The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

No, that isn’t it at all. 

Some will lose their jobs. I won’t. How about you? The majority of people are still getting their paychecks, and will for the foreseeable future. But, we’re just going to send everyone (under a specified income level) a check when they can’t spend the money anyway, because they’re stuck in their homes. Those who lose their jobs will file for unemployment benefits. I’m not suggesting there isn’t something that can be done, but this is crazy, IMO. As I said the other day, I get nothing. Do I need it to get by? Honestly, I do not. I’ll be fine.The income levels are 75K for full amounts/95K for partial amounts. What about the family of 6 with a mortgage, car payments, and all those mouths to feed, with an income that barely exceeds that level? They are not living a life of luxury, and are likely living paycheck to paycheck.  The single guy who makes 75K gets the full amount, and probably doesn’t need it. 

I didn't see those figures but even if someone makes 75k If they did lose their job they probably would be in trouble after a couple months of unemployment- unless they have work from home capabilities. 

Seems a little unfair to ask people to go in there 401k or IRA to live

7 minutes ago, sneaky said:

I didn't see those figures but even if someone makes 75k If they did lose their job they probably would be in trouble after a couple months of unemployment- unless they have work from home capabilities. 

Seems a little unfair to ask people to go in there 401k or IRA to live

It’s not just for people who lost their jobs....

A lot of people get paid hourly though, and they won't lose their jobs - their hours will just be cut. Meaning they won't have enough money for rent and utilities. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck - and a cut from unemployment won't cut it either. There is a very real lack of safety net in this country.

And given the way the government screwed this up - they ought to help. 

24 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

A lot of people get paid hourly though, and they won't lose their jobs - their hours will just be cut. Meaning they won't have enough money for rent and utilities. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck - and a cut from unemployment won't cut it either. There is a very real lack of safety net in this country.

And given the way the government screwed this up - they ought to help. 

Most of my pay is commission. This is not a good time, as you can imagine. But, a long time ago, it was drilled into my brain to be well prepared for situations like this. When people need what I sell, it typically goes right to the top of the list, so I’ll be fine. Mostly. But right now, it’s bad, so I get it. 

I already primarily work out of my house, so that part of it is nothing new to me. 

Edited by TeamAudra

This is absolutely the correct thing to do, in my opinion. This isn't as far as I would like, but it's at least a step in the right direction. I understand the hesitation some people may have, but I also understand that doing things like expanding unemployment isn't enough as others have said since there are a lot of companies who aren't, technically, laying their workers off. They're simply cutting their hours and so that group isn't getting paid, yet they can't draw unemployment either. And lets be honest, most people who are in that boat probably aren't leaving an 80k+ a year job where they have some savings to fall back on. They're paycheck to paycheck workers who need help the most in situations like this.

There have been some really good proposals from Sherrod Brown, Bernie, Cory Booker, Maxine Waters, Joe Kennedy, Ro Khanna, and a few others that I think all deserved to be considered as well. Obviously, there can be some form of negotiations between all of them, but some solid legislation has been proposed and I'm hoping Trump and his admin will at least consider doing a bit more (tough ask though).

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Trump had a couple good days during the daily briefings, earlier in the week. Yesterday, and especially today, he came off as a clown. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Trump is such a mean disgusting immature vile evil son of a bitch. 

The reporter he flipped out at today was not only not asking a combative question, but one that most would construe as a softball that most leaders in this situation would want to be asked to score political points. 

Edited by RWG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Trump is such a mean disgusting immature vile evil son of a bitch. 

Trump is a clinical narcissist and they love attention... especially negative attention. It's the same reason he calls it the " Chinese virus ". It riles people up and he loves having that power

• Like 1

Yes, he was embarrassing today. I’m sure that reporter is a schmuck, but Trump needs to do a better job of picking his battles. 

I’m guessing Trumps hotels (and resorts and golf courses) aren’t doing so hot right now. I’m sure he’s stressed out about that too.  I wonder how leveraged his properties are right now? He’s had problems with that in the past. 

Edited by TeamAudra

First of all... ❤️ Chris Murphy

Second..”Public health is not commonly understood as a security issue, but it should be. Pandemic Disease can destabilize regions, undermine economies,  and create fertile territories for political and social unrest.” - Hillary Clinton, 2016.

She had a plan to strengthen our pandemic response team, four years ago.

Vote for people who understand global issues and know what they are doing. 

• Like 1

When Trump stays on script, he’s fine. The problem is he’s not capable of doing that. He likes to constantly interject his thoughts, and does himself no favors with this. I’m guessing his speech writers don’t appreciate when he does that. 

Also.....It’s Dr. Fauci, not “Tony.”  It’s Dr. Brix, not “Deborah.” This drives me crazy. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

When Trump stays on script, he’s fine. The problem is he’s not capable of doing that. He likes to constantly interject his thoughts, and does himself no favors with this. I’m guessing his speech writers don’t appreciate when he does that. 

Also.....It’s Dr. Fauci, not “Tony.”  It’s Dr. Brix, not “Deborah.” This drives me crazy. 

Even considering the above, he had a much better day today than he had the last couple. He didn’t blow up at anyone. 

28 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Even considering the above, he had a much better day today than he had the last couple. He didn’t blow up at anyone. 

It feels like we are talking about a First Grader with behavioral problems. "Timmy ate glue and wouldnt sit still but he didnt bite or fight anyone today"🙃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sneaky said:

It feels like we are talking about a First Grader with behavioral problems. "Timmy ate glue and wouldnt sit still but he didnt bite or fight anyone today"🙃

One day, he’s “fine.” The next, he blows up at a reporter for asking a softball question. Can you imagine working for him? My old boss had a similar personality. He’s also a raging alcoholic, and got fired a few years ago (and multiple DWIs, divorce, etc.) The best way to handle a guy like that is to challenge him on things, and let the chips fall where they may. Otherwise, he won’t respect you. 

53 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

One day, he’s “fine.” The next, he blows up at a reporter for asking a softball question. Can you imagine working for him? My old boss had a similar personality. He’s also a raging alcoholic, and got fired a few years ago (and multiple DWIs, divorce, etc.) The best way to handle a guy like that is to challenge him on things, and let the chips fall where they may. Otherwise, he won’t respect you. 

Yeah problem is because he is now one of the most powerful people in the world anyone who questions him gets the boot. Which is probably better for them if they actually have souls.

15 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Yeah problem is because he is now one of the most powerful people in the world anyone who questions him gets the boot. Which is probably better for them if they actually have souls.

I think the people around him question him all the time. I think he expects it. He’s highly influenced by the opinions of others, but only those he respects (a select group). For example, imagine the working relationship between him and Dr. Fauci, behind the scenes....

9 hours ago, Shireen said:

Not an Andrew Cuomo fan but he honestly had the most insightful, realistic, and at the same time optimistic press conferences about Covid-19 I've seen so far.

I agree about Cuomo. I'm experiencing the same thing, where I didn't vote for my province's premier and certainly don't like him politically or even as a person, but he hasn't politicized this and his press conferences are just him urging that people do the things public health experts are advising. You have to give credit where due. 

16 hours ago, Shireen said:

Not an Andrew Cuomo fan but he honestly had the most insightful, realistic, and at the same time optimistic press conferences about Covid-19 I've seen so far.

I've been reading up on him and he should've ran if the Democratic party insists on running establishment. No problems with his record from what I've seen. Maybe 2024 though admittingly at that time he would be the tail end of how old I prefer a president to be.