AI S18 On With the Show: Season Finale

istersay

15 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

So you mean to tell me my favorite finally won American Idol and all it took was for me not to watch that much and show disinterest in this season. :dead: I finally found the recipe. It took 18 seasons but my favorite FINALLY won. :dead: Thank you, COVID-19. :wub: #JustSam2020Winner

I thought Laine was your favourite last year? :unsure: 

17 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

And I’m glad Arthur’s family celebrated even though he lost.

Arthur's family was probably relieved that he now won't have to suffer the same fate as Maddie and Laine.

Edited by mytake1

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Maybe they did think that he won!  They’re immigrants from Nepal and might not have understood that Arthur was the runner-up due to the language barrier.

This is what I thought. I was cringing so hard at the end seeing them dancing all around with champagne bottles, drunk. Like if they were really celebrating him getting 2nd, great, but if not, thats mega awkward. Compile that with a possibly enduring misunderstanding of  Arthur thinking he got 36 million votes, I don't know how how he's going to let them down from that. 

Edited by redwood79

I mean they were celebrating like he won way before that. When Ryan announced he was in the top 2, him and his family acted like he won already lmao. Ryan had to tell him to settle down. I think they were confused.

4 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I mean they were celebrating like he won way before that. When Ryan announced he was in the top 2, him and his family acted like he won already lmao. Ryan had to tell him to settle down. I think they were confused.

Yeah, I feel bad for him. Language barrier worsened by COVID. 

(I feel bad for Arthur, not his fans. (Most of) Those people are monsters)

Edited by redwood79

13 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

Yeah, I feel bad for him. Language barrier worsened by COVID. 

(I feel bad for Arthur, not his fans. (Most of) Those people are monsters)

No need to feel bad for Arthur.  He dodged a bullet.  He's not a slave to an Idol contract that guarantees you returning to singing a Disney cover, while ignoring your own music.  Last year's winner has not even release his album.  Maddie's album was the worse selling of all the winners.

Edited by mytake1

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I mean maybe Arthur’s family was just wanting to support him regardless of how he did...

True, but it just looked awkward compared to no one celebrating with Just Sam when she was the actual winner.

3 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

True, but it just looked awkward compared to no one celebrating with Just Sam when she was the actual winner.

Arthur is with his family and Sam's been by herself. What was Arthur's family supposed to do - not celebrate? I think people are reading too much into it. :haha:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Arthur is with his family and Sam's been by herself. What was Arthur's family supposed to do - not celebrate? I think people are reading too much into it. :haha:

Probably. I'm just saying it looked awkward but that describes this season in a nutshell. :dead:

53 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Idk, you can be happy, screaming happy even, for being Top 2. I get that. But they were just like on top of the world, popping confetti, drunk, singing, even as they announced he lost the actual title. Gosh, Gabby and Madison respectively broke into heavy tears after finishing 3rd place. So...

Random note: Remember when everybody said they made it a Top 5 because Just Sam was 5th place and they needed a girl in the finale? I think the actuality was she was in a very close 2nd behind Arthur for the entire season and they wanted as many similar guys in the finale to split the votes (they got four carbon copies of the same guy, !!!), so they cut it right where the second to last girl would be eliminated (Julia was likely 6th in the vote) to ensure maximum vote splitting

I mean I personal didn't think anything of it...it was just slightly awkward for them to be celebrating like that when he was announced as one of the top 2 contestants. I remember making the comment that Arthur family should probably wait a bit. Like you haven't won yet. Ryan was like "okay, that's enough now" lmao. Not sure why anyone would feel bad for them though. It wasn't that serious. I think they were happy regardless.

21 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

Random note: Remember when everybody said they made it a Top 5 because Just Sam was 5th place and they needed a girl in the finale? I think the actuality was she was in a very close 2nd behind Arthur for the entire season and they wanted as many similar guys in the finale to split the votes (they got four carbon copies of the same guy, !!!), so they cut it right where the second to last girl would be eliminated (Julia was likely 6th in the vote) to ensure maximum vote splitting

I agree in retrospect that Just Sam was probably second in the voting, but I’m not so sure that they manipulated things to ensure that there were enough similar guys in the finale who could split the voting.  The voters decided who were in the Top 5, after all.  But it could have worked out that way.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

24 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

Idk, you can be happy, screaming happy even, for being Top 2. I get that. But they were just like on top of the world, popping confetti, drunk, singing, even as they announced he lost the actual title. Gosh, Gabby and Madison respectively broke into heavy tears after finishing 3rd place. So...

Maybe they know he'll be free to sign with another label.  It's not inconceivable Arthur gets a record deal.  Gabby did.  So did Laci Booth.  Hopefully, it won't be with HR like Alejandro.

Edited by mytake1

12 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

I wouldn't say everyone. I was like the only one who had that theory...and I was wrong lmao. In retrospect, I kind of don't know why they settled on a top 5 finale. I will say Francisco was last on google trends so maybe he wasn't doing as well as we all thought. 

1 minute ago, mytake1 said:

Maybe they know he'll be free to sign with another label.  It's not inconceivable Arthur gets a record deal.  Gabby did.  And it was announced for Laci Booth.  Hopefully, it won't be with HR like Alejandro.

We heard you the first 500 times. They are an immigrant family. I doubt they know the intricacies of the record label. They clearly wanted him to win. Why would he be on this show if he didn't want to. Additionally, why would there be that much celebration over him losing. Does that make sense to you? I feel like all of your post repeat the same things: the winners flop and contestants are better off not winning, even though the non-winners aren't exactly killing it either. Nothing suggest Arthur will be a breakout star.

2 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I feel like all of your post repeat the same things: the winners flop and contestants are better off not winning, even though the non-winners aren't exactly killing it either. Nothing suggest Arthur will be a breakout star.

No one is claiming that Arthur will be a breakout star.  But if Gabby and Laci can get record deals, it's not inconceivable he will be sign.  And what I said about Maddie and Laine are true.  Their comeback to Idol were Disney covers - not any original music.  FACT:  After a year winning, Laine has yet to release an album.  FACT:  Gabby does have a Platinum single.

3 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I agree in retrospect that Just Sam was probably second in the voting, but I’m not so sure that they manipulated things to ensure that there were enough similar guys in the finale who could split the voting.  The voters decided who were in the Top 5, after all.  But it could have worked out that way.

Where do you guys get the conspiracy theories?  Did your mama tell you everything in life is manipulated?  If they really manipulated things the way your post suggests and anyone ever found out about it the show would be over. Lawsuits.  Jail.  Gazillions of dollars lost. 

Cheating kids in a singing competition ain't cool and as much as you want to believe it - it's not worth the risk for the network.  Cheating to get a winner on a TV show doesn't translate to the real competitive music world.  That's where the winner has to be successful for the show's process to be validated and the show to be rewarded.

Edited by Cranberrys

26 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

Where do you guys get the conspiracy theories?  Did your mama tell you everything in life is manipulated?  If they really manipulated things the way your post suggests and anyone ever found out about it the show would be over. Lawsuits.  Jail.  Gazillions of dollars lost. 

Cheating kids in a singing competition ain't cool and as much as you want to believe it - it's not worth the risk for the network.  Cheating to get a winner on a TV show doesn't translate to the real competitive music world.  That's where the winner has to be successful for the show's process to be validated and the show to be rewarded.

Well, it wasn’t my idea.  And I highly doubt that there was any cheating involved.  When I said that vote-splitting might have occurred in the finale between the four guys, I thought that it happened by pure chance (America put four guys and one girl in the finale fair and square) and not by manipulation of any kind.  But I’m not complaining about the end result.

Except vote splitting isn’t a thing when the votes are capped per contestant. The rationale behind vote splitting in early seasons was that, as votes were unlimited, to vote for a second (or third) contestant, you’d be taking votes away from the first contestant. With only 10 votes per contestant (that you can cast simultaneously), that’s not possible anymore.