Drag Race Rankdown 5.0

Elliott

Yara Sofia

Yara Sofia GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

The only better thing than having all of the cuts this round be queens from non-English speaking franchises, is to have 6 of the 7 cuts be that I guess. Watching international Drag Race franchises takes a lotta work (I'm still very behind), but all that being said, it's worth it when you get to see some of the greatest queens that the world has to offer.

That leaves an easy cut of Yara Sofia, who I've just never quite warmed to in her three seasons on the show. She's a talented queen, but I think she's been up against fierce competition each time. Like, the Raja/Manila/Alexis top 3 in Season 3 was so strong, that Yara wasn't really able to ever break through to that. We'll forget about All-Stars 1. And then she made little impression on me in All-Stars 6. I thought her talent show win felt random. I did think she did better in the Rusical challenge than the judges gave her credit for, but also so did A'Keria and I was content with the decision the queens made to send her home at this point because I think she seemed checked out.

Save Soa de Muse

1 minute ago, FrogLenzen said:

not knowing these queens is not something to be proud about lololol

They'll all be nominated by me in the game until the end though, as I signed up for the English editions of this drag race rankdown. Not knowing who the queens are is a fine reason for nominating them and is just as valid as nominating queens you don't like.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Solaris said:

They'll all be nominated by me in the game until the end though, as I signed up for the English editions of this drag race rankdown. Not knowing who the queens are is a fine reason for nominating them and is just as valid as nominating queens you don't like.

and I said you shouldn't feel good about it. Subtitles won't kill you. If you're a fan of drag race you would be a fan of these queens. All I can do is recommend that you give them a chance

• Like 5

Just now, Solaris said:

as I signed up for the English editions of this drag race rankdown

Seeing as how it was known from the get-go international queens were going to be included in this, you didn’t sign for an English edition of this rankdown.

• Like 3

Punani

FR2 | 3rd/4th Place

Drag Race France Season 2 - Meet the Queens — Spill the Tea

Ideally, I don’t think I would have cut any of these queens at this stage but, of this list, Punani is my second least favourite of the queens I know on the list. That being said, I liked her well enough and after Rose, her drag partner, went home, I was rooting for her to do better because of it. She ended up winning only one challenge (her Snatch Game as Amanda Lear) but her runways were good and confessionals were entertaining so I didn’t mind her making the finale, especially over Cookie Kunty, who I wasn’t a fan of, but I far preferred Keoina, Mami and even Sara over her.

Save: Paloma 🇫🇷 

Edited by sublymonal
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

and I said you shouldn't feel good about it. Subtitles won't kill you. If you're a fan of drag race you would be a fan of these queens. All I can do is recommend that you give them a chance

If I had all the time in the world I would, I can't even keep up with the television shows I do watch.

Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh was on the premiere season of Drag Race Philippines. She came out of the gate super strong and won the first week, the Talent Show. The awful reaction video I found above doesn't do it justice lol. But I have to be honest and say that Minty wasn't a top fave of mine this season. She had a pretty good track record until Snatch Game when she was in the bottom with Brigiding and there was a double shante. After that, she knocked it out of the park and won the Ball, but we lost the iconic Viñas so I wasn't happy about it at all. After that Minty was in the bottom 2 again with Brigiding. The rematch. Minty won that one and Brigiding went home. Which I was fine with, in theory, except that Minty had a PARTICULARLY awful Makeover episode. Her real life sister came to surprise her as the makeover guest and Minty was livid. She said she was worried about COVID and her sister flying out on planes and exposing herself and their mother who was a high risk individual. Minty even considered dropping out. She was PISSED. And maybe I'm missing some nuance or culture but it came across SOOOOOO awkward it was a really unpleasant episode. It seemed like Minty was just mad because her sister wasn't tall and thin like she was oop. It was giving me Baga and her mother makeover episode. Which I hated and soured me on Baga a lot. So I'm not the world's biggest Minty fan but she's one of the select few icons chosen for this rankdown so I obviously wouldn't go out of my way to target her if it wasn't for all the other icons up for elimination this round as well.

Save Envy Peru

• Like 1

MAMI WATTA (Drag Race France S2)

mami-watta.jpeg

I haven't seen the second season of Drag Race France (I've watched half of S1 and liking it so far), so as bad as I feel about this cut, there's a lot of talented queens in this list. Mami Watta has Ivorian roots and it shows in her absolutely gorgeous drag. I don't really have too much to say about her as I didn't watch this season, but she made it all the way to 3/4th place so I assume that makes her a finalist. Looking at pictures of her runways, she seems to have a really chic and fashion forward take on drag while teetering the line perfectly between French glamor and her Ivorian roots. Apparently she made it to the finale without winning a challenge or lipsyncing. An even crazier fact is that she never lipsynced, as she was sent home in the finale without competing in any sort of LSFTC, in fact that makes her the first finalist from any drag race franchise to not get to lipsync in the competition. A true shame. 

Save: Gala

• Like 1
  • Sad 1