Dee Watches Survivor (Currently On Kaoh Rong)

Deeee

3 hours ago, Deeee said:

@#jeah @Elliott @Alex95 @Solaris @Zoey @QueenKalie @.Rei

My thoughts on Gabon are finally up and I will be resuming my watching of Tocantins now. It's been some of the toughest days of my life for me personally the last few days, but you guys enjoying my trip through Survivor with me is a real high point. Thank you.

I don't remember much of Gabon tbh. I remember that I loved Sugar during the season and thought everybody else was either awful or annoying. 

Susie making it to the finale and nearly winning is always gonna be low-key iconic and hilarious though :haha:

I loooooove Gabon. 😍

So many fantastic characters and probably the first season where everyone had their own storyline. I don’t think anyone was given an invisible edit as there was no predictable winner. Some of my favourite cast members come from Gabon. ❤️

Why haven’t you given up on Tocantins yet? It needs deleting from the world.

• Haha 1

Gabon :wub: :wub:. One of my fave seasons, righteous cast ranking. What's so amazing about Gabon is how it always zigs when you expect it to zag. After a plethora of predictable mastermind winners in a row, Marcus is the clear next in line to take the crown. He has his bitchy, but strategically and socially sound white people all lined up behind him, ready to fall on their sword for him whenever he asks. His only opposition? A ragtag team of misfits whose unlikability and lack of social grace would have them fighting not to be first boot on any other season. Instead, the emotionally unstable wannabe actress brings them all together, and one of the most random casting choices in Survivor history becomes the d-listed slut of the week by pulling off one of the greatest blindsides and falls from grace in Survivor history by slaying Marcus.

Moves led by emotion are more fun than moves led by strategy. With Sugar running the show, every single move was based on how she felt that day, making it a season run by emotion. That's how instead of getting the Marcus/Ken/Matty win we expect out of this show, Bob Crowley defeats Susie Smith by one vote. How close we were to Susie Smith being a Survivor winner will forever astound me in the most amazing of ways.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Gabon :wub: :wub:. One of my fave seasons, righteous cast ranking. What's so amazing about Gabon is how it always zigs when you expect it to zag. After a plethora of predictable mastermind winners in a row, Marcus is the clear next in line to take the crown. He has his bitchy, but strategically and socially sound white people all lined up behind him, ready to fall on their sword for him whenever he asks. His only opposition? A ragtag team of misfits whose unlikability and lack of social grace would have them fighting not to be first boot on any other season. Instead, the emotionally unstable wannabe actress brings them all together, and one of the most random casting choices in Survivor history becomes the d-listed slut of the week by pulling off one of the greatest blindsides and falls from grace in Survivor history by slaying Marcus.

Moves led by emotion are more fun than moves led by strategy. With Sugar running the show, every single move was based on how she felt that day, making it a season run by emotion. That's how instead of getting the Marcus/Ken/Matty win we expect out of this show, Bob Crowley defeats Susie Smith by one vote. How close we were to Susie Smith being a Survivor winner will forever astound me in the most amazing of ways.

All of this. Beautifully said! The fact that Sugar controlled the game with emotion really made this season one of the most interesting experiences that I have ever had with reality television. I loved every single moment of this ragtag group blundering through the game. It's all so bizarre!

I actually feel like I ranked it too low as a season and might push it above Vanuatu and Palau when I rank the seasons after finishing Tocantins. I think it might hold up better in the long run than those two.

1 minute ago, Deeee said:

All of this. Beautifully said! The fact that Sugar controlled the game with emotion really made this season one of the most interesting experiences that I have ever had with reality television. I loved every single moment of this ragtag group blundering through the game. It's all so bizarre!

I actually feel like I ranked it too low as a season and might push it above Vanuatu and Palau when I rank the seasons after finishing Tocantins. I think it might hold up better in the long run than those two.

It's definitely above Palau for me, but I've been on the record that I'm not a big Palau fan. Vanuatu and Gabon is an interesting comparison. I think Gabon is just fun, trashy reality television which makes it quite the experience. Vanuatu definitely has more complex and interesting storylines. I would probably but Vanuatu higher, but Gabon is more fun to watch.

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

It's definitely above Palau for me, but I've been on the record that I'm not a big Palau fan. Vanuatu and Gabon is an interesting comparison. I think Gabon is just fun, trashy reality television which makes it quite the experience. Vanuatu definitely has more complex and interesting storylines. I would probably but Vanuatu higher, but Gabon is more fun to watch.

I know you said Palau loses its magic after the first viewing, which is probably true since the story of Ulong being decimated is not shocking anymore. 

Vanuatu has such a compelling group of women, and watching their dissolution is pretty psychologically intriguing imo, which is why my initial instinct was to rank Gabon below Vanuatu. Gabon is definitely the more fun season, just because I think Vanuatu becomes really dark due to the iconic Twila.

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

I actually enjoy Palau more on rewatch tbh. It’s less stressful watching Ulong lose every episode when you already know they won’t win anything.

LOL this is a very valid perspective. 

Coach blindside was necessary. Taj blindside was upsetting. TJ and Stephen are way too into Coach and way too vanilla for me. I need this final episode to move more quickly because Tocantins is not good.

I forgot - what is the consensus on Samoa?

6 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Coach blindside was necessary. Taj blindside was upsetting. TJ and Stephen are way too into Coach and way too vanilla for me. I need this final episode to move more quickly because Tocantins is not good.

I forgot - what is the consensus on Samoa?

Consensus on Samoa?  Samoa is....

1 minute ago, Solaris said:

Samoa has an interest post merge, but with its characters, its in my bottom 10 seasons.

I would need to look back, but I think I remember most of you saying that Samoa is not very good.

Samoa is a season you could skip if it wasn't important for the following season.  

Samoa has 2 returning players over the course of Survivor. So its useful information.  

Edited by Solaris

I love Tocantins :haha:

Tbh, I think Samoa is worth watching. Russell’s edit is WAY too lopsided but besides that, there are several other great characters and the winner is severely underrated imo

This might be a weird suggestion, but I’d almost suggest skipping Samoa now, watching HvV first, and coming back to Samoa after a few seasons do you don’t get burned out on Russell and it doesn’t ruin your HvV experience. Just an idea though!

Edited by #jeah

2 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I love Tocantins :haha:

Tbh, I think Samoa is worth watching. Russell’s edit is WAY too lopsided but besides that, there are several other great characters and the winner is severely underrated imo

Can you explain why so many love Tocantins? I’m legitimately struggling to care about this season. Luckily, I’m at FTC.

Ahh the introduction of Hantz. Got it.