American Idol Season 21 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

something that irks me about how the judges are handling criticisms this season is that both Nutsa and Lucy were told they were being over-the-top when they danced along to the (upbeat!) songs they chose to sing, but Cameron from last season was allowed to randomly do flips during his performances (and his vocals were objectively less strong than both Nutsa and Lucy's).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, QueenCami said:

something that irks me about how the judges are handling criticisms this season is that both Nutsa and Lucy were told they were being over-the-top when they danced along to the (upbeat!) songs they chose to sing, but Cameron from last season was allowed to randomly do flips during his performances (and his vocals were objectively less strong than both Nutsa and Lucy's).

This is interesting to analyze tbh. While I agree that is unfair that they criticized the women for this and not someone like Cameron, I actually think it was meant to serve as a compliment for Lucy/Nutsa. The judges saw they both had amazing vocal abilities and wanted to highlight that by asking them to sing a ballad. Cameron never had those abilities and I think they just wanted him to be the token "fun novelty act" of the season. 

Uptempo songs don't really work for Idol auditions because it seems awkward if you try to do a full on performance to only the 3 judges and with limited accompaniment. It works better when they have the full band and a packed audience in Hawaii/lives. 

TL;DR - The judges criticizing Lucy/Nutsa was more of a blessing rather than a curse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m1key said:

This is interesting to analyze tbh. While I agree that is unfair that they criticized the women for this and not someone like Cameron, I actually think it was meant to serve as a compliment for Lucy/Nutsa. The judges saw they both had amazing vocal abilities and wanted to highlight that by asking them to sing a ballad. Cameron never had those abilities and I think they just wanted him to be the token "fun novelty act" of the season. 

Uptempo songs don't really work for Idol auditions because it seems awkward if you try to do a full on performance to only the 3 judges and with limited accompaniment. It works better when they have the full band and a packed audience in Hawaii/lives. 

TL;DR - The judges criticizing Lucy/Nutsa was more of a blessing rather than a curse.

I think you’re a lot more knowledgeable about AI than I am so you’re probably right.

I do see how they were like “You have a voice in there, you don’t have to dance, just sing!” But I also felt like they were condescending about it, and frankly a little rude, calling Nutsa a “Vegas Act” (or am I making that up?). 

Also I frankly just think they’re wrong. It’s so much more fun when someone can both sing and perform. That’s what makes a lot of concerts exciting (unless you’re Adele lol). I do get that it can be awkward, but I feel like at worst it’s daring and to me it showed so much personality (despite the fact that they seemed to imply the contrary for Lucy?).

Anyway it’s not that serious because they both made the top 24 so I need to remind myself about that 😭 

But yeah super excited to see what they do next and I’m glad to know they can handle upbeats and ballads; on The Voice, sometimes that’s a concern for fans of contestants because the majority of songs are ballads but most contestants who go far do at least one upbeat.

• Like 3

I suppose I am not yet very used to the way that AI judges handle auditions and feedback. I appreciate that they try to offer criticism, The Voice def needs more of that, but I feel like they just handle it so unprofessionally sometimes? Probably because that’s more “entertaining” for viewers but yeah it takes some adjustment. Tbh I am mainly just listening to the performances but when they do two songs I end up hearing the mid-audition feedback so I guess that’s just how it is.

Anyway… excited for The Voice to start :wub:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I do see how they were like “You have a voice in there, you don’t have to dance, just sing!” But I also felt like they were condescending about it, and frankly a little rude, calling Nutsa a “Vegas Act” (or am I making that up?). 

yeah it definitely does feel a bit condescending and surely there are better ways they could present/adress their critiques!

it's kinda ironic because once Hawaii and live shows start, I guarentee you the judges are gonna start critiquing contestants for their LACK of stage prescene and energy, rather than having too much of it 💀 make up your minds!!!

Edited by m1key

4 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I don’t recall the feedback Cameron got too much but I’m pretty sure he got crap from the judges for “not taking himself seriously”. I know you’re kind of painting it out like the judges have some sort of double standard (and they do! plenty of them!) but in this case I’m not so sure.

5 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I don't recall him doing back flips DURING his performance.  But you have to keep in mind that Cameron was not a professional singer.  And Idol needs to attract those kind of contestants - the diamonds in the rough.  Contrary to Nutsa who is a professional singer with a resume.  Same with Caroline Kole.  And the more experience - the more expectations.

Edited by mytake1

42 minutes ago, m1key said:

I agree that the main reason why the judges criticized Lucy & Nutsa for being over-the-top while not doing the same to Cameron was because they could see that Lucy & Nutsa had a lot more vocal prowess than Cameron.  I also agree with Mytake that Cameron got off lightly compared to Nutsa because he wasn't a professional singer while Nutsa was one with a resume.  But it probably came out wrong.

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

I don’t recall the feedback Cameron got too much but I’m pretty sure he got crap from the judges for “not taking himself seriously”. I know you’re kind of painting it out like the judges have some sort of double standard (and they do! plenty of them!) but in this case I’m not so sure.

mmm you are right i do remember this i think whoops.

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

also this was the Facebook Karen, not any of the judges lol

oh lol that makes sense 😭

3 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I suppose I am not yet very used to the way that AI judges handle auditions and feedback. I appreciate that they try to offer criticism, The Voice def needs more of that, but I feel like they just handle it so unprofessionally sometimes? Probably because that’s more “entertaining” for viewers but yeah it takes some adjustment. Tbh I am mainly just listening to the performances but when they do two songs I end up hearing the mid-audition feedback so I guess that’s just how it is.

Anyway… excited for The Voice to start :wub:

Least someone is (I am, just not the format)

On 2/28/2023 at 2:23 PM, mytake1 said:

I don't recall him doing back flips DURING his performance.  But you have to keep in mind that Cameron was not a professional singer.  And Idol needs to attract those kind of contestants - the diamonds in the rough.  Contrary to Nutsa who is a professional singer with a resume.  Same with Caroline Kole.  And the more experience - the more expectations.

He did it during his T24 performance in Hawaii.

4 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

You're missing the point - if that's all you picked up from my post.

No, I understood your point. I agree with it.. The more you have to give vocally, the more they expect of you.

But you were wrong factually. He did literal backflips during an Idol performance.

Probably should save this for the Unpop op thread...

Nutsa was ALMOST a joke audition for me. IMO She ain't that great and she doesn't have an interesting or unique vocal tone.

She's probably a great dancer and sweetheart but yeah...

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

YOU SANG WHITNEY WOOHOO.

Really? Like... I can be more critical if you guys want. lmao

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to make it to Hollywood but I just wasn't impressed with her vocals. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Also? If it's anything in a grain of salt...

Some of my fave female singers ever on Idol? I hated/didn't believe in their potential at the start.

If she proves to be good in Hollywood and SANG better? Well than great! Maybe she'll end up my only female fave. lol XD

ETA. WE NEED A DANCER ON FREAKING IDOL. LIKE. Shake those hips and move those feet. Why hasn't anyone pop like been on the show? Or even boyband/girlband like? 😅

Edited by KelseyW

11 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

No, I understood your point. I agree with it.. The more you have to give vocally, the more they expect of you.

But you were wrong factually. He did literal backflips during an Idol performance.

I said I didn't recall, which is not the same thing.   I also did not say anything about vocal ability.  Cameron was an 18 yr, working in a garage, who had never sung in public.  But he wasn't a joke contestant.  While Nutsa is 26 and a professional singer with a resume.  Obviously, they will be judge differently.

11 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Probably should save this for the Unpop op thread...

Nutsa was ALMOST a joke audition for me. IMO She ain't that great and she doesn't have an interesting or unique vocal tone.

She's probably a great dancer and sweetheart but yeah...

I kind of agree :ph34rwave:  

She was very old-fashioned. Someone who Simon would’ve called a cruise ship performer in the older seasons. 

I have seen her videos on YouTube and she has an incredible voice, and I do think she’ll get a lot better in front of an audience. But if the audition was my first time seeing her, I would write her off as a Tatiana Del Toro-esque contestant. 

Edited by Carrie_On
  • Like 1