SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (US10) (Round 2)

.Rei

CA2 RESULTS FINAL PART

4. Jayme Rae Dailey & Daniel Dory - "Pucker Up" - (Hip-Hop by Luther Brown)

7dibmz.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

@totes4totes - 2

@.Rei - 3

@Zoey - 3

@kritaaay - 5

@*Wallace - 7

@Deeee - 8

@Erestor - 8

@FrogLenzen - 9

@taylorkat - 11

@*Chris - 14

@*Diana - 15

Public - 20 ( @Alex95-18,@JC-19)

Avg. Score = 8.75

COMMENTS

Megan

I really was debating between this, "So Fine" and "Turnin' Me On" I wanted to put in this #2 spot and after rewatching all three routines, I decided that my #2 spot goes to "Pucker Up." Ugh, I feel so bad ranking this at #2 when it's really 1b to "To Build a Home"'s 1a. The internal conflict!!!! LOL I might switch it up. I don't know. Only REI will know this internal conflict I have. Luther is such a GOOD choreographer. And I feel that we think of this routine and Melanie/Cody as kind of quintessential Luther. Like really hot, straight up hip-hop with not a lot of tricks or anything else a less good dancer can hide behind. And there are plenty of examples of that. My favorite SYTYCD youtube comment of all time is Jade Zuberi after he got eliminated commenting on Comfort/Paul's routine "Disney Hip-Hop" and honestly that's so much of what hip-hop on the US version of the show is. And Luther's routines are decidedly not that. And not just because they can be decidedly PG-13 (honestly, probably what kept Luther off the US for so long). They require a certain level of authenticity in the performance. And there are A LOT of dancers that can't bring that. Luckily for us, Jayme Rae and Daniel are dancers that clearly have experience in this. They aren't afraid of the sexuality nor are they afraid of the choreography. They sit in the pocket of the music and hit everything. (The best side-by-side of this is Tamina and Joey. Joey is technically hitting all the choreography on beat and gives a fine SYTYCD but just compare to Tamina doing the same thing. Or compare a routine like this to Serge and Carly in S11 with "Senile."). I'm saying a lot here that I basically can just copy and paste right on to Cody/Melanie as well.

Rei

An absolute perfect routine!! Pucker Up just stands as one of the greatest hip hop ever from any series! Flawless stuff from Daniel and queen JR :wub:

Kriti

My notes on this are virtually identical to those on So Fine, so I'll repeat them because I don't know which one will show up first: they look like they belong in a music video! Also I just miss the days when hip-hop routines were allowed to be grimy like this.

Wallace

Jayme Rae & Daniel killed it with another sexy Hip-Hop/esque routine, though this is actually Hip-Hop. But yeah, I love the hot chemistry they bring together here. Jayme Rae is so hot and fierce. Daniel is so cool and has killer swagger. Well both have so much swagger. I love all of their side by side dancing and all of the dancing they do together. But oh wow, they definitely do a lot of sexual moves but they reallly sell it so well. :dead: But this was another standout routine that I loved from them. :bobo:

Dee

True perfection.

Derek

We are all winners on this blessed day. JR continuing her iconic fashion journey with these costumes

Public

JC

Daniel's abs UNF Ugh why could he not have been paired with MelMah. I feel bad about this one because it's great but it has JR in it. Daniel literally makes me drop my panties when he moves at all in this UNF.

3. Melanie Mah & Vincent Desjardins - "Conquest" - (Paso Doble by Francis Lafreniere and Natalie Reznick)

7dic0g.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Public - 2 (JC-1, Alex-5)

Derek - 3

Wallace - 6

Megan - 6

Dee - 7

Chris - 7

Diana - 9

Gigi - 10

Zoey - 10

Patryk - 11

Kriti - 16

Rei - 17

Avg. Score = 8.67

COMMENTS

Public

JC

This was phenomenal. Love MelMah and BY FAR the SUPERIOR Vincent to come out of Canada ❤️ 

Alex

If you’re all wondering which girl I’m standing behind it’s Melanie!

Derek

OUTRAGEOUS. These two came ALIVE with new partners

Wallace

This was such a strong, intense and fiery Paso Doble....and I love me Paso Dobles like this. Of course with Vincent being a ballroom dancer, he absolutely nailed this routine - with partnering and showcasing Melanie in this routine. No other male dancer could have danced this routine as well as him. But wow Melanie was also so fierce, powerful and dynamic in this routine as well. They both danced and performed this with such intensity. The Spanish lines and technique was so on point from both dancers. I really loved all of their partnering work and phew, it was all so fast. Wow Melanie really threw herself into some of those moves with such gutso, it was insane. 😮 Yeah this was dynamic and a fantastic dance from Melanie & Vincent.

Megan

I'd be happy to see any of my Top 6 take the win because they are all incredible routines. I like how this almost feels like a balance between the more character driven "epic" Paso Dobles we have trended to on the show since Brandon/Jeanine and a traditional Paso Doble which we don't see as often. I'm so glad that we got Natalli and Francis choreographing this (can't have Claudia quite yet because she still has to go on to CA3) because they had that incredible Paso Doble in CA1 (also I love them) and because they have a certain excitement to them that Tony/Melanie don't have. Vincent is predictably excellent, but Melanie really gets a chance to show what she can do outside her genre with a capable partner (I am maybe Cody's biggest fan, but he was not the strongest ballroom partner as he would show TWICE this season).

Dee

True perfection.

Kriti

This is a really good routine! I really like the music choice and Melanie's dress, but I've never been particularly impressed by Paso Dobles unless they are genuinely excellent. Also Vincent is fine when he has a more interesting woman to build off but truly not a very engaging dancer on his own.

Rei

ok after rewatching this again right now, maybe I could have ranked this one or two spots higher but all in all is relies too much in drama, too little technique and lots of jazz steps.. I prefer my ballroom with more content. good routine but massively overrated 

................and for the first time in the mini-rankdowns we have a tie for #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(tie)1-2. Melanie Mah & Cody Bonnell - "Turnin' Me On" - (Hip-Hop by Luther Brown)

7diclu.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Dee - 1

Megan - 3

Rei - 4

Kriti - 4

Gigi - 5

Derek - 6

Diana - 6

Public - 6 (JC-3, Alex-13)

Wallace - 10

Zoey - 12

Patryk - 16

Chris - 16

Avg. Score = 7.42

COMMENTS

Dee

True perfection.

Megan

I am first going to start with that I think Cody is a bit underrated and I think it's because he looks very young and later in the season clearly just wouldn't match up to his partners. (But I mean, two of his three partners were Melanie and Kim so). But I think we could say that about like nearly every man in the season! The women of this season (even the ones that we didn't include in this Top 20) were some of the best of the franchise. Take CA1's men and CA2's women and that's truly a dream of a season. Anyway, this was a weirdly sexy season (THE PAST THAT GEN Z PURITANS WANT TO GET AWAY FROM - a reference that won't make sense unless you are EXTREMELY online like me), and we obviously chose a lot of the SEXY routines. I don't know what the choreographers were drinking. (Even Stacey Tookey gets in on the action at the end with her JR/Vincent routine). You know what I love about Luther? He's all for equality. In the Top 16 routine he had for JR/Vincent he was like "I'll put the women's face in the man's crotch" and this week he was like "you know what? this time, it's time for a man to go down on his partner." Anyway, this was just excellent. Melanie is excellent. Cody is excellent. Great choreography.

Rei

any of my top 4 could have won and I'd be extremely happy, let alone two of them :wub:

Melanie devoured this routine!! Along So Fine, Pucker and To Build a Home, this routine is just one of the best routines from the Canadian series and overall franchises. Flawless!!!!

Kriti

I actually think this might be the sexiest routine in this Top 20, which is testament to how good Melanie and Cody's chemistry was, and I'll say I think Cody was the dancer that benefited MOST from my rewatch this time around because despite his baby face he's actually really good at selling a routine.

Derek

sometimes I think this isn't the best partnership but this is amazing and perfect for them. Thank you Luther

Public

JC

Another hot routine from these two, love them!

Wallace

I remember being so shocked with this routine because I didn't want to see the young cute couple having a sexy Hip-Hop like this. :dead: But hahaha they sold the dance and delivered a great dance here. And it was nice to see this different side of them. They definitely made a come back with this dance after their terrible Salsa, lol. But it was great seeing Cody in his element and I thought this was the best dance he had in the competition. But whoa, Melanie really surprised me here. She had great style and swag here and kept up with Cody wonderfully. Super fun routine and another one of my favorites from Melanie & Cody.

(tie)1-2. Jayme Rae Dailey & Daniel Dory - "So Fine" - (Dancehall by Jae Blaze)

7didcr.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Rei - 1

Wallace - 2

Dee - 2

Zoey - 2

Kriti - 3

Megan - 4

Gigi - 9

Derek - 11

Diana - 11

Patryk - 12

Chris - 13

Public - 19 (Alex-11, JC-20)

Avg. Score = 7.42

COMMENTS

Rei

So during the two rounds from my two favorites dancers ever my favorite routines gets to win???

beyonce-god.gif

Can you imagine that these two pretty much top the season just during the second week of competition?

Can you imagine that they cut Daniel over Austin?

Can you imagine that Jayme Rae didn't win the season and only placed 3rd?

FFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAWWWWWWLLLLLLLEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Wallace

Okay now this routine I thought Jayme Rae & Daniel TORE IT UP and really cemeted themselves as frontrunners. I love the song choice, but also all of the energy and chemistry that they bring to the routine. The routine has killer choreography - and both Jayme Rae & Daniel killed it so effortlessly. :omg: I loved all of their side by side dancing  and all of the dancing they do together. Then the part where Jayme Rae does a hand stand, Daniel plays with her legs and spins her around. Their chemistry was just smokin' hot! :omg: It's hard to standout against Jayme Rae, but I thought Daniel was equally as amazing as her here and they both stood out equally!

Dee

True perfection.

Kriti

100% the best dancehall in the series and they look like they belong in a music video, which is absolutely a compliment! I also looked JR up because I wanted to say something like "this was prescient for her career" and in the process I found out that Francois from CA4 still calls himself Franswag. Ah, ADHD.

Megan

If not for the weird unnecessary lift this would have been my #2 routine of the season. As such, I think the other routines are like 100% while this one is a 99%. So close though, and honestly this is probably the more "iconic" routine from the season (maybe the most iconic routine of the season TBQH). I used to want Dancehall on the US version but 1) the US judges are terrible and weird and 2) I don't think the PURITANICAL US show and the CHILDREN they cast would be good at all. So I take it back. I think my favorite part of this is how effortless it looks from Daniel and Jayme Rae. It's a routine with a lot going on and they make it look easy. They also have a very natural chemistry when they dance. Just great all around.

Derek

They hit it. Amazing. 

Public

Alex

Every dance should end with a pelvic thrust.

JC

I actually prefer the hip hop to this routine, but I think this will probably be the biggest JR contender. SORRY DANIEL. It's the producer's fault for not pairing you with MelMah, although I love Cody too, so it's actually the producer's fault for not casting better women! JR winning after VON would be a nightmare and I do not want to disgrace Canada.

Edited by .Rei

• .Rei changed the title to SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (CA2) (Winner Revealed)

Welp, I'm not gonna lie and say I'm disappointed with the tie. :ph34rwave:Very happy for "So Fine" winning. But not too pleased with "Turnin' Me On" tying. I do enjoy that dance but enjoy many others. But congrats to both dances.

45 minutes ago, .Rei said:

This is the rankings without the public scores! (only Hero and Ran Kan Kan tied)

image.png.460ca89b9cf087665542f42a0954c108.png

Hmmm, this is interesting to see. 😮 Parts of me prefer it with the public and parts of me prefer it without the public. But I think overall, I like the public's vote inclusion here. :haha: 

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

I can't wait for all the fighting to continue when we get to Canada 3 and Canada 4 :wub:

Thankfully I'm not as passionate regarding CA3 so I won't be too involved in that, hopefully. :haha: 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kritaaay said:

I can honestly say I didn’t tank any TJ routines or really any routines? These were my honest opinions on all of them, I feel like I wouldn’t have put a JR routine last if I was trying to tank any of them.

You can write a whole book and people will accuse you of tanking routines 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭