Jump to content

Things you´d advise the Top 20 contestants of S20 to work on.


Misirlou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Imagine you are a coach, and based on what you have seen, discuss what is something you´d advise  the T20 contestants to work on, because none of them are perfect, obviously. You don´t have to do it for all 20 contestants, just the ones you care about or the ones that you actually have notes for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

find songs that works with your voice, not a big "moment" that could end up fumbling. also practice the nerves of performing live to a group of people (if you can, if you can't sing to pillows) since you are singing to millions once showtime comes. finally, dont expect to advance even if you did an amazing job yet dont expect to not advance if you think you didnt, have good thoughts but dont over praise yourself, you will just land in defeat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Tbh I’m nothing compared to these people LMFAO so being a critic makes no sense from this POV but just based on what I see as a casual viewer✨.....


These are all based on my opinions and aren’t meant to be taken as factual!

Kenzie: stage presence honey. Don’t be shy be less awkward 😙

Ryleigh: Even though her head voice is *chefs kiss*, some belting with chest voice could be cool to see a different, more powerful side of her.

Carolina: even though she’s an insane vocalist, the overuse of runs (especially in Somebody That I Used To Know) can be awkward in parts that don’t need them. Hearing some more simplicity in parts of the song would show more balance imo. 
Zae: Keep the gorgeous tone, but if he’s gonna do a run he should be sure he’ll hit all the notes. His tone in “she’s sweet like candy in my veins” is phenomenal but the runs done in the battle were not it imo. One is his strength and one is his weakness, based on what we can see as viewers.

Emma: Keeping that gorgeous tone and combining it with a more confident performance and stage presence would be amazing. She’s been improving with that, so I’ll definitely give it to her!

Anna Grace: more of that head voice that we saw in “If I Die Young”!!! That moment was the best she ever sounded. It was gorgousssss.

Victor: I know his knockout song wasn’t his choice but going back to a por powerful, gospel side of him would kill. He’s a sick performer too (especially in his blind and battle, his knockout was *something* to some but I wasnt bothered lmao)

Cam, Savanna, Zania, Dana, Gihanna, Corey: YALL are perfect and you do you ladies and gentleman😙 Edit: even though they are talented, brilliant, amazing, showstopping.....PLS my only advice is swoon over minivan! Join their Christian Facebook club or sumn! We need those votes💞

 

 

Edited by TheVoiceFan2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Tbh I’m nothing compared to these people LMFAO so being a critic makes no sense from this POV but just based on what I see as a casual viewer✨.....


These are all based on my opinions and aren’t meant to be taken as factual!

Kenzie: stage presence honey. Don’t be shy be less awkward 😙

Ryleigh: Even though her head voice is *chefs kiss*, some belting with chest voice could be cool to see a different, more powerful side of her.

Carolina: even though she’s an insane vocalist, the overuse of runs (especially in Somebody That I Used To Know) can be awkward in parts that don’t need them. Hearing some more simplicity in parts of the song would show more balance imo. 
Zae: Keep the gorgeous tone, but if he’s gonna do a run he should be sure he’ll hit all the notes. His tone in “she’s sweet like candy in my veins” is phenomenal but the runs done in the battle were not it imo. One is his strength and one is his weakness, based on what we can see as viewers.

Emma: Keeping that gorgeous tone and combining it with a more confident performance and stage presence would be amazing. She’s been improving with that, so I’ll definitely give it to her!

Anna Grace: more of that head voice that we saw in “If I Die Young”!!! That moment was the best she ever sounded. It was gorgousssss.

Victor: I know his knockout song wasn’t his choice but going back to a por powerful, gospel side of him would kill. He’s a sick performer too (especially in his blind and battle, his knockout was *something* to some but I wasnt bothered lmao)

Cam, Savanna, Zania, Dana: YALL are perfect and you do you ladies and gentleman😙

 

 

exactly😌 in fact, THEY can advise ME on what I need to work on!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

exactly😌 in fact, THEY can advise ME on what I need to work on!

Man, if they told be I was BREATHING incorrectly I would not doubt it and would take their advise on how to do it

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether you're TCO or DOA, enjoy yourself and take the opportunity for what it is. Give your all and leave (maybe) on a high note.

 

But if you're a favorite of mine : MOVE your ass and blow the roof, I need you to stick around a couple more weeks lmaoo

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love this idea for a thread! I'll throw in my thoughts. 🙂 If any contestants are reading this, please DO NOT by any means prioritize this over things that your coach/vocal coaches are telling you. They are FAR more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. Additionally, my intention is not to offend, it is to help. 🙂 

 

TEAM BLAKE

  • Anna Grace - Don't worry about genres. I know you have little control over what you are singing, but pick songs that you can connect to, regardless of what genre. Your greatest strength is emoting, so you need to be able to connect to the lyrics. 
  • Cam Anthony - *checks notes* I am honestly not qualified to give advice to someone like you, but my suggestion would be to find a song that you can connect to. we all know you can SANG, so showing off a more emotional side will just help you connect to more viewers who may not be on board yet.
  • Emma Caroline - Make your hotel room a stage and re-watch your performances. In your hotel room, pretend like you are performing in front of the coaches on stage. Every day (when there is time of course, I know you guys are insanely busy) try to perform a song (any song.) Grab a water bottle for your mic, and perform. Make sure you do this in front of a mirror so you are able to see how you look. It will probably be overwhelming at first, but with repetition your movements should become more fluid. On-stage, try to find something positive and calming to think about. 
  • Jordan Matthew Young - Choose one: emote or perform. Depending on the song, you need to be able to determine whether it would be good to emote or perform on the song. If you want to convey emotion, make sure to focus on emoting during the performance. In your head, you should be thinking "why does this song's message mean so much to me?" 
  • Pete Mroz - After surviving that bus attempt, I really have no advice besides keep doing what you're doing. You are good at what you do, so don't stray too far away from that.

TEAM NICK

  • Andrew Marshall - You may want to perform and "put on a show," but it is way more impactful if you find moments to emote and really tell a story, like you did in your Knockout. I know you have little control over your song choice though, so if you get something up-tempo, try to find moments where you can wow viewers with some high/falsetto notes. Given that this is a voting round, you need to create a performance that viewers will remember.
  • Dana Monique - Again, I am by no means qualified to give advice to a vocal powerhouse like you, but I'd like to see at least one emotional, restrained vocal from you. The high notes will appeal to some, but if you can get others to feel something from your vocals, you'll be unstoppable.
  • Devan Blake Jones - Focus on your 10s (strengths.) For example, if you are not able to hit those falsetto notes 10/10 times, then they are not going to be a good idea for a live vocal. Instead of going for something shaky, replace it with one of your strengths. 
  • Jose Figueroa Jr. - You can run, in fact, you can run all over that stage, but don't let those runs take away from the emotion of the performance. While I personally love all the runs, if you get rid of some and replace them with emotion, I guarantee your performance will be more impactful.
  • Rachel Mac - My biggest advice for you is to keep growing and to keep pushing yourself. Use your age to your advantage and blow the doubters away. 

TEAM LEGEND

  • Carolina Rial - Pretty much the same as Jose. I love the runs and many on here do, but in order to have a moment on that stage you need to have a healthy mix of vocals and emotion. Now, if you happen to be singing something that doesn't allow you to really emote, make sure to throw us a few high notes. ;) You need to do something to make the viewers pay attention and vote. 
  • Pia Renee - If you want to go far, don't do reggae. If you want to stand out among this R&B heavy cast, do reggae. If you want to be happy with your run on the show, do PIA. Don't let a genre define you. Give every song you do your own little twist, so that even if you don't go far, you'll still be happy with what you put out on the show.
  • Ryleigh Modig - Take every opportunity to add your own signature vocal tricks to a song. You have to force people to pay attention and notice what you are doing. 
  • Victor Solomon - I have a feeling you are already going to do this, but exhibit more vocal power. You need to have a moment on that stage that makes everyone take out their phone and vote. Try to model your audition performance of "Glory," where you commanded the stage and exhibited great vocal power. 
  • Zania Alake - Yet again, I am questioning why on earth am I even doing this? I have no advice. Just keep slaying girl. 

TEAM KELLY

  • Corey Ward - Keep emoting because it is working. If you can get Kelly to cry, then she'll have your back if you don't receive enough votes and need to be saved. 
  • Gihanna Zoe - Do exactly what you did for "Glitter in the Air": emote (employ that vibrato) and slay vocally. Again, if you can get Kelly emotional, you have a good shot at that coach save, if needed. 
  • Kenzie Wheeler - Focus on the emotion. You want to move people (including your coach) and get people on board who may not necessarily be country fans. Emotion is not genre-specific, so use it to grab more fans.
  • Savanna Woods - Keep slaying. There are professional singers today who strive to have the confidence that you exhibit on that stage. 
  • Zae Romeo - Try to stay out of the lower parts of your range, especially when doing runs. Like I said with Devan, focus on your 10s. You can emote really well, so instead of runs and high notes, make that your focus. Again, the goal is to make Kelly cry. :P
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Love this idea for a thread! I'll throw in my thoughts. 🙂 If any contestants are reading this, please DO NOT by any means prioritize this over things that your coach/vocal coaches are telling you. They are FAR more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. Additionally, my intention is not to offend, it is to help. 🙂 

 

TEAM BLAKE

  • Anna Grace - Don't worry about genres. I know you have little control over what you are singing, but pick songs that you can connect to, regardless of what genre. Your greatest strength is emoting, so you need to be able to connect to the lyrics. 
  • Cam Anthony - *checks notes* I am honestly not qualified to give advice to someone like you, but my suggestion would be to find a song that you can connect to. we all know you can SANG, so showing off a more emotional side will just help you connect to more viewers who may not be on board yet.
  • Emma Caroline - Make your hotel room a stage and re-watch your performances. In your hotel room, pretend like you are performing in front of the coaches on stage. Every day (when there is time of course, I know you guys are insanely busy) try to perform a song (any song.) Grab a water bottle for your mic, and perform. Make sure you do this in front of a mirror so you are able to see how you look. It will probably be overwhelming at first, but with repetition your movements should become more fluid. On-stage, try to find something positive and calming to think about. 
  • Jordan Matthew Young - Choose one: emote or perform. Depending on the song, you need to be able to determine whether it would be good to emote or perform on the song. If you want to convey emotion, make sure to focus on emoting during the performance. In your head, you should be thinking "why does this song's message mean so much to me?" 
  • Pete Mroz - After surviving that bus attempt, I really have no advice besides keep doing what you're doing. You are good at what you do, so don't stray too far away from that.

TEAM NICK

  • Andrew Marshall - You may want to perform and "put on a show," but it is way more impactful if you find moments to emote and really tell a story, like you did in your Knockout. I know you have little control over your song choice though, so if you get something up-tempo, try to find moments where you can wow viewers with some high/falsetto notes. Given that this is a voting round, you need to create a performance that viewers will remember.
  • Dana Monique - Again, I am by no means qualified to give advice to a vocal powerhouse like you, but I'd like to see at least one emotional, restrained vocal from you. The high notes will appeal to some, but if you can get others to feel something from your vocals, you'll be unstoppable.
  • Devan Blake Jones - Focus on your 10s (strengths.) For example, if you are not able to hit those falsetto notes 10/10 times, then they are not going to be a good idea for a live vocal. Instead of going for something shaky, replace it with one of your strengths. 
  • Jose Figueroa Jr. - You can run, in fact, you can run all over that stage, but don't let those runs take away from the emotion of the performance. While I personally love all the runs, if you get rid of some and replace them with emotion, I guarantee your performance will be more impactful.
  • Rachel Mac - My biggest advice for you is to keep growing and to keep pushing yourself. Use your age to your advantage and blow the doubters away. 

TEAM LEGEND

  • Carolina Rial - Pretty much the same as Jose. I love the runs and many on here do, but in order to have a moment on that stage you need to have a healthy mix of vocals and emotion. Now, if you happen to be singing something that doesn't allow you to really emote, make sure to throw us a few high notes. ;) You need to do something to make the viewers pay attention and vote. 
  • Pia Renee - If you want to go far, don't do reggae. If you want to stand out among this R&B heavy cast, do reggae. If you want to be happy with your run on the show, do PIA. Don't let a genre define you. Give every song you do your own little twist, so that even if you don't go far, you'll still be happy with what you put out on the show.
  • Ryleigh Modig - Take every opportunity to add your own signature vocal tricks to a song. You have to force people to pay attention and notice what you are doing. 
  • Victor Solomon - I have a feeling you are already going to do this, but exhibit more vocal power. You need to have a moment on that stage that makes everyone take out their phone and vote. Try to model your audition performance of "Glory," where you commanded the stage and exhibited great vocal power. 
  • Zania Alake - Yet again, I am questioning why on earth am I even doing this? I have no advice. Just keep slaying girl. 

TEAM KELLY

  • Corey Ward - Keep emoting because it is working. If you can get Kelly to cry, then she'll have your back if you don't receive enough votes and need to be saved. 
  • Gihanna Zoe - Do exactly what you did for "Glitter in the Air": emote (employ that vibrato) and slay vocally. Again, if you can get Kelly emotional, you have a good shot at that coach save, if needed. 
  • Kenzie Wheeler - Focus on the emotion. You want to move people (including your coach) and get people on board who may not necessarily be country fans. Emotion is not genre-specific, so use it to grab more fans.
  • Savanna Woods - Keep slaying. There are professional singers today who strive to have the confidence that you exhibit on that stage. 
  • Zae Romeo - Try to stay out of the lower parts of your range, especially when doing runs. Like I said with Devan, focus on your 10s. You can emote really well, so instead of runs and high notes, make that your focus. Again, the goal is to make Kelly cry. :P

Wow, these are some really good advise! 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Love this idea for a thread! I'll throw in my thoughts. 🙂 If any contestants are reading this, please DO NOT by any means prioritize this over things that your coach/vocal coaches are telling you. They are FAR more experienced and knowledgeable than I am. Additionally, my intention is not to offend, it is to help. 🙂 

 

TEAM BLAKE

  • Anna Grace - Don't worry about genres. I know you have little control over what you are singing, but pick songs that you can connect to, regardless of what genre. Your greatest strength is emoting, so you need to be able to connect to the lyrics. 
  • Cam Anthony - *checks notes* I am honestly not qualified to give advice to someone like you, but my suggestion would be to find a song that you can connect to. we all know you can SANG, so showing off a more emotional side will just help you connect to more viewers who may not be on board yet.
  • Emma Caroline - Make your hotel room a stage and re-watch your performances. In your hotel room, pretend like you are performing in front of the coaches on stage. Every day (when there is time of course, I know you guys are insanely busy) try to perform a song (any song.) Grab a water bottle for your mic, and perform. Make sure you do this in front of a mirror so you are able to see how you look. It will probably be overwhelming at first, but with repetition your movements should become more fluid. On-stage, try to find something positive and calming to think about. 
  • Jordan Matthew Young - Choose one: emote or perform. Depending on the song, you need to be able to determine whether it would be good to emote or perform on the song. If you want to convey emotion, make sure to focus on emoting during the performance. In your head, you should be thinking "why does this song's message mean so much to me?" 
  • Pete Mroz - After surviving that bus attempt, I really have no advice besides keep doing what you're doing. You are good at what you do, so don't stray too far away from that.

TEAM NICK

  • Andrew Marshall - You may want to perform and "put on a show," but it is way more impactful if you find moments to emote and really tell a story, like you did in your Knockout. I know you have little control over your song choice though, so if you get something up-tempo, try to find moments where you can wow viewers with some high/falsetto notes. Given that this is a voting round, you need to create a performance that viewers will remember.
  • Dana Monique - Again, I am by no means qualified to give advice to a vocal powerhouse like you, but I'd like to see at least one emotional, restrained vocal from you. The high notes will appeal to some, but if you can get others to feel something from your vocals, you'll be unstoppable.
  • Devan Blake Jones - Focus on your 10s (strengths.) For example, if you are not able to hit those falsetto notes 10/10 times, then they are not going to be a good idea for a live vocal. Instead of going for something shaky, replace it with one of your strengths. 
  • Jose Figueroa Jr. - You can run, in fact, you can run all over that stage, but don't let those runs take away from the emotion of the performance. While I personally love all the runs, if you get rid of some and replace them with emotion, I guarantee your performance will be more impactful.
  • Rachel Mac - My biggest advice for you is to keep growing and to keep pushing yourself. Use your age to your advantage and blow the doubters away. 

TEAM LEGEND

  • Carolina Rial - Pretty much the same as Jose. I love the runs and many on here do, but in order to have a moment on that stage you need to have a healthy mix of vocals and emotion. Now, if you happen to be singing something that doesn't allow you to really emote, make sure to throw us a few high notes. ;) You need to do something to make the viewers pay attention and vote. 
  • Pia Renee - If you want to go far, don't do reggae. If you want to stand out among this R&B heavy cast, do reggae. If you want to be happy with your run on the show, do PIA. Don't let a genre define you. Give every song you do your own little twist, so that even if you don't go far, you'll still be happy with what you put out on the show.
  • Ryleigh Modig - Take every opportunity to add your own signature vocal tricks to a song. You have to force people to pay attention and notice what you are doing. 
  • Victor Solomon - I have a feeling you are already going to do this, but exhibit more vocal power. You need to have a moment on that stage that makes everyone take out their phone and vote. Try to model your audition performance of "Glory," where you commanded the stage and exhibited great vocal power. 
  • Zania Alake - Yet again, I am questioning why on earth am I even doing this? I have no advice. Just keep slaying girl. 

TEAM KELLY

  • Corey Ward - Keep emoting because it is working. If you can get Kelly to cry, then she'll have your back if you don't receive enough votes and need to be saved. 
  • Gihanna Zoe - Do exactly what you did for "Glitter in the Air": emote (employ that vibrato) and slay vocally. Again, if you can get Kelly emotional, you have a good shot at that coach save, if needed. 
  • Kenzie Wheeler - Focus on the emotion. You want to move people (including your coach) and get people on board who may not necessarily be country fans. Emotion is not genre-specific, so use it to grab more fans.
  • Savanna Woods - Keep slaying. There are professional singers today who strive to have the confidence that you exhibit on that stage. 
  • Zae Romeo - Try to stay out of the lower parts of your range, especially when doing runs. Like I said with Devan, focus on your 10s. You can emote really well, so instead of runs and high notes, make that your focus. Again, the goal is to make Kelly cry. :P


This is some high-quality coaching right here. Take notes, Nick :P

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First and most important piece of advice is to not listen to me cause I sound like a dying cat when I sing :wub:

 

Anna Grace: Focus on how you place your runs. When they're placed right, they sound beautiful, but when they're placed awkwardly, it can take away from the moment, especially on an emotional song.

Emma Caroline: Try to open up a little more. Perhaps work your way up: rehearsing by yourself, then in front of some TV friends, then in front of some acquaintances / people you don't know as well, and try to work up your level of comfort. 

Zania Alaké: Your belting is excellent, but when you go softer it's also really great 'cause we can hear your beautiful tone even more! Try to balance the big moments, the belts, and the softer moments so we get to hear the different aspects of you.

Dana Monique: Try to pick a song that allows you to emote more. We've seen your power and vocal prowess, but if you go for something more emotional, you could connect with the viewers more.

Rachel Mac: Focus on your breath so that you don't lose breath and become pitchy.

Jose Figueroa: Potentially dial back a little bit on the runs and try belting a little more. Your runs are really excellent and usually well-placed, but dialing back on the runs can allow more emotion to come through and will also allow us to hear your wonderful tone!

Carolina Rial: Your tone is super cool and unique! Try and emulate what you did with your knockout song, by focusing on the emotion over the runs. Also, perhaps doing more practice can help you work on your pitch when you get emotional, but I'd also recommend you talk to Pia and Anna for advice on that, since they handled it super well in the knockouts!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Corey:

 

The best part of your voice is your chest voice. Make sure you have proper breath support when you belt. You have a nice head voice, but use it sparingly and with intent. There needs to be a balance between those two in your performance. Already Gone is a good step in the right direction.

 

Pete:

 

You are obviously technically skilled. You just need to find a way to connect with the audience more. Your effortlessness in singing may come off as detachment from the audience if you're not careful. I feel like you haven't had a song in the show that took you to a vulnerable place yet. I hope your Playoffs song will do that for you.

 

 

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...