American Idol Rankdown 3.0 (Rebooted)

sublymonal

Posted (edited)

American Idol Rankdown 3.0

Round 2: Hollywood Week - Solo Round

Group 1

american_idol_-_22hollywood_week22_-_publicity_-_h_2019.jpg?w=1296

Remember, you are advancing 1 to Round 4 and cutting 1. Anyone who isn't advanced or cut will compete in Round 3.

@Alex95 @*Diana @Elliott @jarmon 

@QueenKalie @thevoiceisthetop @totes4totes

Here are your first group of contestants:

1. Arthur Gunn CUT
  2. Ben Briley CUT
  3. Caleb Johnson CUT
  4. Carmen Rasmusen
  5. Cassandra Coleman CUT
  6. Chris Daughtry SAVED
  7. Colton Dixon CUT
  8. Corey Clark
  9. David Archuleta SAVED
  10. Haven Madison
  11. Hollie Cavanagh
  12. Jovin Webb CUT
  13. Julia Gagnon SAVED
  14. Julia Gargano SAVED
  15. MacKenzie Bourg
  16. Madison Watkins
  17. Malaya Watson
  18. Matt Rogers
  19. Michael J. Woodard
  20. MK Nobilette
  21. Nikko Smith
  22. Noah Thompson
  23. Olivia Rox
  24. Paul Jolley
  25. Phillip Phillips SAVED
  26. Qaasim Middleton
  27. Quentin Alexander
  28. Scotty McCreery
  29. Syesha Mercado SAVED
  30. Triston Harper CUT
Edited by sublymonal

Forgot to mention, but write-ups have to be 50 words about the person with a picture and posted 1 hour after your cut/save or someone can steal your cut/save. If it doesn't have a picture, you can go back and add it later.

Ben Briley

ben-briley.jpg

Oh I could've gone nasty here, but I'm assuming the best in everyone for the time being until someone pisses me off. Until then, fodder like Ben Briley can take the first hit. I'm trying to watch D.E.B.S. here so I'm not gonna sit here and relisten to all of Ben's performances. He was on Season 13, one of the more forgettable seasons of Idol. Ben was competing with Dexter Roberts for the country guy of the season, and it was Dexter who beat him. Tbh if this was 2024, both would make it to like final seven with Dexter making it to final three. But back in the day, America wasn't afraid to vote out country singers when they sucked. And Ben decided to butcher Bennie and the Jets despite the fact that it's Haley Reinhart's song. These kids have no respect for their Idol elders smh.

Save Chris Daughtry

• Sad 1

a6248fb0-f7fc-40aa-9afb-c0813f22b279-175

Cassandra Coleman

Sorry Cassandra. I went through the list and chose maybe the first name I didn't recognize. I went with that to say that she definitely didn't have enough of a presence or a fandom to make an impact on me. So with that Cassandra is the cut. I feel like I remember NOTHING from the post-COVID season. Just specifically season 19. But that's the season Cassandra was on. Let's see here's a list of her performances: "Writing's on the Wall," "Go the Distance," and that is all. Of course she had her pre-finals performances but this rankdown doesn't count those contestants so I don't count those performances.

Saving: Syesha

Posted (edited)

Triston Harper

triston-harper-idol-vertical.jpg

There were a handful of people I would have been totally fine with cutting but doing a write up on Triston was pretty easy since I just got done listening to him on the most recent season of Idol. At the start of the season I thought he was winning because I thought he was the best sounding male country singer and he had the perfect Idol backstory to help him win. But as the live show rounds kept going and going it was clear he just was too young and inexperienced to pull off the win.  He still made it into the top 5 even though he wasn't even remotely close to being one of the top 5 best singers on the show. Maybe he will get better with age but he was an easy cut out of this group so out he goes. Here is his performance of God's Country by Blake Shelton.

Edited by QueenKalie

Posted (edited)

JWebb.webp.8e2c1217c45a93099a483ab60085dbac.webp

JOVIN WEBB

Jovin Webb was a contestant on the infamous COVID season. For his audition, he was sounding like a chain smoker singing Whipping Post by The Allman Brothers Band. He sang Ed Sheeran, James Brown, and Chris Stapleton in the Hollywood Week. Then it was revealed he made it to Hawaii Round which he sang "You are The Best Thing" by Ray Lamontagne which was revealed he made it to the virtual live shows. Then for the first live show, he sang "With a Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker, which wasn't impressive. Finally, he sang Voodoo by Allen Stone which I love me some Allen Stone but this wasn't it, I'll link it down below. Apparently, recently, he got signed to a blues label so good for him. His latest song was in a movie, "The Dirty South". Jovin wasn't for me but he gave me lots of retro vibes and reminded me of a worse James Brown.

Edited by thevoiceisthetop

41 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

a6248fb0-f7fc-40aa-9afb-c0813f22b279-175

Cassandra Coleman

10 minutes ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

JWebb.webp.8e2c1217c45a93099a483ab60085dbac.webp

JOVIN WEBB

OMGG yikess @ the way I forgot who these people were, yet I can remember all the finalists from the ABC seasons. :lmao: 

41 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

:wacko:

OMGGG I totally never realized this. :dead: :lmao: 

ARTHUR GUNN

Season 18 - 2nd Place

Season 19 - 6th/7th Place

American-Idol-Arthur-Gunn.jpg

Favourite Performance: Not Applicable

Wow, look at me making the first cut in this game to take out my least-favourite Idol finalist - Arthur Gunn. Move aside Corey Clark, it's time for me to finally #drag someone else. :wub: Arthur Gunn was S18's version of Alejandro, complete with more pimping and even worse performances. Imagine making me dislike you that much in a season that had a shorter live shows schedule than some seasons of The Virus do. As for Arthur Gunn? He did not have a single performance I enjoyed. He did not have a single performance I ever want to revisit. He made it all the way to second place by virtue of the judges [virtually] fellating him every chance they could. But at the end of the day, he lost to Just Sam and that was that.

But then for season 19, the producers decided to stage The Comeback. aka they brought back a bunch of S18 contestants to compete for a spot to join the finals of S19 (post the first elimination for whatever reason). Most of the picks made sense - a bunch of semi-finalists who were one-and-done, and two finalists who went out early and had some more potential. (or maybe I'm just biased, lol.) But they also decided to bring Arthur back. It seemed like a foregone conclusion that he was going to return, even though he easily turned in the worst performance of the night. Gross.

Thankfully the voters weren't going off the deep end this season, and he only made it two rounds before they eliminated again. Hallelujah. He was supposed to perform in the finale with Sheryl Crow, but decided that he was better than the show and refused to do the performance. The funniest part of all this was that he then posted an invitation for Sheryl Crow to come perform at his hometown show in Kansas. The cheek, the nerve, the gall, the audacity and the gumption!

It seems like Arthur has burned his bridges with Idol after all that, and they don't seem like they're wanting to bring him back for any reason ever again. Can't say I blame them, but I'm annoyed it took them so long to realize that aspect. At least we as rankers were spared him outlasting his welcome this time around.

SAVE: Phillip Phillips

Colton Dixon

Colton Dixon Featured in People Magazine Article | FaithTalk Atlanta 590 -  Atlanta, GA

Colton just wasn't my thing at all. He's from Murfreesboro, TN which I've been to many times but that isn't enough of a connection to endear me to him. He has done a lot of Christian music and I promise that's not the reason I have a grudge against him. I just didn't click with anything he did on the show at all. I probably already wrote a lot about all that during the Idol Performances mini rankdown. Whenever he sat down at a piano I braced myself for the worst and was never wrong. The Decode one was particularly egregious. For me. I assume he has other fans so it must not be an objective fact that he was grating (it is). He certainly had that emo look down and never failed to give his squinty eyes but 'twas not for me. Honestly, buzz his hair down to like a quarter inch like Beckham and maybe I'd be singing a different tune. In any case, I hear he is a Trump supporter these days so I assume there's no real love lost here among the IDF crowd anymore. 

Save David Archuleta