Katy Perry replacement

Mathacoo200315

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, m1key said:

bumping this after the news yesterday that apparently multiple conversations are being had with "high profile" stars. 

i feel like people (including myself) forget how huge Katy was when the show signed her on in May 2017. for context, this was only a month after her haircut and a month before she released Witness. she wasn't a flop yet! she was still one of the top artists in the world. 

she was also far from being Minivan friendly so that is something to take note off. though i also understand the show is in a different place now. 

so yes, i am going to keep my expectations high! not sure where my predictions stand now but i'm sure we will start getting some rumours over the summer months 👀 

Lol let's not rewrite history. Katy had pretty much fallen off by this point. The last full length album she released before she was announced as a judge was in 2013. She released Rise and Chained to the Rhythm which both underperformed compared to her earlier singles and then Bon Appetit which pretty much flopped. Top artists in the world would not be entertaining a show like Idol.

Edited by joe14
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Lol let's not rewrite history. Katy had pretty much fallen off by this point. The last full length album she released before she was announced as a judge was in 2013. She released Rise and Chained to the Rhythm which both underperformed compared to her earlier singles and then Bon Appetit which pretty much flopped. Top artists in the world would not be entertaining a show like Idol.

nah. katy was completely HUGE when she signed the deal for idol. her last album prior to it was PRISM (which generated two smash hits certified diamond in roar and dark horse) and she was coming off of the most watched superbowl halftime performance in history. there was a huge antecipation for her comeback in 2017. chained to the rhythm underperforming (it was still a top 5 hit) wasn't enough to taint her brand/marketing value when she signed that contract (which explains why it was so expensive). at the time, she was still probably one of the 5 most popular female artists in the world. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 4

On 4/24/2024 at 1:22 AM, wgm said:

If possible, Taylor Swift other than that i would like Kacey Musgraves, Kelsea Ballerini

🤮

Anyway...

I really think they need an Idol alumni. It's been enough time with all dem famous stars.

Give me Melinda, or David Archie, or idk KELLY OR CARRIE OR in a way off world Jordin Sparks.

I'm sick of the Voice/talent show rejects auditioning for the show and The Voice getting all these high profile stars to judge/mentor and Idol in the beginning of the ABC era chose to not acknowledge their past contestants except the usual.

I will only refuse one Idol alumni and that's Adam Lambert.

Boy's had enough good press and shiz. He doesn't need to be a judge. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildestinvegas said:

nah. katy was completely HUGE when she signed the deal for idol. her last album prior to it was PRISM (which generated two smash hits certified diamond in roar and dark horse) and she was coming off of the most watched superbowl halftime performance in history. there was a huge antecipation for her comeback in 2017. chained to the rhythm underperforming wasn't enough to taint her brand/marketing value at the time that she signed that contract (which explains why it was so expensive). 

yeah i was just typing up a response that basically said all of this lol.

i also feel like a lot of stans undermine Witness's impact just because it was a big fall compared to Teenage Dream and Prism. Chained to the Rhythym was a Top 5 hit, Bon Appetit has 1.3B views on YouTube, and Swish Swish also had an iconic music video that got people talking because of the Taylor beef. 

it's a flop era compared to her past work, but many of today's pop girls would wish for these stats in their flop eras tbh.

• Like 2

Since ratings have went down since Katy signed i bet they sign someone who costs a lot less then her to be the head attraction judge. It is not Katys fault about the ratings it is the powers to be who will not let the judges give harsh comments. And the show has went from singing to see who can belt a high note and hold it like a million others around the country can. So they will go the cheap way as Katy made a lot of Money and so did Jlo before her. There is not going to be another Jlo Katy type the show just does not want to pay cause most winners anymore are forgotten in a week or 2.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

something i just considered is that they could also use Katy's budget to get two solid B/C list female stars as opposed to a singular A lister/high B lister. one who is Gen Z/millenial, and another who is Gen X or older (similar to Nicki and Mariah in S12). might be easier

also People posted this article about Jelly Roll: Jelly Roll Jokes He's 'Accepted the Job' to Replace Katy Perry on American Idol — but 'They Haven't Offered It'. would love to have seen him replace Luke, but he is touring all throughout September and October which means he is out unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, m1key said:

something i just considered is that they could also use Katy's budget to get two solid B/C list female stars as opposed to a singular A lister/high B lister. one who is Gen Z/millenial, and another who is Gen X or older (similar to Nicki and Mariah in S12). might be easier

also People posted this article about Jelly Roll: Jelly Roll Jokes He's 'Accepted the Job' to Replace Katy Perry on American Idol — but 'They Haven't Offered It'. would love to have seen him replace Luke, but he is touring all throughout September and October which means he is out unfortunately. 

4 judges are too much as seen with Season 8, 9 (running overtime 'cause Warwick was a buffoon), and 12, which had a lot of issues. We do not need another Nicki/Mariah situation.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Idol is outperforming The Voice in the ratings right now, so I don’t think they’ll be afraid to throw some money at a high-profile judge. Not to the tune of $25mil obviously, but I can see them offering the job to Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, Ariana (she’d fit better on this show than The Voice.) I’m hoping for Lady Gaga myself but we’ll see. I don’t think it’s gonna be some total has-been like Jewel or something lol. 

Edited by Carrie_On
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

Idol is outperforming The Voice in the ratings right now, so I don’t think they’ll be afraid to throw some money at a high-profile judge. Not to the tune of $25mil obviously, but I can see them offering the job to Miley Cyrus, Dua Lipa, Ariana (she’d fit better on this show than The Voice.) I’m hoping for Lady Gaga myself but we’ll see. I don’t think it’s gonna be some total has-been like Jewel or something lol. 

I don't think Miley will take the job when she just won a Grammy. I'd say she is currently at a career high right now, which lessens the chance of her doing Idol.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

nah. katy was completely HUGE when she signed the deal for idol. her last album prior to it was PRISM (which generated two smash hits certified diamond in roar and dark horse) and she was coming off of the most watched superbowl halftime performance in history. there was a huge antecipation for her comeback in 2017. chained to the rhythm underperforming (it was still a top 5 hit) wasn't enough to taint her brand/marketing value when she signed that contract (which explains why it was so expensive). at the time, she was still probably one of the 5 most popular female artists in the world. 

A top 5 hit that had no longevity so definitely an underperformance for her. Her popularity was not translating to actually sales in 2017 and her career has never really recovered since then. I'm just saying Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and Adele are at much bigger and better place in there career compared to Katy Perry in 2017 so using her signing as an example or supporting evidence doesn't really make sense tbh.  It's kind of delusional to think that any of those people would join the show. 🥴 Add in the fact that the popularity, novelty, and ratings for Idol has decreased overtime. Idol was for all intents and purposes a new show back in 2017.

Edited by joe14
  • Like 3

They could eliminate the judges from the show's format entirely for all I care. It honestly doesn't add much to modern Idol.

Whomever the replacement is, I hope it's not some big starlet for the sake of having one on the panel. All of these shows have tried doing that for over a decade now, with the idea being that it will get more eyes on the product, but I'm not entirely sure how well that's worked in execution.

I'll miss Katy, though. She was definitely the best judge of her trio.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 1

Who knows how true it is, but I saw on RadarOnline that Luke and Lionel are feuding about who should replace Katy. Apparently Lionel is pressuring the show to hire someone he’s close with, while Luke thinks someone else would be better for the role. Could be all made up but just thought I’d share. 

Also saw a report that said Jon Bon Jovi is a top pick for the new judge, but he’s asking for $25mil. I don’t see this happening at all unless they add a fourth judge to include a female. 

• Haha 3