Let's get to know each other!

Hsamid

Not sure if there's a thread like this but I haven't been able to find one.

Thought it would be neat to make a more personal idf thread. I know the majority like to remain anonymous so just share what your comfortable with.

We can start with user's favourite singers/bands and go from there?

I'll try to keep it brief since there's so many singers/bands I can name.

I'll start off with my favourite singers. Dimash is probably the most impressive singer I've heard on a technical level. So many different textures to his voice, almost like he has multiple voices, and of course his insane range

Some others include Bjork, Kate bush. If you wanna delve into weird experimental, art pop music, definitely worth checking out.

Phoebe Bridgers and Bon Iver for the moody indie vibes

Been getting into gospel for the vocals.

Listening to a lot Carly rae jepsen too, lighthearted fun pop vibes lmao.

Edited by Hsamid

29 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I'll start off with my favourite singers. Dimash is probably the most impressive singer I've heard on a technical level. So many different textures to his voice, almost like he has multiple voices, and of course his insane range

Dimash is (imo) the best singer I've ever seen in my entire life. P.S. He make beautiful songs that I really love.

Btw, you may not know this, but he has a thread here in the "Entertainment" category, which was created by istersay.

• Like 3

Hi! I think my real life music taste is pop-rock. I love pop music across the decades, not so much on modern pop nowadays but I love most stuff from 2010s and earlier. My taste in rock tends towards 90s grunge to 2000s alternative/pop. 

My favorite artist of all time is Regina Spektor. I absolutely love her voice and the way she creates songs. Her debut studio album Soviet Kitsch is my favorite album of all time. I still have her recordings from the early 2000s when she was still unsigned.

Lady GaGa and Sara Bareilles would be my 2nd and 3rd faves.

Yes, I like female artists too. 😆

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

Hi! I think my real life music taste is pop-rock. I love pop music across the decades, not so much on modern pop nowadays but I love most stuff from 2010s and earlier. My taste in rock tends towards 90s grunge to 2000s alternative/pop. 

My favorite artist of all time is Regina Spektor. I absolutely love her voice and the way she creates songs. Her debut studio album Soviet Kitsch is my favorite album of all time. I still have her recordings from the early 2000s when she was still unsigned.

Lady GaGa and Sara Bareilles would be my 2nd and 3rd faves.

Yes, I like female artists too. 😆

I know I’m basic but I stan Fidelity lol

I also love Black and White, All the Rowboats, Laughing With… and I remember the video for Don’t Leave Me on VH1 it was so cute.

So I'm also on ATRL, but anyone else who is on there probably wouldn't know me, I'm irrelevant lol (use it mainly for finding music and don't post much)

But I really love music and while pop is definitely one of my top genres (see signature), there are other types of music that I feel like are equally big parts of my taste. I love indie artists and bands (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, Caroline Polachek etc.) and I also love alternative rock (Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Kings of Leon - btw thrilled that AM finally got covered this season). I love finding new music and try to be open-minded even if it's not a genre I typically like. ATRL is a good community but sometimes it feels like it's too focused on only pop music by female artists. This forum seems to have a more open vibe and I appreciate that.

Anyway singing shows are what first got me into music, it was actually American Idol way back then but I started watching The Voice from S1 to S6. Then I got tired of it and didn't watch for a long time. But during the pandemic I picked back up with S20 on Hulu and couldn't help getting sucked back in. I watched all the old seasons I'd missed and finally caught up by this summer. It's a frustrating show sometimes I won't lie, but it would feel so weird not to watch. Even with all the coach gimmicks and the objectionable results, we get so many amazing performances that I don't want to miss out on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nytsch said:

So I'm also on ATRL, but anyone else who is on there probably wouldn't know me, I'm irrelevant lol (use it mainly for finding music and don't post much)

But I really love music and while pop is definitely one of my top genres (see signature), there are other types of music that I feel like are equally big parts of my taste. I love indie artists and bands (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, Caroline Polachek etc.) and I also love alternative rock (Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Kings of Leon - btw thrilled that AM finally got covered this season). I love finding new music and try to be open-minded even if it's not a genre I typically like. ATRL is a good community but sometimes it feels like it's too focused on only pop music by female artists. This forum seems to have a more open vibe and I appreciate that.

Anyway singing shows are what first got me into music, it was actually American Idol way back then but I started watching The Voice from S1 to S6. Then I got tired of it and didn't watch for a long time. But during the pandemic I picked back up with S20 on Hulu and couldn't help getting sucked back in. I watched all the old seasons I'd missed and finally caught up by this summer. It's a frustrating show sometimes I won't lie, but it would feel so weird not to watch. Even with all the coach gimmicks and the objectionable results, we get so many amazing performances that I don't want to miss out on.

s7-s19? did you find any contestants that you liked?

13 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Muse would be a great band to cover on the show especially since Matt Bellamy has quite the range.

Was really into AM at one point but haven't caught up with their latest 2 albums yet.

13 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

s7-s19? did you find any contestants that you liked?

Oof, this is actually a really hard question because the contestants who gave objectively (or even subjectively) better performances were not necessarily the contestants who had my favorite personalities or genre styles. But if I had to go for an all around person who I thought gave consistently great vocals, great personality, great song choices, and great chemistry with their coach... I think I'd go for Britton. Cute and funny, and also hell of a singer and performer. Super fun to watch on stage. Loved the dynamic between him and Alicia. Ngl, loved that he proved the person who's instant saved into the finale doesn't have to finish last. Original song was great and he wrote it too. A Bruce Springsteen fan! I don't think he gets enough credit for that amazing Some Kind of Wonderful cover in the playoffs.

On all those factors, I really liked Hunter Plake too. Honestly, I thought his BA was terrible. But something happened between then and the battles and almost everything he did after was great. The way he flipped Higher Love!! Personality wise, he kinda reminds me of myself in a way. Clear artistic vision. People sometimes gave him crap for not enunciating, but it didn't bother me, that's just his style.

12 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Muse would be a great band to cover on the show especially since Matt Bellamy has quite the range.

Was really into AM at one point but haven't caught up with their latest 2 albums yet.

I remember Starlight was on the show, but unfortunately by Ryan Sill... (honestly though that performance wasn't too bad by his standards)

4/5 had to grow on me, but I love it now. There'd Better Be a Mirrorball is FABULOUS

New album has a lot of slow songs, but I think it's a great vibe if you're in the mood for it

4 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Oof, this is actually a really hard question because the contestants who gave objectively (or even subjectively) better performances were not necessarily the contestants who had my favorite personalities or genre styles. But if I had to go for an all around person who I thought gave consistently great vocals, great personality, great song choices, and great chemistry with their coach... I think I'd go for Britton. Cute and funny, and also hell of a singer and performer. Super fun to watch on stage. Loved the dynamic between him and Alicia. Ngl, loved that he proved the person who's instant saved into the finale doesn't have to finish last. Original song was great and he wrote it too. A Bruce Springsteen fan! I don't think he gets enough credit for that amazing Some Kind of Wonderful cover in the playoffs.

On all those factors, I really liked Hunter Plake too. Honestly, I thought his BA was terrible. But something happened between then and the battles and almost everything he did after was great. The way he flipped Higher Love!! Personality wise, he kinda reminds me of myself in a way. Clear artistic vision. People sometimes gave him crap for not enunciating, but it didn't bother me, that's just his style.

I actually liked Hunter's BA, but yeah his latter performances were better.

I usually have unpopular opinions lol... re: pretty much any reality tv show.

My faves from The Voice are Josh Gallagher, Bryce Leatherwood, The Swon Brothers, Emily Ann Roberts, Nick Hagelin, Ryan Sill, Brennley Brown... I've liked lots more too but those are the ones who stand out rn.

I basically only listen to country music outisde of watching singing shows. My favourite artists are Miranda Lambert, Chase Rice, Sam Hunt, Carly Pearce and Morgan Wallen. 

Edited by Stacey.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stacey. said:

I usually have unpopular opinions lol... re: pretty much any reality tv show.

My faves from The Voice are Josh Gallagher, Bryce Leatherwood, The Swon Brothers, Emily Ann Roberts, Nick Hagelin, Ryan Sill, Brennley Brown... I've liked lots more too but those are the ones who stand out rn.

I basically only listen to country music outisde of watching singing shows. My favourite artists are Miranda Lambert, Chase Rice, Sam Hunt, Carly Pearce and Morgan Wallen. 

Emily Ann was great. I honestly was not familiar with the song but Why Not Me is one of my favorite country performances from the show.

Not a Nick fan per se, but he did get unnecessary hate imo. He had some good performances and the falsetto was cool even if he overused it sometimes. Christina was right to bring him back, he shouldn't go home after his KO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Not sure if there's a thread like this but I haven't been able to find one.

Thought it would be neat to make a more personal idf thread. I know the majority like to remain anonymous so just share what your comfortable with.

We can start with user's favourite singers/bands and go from there?

Some others include Bjork, Kate bush. If you wanna delve into weird experimental, kinda pop - ish music, definitely worth checking out just for the intrigue even if you don't like em.

Phoebe Bridgers and Bon Iver for the moody indie vibes

But my most recent listens have been maverick city. Been getting into gospel despite being an atheist but this group has such a passionate sound, and clean vocals if you're not a fan of vocal squals. Melvin Crispell is a standout for me. The power and passion in his voice is awesome and his runs are so musical and tasteful. Closest comparable I can think of is a very toned down Davon fleming. Everyone sounds great though. It's the kind of religious music I imagine someone like Zan Fiskum would be apart of.

Been into Carly rae jepsen too, lighthearted fun pop vibes lmao.

Dimash = the greatest, mind blowing singer

I'm a Camila stan, like talent competitions, from US and other countries, and I binge a lot of kdrama :giggle:and mystery, sci-fi etc

• Like 1

Hellooooooooo. Imma try not to say a lot about my personal life because there's a few people here i lowkey think are robots. 

Before I started watching The Voice my music taste was very different. Pretty much all pop music. I started watching The Voice in 2020 because we were in Quarantine and I had nothing better to do with my life. I wanted to find a singing competition show to binge watch, so I started watching AGT, but then I realized that anyone on AGT that wasn't singing, I had no interest in, so I started watching The Voice Season 18 on hulu until I caught up so I can finally watch it on the big screen. I remember the first episode I ever watched LIVE was The Knockouts Premiere. Ngl i was lowkey a Levi stan😭😭. I joined IDF around June of last year, my first post on here is really embarrassing and makes me wanna sob. Since watching The Voice, my music taste literally did a full 180. Now i love the old soulful classics. My favorite singer of all time would be Mrs. Aretha Franklin. Also enjoy listening too artists like Whitney Houston, Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Luther Vandross, Chaka Khan and most recently, Brandy. I used to say that I wish I was born in the 60s for the music, but then I realized I was black so nevermind. With some of the songs I put in the "Songs You'd Like to Hear Covered" thread, some people probably thought I was old but I promise I'm not😭. i dont listen to modern music much, but I will forever be an Adele, Beyonce, and Rihanna stan!!!!! My favorite contestant ever is Koryn Hawthorne. I actually already knew about her before I started watching The Voice because of her song "Won't He Do It". This show makes me mad sometimes but it lowkey got me through surviving heart surgery so YAY

Edited by erik g
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, nytsch said:

I remember Starlight was on the show, but unfortunately by Ryan Sill... (honestly though that performance wasn't too bad by his standards)

4/5 had to grow on me, but I love it now. There'd Better Be a Mirrorball is FABULOUS

New album has a lot of slow songs, but I think it's a great vibe if you're in the mood for it

I wasn't watching when Ryan was on but by the sounds of it I didn't miss much. Lol.

I'll definitely check them out! Lowley forgot about AM for a bit until Devix covered them to the shock of all of us.

What's not to like about a young, blonde, singing Matt Damon?

One of the most unique artists since I've been watching (s11 onwards) 

His "all I want" Cover is a personal favourite of mine

11 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Btw, what are we supposed to tell about Personal life? I'm not sure about what to say, so that's why I'm asking.

I'm a big blues and rock fan, with love for country and a lot of alternative music too. One of my favorite bands ever are The Rolling Stones, since they 've combined almost everything here. I do love funk, metal, and swing too. Not much modern pop for me but there are several artists in that lane that I do appreciate.

I don't listen to R&B that much but I do love D'Angelo and I think artists like H.E.R and Jazmine Sullivan are phenomenal. 

One thing you'll also notice, I love it when contestants play instruments and a lot of my favorites have done so on the show. It's not a requirement for me to like them, but it's definitely a plus. I'm a guitar player so I'm always down for one on the show.

I probably started watching around S5, and found about IDF around S13 or so. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, erik g said:

. i dont listen to modern music much, but I will forever be an Adele, Beyonce, and Rihanna stan!!!!!

WAIT HOLD ON I LIED I FORGOT QUEEN JAZMINE SULLIVAN. i do also like some songs off of John Legends latest album a lot. Specifically "Splash" and "Love"

Edited by erik g

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Btw, what are we supposed to tell about Personal life? I'm not sure about what to say, so that's why I'm asking.

I didn't want to specify because wanted people to share what they were comfortable with.

But it doesn't have to be personal life per se, could be just about yourself. Like musical taste, favourite singers, what you're recently listening to, hell, your favourite colour if u want lmao.