So You Think You Can Dance Season 17

I really liked the short clip I saw of it!!! I like.. first of all having a new choreographer helps instantly because Nakul had a very bad habit of recycling certain steps even if they didn't make sense with the song imo??? Also I feel like the choreography was tailored to the beat of the song in a way that his choreo wasn't always, and this is a very beat-heavy song so I'm very glad.

Also I remember asking his assistant a question on Instagram once and she said the show only allowed them to use <5 year old songs to stay contemporary? But this song was released in late 2011 so I'm curious what changed haha

4 hours ago, Erestor said:

Ugh, the audience voting sucks. :/

What were Alexis and Thiago doing in B4? They had probably one of the best danced routines of the night.

Jordan got really shafted, not only with last week’s poor choreo, but also this week with her partner who brought her down and was still safe over her. :mellow: But with the B4 girls she was sadly the right person to go.

But I can’t understand the decision to eliminate Thiago. He was great in Broadway and one of the better performers as well as technically gfited dancers this season. :( I thought he would be in top 6, maybe even top 4, easily. :broken:

Can we start a petition to eliminate the costumes department team this season istead :ph34rwave: Some of those costume choices are :wacko:

It was a pretty good show though and it turns out we don’t need to have three Contemporaries to have an entertaining show, but yeah… my B4 of the night was the audience & the costumes department. :closedeyes:

I think that what we see on the TV screen is not always what a studio audience sees.  As for Thiago, I think that part of the reason why he left, other than having a hard time connecting in such a way that the studio audience would vote for him, is because he's one of three Contemporary dancers, while Carter's the only male Ballroom dancer.

Anna and Carter – Salsa (Jonathan & Osanka Platero)

Throughout the whole routine I just wanted them to loosen the hell up. They looked so tense! Which is understandable since there were some very tricky, even dangerous lifts involved but it's hard to buy into the sexy Carribean atmosphere when they looked like they were constantly worried about being able to pay off next month's rent. Anna in general with her trademark messy hair bun in the rehearsals reminds me of a disheveled anxious bird - which along with her accent (don't know whethter it's rural or urban-ish as I'm not familiar with California) does make her come off as likeable  and payed off very well for her in her angsty Contemporary last week.

Waverly and Essence – Bollywood (Achinta S. McDaniel)

I love how Essence looks more comfortable with each passing week. This is the spark that I saw back then during her audition! Love her attitude. On the other hand she kind of made Waverly fade  into the background even during what was supposed to be his solo parts.

Beau and Jordan – Viennese Waltz – (Sasha and Emma)

Easily the most asthetically pleasing routine this week. From the red lighting that emulated satin curtains in the backgrounds and the rose chandelier, the classy evening attire (Jordan in the red dress looked absolutely STUNNING), the effortlesseness of it all, especially the way Jordan let herself fall into Beau's arms, just ungh. Glad to see standard ballroom make such a dignified return to the show after last being featured on Season 11.

Ralyn and Keaton – African Jazz (Sean Chessman)

Such a great display of strength and musicality. Incredibly striking opening sequence and the transition from Keaton's backflip into the the synchronized roll with Ralyn looked really neat. Could have done without the baggy pants though that hid Keaton's legs from view.

As expected the producers turned into vultures and seeked out Ralyn as their prey as soon as there was the slightest mention of a crush. Makes sense since pushing for showmance with Ralyn and Keaton's respective previous partners wasn't feasible for obvious reasons.

Alexis and Thiago – Broadway (Al Blackstone)

Obviously excellently executed both regarding the technique and the performance itself. However, I can definitely see why the audience might have not connected with an old-school style of Broadway like this especially since it surprisingly didn't have the usual distinctive elements that make Al Blackstone's choreography somemorable to me.

Eliminations

Not surprised about the Bottom 4 even if I don't necessarily agree. Would have switched out Alexis/Thiago with Anna/Waverly.

A bit sad Thiago's journey was cut short like this since he just missed out on showcasing a solo performance for Top 8 Week, but his partnership with Essence didn't turn out as well as I expected and I wish he had opended up more. I feel like there was some invisible screen that prevented his full personality to shine through.

Jordan finally stood out to me tonight so I'm glad she ended her journey on a high note.

Edited by zyanazur
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, zyanazur said:

Glad to see standard ballroom make such a dignified return to the show after being last being featured on Season 11.

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I just checked and apparently this is true and I never realized. V. Waltz is one of my favorite styles. I thought the waltz was easily the best performance of the night so it was an extra bummers seeing Jordan in the bottom for it. Ugh I should have flown out to attend the show and try to prevent this disaster

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I just checked and apparently this is true and I never realized. V. Waltz is one of my favorite styles. I thought the waltz was easily the best performance of the night so it was an extra bummers seeing Jordan in the bottom for it. Ugh I should have flown out to attend the show and try to prevent this disaster

that shocked me as well. I thought it was the best as well last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RTV said:

I missed having a group number last night.

THIS. (!)

What is their excuse for not having a group routine??????????????????? Has there ever been a week of the show without one since like Season 2??????????????

4 hours ago, RTV said:

I missed having a group number last night. The Salsa was my least favorite dance. I enjoyed the other four routines. It was nice to see a ballroom performance on the show again.

Yeah I said that last night about missing having a group number on the show. 😢 

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

THIS. (!)

What is their excuse for not having a group routine??????????????????? Has there ever been a week of the show without one since like Season 2??????????????

LOL I love how you remember random facts like this. :dead: I always thought each (results) show had a group routine.

But yeah it makes no sense, especially as they were down two more dancers from the previous episodes. So there was still time to fit in an almost 2 minute group dance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

THIS. (!)

I noticed when I was looking at tickets for tapings that a group dance show was scheduled but then canceled. So clearly something must have happened. Perhaps a choreographer fell out. Or maybe the Jordan-COVID scare was wider than we thought?

9 hours ago, Elliott said:

Thiago over Carter????

What kind of blackmail do the Arnold sisters have on this show!? 😐 

I'm not sure that it's the Arnold sisters who ensured that Carter was spared.  I think that it was a combination of Thiago for whatever reason being unable to connect with the studio audience and his being one of three Contemporary dancers (the others being Keaton and Waverly).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buffmetube said:

I noticed when I was looking at tickets for tapings that a group dance show was scheduled but then canceled. So clearly something must have happened. Perhaps a choreographer fell out. Or maybe the Jordan-COVID scare was wider than we thought?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

verrrrrrry interesting. I hope we can sleuth out more

On 6/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, *Amanda said:

I never thought I’d see the day when a SYTYCD episode had no Contemporary duets, given how obsessed with that style the show is. :dead: 

Next week will be a Melanie Moore tribute week to make up for it.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I think that it was a combination of Thiago for whatever reason being unable to connect with the studio audience and his being one of three Contemporary dancers (the others being Keaton and Waverly)

I mean you could say the same about Carter? They were in the bottom together both times.

They also saved Waverly over their only hip-hop dancer last week, so they clearly don’t care about that as much.

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, kritaaay said:

There should be a pinned thread somewhere of all the things IDF more or less agrees on and I suppose thinking Melanie was the worst winner is one of them 

IDF doesn't even agree on that. :dead: