The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

4 hours ago, sneaky said:

I've been reading up on him and he should've ran if the Democratic party insists on running establishment. No problems with his record from what I've seen. Maybe 2024 though admittingly at that time he would be the tail end of how old I prefer a president to be.

If they held a do-over of the Dem primaries, right now....Cuomo against sleepy Joe Biden, I think Cuomo would win. We live in a very media driven world, and Cuomo is very good on TV. 

He could also go into acting, and play a mob boss. 

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

Crazy times., interesing commentary. Trump more progressive than Obama and Biden??

LMAO. 

Trump isn't anything politically, outside of an isolationist. (Which, Sanders and Warren are to an extent)

Also, fun fact..you wanna know what would be helpful in getting supplies right now..the TPP. 

41 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

LMAO. 

Trump isn't anything politically, outside of an isolationist. (Which, Sanders and Warren are to an extent)

Also, fun fact..you wanna know what would be helpful in getting supplies right now..the TPP. 

Well he isnt delivering terribly during this crisis. I think his approval rating is over 50% now in this crisis. He shouldnt have called it a hoax but Germany and Spain have a much smaller population than us but almost as many deaths. Are there leaders as bad as Trump? In hindsight Im not sure why Obama couldnt have offered UBI to all the people laid off  because of the Bush Admin policies.

Isolationist isnt always bad. Economically speaking we have the ability to do pretty much anything here.California is the world sixth largest economy in and of itself. And though Im not generally against immigration at all we dont neccesarily have to be this "shining beacon on a hill" anymore. Not that we ever really were in the first place. Countries like Australia, Japan,  and Switzerland are not as globalist as us but they are generally good people just the same.

Edited by sneaky
add content

We’re all being preached to about social distancing, and working from home, yet Senators have to be present to cast votes. They need to change that, at least temporarily. 

They’re hypocritical, in some ways, but that’s a different subject. 

Rand Paul is an Ophthalmologist. He should know better. Especially given that he’s in a higher risk group. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Well he isnt delivering terribly during this crisis. I think his approval rating is over 50% now in this crisis. He shouldnt have called it a hoax but Germany and Spain have a much smaller population than us but almost as many deaths. Are there leaders as bad as Trump? In hindsight Im not sure why Obama couldnt have offered UBI to all the people laid off  because of the Bush Admin policies.

Isolationist isnt always bad. Economically speaking we have the ability to do pretty much anything here.California is the world sixth largest economy in and of itself. And though Im not generally against immigration at all we dont neccesarily have to be this "shining beacon on a hill" anymore. Not that we ever really were in the first place. Countries like Australia, Japan,  and Switzerland are not as globalist as us but they are generally good people just the same.

He's been criminally reckless. 

He's known since January. 

He could have been preparing. He could have been making sure we had enough tests (as Obama did with  H1N1, and Ebola). He could have been making sure hospitals had a significant increase in ventilators and other medical supplies needed. He could have sent US doctors to China. (Let's not forget he destroyed the Pandemic team.). He could have been using FEMA and other National Crisis tools to work preventably. 

Instead, he called it a Democratic hoax because he didn't want to hurt the stock market. (Lol). 

Currently, he is forcing states to fend for themselves. Which causes states to COMPETE against each other for medical supplies - and is not planning on providing any federal funds for this. He has not ordered companies to make more critical supplies (nor has he regulated the price, so supplies currently cost quadruple what they normally cost) 

And everything out of his mouth is dangerous and a lie. No, the Malaria drug is not ready for use for Corona. That was reckless. It has led to shortages - so people who actually need that drug, can't get it. No, he hasn't invoked the Defense Production Act. No google isn't ready to help identify test centers. No, we don't have enough tests. 

You ever see this reaction to a virus before? That is how bad he is doing. 

You can't compare Italy and the rest Europe to the US. First off, they are much more densely populated. Once a country and Europe got it, the rest of the continent was screwed. This is the reason New York, Mass, CT, and New Jersey are all working together. If they don't, then citizens of other states will just re-infect areas. 

There isn't a moral implication to isolationist. It's just not reasonable in this day and age. We have a global economy. If we don't participate, we'll get left behind. Advocating for Isolationism shows a lack of comprehension of economics, not morality. 

Also, cute how instead of doing his actual job, and legislating. (He missed a crucial vote today), Sanders is planning his virtual rally. Who does that sound like? 

Meanwhile, I’ll be operating under a company directive to wear rubber gloves, shoe covers, and possibly a mask when meeting face to face with customers, for the foreseeable future. As I said, when people need what I sell, they need it now. There’s no staying home for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

We’re all being preached to about social distancing, and working from home, yet Senators have to be present to cast votes. They need to change that, at least temporarily. 

They’re hypocritical, in some ways, but that’s a different subject. 

Rand Paul is an Ophthalmologist. He should know better. Especially given that he’s in a higher risk group. 

Once one got it, it was going to go through the whole group. Most senators are in the high risk category too. 

I'm not sure why they were behaving that way. Corona doesn't care how powerful you are..

Also, of note. It appears that the Staples Center seems to be the epicenter for celebrities and athletes getting Corona. Wondering if Bryant's memorial was the main spread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

Trump is getting the same rally around the flag bump all leaders are getting. Any suggestion he has done a done a good job handling the coronavirus is just insane.

Frankly, all world leaders should objectively get an F based on how late they all were to address it. But Trump and Boris Johnson are the two whose words and actions have actually made it worse than it needed to be.

9 minutes ago, RWG said:

Trump is getting the same rally around the flag bump all leaders are getting. Any suggestion he has done a done a good job handling the coronavirus is just insane.

Frankly, all world leaders should objectively get an F based on how late they all were to address it. But Trump and Boris Johnson are the two whose words and actions have actually made it worse than it needed to be.

England, Germany, and the United States are also usually the leaders in a Crisis. To not have the USA and UK doing the right thing was going to harm the rest of the world. 

40 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

He's been criminally reckless. 

He's known since January. 

He could have been preparing. He could have been making sure we had enough tests (as Obama did with  H1N1, and Ebola). He could have been making sure hospitals had a significant increase in ventilators and other medical supplies needed. He could have sent US doctors to China. (Let's not forget he destroyed the Pandemic team.). He could have been using FEMA and other National Crisis tools to work preventably. 

Instead, he called it a Democratic hoax because he didn't want to hurt the stock market. (Lol). 

Currently, he is forcing states to fend for themselves. Which causes states to COMPETE against each other for medical supplies - and is not planning on providing any federal funds for this. He has not ordered companies to make more critical supplies (nor has he regulated the price, so supplies currently cost quadruple what they normally cost) 

And everything out of his mouth is dangerous and a lie. No, the Malaria drug is not ready for use for Corona. That was reckless. It has led to shortages - so people who actually need that drug, can't get it. No, he hasn't invoked the Defense Production Act. No google isn't ready to help identify test centers. No, we don't have enough tests. 

You ever see this reaction to a virus before? That is how bad he is doing. 

You can't compare Italy and the rest Europe to the US. First off, they are much more densely populated. Once a country and Europe got it, the rest of the continent was screwed. This is the reason New York, Mass, CT, and New Jersey are all working together. If they don't, then citizens of other states will just re-infect areas. 

There isn't a moral implication to isolationist. It's just not reasonable in this day and age. We have a global economy. If we don't participate, we'll get left behind. Advocating for Isolationism shows a lack of comprehension of economics, not morality. 

Also, cute how instead of doing his actual job, and legislating. (He missed a crucial vote today), Sanders is planning his virtual rally. Who does that sound like? 

Well ok some of those are good points. But  the reason we dont have enough tests is because we are the only country on earth that has decided to make healthcare an all out capitalistic venture. Only the rich have access to the tests and that is not cause of Trump. Even crazy right wing hack Meghan McCain is bashing our healthcare system over this.

I dont blame Bernie. The stimulus vote lost by far more than one vote and he knew that would have happened. In fact he's been pretty noble in not hammering the Democratic party with how blatantly they have conspired against them. The Democrats act like a sequal of "Mean Girls". Plus Bernie still has a mathematcial chance to take the delegate lead or stop Biden from earning 1900.  I dont believe he would win the most delegates but if Tulsi is allowed to stay in the race until a couple days ago with 2 delegates then Bernie is.

Looks like Tulsi also kinda went back to her culty roots.

Our healthcare system is definitely broke. (Note, Sanders is not the modern politician who pointed this out in modern politics. That belongs to Clinton). However, medicare for all is not the only answer to universal healthcare.

Our consistent deregulation of our economy has significantly hurt young people. Frustration and anger at the current system is completely valid. However, refusing to look at polices, records, and accomplishments and voting based on memes does nothing. You want this system to stop? Pay attention to the people who actually have political accomplishments and progress. That's Pelosi, Obama, and the Clintons. It isn't the Justice Democrats. 

And it is also not the reason for our lack of tests. Remember, Trump refused tests from WHO. Again, he could be using his emergency powers to get more tests.

Bernie is not technically mathematically eliminated, but he's done. He would have to blow Biden out the rest of the way, and he still might not do it. Bernie literally uses the DNC for his own gain, wrote half the rules for the primary, had an ungodly amount of money, and has been campaigning for five years. His loss is on him. And it isn't because the DNC hates him (they do - for good reason), but because he, once again, failed to convince voters. 

I said it in 2016, and I said it earlier in this thread. He struggles mightily with minority voters (again, for good reason). This would prevent him from the nomination. 

Edited by mercfan3

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/bloomberg-campaign-layoffs-coronavirus-139362

He would have made a great president and I worked the greatest field team ever. That said, now like many others, I'm laid off and am having a real problem finding work. Had I known I was going to laid off in March and not kept on until November, I wouldn't have accepted the position and remained where I was at the biggest telecommunications company in the country. Thanks Mike! Not. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/bloomberg-campaign-layoffs-coronavirus-139362

He would have made a great president and I worked the greatest field team ever. That said, now like many others, I'm laid off and am having a real problem finding work. Had I known I was going to laid off in March and not kept on until November, I wouldn't have accepted the position and remained where I was at the biggest telecommunications company in the country. Thanks Mike! Not. 

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the layoff. Good luck in your search. There are industries that are thriving during this time. Amazon is hiring 100K people, nationwide, for example.  

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the layoff. Good luck in your search. There are industries that are thriving during this time. Amazon is hiring 100K people, nationwide, for example.  

Thanks so much. Yeah, I've heard that. Even a local grocery store. Though, after spending tens of thousands on a degree and taking on more expenses since an apartment move, it's kind of a heavy lift. I've reapplied to things in the medical field since my license is still good for another year. 

29 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Sorry about that Drew. :(

That's a dick move on Bloomberg's part. He could have afford to paid you all like he promised. 

Thanks so much! I had different offers to work on various campaigns and I understand by their very nature, it's a risk and temporary work. But how else are to gain a skillset and advance? You begin in the field, do that a handful of times and then you'll be able to be say, a Regional Organizing Director next time instead of a Field Organizer. But I'm also 31 years old, my rent is almost $1500/month without utilities and I need to be able to actually pay my bills. It's getting to be one of those things where I might need to be realistic and find a way to put my degree to work for me in a meaningful way. I don't know. #alittleofftopic 

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

This was posted today, Bloomberg is facing a lawsuit by two former employees. Good! 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/mike-bloomberg-aides-pay-lawsuits-144185

Serves him right. Not sure if it'll amount to anything as the guy is insanely powerful and can, obviously, afford the best lawyers in the world if it were to ever go to trial. However, regardless, what a shitty thing to do to your campaign staff. Especially since it would cost much less to give your staffers payments up until the election in November than it cost for him to run for President for 2 minutes and basically lighting 500 million dollars on fire.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Smoochy said:

Serves him right. Not sure if it'll amount to anything as the guy is insanely powerful and can, obviously, afford the best lawyers in the world if it were to ever go to trial. However, regardless, what a shitty thing to do to your campaign staff. Especially since it would cost much less to give your staffers payments up until the election in November than it cost for him to run for President for 2 minutes and basically lighting 500 million dollars on fire.

We worked twelve hour shifts with no day off for two months straight, so you'd think we'd be treated better than this. 

They basically said "yeah that's just how campaigns go. You never know when they're going to end abruptly. Thanks for all your hard work, and if you want to keep the job that you were promised, you're going to have to apply for it and compete with others through the DNC application. Oh, plus you won't get nearly as much money for it. Even if you make it, that is"

15 minutes ago, Smoochy said:

It's such a rich and powerful dude move. 

Being boastful about how great they are going to be, so they get the publicity..and then quietly not doing as promised.