Most Underrated Singers of Each Season

thevoiceswimmer

Hi guys, wanted to know each singer from each season who you believe got the credit they deserved. Not who should have won, but the one who never got their due credit. I tend to not say finalist because they obviously had fans if they made it that far

Season 1- Rebecca Loebe

Season 2- Katrina Parker

Season 3- De'Borah

Season 4- Luke Edgemon

Season 5- Amber Nicole

Season 6- Ddendyl/Ciera Mickens

Season 7- Alisan Bray/Elyjuh Rene

Season 8- Tonya Boyd Canon

Season 9- Korin Bukowski/Andi & Alex/Regina Love

Season 10- Owen Danoff/Tamar Davis/Ayanna Jahnee

Season 11- Dana Harper/Maye Thomas

Season 12- Autumn Turner/Stephanie Rice

Season 13- Janice Freeman 😭/Kristi Hoops

Season 14- Mia Boostrom/Jackie Verna/Molly Stevens/Teana Boston

Season 15- RADHA/Natalie Brady/Kameron Marlowe/Mercedes Ferreira-Dias

Season 16- Lisa Ramey/Mari/Karly Moreno

Season 17- Injoy Fountain/Khalae Lynee

Season 18- Anaya Cheyenne/Taylor Green

Season 13 - Karli Webster/Emily Luther (her KO is one of my favorite Voice performances ever)

Season 14 - Reid Umstattd/Mia Boostrom

Season 15 - Franc West/Jake Wells

Season 16 -  Oliv Blu/Cecily Hennigan

Season 17 - Brooke Stephenson

• Like 2

S7: Troy Ritchie/Taylor Phelan

S10: Ryan Quinn

S11: Michael Sanchez

S13/S17: Matt New

S13: Mitchell Lee

S15: Kameron Marlowe

Love them all to death, I still listen to them to this day. Thankful I discovered them through this show.

Edited by mjdolorico

3 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Season 13 - Karli Webster/Emily Luther (her KO is one of my favorite Voice performances ever)

Season 14 - Reid Umstattd/Mia Boostrom

Season 15 - Franc West/Jake Wells

Season 16 -  Oliv Blu/Cecily Hennigan

Season 17 - Brooke Stephenson

i dont think emily is underrated but she is definitely robbed

7 minutes ago, azwige said:

i dont think emily is underrated but she is definitely robbed

I only listed her bc I felt like her KO was second to Chloe's but I don't hear it get mentioned all that often.

Only doing since S5 since that’s when I started watching.

S5: Kat Robichaud

S6: Kat Perkins

S7: DaNica Shirey

S8: Mia Z

S9: Andi & Alex

S10: Tamar Davis

S11: Belle Jewel

S12: Stephanie Rice

S13: Janice Freeman

S14: Mia Boostroom

S15: SandyRedd

S16: Kendra Checketts

S17: Myracle Holloway

S18: Uh... Mandi Thomas? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MatthewPalermo said:

Only doing since S5 since that’s when I started watching.

S5: Kat Robichaud

S6: Kat Perkins

S7: DaNica Shirey

S8: Mia Z

S9: Andi & Alex

S10: Tamar Davis

S11: Belle Jewel

S12: Stephanie Rice

S13: Janice Freeman

S14: Mia Boostroom

S15: SandyRedd

S16: Kendra Checketts

S17: Myracle Holloway

S18: Uh... Mandi Thomas? 

Taste for days

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

S13 - Sophia Bollman, Kristi Hoopes, Stephan Marcellus, Katrina Rose

S14 - Sharane Calister, Alexa Capelli, Stephanie Skipper, Genesis Diaz
S15 - Katrina Cain, Delaney Silvernell, Natasia GreyCloud, Natalie Brady, Fousheé

S16 - Alena D’Amico, Ciera Dumas, Cecily Hennigan, Oliv Blu, Beth Griffith-Manley

S17 - Ricky Braddy, Steve Knill, Destiny Rayne, Elise Azkoul, Caroline Reilly

Season 6 - Kaleigh Glanton/Clarissa Serna

Season 7 - Troy Ritchie/Amanda Lee Peters

Season 8 - Mia Z/Sonic

Season 9 - Darius Scott/Sydney Rhame

Season 10 - Tamar Davis/Angie Keilhauer

Season 11 - Dana Harper/Belle Jewel

Season 12 - Stephanie Rice/Casi Joy

Season 13 - Karli Webster/Rebecca Brunner

Season 14 - Alexa Cappelli/Mia Boostrom/Stephanie Skipper (Love all 3 so much, I couldn't narrow it down to 2)

Season 15 - Katrina Cain/Claire DeJean

Season 16 - Beth Griffith-Manley/Kendra Checketts

Season 17 - Brooke Stephenson/Destiny Rayne

Edited by indii

Do you mean, not appreciated in relation to their performance/ ability/ brilliance, or

do you mean, cut too early? 
They’re not equivalent, although there’s probably a Venn diagram for it.

Edited by tshe.ring

thought this might be relevant to the thread. Oliv's actual performance was pretty rough but this studio version is soooo good. I've been coming back to it since her season and I have it saved on my phone.

I’m mainly focusing on singers that got cut too early to show their full potential, but they did have some good performances (in brackets) that should have attracted more attention during their short run.

S3: Joe Kirkland (Mean)

S4: Amy Whitcomb (House of the Rising Sun)

S5: Lina Gaudenzi (Not Ready to Make Nice/I’d Rather Go Blind)

S6: Dani Moz (Edge of Glory/I Need Your Love - montaged, but I like the studio)

S7: Alessandra Castronovo (Next to Me)

S8: Hannah Kirby (Gimme Shelter/I Feel the Earth Move/Shout)

S9: Siahna Im (Fever)

S10: Tamar Davis (Lay Me Down/Lady Marmalade)

S11: Simone Gundy (Diamonds)

S12: Hanna Eyre (Blank Space)

S13: Kristi Hoopes (Heaven, Heartache and the Power of Love)

S14: WILKES (One Headlight/Nobody to Blame)

S15: Natasia Greycloud (I’m Not the Only One/Tennessee Whiskey)

S16: Mari (Work It Out)

S17: Marina Chello (I Who Have Nothing/Valerie)

S18 so far: Arei Moon (Miss Independence/You Don’t Know My Name). She’s not eliminated yet, but I doubt she can make it through the Top 17 round.

Edited by longtimelurker
spelling
  • Like 1

Starting with Season 7 - counting underrated singers for a combination of not being appreciated for their brilliance/artistry, and being cut too early. I'm also going to omit anyone who made it to the Top 9 or further, since I feel like making it that far, even if you were robbed in the Bloodbath Semifinals week or whatever, is a sign that you had fans.

7. Troy Ritchie. One of those rare contestants who peaks in the Knockouts and STILL goes home anyway. He was one of the most fun contestants we ever got. (Honorable mentions: Menlik Zergabachew)

8. Anthony Riley. This guy only got to give two of the best performances in THE HISTORY of The Voice before he voluntarily dropped out. Had he given more, I'd think people would have given him his due, but he's gone largely forgotten. He was truly, absolutely special. He made being special look so easy. Probably one of the most talented people in the HISTORY of this show. Like a proto-Chris Blue, but even better as a vocalist. Also, Rest In Peace, Anthony 💔 (Honorable mentions: Mia Z)

9. Darius Scott. He could weave through notes like his voice was an instrument. His audition was brilliant. This guy had so much control over his voice. Unfortunate that a mediocre Playoffs performance sealed his fate when everything he did before that was exceptional. (Honorable mentions: Victor Kiraly, Blaine Mitchell, Morgan Frazier)

10. Tamar Davis. Straight up, one of the most talented singers in the show's history who just didn't appeal to the demographics. That's literally the only thing she did wrong. (Honorable mention: Moushumi, who was destroyed by the show handing her mainstream pop songs that didn't suit her incredible voice, instead of giving her wicked psychedelic rearrangements like "Wicked Games")

11. Dana Harper. Perpetually underrated, this woman was eliminated WAY too early. She had such a warm, soothing tone. She and Jason were massive victims of the preference towards country singers. Also, I'll never quite understand how Blake chose Courtney over her. I liked Courtney, but Dana was special. (Honorable mentions: Jason Warrior, Sophia Urista, and Belle Jewel, who the show sank by montaging her twice so people couldn't get a chance to know her)

12. Stephanie Rice. She's one of my all-time favorite contestants. I'm glad to see how much others are appreciating her in this thread. Anyone who doesn't REALLY know her needs to listen to her band's debut album, Dear Misery by Colonial Blue. Anyone who likes indie rock and blues rock with a strong female vocalist will find that it's one of the strongest albums available in those genres. She's absolutely incredible. And I'm just gonna say it; I feel like she struggled a lot due to her sexuality. It sucks that it's still a hurdle for contestants who are out and proud. (Honorable mentions: Johnny Gates, Jonny West)

13. Moriah Formica. She had such a powerful rock voice. We don't have enough female rock singers on this show. She just got lost in the shuffle somewhere, and it's unfortunate because she was incredible in all of her performances. I'd have preferred her over Ashland, but it is what it is. (Honorable mentions: Chris Weaver)

14. Mia Boostrom. She was insanely good. I feel like she's an example of how subtle vocalists go under-appreciated in this show. She really wasn't much of a belter and didn't have to be. Her tone was so warm and syrupy. "Wade in the Water" will always be special. It's (Honorable mentions: Kelsea Johnson, Drew Cole, Reid Umstaddt)

15. Lynnea Moorer. She got massive pushback just for being the Comeback Artist and "not deserving it" over the other eliminations. She had so much potential. (Honorable mentions: Kameron Marlowe and RADHA, neither of whom should have gone home over Tyke James. Seriously, Adam?)

16. Almost too many to count. This season's jank format ruined our chances of getting to know so many worthy singers, including Beth Griffith-Manley, Rebecca Howell, Lisa Ramey, Domenic Haynes, and Kalvin Jarris. And heck, okay, I'll count Mari too because even though she made it farther than most in the quarterfinals, she was fantastic and should have made it even further.

17. Jake HaldenVang. This guy was so good. He suffered the same fate as Moushumi: given insipid pop songs that didn't suit his voice. Seriously, after "There's Nothing Holding Me Back," it was clear that the show's production was holding him back. (Honorable mentions: Marina Chello, Khalea Lynee, Gracee Shriver, Kiara Brown, Dane & Stephanie)

18. Tayler Green. It's way too early to tell on this one, but this woman dropped what I thought was one of the best Knockouts in the entire season - better than some of the winners - and still went home. I loved her R&B cover of "Time After Time." I'd have loved to see what she could have done with other similar songs. I'm still shocked and hurt that she didn't get saved.

• 2 years later...

S1: Casey Weston, Frenchie Davis
S2: Katrina Parker, Lindsey Pavao
S3: Michelle Brooks-Thompson, De'Borah
S4: Caroline Glaser
S5: Juhi, Lina Gaudenzi, Destinee Quinn, and the entirety of Ceelo's Top 3
S6: Tess Boyer, Dani Moz, Clarissa Serna
S7: Troy Ritchie, Allison Bray, DaNica Shirey, Toia Jones
S8: Nathan Hermida, Sonic, Hannah Kirby, Mia Z, Caitlin Caporale
S9: Evan McKeel, Darius Scott, Riley Biederer, Celeste Betton, Korin Bukowski
S10: EMILY KEENER, Owen Danoff, Laith Al-Saadi, Ryan Quinn, Tamar Davis, Moushumi
S11: Dana Harper, Belle Jewel, Sophia Urista, Kylie Rothfield, Simone Gundy
S12: Stephanie Rice, Johnny Gates, Casi Joy, Felicia Temple, Anatalia Villaranda
S13: Team Miley PO eliminees, Emily Luther, Chris Weaver, Hannah Mrozak
S14: Mia Boostrom, Kelsea Johnson, Reid Umstattd, Tish Haynes Keys, Jackie Verna
S15: Lynnea Moorer, RADHA, Kameron Marlowe, Katrina Cain, Natasia Greycloud
S16: MARI MARI MARI MARI MARI, Domenic Haynes, Beth Griffith-Manley, Lisa Ramey, Presley Tennant, Rebecca Howell, Kendra Checketts
S17: Joana Martinez, Myracle Holloway, Marina Chello, Khalea Lynee, Kyndal Inskeep
S18: Tayler Green, Jacob Miller, Mandi Castillo, Mandi Thomas, Megan Danielle
S19: Payge Turner, Madeline Consoer, Chloe Hogan
S20: Savanna Woods, Raine Stern, Bradley Sinclair, Halley Greg, Savanna Chestnut
S21: Libianca, Xavier Cornell, Raquel Trinidad
S22: Sydney Kronmiller, Lana Love, Valarie Harding, Peyton Aldridge, Emma Brooke, Morgan Taylor

Edited by Ottoxxx
  • Like 2

Starting with S10. 

S10: Emily Keener

S11: Bindi Liebowitz

S12: Anatalia Villaranda

S13: Ilianna Viramontes

S14: Alexa Cappelli

S15: Sarah Grace

S16: Beth Griffith-Manley

S17: Myracle Holloway!!!

S18: Kailey Abel