Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Rust & Bone

Rust_and_Bone_poster.jpg

tumblr_nr8033FQus1rfd7lko1_400.gifv

Rust & Bone is a 2012 French-Belgian romantic drama film directed by Jacques Audiard. The movie follows the story of Ali, as he leaves Belgium for Antibes to live with his sister and her family, in order to find a better living and provide for his son. Upon his arrival, Ali meets Stephanie, a killer whale trainer, as they start developed a strong bond and eventually fall in love. The two leads of the film are Academy Award Winner Actress Marion Cotillard and belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts. The movie only made $26M against a budget of $20M, so at least it made its budget back. As for reviews, the film got great ones like the following one "Surging on strong performances from Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts, Rust and Bone is as vibrant and messily unpredictable as life itself". The film has a tomato score of 81% and a Metascore of 73/100. This is a film that I haven't watched and probably won't tbh.

Saving: Before Midnight

tumblr_ppo94ct7fy1x0uneyo1_500.gifv

• Sad 1

ZERO DARK THIRTY

tina-fey-golden-globes-gif-zinger

I remember seeing the film (or at least most of it) back when it first came out, but I can't say I've ever really revisited it much since. The film tells the story of the hunt for Osama Bin Laden, and most notably stars Jessica Chastain. Queen! Upon its release at the end of 2012, the film was lauded with praise and subsequently appeared on many "Best Of" lists at the end of 2013. On the other side, the film also garnered controversy for its seemingly pro-torture method, wherein the torture shown in the film resulted in getting information. CIA director Michael Morell said that wasn't an accurate depiction, and it was later revealed that a former CIA director had spoken classified information in a gathering of people that the film's screenwriter was present in. Oopsies! I don't really have any strong feelings about the film, though I think this is a good spot for it to go all things considered. Here's the trailer so I could post that gif above:

SAVE: Avengers: Endgame

• Sad 1

tenor.gif?itemid=4536995

War Horse

Sorry Steven but I really really really don’t like this movie and since IDK real life stress has destroyed me mentally these last 2.5 weeks I don’t really care about many of my favorites which have made the Top 100 making it to the Top 30 now I guess. Less writing for me. Anyway, War Horse was at one point the most fiscally successful WWI movie, but then Wonder Woman came along and destroyed it. I think 1917 also may have snuck up and overtaken it as well. But I think that points more to the dearth of good World War I movies than anything else. Probably because World War I is a far more complex war to make into a movie than WWII.

War Horse is kind of a classic Steven Spielberg movie that I feel is about two decades after its time. This would have been a standout movie in the 90s. And feels like it really belongs in the 50s. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. And shouldn’t be shocking since the novel came out in 1982. It just feels out of place in 2011 when it came out. It’s just the sweet sentimentalities of the film feel out of time for a war movie. And overall it is a sentimental movie about a boy who loves a horse. And the journey they both take to get reunited despite the backdrop of WWI.  

Anyway, like I said up top, WWI is a harder war to make a movie out of than WWII because of Hollywood’s and the Western World’s real inability to examine the British as agitators to the same level as the Germans. (Again something that Wonder Woman got shockingly correct and one of the reasons why All Quiet on the Western Fromt still endures). And this movie feels like it fits into the same category of British sentimentality that infects most WWI movies. 

Also this is a movie for Dads. I know this because the only reason I saw it was because I saw it on Christmas Day 2011 because my dad got to choose the movie. The theater was filled with Dads and their reluctant families accompanying them. 

In sum. A good WWI movie is the Peter Jackson documentary is They Shall Not Grow Old which made me cry a lot.

Saving: Martha, Marcy May, Marlene

Edited by totes4totes

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Nico’s Noms Posted)

Monsieur Lazhar (2011 dir. by Philippe Falardeau)

yXQRq7.gif

This set of noms was really, really hard. LOL. This is the one of six films remaining in the game that I have not seen, and the only film in this set of nominations that I do not absolutely love + have a deal to leave safe. 

A French-Canadian film, Monsieur Lazhar is a drama film based on Bashir Lazar, a one-character play written by Évelyne de la Cheneliere. The film tells the story of an Algerian refugee in Montreal who steps in to teach at an elementary school after the former class teacher commits suicide. Director Philippe Falardeau also took on the pretty huge task of writing the adapted screenplay and transforming a one-character story into a full-length feature film with many characters. Pretty impressive. Falardeau and producers Luc Déry and Kim McCraw all attended the play together and were excited at the idea of making this into a film.

The film stars Mohamed Saïd Fellag in the lead role, but also features Sophie Nélisse, Émilien Néron, Danielle Proulx, and Brigitte Poupart, along with many others. Upon release, the film received widespread critical acclaim. Critics noted the films humanistic storytelling, emotional complexity, thoughtful exploration of the student-teach dynamic, tender portrayal of grief, and fantastic performance from Fellag. The film currently holds an approval rating of 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metacritic score of 82/100. 

The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film. The film pretty much swept the Genie Awards and Jutra Awards. Pretty cool. This movie seems great and I really want to commit to watching it, so I avoided plot spoilers. Sorry Chris, the game is literally so hard at this point, but congratulations for bringing this film so far. It seems deserving.

SAVING: Melancholia

• Sad 1