Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Chris Rock

Chris-Rock.jpg

Finding a picture of Chris Rock was very difficult as many of them were of The Slap obviously which I do not give a single shit about (though his joke was obviously out of pocket if you need further justification of this cut). Chris Rock is definitely known more as a comedian and an actor. As a comedian I think he's okay. I've seen a few stand up routines from him and they're generally funny, though none of his bits have been particularly memorable for me. He gave Everybody Loves Chris to the world which is obviously iconic and I thank him for that. He got his start as a not too particularly well known SNL cast member and then moved onto In Living Color and then The Chris Rock Show. He didn't do much acting, but soon transition into it. He was a solid comedic actor. I enjoy Death at a Funeral and I think it's better than it has any business being thanks to Chris Rock's performance. However, he really surprised me with Top Five which is an incredibly underrated movie and a great demonstration of Rock's abilities as a dramatic and comedic actor. I started to have faith in Chris Rock. Soon it would be announced that he would lead the fourth season of Fargo, one of my favorite tv shows. It was a really shocking choice, but thanks to Top Five I had faith in him. Unfortunately he completely let me down. The season was mediocre and Chris Rock simply did not have the chops to pull it off. While he's had some highs, I don't think they cancel out the lows, especially in this iconic group of actors and actresses.

Save Riz Ahmed

• Like 1

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6b556f393879574d4771677535413d3d2d3539393936303436382e313533656663626464353564343636643333343135323538393133362e676966

There's truly not a lot of actors or actresses that I dislike which makes it harder when it comes to cutting. But what makes it easier is the fact that there's a decent amount of actors and actresses that I do not really care for which is the case for Lucy Liu, whom I am cutting now.  She started her career by getting guest roles or small roles on television or in movies, which eventually led to her getting her big brek on Ally McBeal where she portrayed Ling Woo.  In the early 2000s, she scored the role of Alex Munday in Charlie's Angels which became one of her signature role - a film that I never really cared for so I truly have no attachment to her.  She eventually went on to appear in Shanghai Noon, Chiccago, and Kill Bill : Volume 1.  As of late, she is known for her role on Elementary, a show that I've never seen, for more than 6 years.  Overall, Lucy Liu is just a fine actress, in my opinion, and therefore I am at peace with her getting cut from the rankdown. 

SAVING: STANLEY TUCCI

96601f74c56baa0d517a4d7b5f0fab15.gif

In the category of actresses that I know but I am unfamiliar with their work, I present to you Wendi McLendon-Covey.  Best known for her work in Bridesmaid, she is a comedic actress - I will say that she's incredibly hilarious and I enjoyed in Bridesmaid. Following the success of Bridesmaid, she went on to appear on The Goldbergs, a sitcom on ABC where she plays the matriarch of the family, as well appearing other shows such as Reno 911! in which she appeared from 2003-2008 and its reboot in 2020.  Unfortunately, outside of Bridesmaid & Goosebumps 2 : Haunted, I've never seen the majority of roles which mean that I'm simply not attached to her as I am to other actresses and actors in this. If there's any fans of hers in this, my apologies for cutting her.

SAVING: BETTY WHITE

Andy Samberg

484313_v9_bb.jpg

Andy Samberg seems to be more known for his run of Saturday Night Live and his marriage to Joanna Newsom (I'm sure Andy brings out the ear plugs when she starts singing!) rather than recent acting credits, so he seems to be an easier cut. He's also starred in Brooklyn Nine-Nine (haven't seen, I don't tend to like comedy combined with mystery or police procedurals) as well as Hot Rod and some meh comedies. I haven't seem him in muc that he has a major role in such as Park and Rec since I'm not a fan, only a couple of his minor roles like I Love You Man. I just don't have much of an interest in watching most of the movies/shows he has been in, so out he goes from the rankdown. 

Save: Hugh Laurie

Vanessa Bayer

330px-Vanessa_Bayer_at_LOL_for_LLS_0.04.

I at least knew of Andy Samberg somewhat, but this next actress I am cutting I am totally unfamiliar with their work, and she happens to be Vanessa Bayer. Like Andy, she seems to be known primarily for her work on Saturday Night Live; she was in the cast from 2010 to 2017, which it earned her an Emmy nomination, as well her role in a Showtime comedy called I Love That For You. I haven't seen any of the films she was involved in either; I've at least heard of Despicable Me 2 and Carrie Pilby but I have never gotten around to watching either film. Sorry to any fans of hers but I am utterly unfamiliar with her and her work and filmography doesn't seem to be very large so out she goes. 

Save: Olivia Colman

Edited by ~Tom~
  • Sad 1

Cristin Milioti

Cristin Milioti - IMDb

Cristin Milioti is an American actress best known for her role in the sitcom How I Met Your Mother. HIMYM is one that I could never really get into and never thought was particularly funny. Not that Cristin did a bad job, Tracy was a charming enough character. She also was in the Tony-award winning musical Once and herself was nominated for a Tony and won a Grammy for her work in that. Besides that, she had a role in one of Fargo's seasons, starred in The Wolf of Wall Street, and has starred in a couple of more recent series, namely Made For Love and The Resort. Again I don't have anything against her and maybe she slayed one of the above things so much that someone here is a fan but for now she goes out of the game, the list of legends is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Save: Aubrey Plaza

Kayvan Novak 

Cuban Fury: why Kayvan Novak isn't playing the 'foreign bad guy' any more |  Cuban Fury | The Guardian

I feel like someone brought him into the game since I had never heard of him before, but I have seen him in What We Do in the Shadows and of course we love that show! Kayvan Novak is a BAFTA-award winning British actor and comedian, born to Iranian parents. He is known for his own show Fonejacker and as I mentioned above starred in What We Do In the Shadows. He guest starred in an episode of Skins, starred in the movie Syriana, starred in last year's Cruella, and even had a part in the iconique movie Paddington! It seems like he might be more of a passion fave of some people here, I'm sure if I were more familiar with his work I would be a stan but I had to pick someone and so he is the unfortunate casualty of today. 

Save: Keke Palmer

Debra Messing

debra-messing-speaks-onstage-at-the-logos-2017-trailblazer-news-photo-1592419795.jpg

I hate Will & Grace and yeah...that's about it when it comes to Debra Messing's career lol. I guess that's not fair, she's starred in a few tv shows. Debra Messing is best known for her shows such as Ned and Stacey, Prey, Will & Grace, The Starter Wife, Smash, and The Mysteries of Laura. I've seen a few episodes of Will & Grace and Smash...don't really care for Will & Grace. Smash is so bad its good tv, but at a certain point I just started fast forwarding through any season that didn't have Megan Hilty in it so I can't tell you much about Debra Messing. Her film career isn't much of anything. I remember twitter trying to convince itself that Debra Messing should've placed Lucy in that I Love Lucy movie instead of Nicole Kidman but then there was a viral tweet that was like "It's not about looks we need someone who can act" and like yeah...tea. That's why I hate biopics. People become so obsessed with looks and like I don't care. Just give me a good performance and movie. I'm digressing, but that's because I have nothing substantive to say about Debra Messing's career. I'm sure she'd be happy she's in this game and Megan Mullally isn't.

Save Rose Byrne

Adrien Brody

intro-1566857143.jpg

At 29 years old Adrien Brody became the youngest actor to win an Oscar for Best Actor and everyone expected his career to blow up after that. And then...nothing really happened? He's a frequent collaborator of Wes Anderson which I appreciate, but is never one of the most interesting characters in his movies. He's a fervent defender of people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski which sucks, but if we're holding people in this game accountable for working with shitty people we're gonna have to do a mass kill right now lol. He kissed Halle Berry when he won his Oscar which made her really uncomfortable and wasn't planned at all so that's awful. Recently I saw him on Succession which earned him a guest Emmy nomination but similar to his work with Wes Anderson, he was one of the least interesting guest stars of the season. He was very good on Winning Time on HBO, so that's probably his most exciting role I've seen of him. Don't really have many positives to say about his career or him as a person.

Save Michael K. Williams

Kerry Washington

3929.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=474f5afc1f9c3c19ea26d5ce501fbb18

This might be an unpopular cut. As a person, Kerry Washington seems to be great. She's very charming in all the interviews I've watched of her and appears to have a big heart. Unfortunately, I have not been a fan of her acting. Kerry Washington is most known for playing Olivia Pope in ABC's Scandal. I've never watched it, but it's a very popular show and I'm sure she did do a great job. Kerry Washington gets made fun of for her "mouth acting" a lot of the time, and it's really noticeable and distracting to me in the roles I've seen her in. Little Fires Everywhere was a weak show, but elevated thanks to a great performance from Reese Witherspoon. Kerry Washington ended up receiving an Emmy nomination for it, but I thought Witherspoon was far superior and I would've rather seen her nominated (or no one since I didn't like the show lol). A few other things I've seen her in are American Son (where I felt she overacted a lot), The Prom (which was a disaster and she did nothing to save it), Confirmation (which is probably my favorite performance from her), and Django Unchained (which she's great in but it's a small role). I'm open to liking Washington in future projects and I wouldn't avoid something just because she's in it, but as of now I can't say I'm a fan.

Save Kristen Wiig

Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins - Emmy Awards, Nominations and Wins | Television Academy

I'm surprised he hasn't often starred as a villain or in more horror movies, because he has ~that look~. Walton Goggins is an American actor. He has been in Justified, which I started watching and remember enjoying well enough. This is what garnered Walter an Emmy nomination. Besides that, he was in Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Tomb Raider, and more. Earlier in his career he starred in the show The Shield and also has been in the recent HBO comedy The Righteous Gemstones. I don't really know what else to say about him. He was raised in an Atlanta suburb, which is cool. We love Atlanta! I definitely have seen him around and he seems like a talented enough actor I just don't have an attachment to him and so am fine cutting him here.

Save: Matthew Rhys

Lily James

gettyimages-943864720-1641815070.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.667xh;0,0.0341xh&resize=640:*

Another actress I can't say I've been crazy about anything I've seen from them. Lily James is definitely an up and coming actress who will probably have plenty of good roles and performances in the future. She seemed to get her big breakthrough on Downton Abbey as Lady Rose Aldridge née MacClare. I've never watched Downton Abbey, but as far as I know the acting is strong on that show. Recently on television, she earned an Emmy nomination for her performance on Pam & Tommy, a very controversial project as it was made without the consent of Pamela Anderson. While I think art should be open to anything, it is morally dubious to say the least to make a show about consent without getting consent from the person whose project it's hurting. So for that reason I didn't watch the show, but the hair and makeup team seemed to have done a fantastic job turning James into Anderson. On film she's most known for playing Cinderella in the live action version with Richard Madden. A completely unnecessary film as we already have the Brandy version :kissbye:. She had a small part in Baby Driver where I liked her and found her to be very charming. I've also seen her in Darkest Hour and Yesterday, but neither films were particularly memorable to me, nor was her performance. I'm sure she'll have many great roles in the future!

Save Margot Robbie

Aaron Taylor-Johnson

263572_v9_bb.jpg

Aaron Taylor-Johnson is an English actor best known for his role in Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2, as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe character Pietro Maximoff in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers: Age of Ultro. I'm not a fan of that series or a Marvel fan, so I haven't seen him in any of that, only the first Avengers film. I have also seen him as the psycho in Nocturnal Animals and he was good there, but not enough to save him. Also, to get the elephant out of the room, he's marrried to a woman over twenty years older than him. I wonder how it would've gone over if the roles were reversed? Anyway, not someone I ave any attachment to so out he goes. 

Save: Daniel Radcliffe

Katey Sagal

Katey Sagal (@KateySagal) / Twitter

I don't really know her, I'm not familiar with her work, so I'm sorry if she's secretly a legend and someone's favorite here! Katey Sagal is an American actress best known for her work in TV. She was in Married....with Children back in the 80s and 90s which I'm pretty sure was a major show back in the day? She was in Futurama, I've seen episodes of Futurama of course but not really attached to the show. She had a decent arc in the show Shameless, and won the Golden Globe for her work in Sons of Anarchy, a show that I have been meaning to watch but never got around to it. Also, she is starring in the sitcom The Conners. She has been a major presence on the small screen but doesn't seem to have forayed too much into the movie world. There is nothing wrong with that! Out she goes from this game for now.

Save: Alison Brie

• Sad 1

Tom Hanks

Sag 2020 GIF by SAG Awards

It is undisputed that Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor. He is well-decorated and has been in many beloved films. As much as I acknowledge his talent, I have really disliked a ton of the films he has been in and is most known for. And the films that I DO like (Saving Private Ryan, Bridge of Spies, Toy Story, etc.) I wouldn't say that I liked them because of Tom specifically. And even setting aside the films that I outright dislike, he has developed a habit recently of picking really boring roles to play, IMO. A lot of the "aww shucks" regular guy, a lot of "firm, authoritative but golden-hearted" idk. And it certainly is a special skill to play a lead actor role and carry a whole movie with an average/predictable plot, and I don't think I've ever seen him fail at it. But it doesn't get me excited and this is a free-for-all so might as well be crazy.

Save James Gandolfini

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Dakota Fanning

kristen stewart twilight GIF

Dakota Fanning played a TON of roles as a child. She was the youngest person to be nominated for a SAG award at age 8. She was really a gifted child actress, and had this special skill of playing the innocent but EXTREMELY precocious and insightful young girl. She was very highly in demand for this skill and did it flawlessly. Once she grew out of the age range for that type of role, I don't think she has seen the same success. Her sister, Elle, certainly seems to thrive on the young adult roles right now. Maybe Dakota hasn't been able to translate her child talents to a believable adult role. Maybe Dakota is just relaxing and letting all the $$$ from her childhood continue to roll in while she doesn't stress about acting too much. Either way, Dakota has her whole life and career ahead of her, so it's not fair to say that she isn't still talented or won't have her renaissance later in life. But for now it's curtains

Save Frances McDormand

3 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Well, now with that Tom Hanks cut, my most favorite actors are already out of this rankdown. 😕

I kept almost saving him and thinking “no one would go after him” each time I saw his name. 🤡 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rhea Seehorn

Rhea-Seehorn.png

Anothr actress I don't know, Rhea Sheehorn is best known for playing Kim Wexler in Better Call Saul. For this role, she was nominated at the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. She received an additional Emmy nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series for her performance in Cooper's Bar. Don't know Cooper's Bar and haven't watched Better Call Saul, and se's a limited number of film roles and quite a few television shows, including some I've watched like The Closer and Veep. Don't remember her in The Closer and I never made it Veep's final season to see her in it, so her time is up now. 

Save: Cate Blanchett

29 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Rhea Seehorn

Rhea-Seehorn.png

Anothr actress I don't know, Rhea Sheehorn is best known for playing Kim Wexler in Better Call Saul. For this role, she was nominated at the 74th Primetime Emmy Awards for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. She received an additional Emmy nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series for her performance in Cooper's Bar. Don't know Cooper's Bar and haven't watched Better Call Saul, and se's a limited number of film roles and quite a few television shows, including some I've watched like The Closer and Veep. Don't remember her in The Closer and I never made it Veep's final season to see her in it, so her time is up now. 

Save: Cate Blanchett

She's fantastic in Better Call Saul. I haven't seen her in anything else but hopefully she becomes a household name because of it.

• Like 2