The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (FINAL FOUR POSTED)

VintageVoice

2 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:
  • This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach.
  • This contestant's name is like a good book.
  • This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds.
  • This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale.

1. Julia Cooper

2. Payge Turner

3. Tamara Jade

4. Carter Rubin

• This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach. Julia Cooper
  • This contestant's name is like a good book. - Payge Turner
  • This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds. - Tamara Jade
  • This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale. Carter Rubin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, David68 said:
  • This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach. Julia Cooper
  • This contestant's name is like a good book. - Payge Turner
  • This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds. - Tamara Jade
  • This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale. Carter Rubin

i’ll agree with this. it seems correct and plausible in terms of where i think people would be placed.

i suspect desz will be higher than julia so i think she’ll be in the final set w cami 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

🚨🚨RANKINGS ROUND 8 - DOWN TO THE WIRE🚨🚨

12. Ryan Gallagher (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Ryan-Gal

Explanation  Starting off round 8 is the reason many middle-aged soccer moms across America continued watching the show past the blind auditions. Ryan's audition started off as a true blind, where the audience couldn't see who was up onstage. What they could see was Kelly trying to resist the button press for the majority of the song before eventually turning near the end; Blake turned too, though I'm pretty sure he did that more to screw with Kelly than because he wanted Ryan on his team though admittedly I'm curious how that would have gone if Ryan had picked Blake. Ryan was then paired with Marisa for the battles and both of them did well; my other tinfoil-hat-theory related to Ryan is that if just one of the other three coaches had picked Ryan over Marisa instead of unanimously declaring her the winner, Ryan would have won the battle and Marisa would have gone into the 4-way Knockout instead. Once the 4-way Knockout came around, Ryan turned in one of the stronger vocals of the round and looked like a lock to win it, especially as he was the last to perform in the knockout. In the second-shadiest move of the season behind Marisa's Twitter meltdown of course, Ryan was DQ'd from the competition with no explanation just before the results of the 4-way Knockout were revealed. Though it was later revealed that Ryan allegedly broke COVID protocols and thus had to be disqualified to protect the remaining artists and crew from getting sick, this was not mentioned on air; in any case, Ryan didn't proceed past the 4-way knockout. Since exiting the show, Ryan has continued posting music on his Instagram, including a snippet from a Valentine's Day concert you can watch here.

Hint:    This contestant's song choice for their final performance turned out to be a little too on-the-nose. ( Ryan's knockout song was Time to Say Goodbye and he ended up having to say goodbye to the competition, as he got disqualified before learning the results of the four-way knockout.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Opera

Favorite Performance: The Prayer (blind audition)

11. Madeline Consoer (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Madeline

Explanation  Kelly's would-be block follows her teammate on this list and thus just misses out on the top 10. Madeline's TV debut included hotel room clips of her making various catlike noises as vocal warmups; I don't know how or why I remember this, just that it's stuck with me. Anyway, Madeline went for a Maren Morris song for her blind, which suited her voice and showed that she had crossover potential for her genre. If Blake hadn't seen Kelly's attempt to block him, I believe Madeline would've gotten that second chair as she was pretty good. For her battle, Madeline got paired with Eli and had the rather daunting task of not only tackling Christina Aguilera vocals but also learning to sing a bit in Spanish. Even though I actually preferred Eli by a bit onstage, I found it to be enjoyable and pretty even vocally, so I was happy for Madeline when she moved on to the Knockouts. In the Knockouts, Madeline delivered one of my favorite performances of the round, even if she looked like a neon Chiquita banana while doing so that shade of yellow is still burned into my retinas. Madeline moved onto the playoffs but unfortunately didn't meet the same level as her knockout, which I suspect was a mix of questionable sound mixing for most of Team Kelly's performances the perks of kicking off the show and some nerves. Madeline did not receive enough votes to move on either by support or by winning the wildcard, nor did she get the coach save. After the show, Madeline released a full cover of her knockout song that you can find here.

Hint:    This contestant made it through twice as many rounds as an opponent. (Madeline made it through four rounds of the show [audition, battle, knockout, and playoffs[ while her battle partner, Eli, only made it through two [audition and battle].)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Country/Pop

Favorite Performance: Die From A Broken Heart (knockout)

10. Jim Ranger (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Jim-Rang

Explanation  Kicking off the top 10 is the artist much of IDF expected to win after preseason feedback came in via spoilers. This wasn't Jim's first rodeo with televised singing competitions; he was on Season 9 of American Idol, though he did get cut at Hollywood week. A decade later, Jim returned to TV via The Voice with a more Americana-soul-country take on a Keith Urban hit than I expected. Jim's giant voice got everyone but Kelly to turn around, and despite the other coaches' best efforts Jim made the obvious choice to go with Blake. For the sake of my own well-being, I will not be talking about his battle because the song choice makes me angry every time I so much as think about it, but Jim won and that's what really matters. For his Knockout, Jim chose to go the Tim McGraw route and show a softer side to his voice, which I really liked. He also got a little teary-eyed afterwards talking about his kids, a move that when all IDF had to go off of was spoilers had a few people prepared to just hand Jim the trophy at that point. Fortunately for the other contestants, IDF's over-exaggerations do not automatically determine the winner, so Jim moved onto the lives. Though Jim's playoffs performance was weaker than his knockout, it was enough to get Blake's coach save. For the semifinals, Jim was the only coach save to receive the public vote into the finale, as apparently singing Badfinger while perched on a Martian cliff is an effective vote-winning tactic who knew. Jim's finale night performances were both pretty good, though it seemed like even if he'd been phenomenal the best he could hope for would be second place. Jim ended up being runner-up and placing higher than his teammate, so good for him, I guess. Since the show, Jim has gotten to sing the national anthem for his hometown hockey team and did a podcast talking about his time on the show; best of luck to Jim as he continues pursuing music.

Hint:    This contestant nearly cried on screen at least once. ( Jim got teary-eyed talking about his family after the end of his knockout.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged at any point and his knockout was leaked.

Genre: Country

Favorite Performance: Humble and Kind (knockout)

9. Kelsie Watts (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Kelsie-W

Explanation The last member of this batch is one of the contestants that if they'd had a better run on the show easily could've made my top 5 for the season. To guarantee her audition would have to be aired even if she failed to turn a chair, Kelsie chose to cover a Kelly Clarkson song with Kelly there on the panel. That in and of itself is a ballsy move, but then Kelsie decided that wasn't enough - she'd throw in a whistle note towards the end of the song for good measure. Needless to say, that whistle note worked and Kelsie got Kelly and Gwen both to turn around. My other favorite about her audition was the look of pure love and adoration on her husband's face right after the chairs turned - it's enough to melt my heart every time. To absolutely nobody's surprise, Kelsie went to Team Kelly. It was then where Kelsie's luck with production ran out. Her battle round with Emmalee on a Demi Lovato song got montaged, though the rehearsal clip Kelsie posted after the end of the show sounded like there was potential for it to be a good battle. Upon advancing to the Knockouts, Kelsie "chose" to shake things up and go for an Alanis Morisette song that has led to all but one artist losing the knockout or cross-battle they sang it for. If that wasn't enough to hurt Kelsie's odds, her knockout ended up being short-clipped upon airing. In any case, Kelsie didn't get past the knockouts and yes I am still a little salty about how things played out for her on the show. After the show, Kelsie has posted a variety of songs to YouTube, including a full-length version of her audition song that you can find here.

Hint:    This contestant guaranteed their audition would be shown in full. ( Kelsie sang a Kelly Clarkson song for her blind audition, which she said was done so the producers would have to air her full audition.)

Montage/Leak: Her battle was montaged and her knockout was short-clipped.

Genre: Pop

Favorite Performance: I Dare You (blind audition)

OMG I got everything right again 😮

Edited by FloorWax

18 hours ago, VintageVoice said:
  • This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach.
  • This contestant's name is like a good book.
  • This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds.
  • This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale.

- Julia Cooper (Ohio, like John Legend)

- Payge Turner (book pun)

- Tamara Jade (Blinds, Battles, KO)

- Carter Rubin (trio with Desz and Jim)

I'll try with the order:

8. Tamara Jade

7. Julia Cooper

6. Carter Rubin

5. Payge Turner

4. Sid Kingsley

3. Taryn Papa

2. Cami Clune

1. Desz

Edited by FloorWax

18 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

The female cast was really on fire last season ! I can’t even remember the last time I rooted for a male contestant on the voice 🤔

Carter was my second favorite of the season, but I agree since four out of my Top 5 were female. 

Edited by Bk1234

🚨🚨RANKINGS ROUND 9 - (ALMOST) THE FINAL COUNTDOWN🚨🚨

8. Payge Turner (Team Gwen)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Payge-Tu

Explanation   Payge lands at number eight because of her artistry - she's up and away the most out-of-the-box vocalist of the Season 19 lineup. Unlike many female vocalists that make the show, Payge's strength doesn't lie in her ability to hit crazy high notes; it's her lower register that's the real killer, as demonstrated in her blind audition. Showing off that stronger part of her voice as well as doing a creative version of an often-covered song was enough to get two chairs to turn. Between Blake and Gwen, there wasn't really a bad choice, but Gwen's artistry is similar enough to Payge's that there was a clear pick - and Payge went with Gwen. Payge's battle round was a duet normally done by a male and female artist, and Payge took the lower part while her partner, Lauren, took the higher one. The end result ended up being the only battle to end in a double steal. Payge, for her part, remained on Team Gwen for the Knockouts, and it was in the Knockouts that Payge delivered her strongest performance. Her take on Radiohead's best-known song was powerful and vulnerable in all of the right places and overall just gorgeous, and a solid A performance in my book I was ready to fight Charlie Mason from TVLine after seeing the grade he gave it. When she moved onto the lives, Payge chose to flip an NSYNC song, which I liked from an artistic perspective even if it wasn't the sort of thing the audience would respond to. She got to perform in the Wildcard and turned in one of the two non-messy vocals there, but it wasn't enough to advance her past the Wildcard. Since her time on the show, Payge has announced plans for an album and has released a single you can find here.

Hint:     This contestant's name is like a good book. ( One way of describing a good book is a page-turner, which is also a pun based off Payge's name I have no regrets for making this joke.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged at any point and both her battle and knockout rounds were leaked.

Genre: R&B/Rock/Pop

Favorite Performance: Creep (knockout)

7. Tamara Jade (Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Tamara-J

Explanation If this was a personality contest, Tamara would be running laps around every single person in the Season 19 cast; her energy and charisma shone through every second she was onscreen. Her energetic blind audition was not only the first leak of the season, but also was the first four-chair turn and first audition overall. After having her pick of the coaches to go with, Tamara picked John. Tamara's battle round, especially after her blind, was underwhelming in comparison; nonetheless, she won and moved onto the Knockouts. Tamara picked a Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" for her knockout, which suited her artistry because it's funky, upbeat, soulful, and lets singers have the opportunity to cut loose and have fun on stage. Since that's where Tamara's strongest assets are, she did well with the number and got to move on. In the playoffs, Tamara got to do a song that hasn't been done on the show in a long time and delivered my favorite vocal of Team Legend (and of her run on the show); it was enough to get her the save and move onto the semifinals. In the semifinals, she ended up doing "Let It Be." Tamara's major issue vocally is that being an energetic performer can cause breath support issues even for experienced singers; th semifinals was the first time since the blinds where that fact became really evident. In the Instant Save, she put on a fun performance and shouted out all of the coaches, but she didn't move on beyond that point. After leaving the show, Tamara has organized at least one virtual concert and released a cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" you can check out here

Hint:  This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds. ( Tamara was one of two contestants in the premiere of every pre-taped round.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged at any point and her blind audition was leaked.

Genre: R&B

Favorite Performance: Crazy (playoffs)

6. Julia Cooper (Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Julia-Co

Explanation   Coming in at number six is the contestant I am most strongly convinced would've been a four-chair turn if circumstances had played out slightly differently. Julia's blind audition showed off her unique tone and laser-precise control of her voice and got three quick chair turns; Blake, whose team had filled the audition before, looked like he was enjoying the performance enough that had he still had a slot left he likely would have turned as well. Despite Kelly's attempts to win Julia over, Julia picked John - which, considering John won with an indie-pop singer, made sense. Julia was then paired with John Holiday in the battles on easily the most technically challenging song of the battle rounds in Season 19. Though not my favorite battle, both of them made the song look a lot easier than it was. More impressively, Julia kept up with John on that technical level (a feat that few this season could have pulled off given how insanely technically gifted John Holiday is). Though I preferred John in this one instance, I was hoping Julia would be saved and she was; thus, she advanced to the 4-way knockout. In her knockout, Julia went for a Billie Eilish cover; from a voting perspective, I didn't see it as a good move, but from an artistic one it was very much a move that was true to who Julia is as an artist. Personally, this was my favorite knockout of the four contestants, but I expected her to exit the show after the performance. Though Julia did not manage to win the 4-way knockout, she did get to participate in the top 20 performances, managing to hit and hold an impressive high note in the Christmas-themed one. Since the show, Julia has released a full cover of her audition song that you can check out here

Hint:  This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach. ( Julia and John Legend are both originally from Ohio.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre:  Indie/Jazz/Pop

Favorite Performance: Alaska (blind audition)

5. Carter Rubin (Team Gwen)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Carter-R

Explanation   Picture this: IDF is waiting for more contestant information during the lull between when the Season 19 blinds and battles tape, and someone confirms there's a young male vocalist who got two chairs to turn. A lot of initial predictions write him off as unlikely to do well on the show, given the last teenage boy to make the finale was several seasons ago at this point - and it's been even longer since the lone teen boy winner won the whole shebang. Fast forward to the Friday before episode 3 of the blinds is set to air, and who gets leaked? If your answer is said teenage boy, you'd be correct. Carter was the youngest solo contestant to make the show at just 14 when he auditioned. Said audition showed off an impressive amount of control and polish for someone that young, not to mention a really pretty tone and just the right amount of vibrato to be widely appealing. After picking Gwen, Carter got paired with Gwen's second-youngest team member; he and Larriah then pulled off an impressive battle, especially considering how young both of them were. Carter's advancement to the knockouts got him to his breakout performance of "You Say" - it was at this point that most of the audience that hadn't yet been suckered in by Carter's dimples and natural poise took note of him, and Carter went from middle of the pack to Gwen's likeliest front-runner. The second-biggest head-scratcher of Carter's run on the show was the choice to give him a Mariah Carey song, considering many adults struggle with her discography. Carter, to his credit, made it through in one piece and got the Team Gwen public vote. He followed into the semifinals with the biggest head-scratcher of his time on the show, at least on paper: a Muppets song. Of course, because almost nothing fazes Carter, he nailed it; in fact, he did well enough with it that it's currently the lone live shows performance to get over the million-view mark on YouTube. After that, it basically turned into a race for second for everyone else. Carter's finale night was the only time I'd seen a hint of nerves from him all season, as they crept through during his cover song; during his original, he'd recovered enough that he was just fine. A little over 24 hours later, Carter was declared winner of The Voice - only the second teen boy to win and the second-youngest winner overall. After winning the show, Carter has been doing some songwriting and is working with Gwen's management to figure out the best direction for his career. Best of luck to Carter as he continues to grow as an artist.

Hint:     This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale. ( All three members of Carter's semifinals trio performance made the finale. )

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged at any point and his blind audition was leaked.

Genre: Pop

Favorite Performance: Rainbow Connection (semifinals)

Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 2

• VintageVoice changed the title to The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (#8-5 POSTED)

Here's the hints for the final four - and clue order may or may not matter this time.

• This contestant lives in a hotbed for their musical genre of choice.
  • This contestant is the only contestant to have worked with the majority of the panel.
  • This contestant's audition has one difference from the others in this group.
  • This contestant sang with or against another member of this group at some point.
Edited by VintageVoice
Wording

18 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Here's the hints for the final four - and clue order may or may not matter this time.

• This contestant lives in a hotbed for their musical genre of choice.
  • This contestant is the only contestant to have worked with the majority of the panel.
  • This contestant's audition shares one difference from the others in this group.
  • This contestant sang with or against another member of this group at some point.

nvm changing some stuff first

Edited by FloorWax