Best (and Worst) Strategic Moves on The Voice?

Bouli

6 hours ago, season1 said:

Blake didn't fodderize a couple of his KO steals before (S7 Craig and S8 Hannah). He even won with one KO steal in S7 (though CWB  was a "steal back").

Blake was definitely different with his team pre-season 9. After that, he stuck with his original members almost all the time, with Chloe and Paris being the only two to survive playoffs without needing a wildcard, and both made finale.

On that note, another worst strategic move was Miley trying to win with a female country singer, and pushing Ashland through over better performances (she picked her over Chloe’s Landslide performance, and then over Moriah, who everyone including Miley’s mother wanted in Miley’s T3). Ashland ended up getting eliminated in the T10 and left Miley with only one Semifinalist, when she had such a strong team post-blinds

Edited by Cookie73
  • Like 7

As for s16 still, Maelyn singing Hallelujah in the finale probably boosted her chances against three country male artists.

Also I remember that was told she would sing Kacey if she ended up being in the IS, which is also a smart move as country songs attract votes like gospel ones.

That said, I hope Wendy has a country ballad and also an upbeat gospel in the finale to surpass GNT 😍

• Like 2

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned–Kelly's decision to give the Coach's Saves Shane Q, Gihanna Zoë, and Gymani. 

What often drives me insane about the way coaches use their CS is the fact that it's almost never used in a strategic manner to give an edge to a contestant who didn't necessarily place as the highest of the remaining contestant who didn't receive PVs. Blake Shelton could have won literally any of the Playoff Wildcard votes every season after Season 17 (besides the one he actually did) if he actually advanced artists on his team that performed well, but would inevitably get lost in the shuffle simply due to their demographic. Ricky Braddy, Sid Kingsley, Anna Grace, and Libianca are four artists with one thing in common: they really shouldn't have been immediately eliminated after their respective performances. I think Gwen was also definitely guilty of this at least during S19–Ben Allen would've absolutely won the wildcard vote, but Payge Turner never had a chance.

The reason why Kelly gets the edge after the Playoffs in so many seasons is as simple as strategic artist selection. There is no doubt in my mind that Hello Sunday, Corey Ward, and especially Hailey Mia outplaced the artists who received the CS in their respective seasons in terms of the vote itself, and Kelly probably knows that. With such a good understanding of how popular her artists are, she's sent artists into the gladiator ring that actually stand a chance at winning the wildcard–and who subsequently do. It's not a mistake that she's won 3/5 of the Wildcards since its inception in Season 17–she knows her artists well enough to know how to plan around it and ensure she has that extra spot in the Lives.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, peachfuz said:

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned–Kelly's decision to give the Coach's Saves Shane Q, Gihanna Zoë, and Gymani. 

What often drives me insane about the way coaches use their CS is the fact that it's almost never used in a strategic manner to give an edge to a contestant who didn't necessarily place as the highest of the remaining contestant who didn't receive PVs. Blake Shelton could have won literally any of the Playoff Wildcard votes every season after Season 17 (besides the one he actually did) if he actually advanced artists on his team that performed well, but would inevitably get lost in the shuffle simply due to their demographic. Ricky Braddy, Sid Kingsley, Anna Grace, and Libianca are four artists with one thing in common: they really shouldn't have been immediately eliminated after their respective performances. I think Gwen was also definitely guilty of this at least during S19–Ben Allen would've absolutely won the wildcard vote, but Payge Turner never had a chance.

The reason why Kelly gets the edge after the Playoffs in so many seasons is as simple as strategic artist selection. There is no doubt in my mind that Hello Sunday, Corey Ward, and especially Hailey Mia outplaced the artists who received the CS in their respective seasons in terms of the vote itself, and Kelly probably knows that. With such a good understanding of how popular her artists are, she's sent artists into the gladiator ring that actually stand a chance at winning the wildcard–and who subsequently do. It's not a mistake that she's won 3/5 of the Wildcards since its inception in Season 17–she knows her artists well enough to know how to plan around it and ensure she has that extra spot in the Lives.

Now, THIS IS STRATEGY, and not some "Singing religious songs to get votes" BS 🙄

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Now, THIS IS STRATEGY, and not some "Singing religious songs to get votes" BS 🙄

I don't think religious music in and of itself isn't strategic, honestly. I don't think it's as much of a juggernaut as this thread seems to be implying, but The Voice is an inherently secular show that attracts a lot of non-secular viewers, and voter pandering, while not unheard of, is still perfectly viable. The inclusion of "Amazing Grace" in Lana Scott's semis performance was a move to attract more voters, even if it wasn't an altogether successful one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cookie73 said:

On that note, another worst strategic move was Miley trying to win with a female country singer, and pushing Ashland through over better performances (she picked her over Chloe’s Landslide performance, and then over Moriah, who everyone including Miley’s mother wanted in Miley’s T3). Ashland ended up getting eliminated in the T10 and left Miley with only one Semifinalist, when she had such a strong team post-blinds

Maybe Miley saw Ashland's potential for post-show success that's why she picked her to advance in the live rounds. 🙂 Ashland is now signed to Big Loud Records and just released her debut album. (Other Voice alumni on the label include Morgan Wallen and Jake Worthington). 

I think Miley's support for Ashland could have paid off if she was given better songs during the season.

6 minutes ago, season1 said:

Maybe Miley saw Ashland's potential for post-show success that's why she picked her to advance in the live rounds. 🙂 Ashland is now signed to Big Loud Records and just released her debut album. (Other Voice alumni on the label include Morgan Wallen and Jake Worthington). 

I think Miley's support for Ashland could have paid off if she was given better songs during the season.

That’s certainly true, but, historically speaking, some of the most successful country artists who’ve come from the show didn’t even make it past the playoffs. Morgan Wallen, Kameron Marlowe, and Andrew Jannakos all have had pretty solid careers so far.

• Like 1

Religious songs could backfire if the audience percieves the move as not sincere. 

As for the strategic WC move, that is indeed why Kelly went for the less popular artists as her save and left more popular ones for the WC, since they had a bigger shot. (HS, Corey, Hailey).

Blake actually tried that move on S17, saving Cali instead of Gracee, but it didnt work out, and I'm sure he must have been shocked. Since it didnt happen, he probably just gave up on it and now simply chooses the artist he wants to move on forward as his CS. He's not risking it again. 

• 1 year later...

There are many opinions about strategic moves but the only one (I know of) that was known to be a strategic move was Gracee Shriver.  That's where Blake said "I'm being strategic here" when he picked Cali Wilson over Gracee.  How did that work for you Blake? 

1 hour ago, Spurrious said:

There are many opinions about strategic moves but the only one (I know of) that was known to be a strategic move was Gracee Shriver.  That's where Blake said "I'm being strategic here" when he picked Cali Wilson over Gracee.  How did that work for you Blake? 

I think Blake should have kept the "strategic" part, for himself. 

• Like 1