weakest effort of the season, so much so she would be eliminated the following night; maybe it’s the song because it would do Siobhan in four years later. The B3 that week was difficult for me because I liked all three of them; however, Mandisa was my least favorite of the three, so I was fine with her leaving then although there were others who I would’ve liked to see leave instead. Despite her ninth place finish, Mandisa went on to have a very successful post-Idol career in the CCM market. I’ve heard a lot of her music on the radio back when I listened to it a lot. She went on to be nominated for five Grammys and winning one, so it appears she’s doing just fine. Overall, despite her rough finish, Mandisa was someone I enjoyed a lot during her time on Idol.

36. Trenyce: Season 2 (5th Place)

trenyce-cobbins-ride-foundation-inaugural-gala-dance-for-africa-in-la-07-23-2017-1.jpg

Closing out the set is LaShundra "Trenyce" Cobbins. Trenyce was my initial S2 favorite, but two have since passed her by; nevertheless, I still like her a lot. Admittedly, a lot of it had to do with me having a bit of a crush on her, as I thought she was really pretty. :ph34rwave: Shallowness aside, I also really enjoyed her as a singer and performer. As for her Idol run, she started off with Love Sneakin’ Up On You as a part of Group 1 in the semifinals, which I thought was good, though she overdid it with the grunting. Regardless, I thought she did well enough to advance to the finals; however, she wasn’t even among the Top 3 vote getters. Fortunately, she was invited to perform in the WC Round where she would give my personal favorite performance of hers with Let’s Stay Together; it may very well still be my favorite rendition of the song on Idol. She would be Paula’s pick to advance to the finals where she would have another strong performance with Come See About Me during the Top 12. The following week she was the first to sing what would become one of the most overdone songs in Idol history with I Have Nothing. Some consider it to be the best version done on the show. Personally, I’m more partial to Jennifer Hudson’s version; however, Trenyce’s version is one of my favorites as well. The following week Trenyce would give her worst performance of the season with I Need You. The most memorable part is where she flubbed the chorus when she sang “I need you like murder, like breasts, like Wayne”. :dead:; still, it was better than Phil Stacey’s rendition four years later. From there, Trenyce had a bit of a rough patch over the next four weeks, though personally I didn’t think she was all that bad compared to some of the other contestants that season. I’m Every Woman was a nice step up from INY. The Power Of Love was probably her most underrated performance; I thought Simon was talking out of his you-know-what on that one. Baby Grand was fine albeit a tad on the boring side. Finally, Have You Ever was technically fine despite over-singing it at some parts; however, it lacked any kind of emotion, which was obvious if anyone has seen Brandy perform it live. I would say it was the worst of the four. Trenyce had a nice "comeback" during Top 5 week with both of her showings. Proud Mary was a lot of fun; it looked like she had a blast doing it, though Simon said it reminded him of a drag act. Love Will Keep Us Together was a cute performance. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t be enough as she was eliminated the following night. I pretty much knew she was out when Ruben was in the B2 with her. It was disappointing to see her leave at the time, but at least she went out on a positive note. Post-Idol, Trenyce has had a great career in music theater. It seems most former Idol contestants do well there despite someone being called theatrical was considered a slam. Regardless, Trenyce is still someone I think positively about when it comes to Idol contestants.

040. Syesha Mercado

039. Trent Harmon

038. Maddie Poppe

037. Mandisa

036. Trenyce

With Trent's appearance, that means my S15 favorite is now known. Here is the updated list:

S01:

S02:

S03:

S04:

S05:

S06:

S07:

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10:

S11:

S12:

S13:

S14:

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16:

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

Here's what to come next time:

- What more does there need to be done?
- No new item
- Did not unfortunately live up to the title of the coronation song
- Responsible for a finalist's nickname
- Was unable to change the voters' minds

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

040. Syesha Mercado

039. Trent Harmon

038. Maddie Poppe

037. Mandisa

036. Trenyce

-Not sad hands 🐧Syesha Mercado. Syesha is a contestant who really grew on me throughout the season. In the beginning she was pretty average to me. She started to pique my interest after “Vanishing.” But after “One Rock ‘N’ Roll Too Many,” I started really looking forward to her performances (and yes, it was very “sexy” 😅). “A Change Is Gonna Come” is one of my favorite performances from the season, and allowed Syesha to climb up to one of my Top 4 favorites of the season. ❤️ I loved her personality, and I would’ve placed her and Archie above Brooke. 

-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method- Trent Harmon. I thought his performance of “Chandelier” was great, but I personally was rooting for LaPorsha to win. Also, Jennifer kind of predicted his win when she mentioned Phillip Phillips during his “solo” group round. 😅

-A rather deadly necessity- Maddie Poppe. She wasn’t my pick to win the finale out of the Top 3 (Gabby was), but I was just happy that Caleb didn’t win. I was so annoyed by Katy’s “Vote for Maddie” comments the night before though...😒 Anyway, I found Maddie’s comments toward the show quite ungrateful and disrespectful. 😕 The only reason she has a career at all is because of the show! 😅

-Came back into the light after four years- Mandisa. I found Simon’s comment incredibly rude, and I also loved the way Mandisa stood up to him! ❤️

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?- Trenyce. No comment. 

Edited by Bk1234

my guesses but not sure about syesha and trenyce: 

040. Syesha Mercado - What's wrong with the Golden State? 

039. Trent Harmon - Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method

038. Maddie Poppe - A rather deadly necessity

037. Mandisa - Came back into the light after four years

036. Trenyce - Not sad hands

two winners and neither was my fav on their season. i think maddie payed a costly price for not keeping her mouth shut. still the way HR treat or don't treat the idol winners is disgraceful. . doesn't seem they take much interest in their careers. at least maddie got a full album unlike laine who only got 3 lousy songs.. i pity sam who will turn up to be their next victim. but happy for dillon who will be their success story coming next season.. 😜

and please share with the rest of the class your thoughts on maddie post idol.. 

Edited by blackfield

12 hours ago, Crisis said:

S15: La'Porsha Renae

OMG I thought I'm the only one who preferred La'Porsha over Trent on that season lol. It would've been nice to see an African-American female to win on the (supposedly) last season of American Idol. Her Diamonds performance is ugh, one of my guilty pleasures

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

OMG I thought I'm the only one who preferred La'Porsha over Trent on that season lol. It would've been nice to see an African-American female to win on the (supposedly) last season of American Idol. Her Diamonds performance is ugh, one of my guilty pleasures

La’Porsha and Trent weren’t my favorites from the season, but out of the two, I preferred La’Porsha also! 😊

13 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

-Not sad hands 🐧Syesha Mercado. Syesha is a contestant who really grew on me throughout the season. In the beginning she was pretty average to me. She started to pique my interest after “Vanishing.” But after “One Rock ‘N’ Roll Too Many,” I started really looking forward to her performances (and yes, it was very “sexy” 😅). “A Change Is Gonna Come” is one of my favorite performances from the season, and allowed Syesha to climb up to one of my Top 4 favorites of the season. ❤️ I loved her personality, and I would’ve placed her and Archie above Brooke. 

-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method- Trent Harmon. I thought his performance of “Chandelier” was great, but I personally was rooting for LaPorsha to win. Also, Jennifer kind of predicted his win when she mentioned Phillip Phillips during his “solo” group round. 😅

-A rather deadly necessity- Maddie Poppe. She wasn’t my pick to win the finale out of the Top 3 (Gabby was), but I was just happy that Caleb didn’t win. I was so annoyed by Katy’s “Vote for Maddie” comments the night before though...😒 Anyway, I found Maddie’s comments toward the show quite ungrateful and disrespectful. 😕 The only reason she has a career at all is because of the show! 😅

-Came back into the light after four years- Mandisa. I found Simon’s comment incredibly rude, and I also loved the way Mandisa stood up to him! ❤️

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?- Trenyce. No comment. 

3/5 on the guesses. As for the comments:

Syesha: Fair enough about the comments. As for the last sentence, objectively Syesha and Archie had better runs than Brooke; however, I just happen to like Brooke more, even with her issues in the finals.

Trent: Obviously I was rooting for La'Porsha to win as well, but if anyone were to beat her I was happy it was Trent (I would be singing a different tune if it were Dalton or MacKenzie :ph34rwave:). I missed the part where J Lo mentioned Phillip during his "group" round performance.

Maddie: Yeah, I wasn't too much of a fan of Katy's comments and actions either. Fair enough about not caring for Maddie's comments towards to show. I'll share my opinions regarding that in a separate post.

Mandisa: Completely agree with everything said here. 👍

10 hours ago, blackfield said:

my guesses but not sure about syesha and trenyce: 

040. Syesha Mercado - What's wrong with the Golden State? 

039. Trent Harmon - Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method

038. Maddie Poppe - A rather deadly necessity

037. Mandisa - Came back into the light after four years

036. Trenyce - Not sad hands

two winners and neither was my fav on their season. i think maddie payed a costly price for not keeping her mouth shut. still the way HR treat or don't treat the idol winners is disgraceful. . doesn't seem they take much interest in their careers. at least maddie got a full album unlike laine who only got 3 lousy songs.. i pity sam who will turn up to be their next victim. but happy for dillon who will be their success story coming next season.. 😜

and please share with the rest of the class your thoughts on maddie post idol.. 

2/5.

I pretty much agree with what was written, especially with the way HR has treated the winners thus far. Fortunately Maddie was able to release an album. I don't know what happened with Laine (although he has more important things to worry about now), and I fear the worst for Sam. As mentioned earlier, I'll share my thoughts on Maddie post-Idol in a separate post.

2 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Agreed. Hey, there's no reason to feel guilty about liking Diamonds; that was a great performance after all! 😆