Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013 dir. by The Coen Brothers)

VibrantCandidArabianoryx-max-1mb.gif

I love this movie so much. Directed, produced, and written by The Coen Brothers, Inside Llewyn Davis is a black-comedy/drama film that follows one week of Llewyn Davis' life as he struggles to keep his life in order and achieve success as a folk singer. I love nearly every single Coen Brother film, but this one might be at the top of the list. It's truly phenomenal.

The cast stars Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, Garrett Hedlund, Justin Timberlake, F. Murray Abraham, and Adam Driver. The character of Llewyn Davis is partly inspired by the autobiography of real-life folk singer Dave Van Ronk. The singer's music also served as a major inspiration for the script, in particular, the songs of the film. Most of which were recorded live and sung in full. "The Auld Triangle" is I believe the only song not performed live by the cast. The music is a real highlight of the film, as it often is in a Coen Brothers film. But the music here really is pretty divine. Particularly if you are fond of the older folk sound.

The film premiered at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and released to massive critical acclaim. The film is really dark and somber and an honest look at the life of a struggling artist that is unwilling to compromise their artistry for success. Isaac is phenomenal in the lead role. No surprise that his career took off after this performance. I know a lot of prominent folk artists of the 60s did not appreciate the film's portrayal of the folk music scene, but the film as a whole is just phenomenal. It currently holds a Metacritic score of 93/100 and a 92% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Inside Llewyn Davis received a total of 90 award nominations. Two of those being Academy Award nominations - Isaac was snubbed hardcore. At least the Globes honored his role. I am so happy this film achieved such a high ranking. I am really bummed to be the one to cut it, but I hope more of you go and watch it!

SAVING: Ex Machina

7 minutes ago, aliasocfan said:

Carol

I love messy write ups done on my phone. This movie came out in 2015. It stars Care Blancette, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson and Kyle Chandler. This movie has two women having an affair. The movie takes place in the early 50ties, so that is going to make it significantly more difficult for the characters.  (I automatically assume this is a Hard cut for Megan. My apologies) 

On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 94 percent approval rating. That is with an average score of 8.55/10. On metacritic, it has a very impressive score of 94/100. This once again earns universal acclaim. It is also deemed a must see movie.

Saving 10 Cloverfield Lane

carol deserves better than this shit write-up

6 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Okay but Midsommar making it this far despite being two (2) (dos) rankers' #1 target for awhile is ICONIQUE

If Rei and I ever actually strategized to get it out, we probably wouldn't have had to target it so much. :dead:

• Like 1

THE CONJURING (2013)

giphy.gif

While I am clearly no longer anti-horror (thanks to Anne & Dee and this game in general), I am totally fine cutting The Conjuring as it is one of the few movies left that I have not seen. The Conjuring is a 2013 horror movie that is definitely one of the most famed and popular horror movies of the 2010s decade. Made on a meager budget of $20 million and grossing over $319 million, this movie was a smash hit and spawned a sequel that also did quite well in this rankdown. Made by the director of Saw, The Conjuring is about a pair of paranormal investigators who help a family that is being haunted by a dark presence in their farmhouse. Starring queen Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, and Lili Taylor among others, this movie is definitely wildly popular and even critically acclaimed with an 85% score on Rotten Tomatoes. I am cutting it because there are not many movies I'm willing to cut in this set of noms, sorry to any big fans.

Saving: Gone Girl

Well since Dee wanted to sass me...

Cut Annihilation

Save The Lighthouse

🙂

JK, I'm gonna let this expire anyway by editing this post because I've actually seen Annihilation and need all the help having a Top 20 of films I know.

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Well since Dee wanted to sass me...

Cut Annihilation

Save The Lighthouse

🙂

JK, I'm gonna let this expire anyway by editing this post because I've actually seen Annihilation and need all the help having a Top 20 of films I know.

Well it doesn’t count with an edit :P 

Just now, .Rei said:

nope, just that no superhero movie in this rankdown is top 20 worthy 

Fair enough. :P Those aren't the last two I would have standing. I'm surprised there is more horror left than superhero with the hate for horror being strong in the beginning. :haha:

• Like 1