Question for members about the Forums

Rate this topic

What do you think?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If the Board started fresh would you still post here

• Yes
    • No

If the board had to reboot with an Upgrade would it be worth it to you to start fresh with just the forums that are popular

or would you rather the board just be let go?

assuming members accounts would be still in tact

I hate even asking IPB Image

If the board had to reboot with an Upgrade would it be worth it to you to start fresh with just the forums that are popular

or would you rather the board just be let go?

assuming members accounts would be still in tact

I hate even asking IPB Image

If the choice is between a new board or no board at all, I vote yes to a new board.

Ideally, a new board that would include the latest backup available for the still very active forums.

If the board comes back I think it would be with new upgrades that are mobile friendly, I use a PC but I know a lot may post with phones and other devices :unsure:

I would hate to see it just be lost forever :(

I will, though I'm just a new member here, my opinion doesn't really matter since I don't have that much of attachment yet.

----

I feel for you guys who have spent years investing in this board, another forum that I joined for years was closed last August, and believe me, it is better to restart again than to have nothing at all :'(

I will, though I'm just a new member here, my opinion doesn't really matter since I don't have that much of attachment yet.

----

I feel for you guys who have spent years investing in this board, another forum that I joined for years was closed last August, and believe me, it is better to restart again than to have nothing at all :'(

:hug:

I have been a member of IDF since 2009. 10 YEARS.

I would be lost without a place to discuss American Idol besides the obvious social media. :'(

Hoping for the best! <3

:o

I Joined: May 4, 2003

remembering the last time the board was down for like a month I still came here every day looking for the board, so I don't want that feeling again like it's all lost forever. If it's all new, at least people who have made friends on here can still post together, make Fan threads, game threads etc.

I’d still post but hopefully it’s able to be restored one way or another. Maybe wait for a few days and see what the admins say? And then reboot if necessary. It stinks that the board could be lost info but I guess a new bird is better than no board

Would that update be happening immediately or in between seasons/like after S17 ends?

I imagine there's a ton of stuff that people would want to work to save/copy and I'd imagine you'd need at least a week for people to have enough time to reasonably save what they want or need throughout old threads.

Of course, IDF is more than just The Voice but since it's the forum I'm most active on, I'm only thinking in regards to the schedule of that show, but I think updating the forum in between seasons/when it's pretty much dead is a good solution? Or would the update have to be immediate?

Regarding the poll, y'all can take the forum from the man but you can't pull the man away from the forum - if that makes sense? :haha:

I’d still post but hopefully it’s able to be restored one way or another. Maybe wait for a few days and see what the admins say? And then reboot if necessary. It stinks that the board could be lost info but I guess a new bird is better than no board

I already talked with tom, that's why I made this poll, it's not looking good for restoring info

the best thing to do is for members to save whatever can be gotten from the cache viewer site, and then repost it on the clean board.

they will post an announcement or let us know before it gets a clean reboot if that happens.

I already talked with tom, that's why I made this poll, it's not looking good for restoring info

the best thing to do is for members to save whatever can be gotten from the cache viewer site, and then repost it on the clean board.

they will post an announcement or let us know before it gets a clean reboot if that happens.

Istersay -- Would you send me a PM explaining how to 'save' from the 'cache viewer' site? Thanks much!

Honestly I think forums are a thing of the past with all the more current platforms we have now to communicate. For instance I know where everyone is I talk to here on Twitter, and often discuss the performances from The Voice in those group chats.

The only reason I stuck around here was for the Idol Games section, but with all its memories and data inaccessible, I wouldn't want to start all over. So I probably wouldn't rejoin a new IDF, but I'll definitely cherish the memories here. It's been a ride.

Honestly I think forums are a thing of the past with all the more current platforms we have now to communicate. For instance I know where everyone is I talk to here on Twitter, and often discuss the performances from The Voice in those group chats.

The only reason I stuck around here was for the Idol Games section, but with all its memories and data inaccessible, I wouldn't want to start all over. So I probably wouldn't rejoin a new IDF, but I'll definitely cherish the memories here. It's been a ride.

You're not wrong... Sadly us oldfarts love the way it USED to be... :P

I miss going on IDF everyday for AI chats and news! :'(

Been here since The Voice S5 and have posted an inordinate amount of times on the Voice forums, but honestly I don't mind a complete rehaul of the site, if it means we're gonna have better overall functionality in the end.

I do suggest making a stickied post advising people on how to retrieve caches of the old forums on the new site in clearer detail for us old fuddie-duddies. :bleh: I am assuming the cache will still work even if the whole site gets updated?

will the things posted here the past few days be transferred over to a new site ?

Every post from 2003 to 2019 is really lost forever? They aren’t backed up somehow? :ermm:

there is a backup, but it's not working to restore it.

something like this probably happened

So....I'm guessing the mysql database bumped into a hardware or software imposed size limitation and crashed. Restoring it from a backup will not help unless the limit is modified to a higher capacity. That makes me think it's the very old (2006) IPB software that's the issue. I know for a fact the older IPB datbases can be converted to the newer IPB versions because I've done it on a sports forum I used to run. It is a major PITA though....and I had very competent assistance from a professional DBA forum member. Fact is a site with this much data is a time and resource consuming beast. I totally get the allure and the tragedy of starting fresh.

will the things posted here the past few days be transferred over to a new site ?

I'm not sure, I'll ask Tom when he gets back to me, maybe Buzz can save that because he said the Membership would be migrated over, that's one good thing

If that's the case, is it a question of money that would be needed to get it restored by some sort of professionals? How much would it cost? I'm willing to bet a lot of members would be willing to chip in, if it means saving all the history and memories.

Edited by Idol Maniac

If that's the case, is it a question of money that would be needed to get it restored by some sort of professionals? How much would it cost? I'm willing to bet a lot of members would be willing to chip in, if it means saving all the history and memories.

(!) This! I would be willing to contribute, or would at least like more info about the cache save option. I would mainly want to save some old fan threads. :'( <3

I joined on the night Vonzell was eliminated from Season 4, May 19th 2005. I can't believe it's been this long, but I'm so thankful to have met so many people here. I miss how active it used to be.

I don’t really use twitter...besides can’t you save it on the cache like istersay said.