Songs You Want Covered (that won't get covered due to explicit/sexual/etc content)

Someone648

We know that due to the limits and censors on cable television, we will tragically never get a mashup of WAP/S&M in battles.

I know, I'm devastated as well just thinking about what we're missing out on. I'm sure Todd Tilghman's take on the song would've been phenomenal.

But let's reflect on some other songs that would be fantastic to hear on the show, but due to the lyrical content or whatever other reason, it won't make it to TV.

(Although I know some of these may be featured in international versions of the show)

I submit this classic:

and this bop:

A lot of RHCP songs come to mind, especially on their earlier years. Plus you´d have to get a really specific type of artist that could nail songs by them, since they could easily be busses.

"Darling Nikki" by Prince also comes to mind. Hell, a lot of Prince songs.

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High (Arctic Monkeys)

Xanny (Billie Eilish)

Not exactly sure how the censoring of drug use works (I assume there is but idk how strict it is) but I doubt they'd let these two be sung lol

I've got many more but these were the two that came to mind (and have been listening lately)

40 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Not exactly sure how the censoring of drug use works

They allowed this one 

i don't remember, but i think some people were mentioning that Adam and Blake gave criticism about the word "marihuana"(weed) being on the song, which would be stupid, because the last thing the coaches should criticize is the lyrics of the songs (Yes, i'm looking at you too, Xtina, i didn't watch Season 2 but i'm aware that some "incidents" happened there:giggle:

Also, imagine being mad at this song but being perfectly fine with a 15-year old singing "Lady Mermelade" in that same season :stealth:

Btw, this is irrelevant for the topic, but i think Moushumi's performance was over-hated when it aired. It wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be.

Wicked Games by The Weeknd is the firstsong that came to mind.

8 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Btw, this is irrelevant for the topic, but i think Moushumi's performance was over-hated when it aired. It wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be.

I still don't see how it's bad at all. I get that people were disappointed with the song choice, but it was a solid performance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Was it? I wasn´t on IDF at the time, so no idea. I think it was solid, and she clearly won that knockout.

55 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Yeah a lot of songs you can kind of clean up the lyrics a bit or omit certain verses (like You Oughta Know) and others they’ll let in a few non-minivan-friendly lyrics slip in (like New Americana)

Didnt the sources for S19 said Kelsie Watts did the "go down" line? Not surprised it was cut out in the TV airing.

25 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Didnt the sources for S19 said Kelsie Watts did the "go down" line? Not surprised it was cut out in the TV airing.

I recall that I think. Maybe that got cut out? I have only fuzzy memories of the S19 spoilers now lol.

10 hours ago, Daillon said:

Wicked Games by The Weeknd is the firstsong that came to mind.

I couldn't come up with anything for the thread but THIS is the answer. A great song for male modern RnB singers but way too edgy for The Voice.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

"Yer Blues" by The Beatles

Song would be fantastic for a good blues/rock guitar slinger on the show, someone in the veins of Michael Lee or Laith, but it´s straight up a dark, brooding song about feeling suicidal. No way they´re gonna let anyone sing "Yes I´m lonely, I wanna die", or " I feel so suicidal, even hate my rock and roll" on national television.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, Gustavo527 said:

They allowed this one 

i don't remember, but i think some people were mentioning that Adam and Blake gave criticism about the word "marihuana"(weed) being on the song, which would be stupid, because the last thing the coaches should criticize is the lyrics of the songs (Yes, i'm looking at you too, Xtina, i didn't watch Season 2 but i'm aware that some "incidents" happened there:giggle:

Also, imagine being mad at this song but being perfectly fine with a 15-year old singing "Lady Mermelade" in that same season :stealth:

Addison Agen sang a song with the word 'coco' in Blind Auditions at 16
Brendan Fletcher (S11) did too

Edited by Ottoxxx