Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

But if there was a film I would accidentally rig against, it would totally be Horrible Bosses lol, one of my least favorite movies ever. The storyline between Charlie Day and Jennifer Aniston is disgusting and I don't know how they got away with it in 2011 with acclaim.

9 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I don't think Horrible Bosses had been nominated 👀. I searched pretty extensively for all the nominated films for the never nominees twist.

Good thing I didn't end up nominating it so we could get rid of it this cycle :haha: 

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

p9463958_v_v8_aa.jpg

I've never seen anything Star Trek related before, and I typically don't care for sci-fi stories set in outer space. So, that's why I've chosen to eliminate this film. Wikipedia tells me that Star Trek Into Darkness is about Captain Kirk and his crew on the USS Enterprise going on an expedition to the homeworld of the Klingon to find John Harrison. Harrison used to be a Starfleet member, but now he's a terrorist. The main cast of the film includes Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood, and Leonard Nimoy. Critics enjoyed this film, and it has an 84% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site also says, "Visually spectacular and suitably action packed, Star Trek Into Darkness is a rock-solid installment in the venerable sci-fi franchise, even if it's not as fresh as its predecessor." However, the film was met with some controversy. There were criticisms about a gratuitous scene with a female character in her underwear, and it was called "wholly unnecessary." As well, the character Khan was whitewashed by having him be portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch. Khan has canonically been a non-white character in the past. Anyway, I don't think this is a film I would seek out to watch, but apologies to any fans or Trekkies here.

And I'm saving Rise of the Guardians.

VzsC.gif

Edited by Steven_

The Two Popes 

220px-The_Two_Popes_poster.png

I legitimately had no idea this movie existed until today. My name is Anne Marie. I went to Catholic School for over a decade. This feels so weird to me. But I digress. This movie supposedly came out last year. I am not entirely convinced it actually exists. 

This movie hypothetically follows the death of Pope John Paul II. Ratzinger is elected as Pope afterwards. (This was while I was still in Catholic school a very big deal). Then a few years later the Catholic School has a scandal... I didn't realize that was shocking anymore. That Pope resigns (shocking!) and a new one is elected. Don't ask me his name because I do not know. 

The actors in this movie seems to get nominated for a few awards or it is just part of the conspiracy to make me believe this movie actually exists. 

Ghostbusters (2016)

giphy.gif

Ghostbusters is a supernatural comedy film directed by Paul Feig and it was written by Paul Feig and Katie Dippold. It is a reboot of the 1984 original of the same name. It's the third film overall in the Ghostbusters franchise. The film was released in 2016 and stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth. The movie revolves around four women and their assistant and how they begin a ghost catching business in New York City. It has the same plot as the original except with a gender bender twist. Most of the cast from the original film make a cameo in this film so that's cool. The film received backlash when it was announced that the cast was going to be female-led. Despite all the backlash the movie received a 74% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Ultimately, the film lost $75 million for the studio and the studio abandoned plans for a sequel. I didn't hate this and the all female cast didn't bother me at but Melissa McCarthy needs to be in better films. :dead:

Saving: Captain America: The First Avenger

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS

Water_for_Elephants_Poster.jpg

Water for Elephants is a 2011 film based off of the 2006 novel of the same name. The film, which stars Robert Pattinson, Reece Witherspoon and Christopher Waltz, is about a former veterinary student that takes a job in a travelling circus and ultimately falls in love with the ringmaster's wife. I’ve never seen it but looking it up, apparently there were allegations of animal abuse on set and video footage to back-up those claims, so this film can go f*ck itself with something hard and sandpapery to be quite honest. While it received mixed reviews from critics, it ultimately earned $117 million on a $38 million budget. 

SAVE: Detective Pikachu

Edited by Elliott

@Deeee has Ralph Breaks the Internet vs. The Butler. I saw him post in the Disney thread that he was protesting yesterday so obviously that's a bigger priority than this game so I won't be too strict. Hopefully he will get his cut in this afternoon though!

The Butler (2013 dir. by Lee Daniels)

6PeF.gif

The Butler is a good movie, so this was a tougher decision to make than most of you would think! Inspired by Will Haygood's Washington Post article "A Butler Well Served by This Election," this historical drama film directed by Lee Daniels is loosely based on the real life of Eugene Allen. Allen is a well-known waiter and butler that served in the White House for 34 years, until his retirement as head butler in 1986. In this film, Forest Whitaker portrays Cecil Gaines, a Black butler that witnesses notable social and political events at the White House over the course of his 34-year tenure. 

The film begins with Gaines recounting his life story while waiting to meet the newly inaugurated Barack Obama at the White House. Gaines is raised on a cotton plantation in Georgia, and bears witness to his mother being raped and his father being murdered for confronting the rapists. Gaines is taken in as a house servant by the plantation owner. At age 18, Gaines leaves the plantation and breaks into a pastry shop for food. The head servant takes pity on Cecil, and gives him a job as a servant. Cecil learns all of his skills from Maynard, who eventually recommends him for a job in Washington D.C. While there, he meets him wife Gloria and they have two children, Louis and Charlie.

Gaines is witness to Eisenhower's handling of racial segregation in the school system + the Little Rock Central High School racial integration events. Gaines recounts the events of the Nashville sit-ins, an event that his son Louis engages in and is arrested for as well. There is an exploration of the Freedom Riders and their attack by the hands of the KKK on the way to Birmingham, Alabama. Gaines' eldest son Louis participates in the Birmingham Children's Crusade, which directly leads to the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by JFK + Lyndon B. Johnson. Louis participates in the Selma Voting Rights Movement, which directly leads to the passing of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The film visits Louis as he joins the Black Panthers after the assassination of MLK Jr., and deals with Nixon's attempts to suppress the Black Panthers. 

All of his son's pro-Black activism has led to enormous amounts of tension between Cecil and Louis, which comes to a head during the Reagan administration. Cecil begins to feel troubled by the unequal pay and lack of career advancement offered to Black staff at the White House. And after witnessing Reagan's refusal to support economic sanctions against the apartheid system in South Africa, Cecil resigns from his position. Cecil recognizes his son as a hero, and even joins him in a protest against the apartheid system, which lands them both in jail together. The film ends with Cecil planning to meet the newly inaugurated Barack Obama. 

There is a massively star-studded cast featured in this film:

Gaines' private life

Oprah Winfrey as Celia Gaines

David Oyelowo as Louis Gaines

Elijah Kelley as Charlie Gaines

Alex Pettyfer as Thomas Westfall

David Banner as Earl Gaines

Mariah Carey as Hattie Pearl

Terrence Howard as Howard

Adriane Lenox as Gina

Yaya DaCosta as Carol Hammie

Vanessa Redgrave as Annabeth Westfall

Clarence Williams III as Maynard

White House co-workers

Cuba Gooding Jr. as Carter Wilson

Lenny Kravitz as James Holloway

Colman Domingo as Freddie Fallows

White House historical figures

Robin Williams as Dwight D. Eisenhower

James Marsden as John F. Kennedy

Minka Kelly as Jackie Kennedy

Liev Schreiber as Lyndon B. Johnson

John Cusack as Richard Nixon

Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan

Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan

Stephen Rider as Stephen W. Rochon

Civil Rights Leaders

Nelsan Ellis as Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jesse Williams as James Lawson

Danny Strong as Freedom Bus journalist

So why am I cutting this film? A few reasons. Firstly, the film is a Weinstein Company production. Secondly, the film is very contrived and is clearly trying to make obvious points with all of the historical sign-posting, instead of really investing in hearing Black voices during this time period. The film should be more about his experiences, rather than him recounting all of the "aMAziNg ThInGS wHITe pE0ple dID 4 BLaCK pE0ple." The acting in this film is superb and top-notch, which is really the main reason to watch this film other than its historical significance. Whitaker is always a phenomenal actor, but this is certainly one of his finest performances to date. While all of the actors deliver A+ performances, the film is too on-the-nose to really be a deep and meaningful analysis of the Black experience during the Civil Rights Period. 

My main reason for eliminating this film, which feels icky given the protesting I just did yesterday, is because the film is riddled with historical inaccuracies. I want to see historical Black films portrayed with complete accuracy! BLACK PEOPLE DESERVE TO HAVE REAL STORIES TOLD. And the film was marred by the fact that so many white people were upset that Ronal Reagan was portrayed for the racist piece of sh*t that he really is. That is a massive positive of the film! Because Ronald Reagan sucks!!!! But I just want Black people to be accurately portrayed in films that are meant to be historical pieces.

Amazing acting should bring all of you to watch this film and should inspire all of you to learnt he story of Eugene Allen! But I am eliminating this for a few reasons that make this film feel less important than it should be!

SAVING: Ralph Breaks the Internet