Hailey Mia - “She’s All I Wanna Be” by Tate McRae

Jack Blocker (with guitar) - “Rainbow” by Kacey Musgraves

Jayna Elise Brown - “Confident” by Demi Lovato

Jennifer Jeffries (with guitar) - “Bruises” by Lewis Capaldi

Jordan Anthony - “Titanium” by David Guetta & Sia

Julia Gagnon - “Rumour Has It” by Adele

K.B. Richins - “Heaven” by Bryan Adams

K-Blocks - “Harleys In Hawaii” by Katy Perry

Kayko (with keyboard) - “How To Live Without You” (original song)

Kennedy Reid - “Fancy” by Bobbie Gentry/Reba McEntire

Mackenzie Sol - “Jealous” by Nick Jonas

McKenna Breinholt (with guitar) - “The Story” by Brandi Carlile

Mia Makana Matthews - “Daddy’s Hands” by Holly Dunn

Nyachomba “Nya” Muchai-Kinya - “(Simply) The Best” by Bonnie Tyler/Tina Turner

Odell Bunton, Jr. - “Uptown Funk!” by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars

Quintavious Johnson - “Something In The Water” by Carrie Underwood

Roman Collins - “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” by Marvin Gaye/James Taylor

Triston Harper (with guitar) - “God’s Country” by Blake Shelton

Will Moseley (with guitar) - “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” by Otis Redding

Edited by Idol Maniac

Obsessed with Abi's song choice. I just know she's going to kill it! I'm also very optimistic for Jack and McKenna's performances. 

Elleigh wins most chaotic song choice and it's giving bus unfortunately. Though I do predict it could be a guilty pleasure performance of mine when it airs 💀 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Idol Maniac said:

http://www.theidolpad.com/2024/02/ai22-semi-finals-top-24-song-choices.html

20 of 25

Launched Thursday, February 8th

Last Updated Thursday, February 8th

Abi Carter - “Wherever You Would Call Me” by Zaini

Ajii - “Higher” by Tems

Blake Proehl - “Anyone” by Justin Bieber

Cate Gartner - T.B.D.

Elleigh Francom - “Forget You!” by Cee-Lo Green

Emmy Russell - T.B.D.

Hailey Mia - “She’s All I Wanna Be” by Tate McRae

Jack Blocker (with guitar) - “Rainbow” by Kacey Musgraves

Jayna Elise Brown - “Confident” by Demi Lovato

Jennifer Jeffries - T.B.D.

Jordan Anthony - “Titanium” by David Guetta & Sia

Julia Gagnon - “Rumour Has It” by Adele

K.B. Richins - “Heaven” by Bryan Adams

K-Blocks - “Harleys In Hawaii” by Katy Perry

Kayko - T.B.D.

Kennedy Reid - “Fancy” by Bobbie Gentry/Reba McEntire

Mackenzie Sol - “Jealous” by Nick Jonas

McKenna Breinholt (with guitar) - “The Story” by Brandi Carline

Mia Makana Matthews - “Daddy’s Hands” by Holly Dunn

Nyachomba “Nya” Muchai-Kinya - “(Simply) The Best” by Bonnie Tyler/Tina Turner

Odell Bunton, Jr. - “Uptown Funk!” by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars

Quintavious Johnson - “Something In The Water” by Carrie Underwood

Roman Collins - “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” by Marvin Gaye/James Taylor

Triston Harper - T.B.D.

Will Moseley (with guitar) - “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” by Otis Redding

Some thoughts and questions:

1.  At least Nya didn't choose Whitney, Celine, Mariah or Carrie but how good a song choice is "(Simply) The Best"?

2.  Why did Quintavious ever do a Carrie song?  He's a male singer but I'd avoid Carrie Underwood songs like the plague.

3.  I like Roman's song choice.  While I probably won't vote for him (wrong gender), I'll at least enjoy his performance.

4.  Will also had a nice song choice.  I just hope the performance isn't too sleepy.

Random thoughts. 

I’m glad Will isn’t singing the song originally speculated, but  “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” by Otis Redding might be one of the most overdone songs in the history of singing. 

There are a few obscure songs. Abi’s tops that list, but I can see her impressing with it anyway.  I’ve never heard of Benson Boone until 5 minutes ago, and I’m listing to the song right now. 

I agree, stay away from Carrie songs. I feel the same way about Kacey songs. 

Hailey’s has already been discussed, but I’m sure she killed it, and had fun doing it. She’s just going to sing what she wants, as long as they let her, since those types of songs (mostly) got her to The Voice finale. 

She's All I Wanna Be is not a good song choice for pretty much any contestant, since it's so fast-paced. On The Voice, Hailey was good on ballads but struggled on her upbeat song in the finale. Nonetheless, it's been 1-2 years, so I'm sure she's improved and this performance being pre-recorded will certainly help. 

Also, I think, of all weeks to sing an upbeat song, Hawaii week (assuming this is indeed in Hawaii) is one of the best since the preference seems to lean toward upbeats for Hawaii anyway.

2 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

She's All I Wanna Be is not a good song choice for pretty much any contestant, since it's so fast-paced. On The Voice, Hailey was good on ballads but struggled on her upbeat song in the finale. Nonetheless, it's been 1-2 years, so I'm sure she's improved and this performance being pre-recorded will certainly help. 

Also, I think, of all weeks to sing an upbeat song, Hawaii week (assuming this is indeed in Hawaii) is one of the best since the preference seems to lean toward upbeats for Hawaii anyway.

They are definitely in Hawaii. And yeah Hawaii isn't the worst time to get the shit songs out of the way.

4 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Yeah, but part of her rehearsal leaked the other day on someone’s IG story and she sounded good. She has a recorded cover of the song from a couple years ago. That one is a slowed down version, but she obviously knows the song well. Definitely a good time to get this one out of the way, though. 

8 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Hailey already had this cover from this song, she does a slower version 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Random thoughts. 

I’m glad Will isn’t singing the song originally speculated, but  “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” by Otis Redding might be one of the most overdone songs in the history of singing. 

There are a few obscure songs. Abi’s tops that list, but I can see her impressing with it anyway.  I’ve never heard of Benson Boone until 5 minutes ago, and I’m listing to the song right now. 

I agree, stay away from Carrie songs. I feel the same way about Kacey songs. 

Hailey’s has already been discussed, but I’m sure she killed it, and had fun doing it. She’s just going to sing what she wants, as long as they let her, since those types of songs (mostly) got her to The Voice finale. 

You may have a point about "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" being overdone, although I do like the song.

Maybe you can explain why someone should stay away from Kacey songs, as I'm not as familiar with her music as with Carrie's (for obvious reasons).

As for Hailey, this is probably a good time for her to do an up-tempo song, since she's probably going to get into the Top 20 anyway, but if she does a slowed-down version of it (like mid-tempo) it might help her even more.

15 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Gabby Asta slayed it on The Voice Australia last year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

You may have a point about "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" being overdone, although I do like the song.

Maybe you can explain why someone should stay away from Kacey songs, as I'm not as familiar with her music as with Carrie's (for obvious reasons).

As for Hailey, this is probably a good time for her to do an up-tempo song, since she's probably going to get into the Top 20 anyway, but if she does a slowed-down version of it (like mid-tempo) it might help her even more.

Because Kacey has a very unique style. She may not be a vocal powerhouse, but her songs are surprisingly difficult to pull off. Additionally, Kacey fans aren’t easily impressed by covers of her songs, including me. Since the songs don’t feature big notes or runs, contestants on singing shows tend to change things up to make them more suitable for the expectations of viewers, and it usually doesn’t work. 

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Because Kacey has a very unique style. She may not be a vocal powerhouse, but her songs are surprisingly difficult to pull off. Additionally, Kacey fans aren’t easily impressed by covers of her songs, including me. Since the songs don’t feature big notes or runs, contestants on singing shows tend to change things up to make them more suitable for the expectations of viewers, and it usually doesn’t work. 

my only real issue with people covering Kacey is that they all just pick the same song. While I do love Rainbow she has other songs too. That being said I don't think this guy is  going to do a good job with it.

Edited by QueenKalie

2 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

my only real issue with people covering Kacey is that they all just pick the same song. While I do love Rainbow she has other songs too. That being said I don't think this guy is  going to do a good job with it.

The only cover of Rainbow I’ve ever liked is Chevel Shepherd, and she didn’t do that one on the Voice. The Kacey song she did do on the show, “Space Cowboy,” didn’t get her a great reception, compared to her other performances. 

There have been covers of “Merry Go ‘Round.”  I didn’t like any of them. 

32 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Because Kacey has a very unique style. She may not be a vocal powerhouse, but her songs are surprisingly difficult to pull off. Additionally, Kacey fans aren’t easily impressed by covers of her songs, including me. 

Stans will always say that about their special snowflake.  She should be grateful if someone is willing to cover her songs.  A real star would understand that 1) contestants on these shows are just starting their career and 2) part of being a star is encouraging others - not putting them down.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Stans will always say that about their special snowflake.  She should be grateful if someone is willing to cover her songs.  A real star would understand that 1) contestants on these shows are just starting their career and 2) part of being a star is encouraging others - not putting them down.

I never said Kacey isn’t grateful. She’s the one who has to approve it, since she writes all of her songs. The main point I wanted to make is that her songs are deceptively hard to pull off, and rarely move the needle on these shows. 

• Idol Maniac changed the title to AI22 Semi-Finals (Top 24) Song Choices & Instruments