Nico - 16/20

Victoria - 16/20

Anne - 17/20

Kaley - 17/20

Public - 17/20

QK - 20/20

SOLA

DQZ8.gif

This show is an incredible two season journey of broadway actors competiting for major roles and aiming for tony awards.  Smash has an all-star cast consisting of Debra Messing, Jack Davenport, Christian Borle Anjelica Huston, and brings Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee to the forefront.  Katharine plays Iowa native Karen Cartwright who goes to New York City in hopes of becoming an actress.  Megan plays 10 year chorus girl Ivy Lynn who is the daughter of a famous broadway actress, who wants to break free from the chorus and make a name for herself.  Both girls find themselves up for the role of a lifetime, playing Marilyn Monroe.  One embodies characteristics of Norma Jean, while the other is everything Marilyn had become.  This show pairs great actors with amazing.  The show basically produced music for two fully fleshed out broadway musicals.  You can listen to the track list for both Hit List and Bombshell on itunes.  I am shocked Smash wasn’t cut in the final round, I am elated that it gets to make the final ranks.  It was good working with you Chris to bring Smash this far.  No matter how far it places, I am proud its here!  Hopefully this placing gets some other to watch it.

CHRIS

tumblr_inline_mhsi0r9sOx1qe7mne.gif?resize=450,253

I am incredibly delighted that Smash somehow found its way into the Top 20 - I remember saving it a lot in the beginning, and people suddenly stopped nominating. It truly deserves a place in the Top 20 for being the show that got Games of Thrones cut - yes, Smash did that!  Anyway, it should not be a surprise that I love Smash as I've always been very vocal about my love for musicals and Smash is very much of a musical show which I understand that people don't always love.  

So let's talk about Smash, a bit more; Following the success of Glee on FOX, NBC decided it was their turn to introduce the world to a musical drama – a series created by Theresa Rebeck with the involvement of big name such as Marc Shaiman and Steven Spielberg.  And the show in question is no other than Smash which aired from 2012 until 2013, due to the fact they were done dirty by NBC – after all these years, the show is still beloved by musical fans around the world! 

Overall, I thought Smash was brilliantly done by painting a good portrait of show business & the cast was excellent - they had a good mixtures of Broadway actors and people with connections to it. As well, most of them knew how to SING especially Megan Hilty & Jeremy Jordan. The show gave us a lot of original songs, often composed & written by Marc Shaiman, but we also had some songs by Pasek & Paul prior to them being an household name - I really loved that the show didn't focus the majority of their time on covers. But with that being said, the song did cover some songs which included "Run", "Shake It Out", "I'm Going Down", and a Carrie Underwood's underrated song known as Crazy Dreams. 

Now onto my very detailed write-up; I will be introducing the main characters then giving a quick overview of the seasons - there's some spoilers, and will end it by posting some of my favourite songs of the show.

MAIN CHARACTERS

KAREN CARTWRIGHT

6iYS.gif

Portrayed by Katharine McPhee, Karen Cartwright is one of the main character of the show – she is a struggling actress working as a waitress, which is almost a foreshadowing to Katharine McPhee landing the role of Jenna in Waitress: The Musical. Now back to Karen, she finally gets a chance to appear in a new musical about Marilyn Monroe’s life – the land the role, she must compete against a Broadway veteran who will become her frenemy throughout the series.

IVY LYNN

tumblr_mpk9nhgCQB1stedoso2_500.gifv

Megan Hilty, best known for her work on Broadway in musicals such as Wicked and 9 to 5: The Musical, portrays Ivy Lynn. Who is Ivy Lynn? She is best known to be a Broadway veteran notably due to her appearance in the ensemble of numerous hit shows. However, she is excited that this may be her first major role – she is seen as the favourite to appear in her friends’ newest musical about Marilyn Monroe’s life story. Like her frenemy, Ivy has to deal with the consequences of her actions while hoping that she will land the role of Marilyn Monroe.   

JULIA HOUSTON

tumblr_m6afizJbUI1rpxkru.gif

Portrayed by Debra Messing, Julia Houston is best known for her work with her friend, Tom Levitt. Together, they created Marilyn: The Musical where they end up working with a well-known director and producer. However, the new project brings challenges especially when it comes to her relationship with her husband, Frank (Brian d’Arcy James) with whom she has a son, Leo who is portrayed by Emory Cohen.

TOM LEVITT

uvylqvt.gif

Tom Levitt, portrayed by Christian Borle also known for his work on Broadway, is best known for his partnership with Julia Houston – as mentioned earlier, they are the writer of Marilyn: The Musical, where he is mainly the composer. He is also a close friend of Ivy Lynn who is perfect for the role, in his mind – will he succeed in convincing the others that she is perfect for the role?

DEREK WILLS

tumblr_p3tibodhXK1ro95bto2_500.gifv

Being portrayed by Jack Davenport, Derek Wills is a well-known director – in fact, he is a Tony and Oliver Award-winning director. While he is known for having a strained relationship with Tom, he signed on to director the musical based on the life of an icon known as Marilyn Monroe. Derek is also known for being a diva where he believes that he is the only one in charge – it is fair to say that this led to some conflicts throughout the series. He is also known for being a womanizer which has been showcased in the series, at multiple occasions.

EILEEN RAND

anjelica+huston+smash.gif

Eileen Rand is almost as iconic as Angelica Huston, who portrays her. Eileen Rand is one of the most respected individual in the musical theatre industry due to her involvement on many Broadway shows including Grey Gardens, Olivier!, Cabaret, and Heaven on Earth. Her latest project is, of course, the life story of Marilyn Monroe produced by Houston-Levitt.

JIMMY COLLINS & KYLE BISHOP

tumblr_mpzo6djsIq1srnui5o2_250.gifv 640536a7c2a45c0cf21bdce557a07b5f.gif

Jimmy Collins & Kyle Bishop, portrayed by Jeremy Jordan & Andy Mientus respectively, are first introduced in Season 2 where they played an important part of that season. They are best friends who are attempting to create a new rock musical which sees the light when they meet one of the other characters.

SEASON ONE

tumblr_nntffhIMyt1rhc4evo8_250.gifv tumblr_nntffhIMyt1rhc4evo3_250.gifv tumblr_nntffhIMyt1rhc4evo7_250.gifv

As the series starts, we are immediately introduced to Karen as she is auditioning where she performs “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. However, the audition did not go to plan where the director interrupted her to take a phone call – she did not get the role. She is beyond frustrated that she cannot land any role, which we can notice when she calls her boyfriend, Dev who is super supportive – Karen is thinking about giving up when her parents discussed that they are worry about her future, but Dev is confident that Karen will be a star!

Following Karen’s introduction, we are then introduced to Tom and Julie – two musical composers – who suddenly have an interest in making a musical about Marilyn Monroe’s life, which was suggested by Ellis who is Tom’s assistant. However, is the risk worth it? The team are debating it especially with Julia who is in the process of adopting a child with her husband, Frank – he is certainly not a fan of the idea as Julia was supposed to take a hiatus from working to focus more on her family. 

Following the introduction of Tom & Julia, we are then introduced to Ivy Lynn who is currently starring in Tom’s most recent production, “Heaven on Earth”. As mentioned earlier, Ivy Lynn is still looking for a big break so Tom let her that he may have the perfect role for her – she has everything to be the perfect Marilyn. He convinces her to record a demo song, which she is delighted by the opportunity.

But problem arise when Tom & Julia finds out that Ellis leaked the demo online – Ellis gets fired by Tom as this meant that the musical could be ruined. However, the leakage was the best thing that could happen for the musical – Eileen is fond the project and is ready to back the project, and she suggests Derek as the director & choreographer. With the sudden success of the idea, Ellis is hired by Tom due to the simple fact that it was his idea – Ellis can not be trusted, as we will find throughout the series.

We must now find the perfect Marilyn, so the team decide to move forward with the auditions. The team agrees that Ivy embodies Marilyn when it comes to the mannerism and appearance, but there’s another potential choice to be Marilyn – Karen who surprises the team with her audition where they see embodying Marilyn in a different way than Ivy, but she must embody the sex appeal of Marilyn. In the end, they both receive a callback where Karen is invited by Derek to come over to his apartment – it was clear that he was a womanizer, but she goes and shows that she can be sexy where she gives us a rendition of “Happy Birthday”.

Now to the callback, Ivy and Karen both impress with “Let Me Be Your Star” which is a song from the musical.  The team cannot decide who they should go with – Tom is officially focused on Ivy while Derek think Karen is the one; no decision is made. As the team is undecided, both must perform in front of each other which form a rivalry between the two – Ivy receives the part but Derek & Eileen have a feeling that they must keep their eyes on Karen, as she has some potential.

Throughout the season, each episode focuses on a different part of Marilyn’s life with choreography, original songs and the casting of different character such as Joe DiMaggio who is portrayed by Michael Swift, and he will have an important impact of Julia’s life. And there is lots of tension when it comes to the creative team – Derek & Tom cannot see eye to eye, and Ivy is not too impressed with Karen being part of the ensemble whose rivalry will be portrayed throughout the season. However, Karen & Ivy quickly become a pair to unit against the arrival of a movie star in the musical as it meant that neither of them would be Marilyn.

And this season, we see the impact of show business on relationships & friendships – Tom & Julia realizes that Ellis is not on their side which they are to assume as Ellis wants credit for the musical, Ivy & Derek develops a romantic connection which essentially helped her land the role, and different characters will find that their relationship is getting destroyed with their involvement in the project.  

The season finishes with the musical know as Bombshell moving through Tech & Previews, where it does not go according to plan with the movie star chosen to portray Marilyn Monroe. The team must find an alternative within 12 hours from the opening night of the previews in Boston – the decision made by Derek was not appreciated by many, where different characters tried to pressure him to reverse his decision. Meanwhile, Julia & Tom are struggling with the ending of the musical as they do not want it to be depressing while conveying the tragedy of Marilyn’s death – they managed to come up with an inspirational song known as “Don’t Forget Me” which earn the actress a standing ovation.

SEASON TWO

tumblr_olxhmk4DkU1qfriieo7_250.gifv tumblr_olxhmk4DkU1qfriieo1_250.gifv tumblr_olxhmk4DkU1qfriieo8_250.gifv

The Boston Previews brought a lot of change to the lives of everyone – Karen is now a star, as she was the one chosen as the Marilyn. And everyone in the musical are worried if their contract will be renewed, including Ivy, or if the musical will even find its way onto Broadway due to some financial problem – the musical can only continue to Broadway if Eileen is not involved, and her ex-husband is involved instead. Another issue with the musical is the book, Tom & Julia must modify some aspect – Julia is thinking that she may need to challenge herself to portray Marilyn from a male’s portrayal.

The series capitalize on Derek’s status as a womanizer – his relationship with Rebecca Duval, allegation of sexual harassments,  the sparks he has with Karen, and the romantic connection that he once shared with Ivy; it is clear that Ivy is still interested as we were shown sign of jealousy when she caught Karen and him kiss – this is part of the infamous Ivy vs. Karen feud, often fueled by the men in their lives.

We are then introduced to Jimmy & Kyle who Karen meets at a local bar, where she heard Jimmy play the piano. She quickly finds out that Kyle & Jimmy have written a musical. Kyle is convinced that Karen can help as he saw her in Boston – he is right as Karen is confident that Derek may be interested in the musical. And while Karen is starting to get involved in this musical, she quickly develops a romantic connection which she tries to keep a secret from Derek as she is still technically involved with Derek to the musical.  

Derek made the decision to leave Bombshell to work on Hit List, Jimmy and Kyle’s musical – his departure had a big impact on Bombshell as they had to find a new director and were unable to use his choreography unless he signed off on it.  And Karen made a similar decision after being forced to choose either Bombshell or Hit List, and she chose Hit List – an incredible musical with great songs and choreography.

What about Bombshell now that Karen left? Luckily for the team, Ivy’s most recent project recently closed on Broadway which meant that she is now a free agent – Ivy is now their Marilyn. And she will need to work with her famous mom, Leigh Conroy (Bernadette Peters), who will play Marilyn’s mom – the decision to cast Ivy’s mom created some tension between Ivy and Tom as he knows that Ivy always struggled to not be in her mothers’ shadow.

Both shows are eligible for Tony’s and they will most likely be against each other, however the show comes together when tragedy struck as Broadway is a community.  And now to the Tony awards, Hit List received a total of 13 nominations while Bombshell received 12; Karen and Ivy will face each other off in the Best Actress category… The series ends with the Tony Awards, and some bombshell moments.

THE MUSIC OF SMASH

tumblr_m746e9I2Wx1rb2n1ho1_500.gif

ORIGINAL:

The 20th Century Fox Mambo – Katharine McPhee

A Thousand and One Nights – Katharine McPhee & Raza Jaffrey

Broadway, Here I Come! – The Cast of Smash

Caught in the Storm – Katharine McPhee

Don’t Forget Me – Katharine McPhee

Don’t Let Me Know – Katharine McPhee & Jeremy Jordan

Heat Shaped Wreckage – Katharine McPhee & Jeremy Jordan

I Heard Your Voice In A Dream - Katharine McPhee & Jeremy Jordan

I Can’t Let Go – Jennifer Hudson

I’m Not Sorry – Katharine McPhee

Let Me Be Your Star – Megan Hilty & Katharine McPhee

Let’s Be Bad – Megan Hilty

The Love I Meant To Say - Jeremy Jordan

Mama Makes Three - Jennifer Hudson

Reach For Me – Krysta Rodriguez

Rewrite This Story – Katharine McPhee & Jeremy Jordan

Second Hand White Baby Grand – Megan Hilty

They Just Keep Moving the Line – Megan Hilty

Touch Me – Katharine McPhee

COVER:

Over The Rainbow – Katharine McPhee

Beautiful – Katharine McPhee

Call Me – Katharine McPhee

Crazy Dreams – Megan Hilty

It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World – Katharine McPhee

Who You Are – Megan Hilty

Shake It Out – Katharine McPhee

Breakaway – Megan Hilty

Run – Katharine McPhee

I’m Going Down – Megan Hilty

On Broadway – Katharine McPhee & Jennifer Hudson

Don’t Dream It’s Over – Megan Hilty

Dancing On My Own – Megan Hilty

If I Were A Boy – Krysta Rodriguez

Bittersweet Symphony – Megan Hilty

The Last Goodbye – Andy Mientus

Vienna – Christian Borle

High and Dry – Jeremy Jordan

Under Pressure – The Cast of Smash

ELLIOTT

Smash is a superior Glee-esque show starring gay icon Katharine McPhee as the lead character, who moves to New York in the hopes of starting a Broadway career. How original. I watched the first few episodes because of my loyalty to Katharine McPhee / American Idol, but I quickly lost interest in it. :haha: I'm just ranking it here because of said loyalties, and also because Jess LeProtto was in an episode or two. :wub:

TOM

Sorry Sola, I had to bump SMASH down a couple spots because there are more shows I like in this top 20 than I initially thought. A couple of spots won't make a difference with fifteen rankers. Anyway, I'm not that familiar with SMASH other than a couple of clips I've seen with Katharine McPhee (she does a great version of Dog Days Are Over). SMASH was a television show that aired in 2013, for 2 seasons. It is a show that stars aspiring Broadway stars competing for the role of a lifetime. Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee take center stage as they audition for a musical as Marilyn Monroe. The show takes you through the processes of putting on a Broadway show, including auditions, rehearsals, and off-Broadway performances. They pair it with the a lot of drama and amazing musical numbers. The show had 2 seasons, and plenty of songs you want to listen to over and over. In addition to Megan and Katharine, The rest of the main cast consists of Christian Borle, Jack Davenport, Debra Messing and Angelica Huston.

ALEX

Lmaooooooo the least deserving show in the top 20 :dead:. Maybe I'm reaching, but this show is iconically bad and that's why I wanted to see it make the endgame at a certain point. SMASH making endgame is truly the sh*tshow of an ending this game deserves. Mad Men can't be there, so let's throw in the show that tries to convince us Katharine McPhee deserves the role of Marilyn over Megan Hilty. This is the epitome of so bad it's good tv. It's like a round one cut snuck into the endgame it's absolutely amazing.

Okay let's do positives. The pilot actually is great and got me hooked on the show. Yes it has its moments that are camp to the nth degree, but that's exactly what the show is, a campy delight or a campy mess depending on how many glasses of wine in you are while watching it. "Let Me Be Your Star" is actually a good song and Megan Hilty shows the world why we are desperate for her to have her breakout movie or tv role already. Unfortunately all the relationship drama is awful, so of course the show spends two seasons focusing on that instead of dedicating its time to Debra Messing buying scarfs or Anjelica Huston doing literally anything.

I'm gonna hope Wally skips this writeup because Katharine McPhee is one of the most wooden leads I have ever seen on a tv show. I'm able to suspend disbelief for my tv viewing, but the attempts to convince me that Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee are somehow equals for the role of Marilyn is just far too preposterous for me to take seriously. While the first season leaned more towards enjoyable then cringy, I just hated how the main question was "Who will be Marilyn?" when they made it clear from the start that we should be rooting for McPhee and against Hilty. Both women should've been the leads of the show and had equally heroic and villainous moments. That way it could have been more suspenseful. I think the show had so much potential to actually work, but they went the OTT melodramatic route every second of the way. Pill addiction, love triangles, Ivy sucks and Karen's amazing, etc. There's organic drama there, use it!

The second season was just flatout bad. While season one was "so bad it's good" season two was somehow the odd combination of boring and campy. Like the camp they actually went for was boring camp. Jeremy Jordan's storyline was designed specifically to make the audience suffer. I can't properly #drag season two because I don't remember it well enough at all and I hated it so much. I believe Ivy got her revenge though and she became the star she deserved to be so that's good I guess. But Karen didn't get kicked off Broadway or out of NYC for being a talentless bore so...pros and cons (I'M SORRY KATHARINE MCPHEE I REALLY DID LIKE YOU ON BROADWAY AND YOUR ONE EPISODE OF COMMUNITY, THIS SHOW AND ROLE WAS JUST NOT FOR YOU GIRL)

DENISE

source.gif

I feel like Smash kind of snuck its way into the Top 20 and don't know that anyone expected it here. I know a couple of its bigger fans in this were fine to let it go sooner, so it is very interesting, and I'm curious to see if there are more huge fans of it I don't know about. Anyway, Smash is a musical drama that aired on NBC for two seasons from 2012-2013. I don't know why i thought the title was stylized in all capitals, because it's not when I check Google or Wikipedia.

Smash  is set in New York City and tells the story of a theater community who are working on a new Broadway Musical. I remember seeing previews for this show before it premiered and thought about how it reminded me of Glee, but I never checked it out. I do know that it stars Katharine McPhee, among many other people, so that's cool. I'm not sure if i'll eventually get to watching this someday, since my to-watch list is so huge, but it's nice it's represented in the Top 20.

WALLACE

tumblr_mcaxsz7hat1r97rl6o2_r1_500.gifv

SMASH making it to the Top 20 is one of the biggest pleasant surprises for me. I really like/love the show but it wasn’t a show I was expecting to make it to the finals! Nor was SMASH ever a show I sought out of my way to protect or ask safety for towards any rankers throughout the game. I felt that bigger fans in Chris & Sola had that covered. :giggle:SMASH was a show I was willing and fine with going anywhere at any point once it reached the Top 200 or so. I lost many and much more bigger favorites over it. But when it comes to endgame you do want as many favorites (whether they are minor or major faves) in the finals as possible so I am glad it made it. Now I did originally have SMASH at #8 but with some last minute deals/show placement rankings that came in for me in exchange….. I sadly had to lower SMASH ranking to #12. Not an ideal situation or ranking but I don’t want to upset or break any other deals I mad sooo i’ll just upset myself and other SMASH fans instead. :haha:

SMASH is an American musical drama that was created by Theresa Rebeck. SMASH aired on NBC for 2 seasons with 32 episodes from February 6, 2012 through May 26, 2013. Ugh the show deserved much more than 2 seasons. :/ SMASH tells the story of various characters working in and on Broadway musicals - from the producers to the performers and more - where they have to balance their personal lives with the high demand works of a live Broadway production. SMASH has such a strong cast of stars which includes: Debra Messing, Jack Davenport, Katharine McPhee, Megan Hilty, Christian Brole, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez and more.

The two seasons had very different dynamics and plot lines. The first season revolves around creating the Broadway show of Bombshell - a musical based on Marilyn Monroe. This had Karen Cartwright (played by Katharine McPhee) and Ivy Lynn (played by Megan Hilty) auditioning for the lead role of Marilyn Monroe. The second season focuses on getting Bombshell into Broadway bound and the creation of a new production play called, The Hit List, battling against it.

I will certainly admit the main reason I considered watching and following SMASH is because I am a really big Katharine McPhee fan and have been since her American Idol days. :wub: I was happy for her getting a major breakthrough TV show and def wanted to check it out.

karen+with+bobby.gif

But i would grow to love the show itself. With me loving Katharine that means I would love her character Karen and also….. dislike her rival Ivy for awhile. I got no shame. #TeamKaren :giggle:Although Ivy did grow on me and is immensely talented and i know Ivy was perfect for the Marilyn role

tumblr_mnid4z9SFe1r67p3vo2_250.gifv

I do want to share my favorite songs from SMASH. I will embed my absolute favorites songs which are “The 20th Century Fox Mambo” (my #1 favorite), “Beautiful,” “Let Me Be Your Star,” “Touch Me” (SO HOT) and “A Thousand and One Nights.” 

Yess those songs all featured Karen Cartwright. Other songs I did love included: “Rumour Has It,” “Let’s Be Bad,” “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” “Shake It Out,” “Our Day Will Come,” “Run,” “Smash!,” “Would I Lie To You,” “Rewrite This Story,” “That’s Life,” “Don’t Let Me Know” and “Big Finish.” And probably even more that I can’t completely remember. :haha: Hopefully Chris ends up linking most of the other songs because they are worth checking out.

REI

Smash_Title_Card.jpg

Looking at its Wikipedia page, I see that SMASH only lasted for two seasons. I thought it lasted for much longer but I didn't watch a single episode so my knowledge on it is pretty much non-existent.

tenor.gif?itemid=3367959

SMASH is a drama musical series that aired on NBC from 2012 to 2013 for a total of two seasons and 32 episodes. The show revolves around a fictional New York theatre community and the creation of a new Broadway musical. 

The cast of the show included the likes of:

tumblr_mzk62nFjze1rmltcao1_500.gif

Debra Messing as Julia Houston

tumblr_n19hl6scpu1rkhpyoo1_400.gif

Jack Davenport as Derek Wills

tumblr_mdg1dvmML61qzhda2o1_500.gif

Katherine McPhee as Karen Cartwright

tumblr_p5hou6bVfr1wkd4hoo1_500.gifv

Christian Borle as Tom Levitt

QuestionableVariableAlaskanmalamute-smal

Megan Hilty as Ivy Lynn

tumblr_m2nsdqeV4l1r0ufaco1_400.gifv

Anjelica Houston as Eileen Rand

The show received early critical acclaim, especially for the pilot, but It soon dropped in quality which I guess was one of the reasons for its early cancelation. This show doesn't appeal to me at all so I know I will not ever watch it. If the show would have been on Netflix I could tried to watch the pilot just to give a better write-up, but it was not so I had to resort to Wikipedia for getting knowledge.

Anyway, congrats to all the SMASH fans (Sola, I believe) for helping it to make the 20. I have no idea how high will it rank but I hope is not too high. #15~16 maybe??

NICO

bad

VICTORIA

anigif_enhanced-4078-1433866848-2.gif

I don't know how this show made the finals. So congrats to Chris. Kudos, sir. I would say congrats to Sola but he just seemed like he randomly decided to fight for this show midway and even let Game of Thrones go because of it. I guess I would be thankful because The Walking Dead won the war. THANK YOU, SMASH? Katharine McPhee has two shows in the finals since she was on American Idol. WE STAN. Smash is an American musical drama television series created by playwright Theresa Rebeck and developed by Robert Greenblatt. It aired on NBC for two seasons. Steven Spielberg served as one of the executive producers. The series revolves around a fictional New York City theater community and specifically the creation of a new Broadway musical. It starred the legendary Anjelica Huston so that was a plus. The ensemble cast also included Debra Messing, Jack Davenport, Katharine McPhee, Christian Borle, Megan Hilty. The main plot of the show revolved around Katharine McPhee as Karen Cartwright and Megan Hilty as Ivy Lynn. They fought for the same role in the Broadway show, Bombshell. The show was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy and it had some goodish music too. Big ups to Chris for randomly getting this show into the Top 20.

ANNE

Cute show

KALEY

tumblr_m3rqctGCm11qdeh1mo4_500.gif

I chose to put this one near the bottom of the 20 because it is a show that I tried to watch back when it was airing, and I never really got into it (which is surprising, since I love musicals). SMASH is an American musical drama that aired on NBC for two seasons before its cancellation (2012-2013). The show stars Debra Messing as Julia, who is developing a musical based on Marilyn Monroe’s life along with writing partner Tom (Christian Borle). Along the way they pick up Eileen (Anjelica Houston) as a producer and Derek (Jack Davenport) as a director. The show focuses both on the drama of creating a Broadway show, and the drama the characters bring from their personal lives. Also at the center of everything is the competition between seasoned veteran Ivy (Megan Hilty) and young and charming newcomer Karen (Katharine McPhee) over who will get the lead role. The show has a mix of covers and original songs. Here is one of the most famous original songs to come from the show: “Let Me Be Your Star”.

Here’s  another from the Pilot that showcases the choreography: “National Pastime”.

While the Pilot received a lot of great reviews, reception seemed to get more lukewarm as the series went on. The series did also win an Emmy for Outstanding Choreography for its first season. Once the second season started, it seems like SMASH was the victim of some bad scheduling. It was first placed in a crappy timeslot and was then moved to Saturdays not too far into the season. Ultimately, ratings dipped low enough to warrant cancellation. Overall, the show had a lot of potential but faded quickly.

QK

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_

Just now, Elliott said:

I ranked it closer to Sola than you did, and I get no mention. I see how it is. :/

Did you fight to bring it here? Nah.

How is 7 closer to 2 than 5? 😛 

*skips Alex''s Katharine shade.* 🙂 

:giggle:

Very happy with smash shockingly making it to Top 20. Didn't expect that at all. Ugh had to rank it much lower than  I wanted to and I wasn't too happy about that....but ah well. :( I knew it would take a hit because of that. 

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Wally ranked it 12th!?

Flop Katharine McPhee stan tbh

5 minutes ago, *Chris said:

#BlameWally for its #18 placement

Ugh this was the ranking that hurt me most on my rankings. 😢 Something came up last minute and I didn't want to break any previous ranking deals.... so I had to tank SMASH to not upset other people.

Gah crazy how the two shows I had to drop because of deals showed up at #19 and #18 and got tied though. :haha: 

Just now, *Wallace said:

Ugh this was the ranking that hurt me most on my rankings. 😢 Something came up last minute and I didn't want to break any previous ranking deals.... so I had to tank SMASH to not upset other people.

Gah crazy how the two shows I had to drop because of deals showed up at #19 and #18 and got tied though. :haha: 

It's okay ❤️ :hug:

5 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Yes, and I am just confused as to how you ranked it "closer to Sola than I did" 😕

Sola ranked it at 5. You ranked it at 2. I ranked it at 7.

7 is only two numbers away from 5.

2 is three numbers away from 5.

I don't get the confusion.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

I ranked it #2 though 😮

3 minutes ago, *Chris said:

It's okay ❤️ :hug:

Aww okay. :hug: Believe me I was really sad to make that change in rankings there. :haha: :broken: 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Sola ranked it 2nd and Chris ranked it 5th. 😛 

20 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ooh and dangg incredible write-up of Smash there @*Chris :omg: Hoping to get to read it later on. I knew you would have all the songs covered there! :haha: 

Thanks Wally - you know me so well :giggle:❤️ 

Finally catching up on everything :heartbounce: A little sad that Elite went out first, but I’m very happy that the rankdown introduced me to it because I wound up really liking it! So, that’s a win in my book. 

On 5/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, .Rei said:

Kaley is the only person I like right now 😘

:hug:I’m glad I’m not the only one who ranked it so high! Love your writeup. It’s much more detailed (and aesthetically pleasing :wub:) than mine! Totally agreed on Lu being the best. Love her. I was sad Christian left so early into the 2nd season. Him/Polo/Carla were one of my favorite parts of the first season.

tumblr_pglvq7kDJZ1thf3wjo2_640.gif

This moment :wub::wub: 

Since the first show out was in my top 5, happy to see the next two were from my bottom half. It’s crazy to see how varied the rankings are for this! It’s going to be surprising every step of the way I think.