Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

8. THAT'S WHAT I LIKE – BRUNO MARS

8ceed6dd50d394c19963307b3c63a66e.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 2

ALEX: 6

DEREK: 6

STEVEN: 7

LILY: 9

DIANA: 10

NICO: 10

ANDY: 11

COREY: 11

QK: 11

RICHARD: 12

AKSHAR: 13

GIGI: 15

VICTORIA: 17

CHRIS: 18

WALLACE

tumblr_onrhma0DHJ1w2v9zvo1_500.gif

bruno-mars-thats-what-i-like.gif

Yesss I love "That’s What I Like" by Bruno Mars and this song is MY JAM! :bobo: I do really love this song a ton and it's one of my favorites of 2017.... well, yeah my actual 2nd favorite song of this year so I'm glad I was able to put this through to the voting round. And thank you to everyone who voted it through here. Love you all. ❤️ Anywho, "That’s What I Like" is such a fun jam that makes me smile, jam and happy everytime I hear it. Right from Bruno's opening ad-libs of "Ay, ay, ay" I am already here for it! :bobo: I love Bruno's vocals and just how much straight up fun he's having while singing this song with what he likes!

I got a condo in Manhattan
Baby girl, what's happenin'?
You and your invited
So go on and get to clappin'
So pop it for a player
Pop, pop it for me
Turn around and drop it for a player
Drop, drop it for me
I'll rent a beach house in Miami (-ami)
Wake up with no jammies (Nope) 

You got it if you want it
Got, got it if you want it
Said, you got it if you want it
Take my wallet if you want it now

Jamming! :bobo: Then I love how Bruno sings the pre-chorus of the song that goes: 

Jump in the Cadillac, girl, let's put some miles on it
Anything you want, just to put a smile on it
You deserve it, baby, you deserve it all
And I'm gonna give it to you

You deserve it baby, You deserve it AAAALLLLL!! Bruno giving them vocals! Then I love how the chorus slows down and the song gets down in cool jam mode before getting fun and upbeat again.

Gold jewelry shining so bright
Strawberry champagne on ice
Lucky for you, that's what I like, that's what I like
Lucky for you, that's what I like, that's what I like

:bobo:

I love the whole entire second verse a ton as well. It's so fun, makes me happy and I just love the sound of it!

I'm talkin' trips to Puerto Rico (Bih)
Say the word, and we go (Say it)
You can be my freaka (Brrrt!)
Girl, I'll be your fleeko
Mamacita
I will never make a promise that I can't keep
I promise that your smile ain't gon' never leave

I especially LOVE that part where Bruno sings "I will never make a promise that I can't keep" in a capella. SLAYING them vocals! :omg: Then I also really love the part at the end of the verse where he sings:

Now tell me, who's the fairest?
Is it you? (Is it you?) Is it me? (Is it me?)
Say it's us (Say it's us) and I'll agree, baby

That part just makes me giggle and entertains me. :giggle: Then the bridge comes in and that's another part of the song that is just everything to me. 

If you say you want a good time
Well, here I am, baby, here I am, baby
Talk to me, talk to me, talk to me
Tell me, what's on your mind? (What's on your mind?)
If you want it, girl, come and get it
All this is here for you
Tell me, baby, tell me, tell me, baby
What you tryna do?

That part, and this entire song, definitely gives me 90s R&B vibes... which definitely helps me really love this song. Bruno is seriously serving vocals at that part! His voice and range is just killer! :omg: Then I love and am totally here for those big vocals he delivers towards the end of the song! 

"That's What I Like" is just an incredibly fun and entertaining jam! I also love the music video and while it's not the most elaborate video, it's still a really fun video! I get how this song may not be or appeal to everyone and that's totally fine. I don't know or expect this to rank tooo high but I just hope it doesn't rank last and hopefully can avoid the first set. But regardless, I'm just glad to have and see this make the Top 20 regardless!

STEVEN

This is such a fun jam. Bruno's delivery here is excellent. He manages to showcase how talented of a vocalist he is while also having a ton of fun too. Although I do like "24K Magic" better and would've preferred that one in our Top 20 if we could only have one, I still like "That's What I Like" a lot and always enjoy listening to it.

ANDY

24k Magic >>> But Bruno is so talented whether you like his music or not, you should be able to admit that fact.

COREY

Sweet sounding vocals, but it's a bit sparse for my taste.

RICHARD

This isn’t my favorite Bruno Mars song. It’s definitely somewhat of a fun listen, and the production is good, but I’ve just never really been drawn to this one overall. Still better than a good handful of the others that made it, though.

7. LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO – TAYLOR SWIFT

bcd1ae9927c14b71b487d00cb4fa1b8c.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 1

DIANA: 2

STEVEN: 2

RICHARD: 3

CHRIS: 6

AKSHAR: 7

ANDY: 9

COREY: 13

LILY: 13

VICTORIA: 13

WALLACE: 13

QK: 15

ALEX: 17

DEREK: 19

NICO: 20

STEVEN

"Look What You Made Me Do" is a song that had to grow on me. I don't consider it one of Taylor's best songs by any means, but I grew to really like it in a guilty pleasure sort of way. I think knowing the background of what Taylor is singing about adds to the enjoyment of the song. The music video is very clever too, especially the end with all the past Taylors. "Look What You Make Me Do" is a fun song, and I think it's cool when Taylor shows this side of herself with her music.

RICHARD

I see this one getting some really polarizing rankings. Personally, it’s not my favorite from Taylor, but I do appreciate a good villain song, and she does that really well here. It’s interesting how she plays both the victim and the bad guy, which while clearly toxic is also really compelling. The track overall is very dynamic sonically and production-wise, which makes for a much more intriguing listen than pretty much any of the other songs in this top 20.

ANDY

Not one of Taylor's best but the iconery can't be ignored

COREY

Taylor gets tons of points here for originality, but that's about all this song has going for it. There's no melody to speak of, and if it wasn't for her cooing, I could almost call it rap, which is not a compliment in my book. Also, the chorus is a tongue twister - just try saying it in one breath.

WALLACE

taylor-swift-look-what-you-made-me-do.gif

Lol I know "Look What You Made Me Do" is certainly up there as one of Taylor's most polarizing songs. I know some love it but I also know many dislike it. Although I'm moreso on the love it side. I personally love this edgier fiesty side of Taylor that she showed in this song and in the reputation era, tbh. I felt she was channeling a different side of her pop star status with this song. I do love the hard hitting beat of this song and how Taylor sings on it with so much attitude. She starts the opening verse in a dark and haunting way, which I do really like here. But I do love how the song builds up on the pre-chorus where she sings:

But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time
Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time
I've got a list of names and yours is in red, underlined
I check it once, then I check it twice, oh!

Then I also really love the chorus and think that part of the song is so fun where she sings:

Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do
Look what you just made me do
Look what you just made me
Ooh, look what you made me do
Look what you made me do

I do really love the second verse, but I especially love the second half of that verse where she sings:

Locked me out and threw a feast (What?)
The world moves on, another day, another drama, drama
But not for me, not for me, all I think about is karma
And then the world moves on, but one thing's for sure
Maybe I got mine, but you'll all get yours

That part is SO much fun, I love it! :bobo: Then I also really love the bridge of the song, which has such a dark and haunting quality to it, where she sings:

I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
I don't trust nobody and nobody trusts me
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams

But then the phone conversation part of the song.... that part just cracks me up and just so out there.  "I'm sorry, the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now." "Why?" "Oh, 'cause she's dead!" (Oh!) Oh Taylor. 

I know "Look What You Made Me Do" may be polarizing in general, but I know many people really love the music video, which is very entertaining. It's probably up there as amongst my favorite videos of hers too. I'm definitely curious to see how this song does here. I do see it getting some polarizing rankings and I don't see this doing as well as her 1989 singles. I question whether if this can make the Top 10.... I think it's possible but I'm not positive.

ALEX

I might’ve had it a bit higher if not for that AWFUL cringe phone line.

6. FEELS – CALVIN HARRIS FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS, KATY PERRY, AND BIG SEAN

a5116145dae7371f8239919f1cbe8a14.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2

COREY: 3

ALEX: 4

ANDY: 4

NICO: 6

QK: 7

VICTORIA: 7

LILY: 8

WALLACE: 10

AKSHAR: 14

DIANA: 14

RICHARD: 15

STEVEN: 15

CHRIS: 17

DEREK: 20

COREY

Calvin Harris produces those awesome fast-paced dance beats, and Katy Perry interjects with her part at just the right times, with a lot of cool noises in between. My favorite part of the lyrics is where Katy sings about catching fish. I guess Calvin needed encouragement to get on the fishing boat? I can't unhear those lyrics, even if they're wrong.

ALEX

There was this snapchat filter that played this song and it became a Thing for me and my friends for some reason. So I’m loyal to it.

ANDY

Calvin knows how to churn out the hits. This song is breezy and fun.

WALLACE

DeterminedEnormousBernesemountaindog-max

e62n6M.gif

ImpeccableAnguishedGartersnake-max-1mb.g

"Feels" is a really fun, smooth and funky jam! And wow what a powerhouse collaboration this song is with Calvin Harris, Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry and Big Sean. You wouldn't normally think of all of these people on a song together... or well, maybe you would. :haha: But I did really like this Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 era from Calvin Harris as he explored funkier style of music with his music/collaborations. I enjoy what all of Pharrell, Katy and Big Sean bring to this song as well. I am kinda shocked this is Pharrell's first appearance in this Top 20, but it's so long overdue. (And justice for "Happy," y'all... :loudly crying face: ). Anywho, I looove the funky beat to this song. This song is so fun and just makes me so happy. :bobo: I love how Pharrell starts off singing the start of the song. I especially love the parts where he sings (most of which is the pre-chorus):

So I respect you, wanna take it slow 

Do you mind if I steal a kiss? (Chop, chop)
A little souvenir, can I steal it from you?
To memorize the way you shock me
The way you move it here (Hey)
Just wanna feel it from you (Hey)

I love Katy's part on the chorus. She sounds quite hot on her part of the song, which is also really fun and catchy! 

Don't be afraid to catch feels
Ride drop top and chase thrills (Hey)
I know you ain't afraid to pop pills (Hey)
Baby, I know you ain't scared to catch feels
Feels with me

Big Sean does his thing on the song and provides a really fun rap verse here. Some of my favorite parts from Big Sean are where he raps:

I know you love to make an entrance
Do you like getting paid or getting paid attention? 

In the same bed, but it still feel long distance
She's looking for a little more consistency
But when you stop looking you gon' find what's meant to be
And honestly, I'm way too done with the h**s
I cut off all my exes for your x and o's 

Fly in first-class through the air, Airbnb
I'm the best you had, you just be comparing me to me
I'mma 'at' this at you, if I put you on my phone
And upload it, it'll get maximum views

Then I like how Katy and Big Sean does the chorus towards at the end of the song, well moreso with Katy singing it and Big Sean doing some rap ad-libs. But "Feels" is such a fun, feel good jam! This wasn't a song I was necessairly pushing for to make the finals but I'm glad it made it as I do love this song. :bobo: I have no idea where "Feels" will rank... I don't see it ranking too high but I think it will do better than "Slide," which I'm kinda hoping for so we'll see what happens.

RICHARD

Like “Slide,” this is just elevator music. Slightly better elevator music because of the Katy Perry feature, but still just elevator music.

STEVEN

Somehow I have no memory of this song. Maybe I heard this song before, but it's not ringing any bells. Anyway, the song does have a nice summery feel to it. It's an enjoyable listen, although it doesn't make much of an impact on me now to want to hear it again. Maybe it could grow on me though. 

5. THERE'S NOTHING HOLDIN' ME BACK – SHAWN MENDES

2ef6100ef6f4657cc6ea6af8fca1590e.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 1

DEREK: 3

WALLACE: 3

DIANA: 5

VICTORIA: 6

RICHARD: 7

AKSHAR: 9

CHRIS: 10

GIGI: 11

STEVEN: 12

ALEX: 13

QK: 14

LILY: 15

ANDY: 17

NICO: 19

COREY

This song is fast-paced, soulful, original, and energetic all at once. There could be no other #1 from this list.

WALLACE

0f36e75d21855784f4d9e8caa513b4c0.gif

I feel a little surprised that Shawn Mendes hasn't had a song in the Final 20 yet, but it's nice he finally gets an appearance here. Also if a Shawn Mendes song was going to make it to the Top 20, I'm really glad that it's "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" as I do consider this my favorite song of Shawn's! This is a really fun, catchy and great pop song. I do like how Shawn sings the opening verse in a calm deep lower register of his voice there. It's a good way to start off the song. I do like how he slowly builds it up on the pre-chorus where he sings:

She pulls me in enough to keep me guessing, mmm
And maybe I should stop and start confessing
Confessing, yeah

But then I really love it where he really builds up the song on the chorus and really belts it and SANGS it! 

Oh, I've been shaking
I love it when you go crazy
You take all my inhibitions
Baby, there's nothing holdin' me back
You take me places that tear up my reputation
Manipulate my decisions

There's nothing holdin' me back
There's nothing holdin' me back

Such a fun and catchy chorus there! :bobo: I love the power he has in his voice there too. From the second verse, I like the part where he sings:

She says that she's never afraid
Just picture everybody naked

The bridge is another strong and standout part of the song where Shawn sings: 

'Cause if we lost our minds
And we took it way too far
I know we'd be alright,
Know we would be alright 

If you were by my side
And we stumbled in the dark
I know we'd be alright,
I know we would be alright

He repeats that part twice but I especially love the part where he sings it the second time, as he provides more of that strong vocal power. Then I also love how he closes the song with those closing ad-libs he does that goes:

I feel so free
When you're with me,
Baby

I love how the music intensifies at that part and how he sings like two words at the time at that "I feel. So free. When you're. With me. Baby." :bobo: But yeah "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" is a great, fun and catchy song that I do really love from Shawn Mendes. I have no idea how this will do but it did get a lot of votes in the voting round so hopefully it can do well. I think it has great potential to make the Top 10 but I'm not sure where it will land.

RICHARD

This was the first of Shawn’s singles to have a little more bite to it, so I’m glad it’s also the first of his singles to make the top 20 here. I love the guitar work in the background and the overall Latin feel. Shawn sounds great on the track, too. There’s a lot of richness to his voice in his lower register and a good amount of power in his upper register.

STEVEN

This song is fine. It is catchy, and I like the fast phrasing in the chorus. However, there are other Shawn Mendes songs I would've rather have seen make it to the Top 20, like "Stitches" and "Mercy." I wouldn't have been bothered if this one missed out, yet it's the first Shawn Mendes song to make it to the end. 

ALEX

It’s giving fodder.

4. MALIBU – MILEY CYRUS

1150812ea3cb574770523308d15b8965.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

ANDY: 5

COREY: 5

DIANA: 6

GIGI: 6

QK: 6

LILY: 7

RICHARD: 8

CHRIS: 9

ALEX: 11

VICTORIA: 11

DEREK: 12

NICO: 13

STEVEN: 14

WALLACE: 18

ANDY

Miley knocks it out of the park with this song, this song has a super nostalgic vibe to it which I love

COREY

Miley's song flips between being comforting, and danceable, and both parts are excellent.

RICHARD

An interesting change of pace for Miley. I appreciate the mellow, contented feeling behind this song, and overall, I find the composition here quite intriguing. This definitely isn’t Miley’s most memorable song, but I like that she brought something different and refreshing.

ALEX

One step closer to Miley’s Plastic Hearts era…we can do it!

STEVEN

The song has a nice, pleasant sound to it. It's kind of forgettable to me, but I don't mind it. Maybe it could've grown on me with more listens, but this isn't a song I ever sought out to listen to.

WALLACE

original.gif

"Malibu" is a really nice and pretty song from Miley Cyrus. As I've said and have shown through this game, I'm quite particular and picky when it comes to Miley's music. I do really like this song and it's probably one of my favorites from her though I do still prefer a few other songs from her. Miley does sound pretty here and showcases a nice sense of vulnerability in her voice here. I do really like the latter half of the first verse where she sings:

I always thought I would sink, so I never swam
I never went boatin', don't get how they are floatin'
And sometimes I get so scared
Of what I can't understand

Then from the chorus, I really like the parts where she sings:

In Malibu
Next to you
In Malibu
Next to you, baby

Yeah I do like "Malibu" overall, but I guess it kinda stays one level for me and I would like it if the song had a few more dynamics throughout..... which probably hinders it from ranking higher for me? But it's nice, pleasant and enjoyable. And I can get how some people can love it. I'm sure this will do quite well, as Miley songs have done well here - probably will fall in the middle section of the list or within the Top 8? We'll see.

3. HAVANA – CAMILA CABELLO FEAT. YOUNG THUG

4a7f6078a3caf19c9f8308687768cc50.1000x1000x1.png 

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 3

GIGI: 4

VICTORIA: 4

WALLACE: 4

QK: 5

AKSHAR: 6

DEREK: 8

ALEX: 9

RICHARD: 9

LILY: 11

ANDY: 13

CHRIS: 13

STEVEN: 13

NICO: 14

COREY: 15

WALLACE

tumblr_oybygzrem41qee9ito1_500.gif

I really liked or loved a number of Camila Cabello songs (whether they were her own or songs she was featured on), but "Havana" was that really big and massive song that I felt she truly put a name for herself as a solo artist. "Havana" is up there as amongst one of my favorite Camila songs, if not my actual favorite song of hers. I do change my mind between this and a few other songs of hers. I love the sensual Latin Pop vibe of the song, which is a genre that works perfectly for Camila. I love how Camila sings the opening of the chorus that goes:

Havana, ooh na-na (ay)
Half of my heart is in Havana, ooh-na-na (ay, ay)
He took me back to East Atlanta, na-na-na
Oh, but my heart is in Havana (ay)
There's somethin' 'bout his manners (uh huh)
Havana, ooh na-na

SO fun and catchy! :bobo: I love how she sings the verses. Some of my standout favorite parts she sings on the first verse are where she sings:

He didn't walk up with that "how you doin'?" 

I knew him forever in a minute

Then I also really love how she sings the pre-chorus of the song that goes:

Ooh... I knew it when I met him
I loved him when I left him
Got me feelin' like
Ooh... and then I had to tell him
I had to go, oh na-na-na-na-na

I'm usually hit or miss with Young Thug but I do enjoy this verse on this song. I'm not too crazy about the first half of his verse where I can't really understand him but I do love the latter half of his verse where he raps:

Back it on me, shawty cravin' on me
Get to eatin' on me (on me)
She waited on me (then what?)
Shawty cakin' on me, got the bacon on me (wait up)
This is history in the makin' on me (on me) 

If it cost a million, that's me (that's me)
I was gettin' mula, pretty baby

LOL I especially love how he raps "If it cost a million, that's me." That million sounds like "milian," which always cracks me up. :haha:

I think it's the bridge of the song but I do love those ad-libs that Camila sings there:

Ooh na-na, oh na-na-na
Take me back, back, back like
Ooh na-na, oh na-na-na
Take me back, back, back like

I love how Camila sings the rest of the song and the music/beat of the song with how that progresses. It's all so good and fun to jam along to! :bobo: I also really love the "Havana" music video. It's a lot of fun! And the telenovela theme is fun and hilarious! :haha: I am curious to see how "Havana" ranks here. I know and get that Camila is polarizing, so I expect this song to get polarizing rankings - with a mixture of high and low rankings. I'm hoping this song ranks well.

ALEX

The instrumentals did not need to slap this hard.

RICHARD

This stands out from a lot of the others because of the Latin flair behind it. Camila sings it well, the production is good, just overall a solid song. Definitely could have done without Young Thug’s part, though.

ANDY

Camila is a non-entity to me unfortunately. This song was everywhere when it came out. I grew tired of it quickly though I did like it upon its release

STEVEN

"Havana" is fine. It's a song that was overplayed on the radio, and I wouldn't consider this a favorite of mine. But I like the Latin feel of the song, and the music video is funny too. 

COREY

This song is hypnotic, and I often find myself singing it. It's not a great song, but the tempo is fast enough to keep me from being annoyed, and it gives off an air of mystery.

2. PRAYING – KESHA

f36275f8821d8d3b2db55e0cf9231d13.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

DEREK: 1

RICHARD: 2

GIGI: 3

NICO: 3

AKSHAR: 4

STEVEN: 4

LILY: 6

ANDY: 7

WALLACE: 11

CHRIS: 16

COREY: 16

QK: 16

DIANA: 20

VICTORIA: 20

ALEX

Literally a moment in history. I remember where I was the first time I heard this. I think and hope this is one of the few 2010’s songs that will have legit cultural impact decades in the future.

RICHARD

If I had to predict what’s going to come on top, I’d put my money on this one. It’s such a departure from any of Kesha’s past material. Very raw and heartfelt, if not the most lyrically original. There’s just so much anguish in her voice, especially in the second verse and bridge. I can even hear hints of Adele in the way she approaches the song. Really, the only thing I don’t love about the song is some of the production in the second half, but otherwise, it’s a great track from Kesha.

STEVEN

This is an amazing song from Kesha. She really pours her heart out and showcases how talented she is. I like how the song builds and ends with her belting with such passion. I expected this song to win in a landslide, so imagine my surprise when those low rankings were coming in. This would've been a deserving winner, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

ANDY

Ugh, this song is going to win I can just feel it. I think Kesha's voice sounds super strained here and I remember tanking this in the Kesha round but I'll give it its due here because the story behind it is wonderful.

WALLACE

tumblr_osqj0fcadW1spkzgko1_500.gif

"Praying" is such a beautiful, raw, emotional and vulnerable song from Kesha. Although she showed this side of her in some of her previous album tracks, I feel she never really got to show this side of her in her singles. Kesha had certainly been through a lot personally in her career, so it was really powerful of her to release such a heartfelt and vulnerable song like this to really express herself. It's both beautiful and heartbreaking but it definitely makes you feel. Kesha really surprised me with her vocal delivery here and I feel this is the most beautiful i have ever heard her sung. She sings the opening verse in such a dark and haunting way where and I like the haunting quality she sings that part of the song. I especially like the part where she sings: I can thank you for how strong I have become.

I love how she slowly builds up the song on the pre-chorus where she sings: 

'Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell
I had to learn how to fight for myself
And we both know all the truth I could tell
I'll just say this is I wish you farewell

But then I really love how she builds up the song even more on the chorus where she pours her heart and belts out that chorus that goes: 

I hope you're somewhere praying, praying
I hope your soul is changing, changing
I hope you find your peace
Falling on your knees, praying

So beautiful. ❤️ Then from the second verse, I love the parts where Kesha sings:

And you said that I was done
Well, you were wrong and now the best is yet to come
'Cause I can make it on my own
And I don't need you, I found a strength I've never known

Gah just wow... she makes you feel so much vulnerable and intense emotion in this song. :omg: Ooh and I mentioned loving the chorus earlier on but I really love how she sings the chorus later on in the song where she really belts out all of what she's singing! :omg: But then that bridge of the song.... dangg that is insanely powerful.

Oh, sometimes, I pray for you at night
Oh, someday, maybe you'll see the light
Oh, some say, in life you gonna get what you give
But some things, only God can forgive

And woww at that big high note she hits after the bridge. :omg:

"Praying" is truly a groundbreaking and amazing song from Kesha. It's kind of one of those songs I feel I can't listen to too much as it's quite emotional and can get me sad sometimes. But as for predictions, I always felt like this song was going to be that obvious (and deserving) winner for the 2017 round. I don't really know which song can beat this, especially since I think some of this song's biggest threats were cut. I feel like this can win in a landslide, in fact. Also Kesha came in 2nd twice in the past (which surprised me in both cases), that I think if she were to win a round, I think this song will be the one to achieve that. Maybe Derek will have some pull in it considering and depending on if he tanks the right threats to this. :giggle:

COREY

Kesha sounds like she matured immensely when she composed this song, but to me, it's simply lacking what she does best: high speed, energetic dance pop. In other words, she sold out, and it didn't pay off. For a Kesha song it's terrible, but it does have a certain enigmatic power in it.

1. SIGN OF THE TIMES – HARRY STYLES

be9d87b26aec0dafba6bcf3e47a33ba2.220x220x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

RICHARD: 1

VICTORIA: 1

NICO: 2

ALEX: 3

ANDY: 3

CHRIS: 4

LILY: 4

STEVEN: 6

GIGI: 7

AKSHAR: 10

DIANA: 13

QK: 13

DEREK: 14

WALLACE: 15

COREY: 17

RICHARD

Genuinely a great song, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it win. It’d be pretty cool to see two 1D-ers win back to back, especially since the group’s track record in this thread wasn’t great when they were together.

But yeah, this song is pretty terrific. It just feels very grand and almost epic, especially when Harry’s voice powers through the chorus and especially in that final minute. The production is great, too; bombastic enough to complement Harry’s big moments, but simultaneously simple enough to let his voice shine. Just a pretty stellar debut single overall.

ALEX

I fear Harry peaked here. Such a gorgeous song and vocal.

ANDY

Could a second song from a former 1D member win? I'd be happy if it were Sign of the Times. Easily my favorite Harry song, it's so melancholy and gorgeous.

STEVEN

"Sign of the Times" is a song that had to grow on me. There are other Harry Styles songs I listen to more, but there's no denying how impressive this song is. Harry really shows how talented he is on this track. "Sign of the Times" has such a grandiose feel to it, and Harry sings with a lot of conviction. I especially like the chorus, but Harry sounds fantastic from beginning to end here. This probably wasn't what most would've expected from Harry's first solo single, but maybe it's what Harry needed to release for the doubters to take him seriously as a solo artist. "Sign of the Times" is a great song, and it's a worthy winner for this round.

WALLACE

7e39e560-4b50-4543-8069-73a75012f329_tex

Maybe an unpopular opinion or not, I don't know but I wasn't really much of a fan of Harry Styles' first solo album, or at least the songs I heard from it - OUTSIDE of this song. I do think "Sign of the Times" was a great debut single from him, but I did prefer most of the other One Direction guys lead singles over this one. :ph34rwave: But this has also become one of those songs I've come to appreciate and grown to like even more over the years. The soft (Brit) Pop/Rock style does work well with Harry's voice. This song kinda reminds me of something like Oasis' "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" or something of that genre. I do really like how Harry starts off singing the song where he sings:

Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
Welcome to the final show
Hope you're wearing your best clothes 

You look pretty good down here
But you ain't really good

I'm kinda iffy on the falsetto parts he sings. It's grown on me overtime but not my favorite part. :ph34rwave: But I do love the part where he powers through the chorus where he belts out singing:

Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
We gotta get away from here
Just stop your crying
It'll be alright
They told me that the end is near

Oooh wow I also realized and forgot how long the song is... it's quite a long song, lol. But okay, I do love the bridge and think that's a great and powerful part of the song. I love where Harry sings:

We don't talk enough
We should open up
Before it's all too much
Will we ever learn?
We've been here before
It's just what we know

SANG IT, HARRY! :omg: Then I also like how he sings those ad-libs and hits those big notes as the song continues on. He delivers some great powerful vocals there. Listening to this again, makes me appreciate it more than I remembered. Ugh I wish I could have ranked this higher but sadly I just love the other songs I ranked above this more. The music video is also really interesting. I do have a feeling that this song will rank really well but I can't figure out where. But I am also curious how Harry vs. Niall will go down here.

COREY

Harry Styles wanted to be John Lennon in this song. The song does have the effect of sounding important, but it's not enough to raise Harry to the lofty heights of respect he seems to crave.

3 hours ago, Qorey said:

I call Taylor for another #1, but also as Derek's #20, so I'm not sure whether those two things are compatible. We'll see, I guess.

"Look What You Made Me Do" is wayy too polarizing to win. :dead: But I also thought it would have shown up before 8th sooo what do I know? :haha: 

3 hours ago, rdhaley96 said:

If mediocre songs like "Die Young" can rank #2, there's no way an actually good song like "Praying" isn't taking this, lol.

Haven't seen what's been posted yet but totally thinking "Praying" is winning. I feel very positive on it. :haha: 

LOL I'm so behind but doing one of my favorite activities of playing catch up now! :wub: 

8. Ooh, I was actually not expecting "That's What I Like" to do this well and make it to 8th so in that way, I'm really happy with how high this made it. 😄 Though of course I wish it could have pushed a little higher but yeah I thought this might have missed the Top 10 so I will take this ranking. Oh and just my lone Top 5 ranking and still 8th... that's still so good. 7 out of 15 Top 10 ranks, also not mad at that. And ooo lots of #10s and #11s here. I get Steven preferring "24K Magic." I do love both but always felt partial towards this one. Also glad to see Andy giving Bruno props on his musical talent. ❤️

7. I'm actually really surprised about Taylor's "Look What You Made Me Do" making it to 7th as I thought this was a really polarizing song from her that even her biggest fans are mixed on. But yeah 7th was still better than I thought so well done here. OMGG it's crazyy seeing all of those #13s - 4 of them in fact. 😮 Steven and Richard explain the song really well in their thoughts.... and agree with a lot of what they said here. :yes: LMAO Alex's comment on the phone part. :dead:

6. OMG I forgot that "Feels" was still in. Whoaa, I was NOT expecting this to rank and make it all the way to 6th. :shock: Also didn't expect this to be Derek's #20 but I had no idea what would have been. Wow this got 9 Top 10 ranks, which is really impressive and yeah wasn't expecting that for this. "A a lot of cool noises in between"..... what is that all about Corey? :dead: lol Richard back with the elevator music comment. :lmao:

5. Oooh wow I also was not really expecting Shawn Mendes' "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" to come in 5th but a really impressive showing for Shawn here. Rankings seem all over the place but lots of higher ranks than lower ones - 8 Top 10 ranks is really good for this. I agree with a lot of Richard's comments here. Like Steven, I wouldn't have minded if some other Shawn songs made it to the finals here but I am glad this one did.

Spots remaining: 4, 11, 15, 18

LMAO this had to have been the worst I've ever done. :dead: I was kinda expecting that, tbh lol. Though my #11 could have been in my Top 10 but I didn't really have space for it.