Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Gravity

giphy.gif

I remember watching this movie in 3D with a very cute boy I was dating at the time so I unfortunately don't remember much about the movie. Oops. :giggle:I do remember the 3D aspects of the film being really stunning so there's that. I think I need to rewatch this movie. :haha: Gravity was released in 2013 and is a science fiction thriller film directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Alfonso Cuarón also co-wrote, co-edited and produced the film. It stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as American astronauts who are stranded in space after the mid-orbit destruction of their Space Shuttle and attempt to return to Earth. The movie is pretty straightforward. The movie basically has two characters in Sandra Bullock as Dr. Ryan Stone and George Clooney as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski. My only complaint with the movie was the ending because there is no way Sandra's character could have survived such a landing but I didn't want her to die either so I was #conflicted. :haha: The movie was distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The film became the eighth highest grossing film of 2013 with a worldwide gross of over $723 million against a production budget of around $100 million. The film has a 96% score on RT and was universally praised by critics and audiences alike. The visual effects were especially impressive. The film earned many accolades such as at the 86th Academy Awards, Gravity received ten nominations, including Best Actress for Bullock and Best Picture and won seven awards including Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects. The film was also awarded six BAFTA Awards, including Outstanding British Film and Best Director, the Golden Globe Award for Best Director, seven Critics' Choice Movie Awards, the 2013 Ray Bradbury Award and the 2014 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. As you can see the film received many awards. It's a great film but its run ends here.

Save: IT

Wreck It Ralph 

Wreckitralphposter.jpeg

I really should watch it this. I just never had. It is a comedy, which means odds are I will not like it. 😤 I just avoided nominating it because I know it is well liked. I only go after big names if I actively dislike them. 😇

Let us get back to this movie. It came out back in 2012. It made 471 million at Box Office off of a 165 million budget. Because it made money, we all know what happened...

There's a sequel! Yay. 

Now that we covered the commercial success, let us move onto the critical success. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 87% approval rating. It has an average score of 7.4/10. Apparently, even adults could enjoy this movie. How nice for people with young children. As always Metacritic has a similar score. They have a 72/100 rating. 

I got from a solid source that this is superior to plenty of other Disney movies. That's very nice for this movie. We are just getting to the point where I'm not cutting movies I like over movies I haven't even seen. 

Save the Conjuring

DUNKIRK

Dunkirk is a movie I really like actually but it’s been nominated for ages now and we’re down to the wire so it’s a fair cut at this point. Directed by the amazing Christopher Nolan, this movie focuses on the true story of the German army invading Dunkirk in France and the rescue of thousands of allied troops during early WWII. This stars Harry Styles, Tom Hardy, Fionn Whitehead, etc and is a really fantastic movie. It does a good job at keeping the suspense at an all time high with a very small amount of dialogue. I will edit this later.

Saving: Thor Ragnarok

Edited by #jeah

INTERSTELLAR

interstellar_2014_advance_original_film_art_a_6b147259-e4ec-4f33-b4f1-ff675c6fb87e_600x.jpg?v=1574284010

Released in 2014, Interstellar is a science fiction film starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, and others. Humanity is struggling to survive and on the brink of extinction due to a second Dust Bowl in this dystopian future. Corn is the only valuable crop left, and the younger generation is being taught false history too. A NASA physicist played by Michael Caine believes he found a solution: interstellar travel, which is moving between stars and solar systems in the universe. He plans to evacuate the Earth's population to a new planet via a wormhole with a gravity equation. If he cannot solve the gravity equation, then Plan B is sending fertilized eggs to the new planet while leaving behind the people on Earth to die. However, he'll need a group of astronauts to explore and find out which of the three possible planets is most hospitable for humankind. It's a risky mission, and these astronauts could never see their family members again. And of course, several things go wrong too as crew members die and time becomes dilated. However, throughout all the complicated scientific theories discussed in the film, love remains the central theme. Interstellar has a 72% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and the consensus saying "Interstellar represents more of the thrilling, thought-provoking, and visually resplendent filmmaking moviegoers have come to expect from writer-director Christopher Nolan, even if its intellectual reach somewhat exceeds its grasp." And as Wikipedia notes, "The film had a worldwide gross of over $677 million (and $696 million with subsequent re-releases), making it the tenth-highest-grossing film of 2014. Interstellar received positive reviews for its screenplay, direction, themes, visual effects, musical score, emotional depth, acting, and ambition. At the 87th Academy Awards, the film won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, and was nominated for Best Original Score, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing and Best Production Design."

Saving Blade Runner 2049.

tumblr_ot8kvevamt1qdhps7o4_r1_540.gif?w=356&h=145

train-to-busan-585b193011980.png

tumblr_oxmz1sp5xc1ty8mi0o4_r1_500.gif?w=500

My apologies to the fans of the movie, but this cut should come to no surprise as I've been nominating throughout the rankdown & it's up against a movie that I enjoyed. So let's talk about this movie - Train to Busan was released in 2016 & it falls into the action horror genre. It was directed by Yeon Sang-ho while featuring the acting skills of Gong Yoo, Jung Yu-mi, and Ma Dong-seok.  The movie takes place on a train to Busan, hence the name of the movie - we find ourselves amidst a zombie apocalypse in South Korea which is a threat to the country and passengers of the train. 

I have never seen or heard of this movie until this rankdown, however I have no doubt that the individuals who seen it liked it - I would assume that it is the case considering how the film broke audience record during its showing in theatre. Congrats to the fans for carrying it this far - it receives an impressive placement. 

SAVING: IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Victoria's Noms Next)

tenor.gif?itemid=11238676

The Impossible

Martha Marcy May Marlene

You Were Never Really Here

Beasts of the Southern Wild

The Blackcoat’s Daughter

The Big Sick

Black Panther

Snowpiercer

If Beale Street Could Talk

A Fantastic Woman (Una Mujer Fantástica)

The Lobster

The Babadook

Moonlight

Game Night

Two Days, One Night

Incendies

Animal Kingdom

Before Midnight

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Victoria's Noms Posted)