The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (FINAL FOUR POSTED)

VintageVoice

🚨🚨RANKINGS ROUND 7 - ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER RANK🚨🚨

16. Bailey Rae (Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Bailey-R

Explanation I am a big fan of two things: female classic country voices and a good underdog story. Bailey Rae checks both of those boxes. By the time she auditioned, John was the only coach with any spots (three, in fact) remaining, so she defaulted to Team Legend since John had been itching and failing to get a country act on his team. In her battle round, she got paired up against Sid; despite my preference for Sid in this scenario, Bailey held up pretty well against him so I'm not mad she advanced, especially since I knew going into this that artists that fascinate John tend to be the ones he takes as far as he can. Bailey was then paired with Lauren for her knockout, which I didn't like as much as her battle performance; her advancement over Lauren was somewhat controversial but again, John's gonna do what John's gonna do. On playoffs night, I put Bailey's performance as third within her team personally, and I expected her to end up in the wildcard. While I was right about that, I wasn't expecting her Wildcard performance to be my favorite of her run on the show, nor was I expecting her to beat out two country acts from more popular coaches; however, given she was the least messy of the country acts in the Wildcard, she ended up advancing. Her semifinals performance was okay, but on a night where she needed to be phenomenal to beat out both of her remaining teammates, she wasn't - and don't even get me started on that godawful trio performance even though I blame the song choice more than the artists. She ended up in the Instant Save but didn't advance. All things considered, I'll begrudgingly give John props for working so well with an artist that far out of his wheelhouse and taking her as far as he could. Since the show, Bailey has released a new single that you can find here.

Hint:   This contestant took an unexpected journey with their coach. ( Bailey, as a purely country artist, was an unexpected Team Legend member who made it all the way to the semifinals.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Country

Favorite Performance: Never Again, Again (playoffs Wildcard)

15. Ian Flanigan (Team Blake)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Ian-Flan

Explanation  Next up is our second finalist to be ranked. Ian's tone is pretty polarizing; while I enjoyed it, many did not. What I enjoyed less were his song choices - though I understand that a unique voice makes it hard to pick songs, there's only one song during his run that I think worked well for him sound-wise. Clearly, the audience agreed as they gave him the public vote to advance past the playoffs. To get him to that point, he first needed a chair turn - and Blake gave him one. His battle was pretty good and his clearer musical identity gave Ian the advantage, and his knockout was okay but not my cup of tea. It was the playoffs where Ian really shone; Bob Dylan's classic was a perfect fit for him. Unfortunately for Ian, he was given a more questionable song choice for the semifinals - and he was the only public vote recipient from the previous week to not get it a second time. Luckily for him, the Instant Save exists and he made the finale that way. Ian's finale night was good enough to push him into third place, but not enough to push him past his teammate. After the show, Ian has kept busy musically, including doing an Instagram takeover for Ole Red (Blake's bar chain) tomorrow - you can find out more about that here.

Hint:   This contestant was the first member of their team that the audience met. ( Ian was the first member of Team Blake to have his audition air.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Country/Folk

Favorite Performance: Make You Feel My Love (playoffs)

14. Lauren Frihauf (Team Gwen --> Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Lauren-F

Explanation  Lauren lands in this spot on the list as one of the contestants who had a journey that I really enjoyed. Her audition song showed off an interesting, kind of wiggly (and dare I say Gwen-like) vibrato that got her two chair turns. She chose the coach whose voice was more similar to her own, which seemed like a good match since Gwen likes working with young artists and voices with character. In the battle round, Lauren was matched up with Payge on a song featuring their battle round advisor - no pressure to have to rehearse that in front of her, right? In any case, Lauren didn't join in onstage until the first chorus but when she did, I almost didn't recognize her voice; that's how different she sounded from one round to the next. The best way I can describe her tone when she uses her head voice is angelic - there was a purity to it that was absolutely lovely. Though she lost the battle, Lauren was the only loss in the battle round to get a double steal. After joining Team Legend, Lauren was paired with Bailey in the knockouts, where she chose to cover Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby" but was advised to make it more indie-pop sounding. While I love Lauren's voice, I didn't love the way the song got flipped to be something that different from Janis' version. To be honest, I think the wiggly vibrato version of Lauren would've worked better here. In any case, Lauren didn't advance. Now that she's left the show, Lauren has been recording some music and posting covers with friends on Instagram, including one you can find here.

Hint:   This contestant had arguably the biggest difference in sound between rounds. ( Lauren's blind audition and battle round showed off two very different sides of her voice.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged at any point and her battle round was leaked.

Genre: Pop/Rock

Favorite Performance: If The World Was Ending (battle round)

13. Chloé Hogan (Team Gwen --> Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Chloe-Ho

Explanation  Wrapping up this part of the list is the other John Legend steal from Team Gwen. Chloé's audition showed a very smooth voice, which worked well for her chosen song; though I personally think she deserved at least a second chair turn, I can see why Gwen was the only one to turn as Chloé's audition didn't show off a lot of vocal gymnastics. In the battle round, Chloé was paired with Lain Roy on a Harry Styles song that got montaged, but it didn't matter for Chloé in the end as she emerged victorious. Gwen's choice to advance Chloé over Lain caused some waves online, as the latter had quickly become a fan favorite after his audition. However, in the knockouts, Chloé proved to be a capable vocalist with her cover of SWV's "Weak" - she showed off a nice vocal range in addition to her signature smooth tone which was a delightful combination. Unfortunately, she lost her knockout, but she impressed John Legend enough to be stolen and taken to the playoffs. For the playoffs, I was surprised by the selection of a Billie Eilish song (and admittedly a tad disappointed, since I was hoping the song would be covered by a different contestant). However, I have to give credit where credit is due - Chloé nailed it and her performance ended up being one of the better performances of the night. Though she was eliminated after the playoffs, at least Chloé got to go on a high note. Since the show, Chloé has been working in studio and dropped a teaser of what's to come - check it out here if you're interested.

Hint:   This contestant's coach made a potentially controversial call by advancing them past the battles. ( Chloe won her battle against Lain Roy, who many of the audience thought was Gwen's front-runner; however, because their battle was montaged, the logic behind Gwen's decision remains unexplained.)

Montage/Leak: Her battle was montaged and she was not leaked at any point.

Genre: R&B

Favorite Performance: my future (playoffs)

• Like 1

• VintageVoice changed the title to The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (#16-13 POSTED)

Hints for round eight - again, order of clues doesn't guarantee order of contestants:

• This contestant's song choice for their final performance turned out to be a little too on-the-nose.
  • This contestant nearly cried on screen at least once.
  • This contestant guaranteed their audition would be shown in full.
  • This contestant made it through twice as many rounds as an opponent.
Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

🚨🚨RANKINGS ROUND 7 - ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER RANK🚨🚨

16. Bailey Rae (Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Bailey-R

Explanation I am a big fan of two things: female classic country voices and a good underdog story. Bailey Rae checks both of those boxes. By the time she auditioned, John was the only coach with any spots (three, in fact) remaining, so she defaulted to Team Legend since John had been itching and failing to get a country act on his team. In her battle round, she got paired up against Sid; despite my preference for Sid in this scenario, Bailey held up pretty well against him so I'm not mad she advanced, especially since I knew going into this that artists that fascinate John tend to be the ones he takes as far as he can. Bailey was then paired with Lauren for her knockout, which I didn't like as much as her battle performance; her advancement over Lauren was somewhat controversial but again, John's gonna do what John's gonna do. On playoffs night, I put Bailey's performance as third within her team personally, and I expected her to end up in the wildcard. While I was right about that, I wasn't expecting her Wildcard performance to be my favorite of her run on the show, nor was I expecting her to beat out two country acts from more popular coaches; however, given she was the least messy of the country acts in the Wildcard, she ended up advancing. Her semifinals performance was okay, but on a night where she needed to be phenomenal to beat out both of her remaining teammates, she wasn't - and don't even get me started on that godawful trio performance even though I blame the song choice more than the artists. She ended up in the Instant Save but didn't advance. All things considered, I'll begrudgingly give John props for working so well with an artist that far out of his wheelhouse and taking her as far as he could. Since the show, Bailey has released a new single that you can find here.

Hint:   This contestant took an unexpected journey with their coach. ( Bailey, as a purely country artist, was an unexpected Team Legend member who made it all the way to the semifinals.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Favorite Performance: Never Again, Again (playoffs Wildcard)

15. Ian Flanigan (Team Blake)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Ian-Flan

Explanation  Next up is our second finalist to be ranked. Ian's tone is pretty polarizing; while I enjoyed it, many did not. What I enjoyed less were his song choices - though I understand that a unique voice makes it hard to pick songs, there's only one song during his run that I think worked well for him sound-wise. Clearly, the audience agreed as they gave him the public vote to advance past the playoffs. To get him to that point, he first needed a chair turn - and Blake gave him one. His battle was pretty good and his clearer musical identity gave Ian the advantage, and his knockout was okay but not my cup of tea. It was the playoffs where Ian really shone; Bob Dylan's classic was a perfect fit for him. Unfortunately for Ian, he was given a more questionable song choice for the semifinals - and he was the only public vote recipient from the previous week to not get it a second time. Luckily for him, the Instant Save exists and he made the finale that way. Ian's finale night was good enough to push him into third place, but not enough to push him past his teammate. After the show, Ian has kept busy musically, including doing an Instagram takeover for Ole Red (Blake's bar chain) tomorrow - you can find out more about that here.

Hint:   This contestant was the first member of their team that the audience met. ( Ian was the first member of Team Blake to have his audition air.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Country/Folk

Favorite Performance: Make You Feel My Love (playoffs)

14. Lauren Frihauf (Team Gwen --> Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Lauren-F

Explanation  Lauren lands in this spot on the list as one of the contestants who had a journey that I really enjoyed. Her audition song showed off an interesting, kind of wiggly (and dare I say Gwen-like) vibrato that got her two chair turns. She chose the coach whose voice was more similar to her own, which seemed like a good match since Gwen likes working with young artists and voices with character. In the battle round, Lauren was matched up with Payge on a song featuring their battle round advisor - no pressure to have to rehearse that in front of her, right? In any case, Lauren didn't join in onstage until the first chorus but when she did, I almost didn't recognize her voice; that's how different she sounded from one round to the next. The best way I can describe her tone when she uses her head voice is angelic - there was a purity to it that was absolutely lovely. Though she lost the battle, Lauren was the only loss in the battle round to get a double steal. After joining Team Legend, Lauren was paired with Bailey in the knockouts, where she chose to cover Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby" but was advised to make it more indie-pop sounding. While I love Lauren's voice, I didn't love the way the song got flipped to be something that different from Janis' version. To be honest, I think the wiggly vibrato version of Lauren would've worked better here. In any case, Lauren didn't advance. Now that she's left the show, Lauren has been recording some music and posting covers with friends on Instagram, including one you can find here.

Hint:   This contestant had arguably the biggest difference in sound between rounds. ( Lauren's blind audition and battle round showed off two very different sides of her voice.)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged at any point and her battle round was leaked.

Genre: Pop/Rock

Favorite Performance: If The World Was Ending (battle round)

13. Chloé Hogan (Team Gwen --> Team Legend)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Chloe-Ho

Explanation  Wrapping up this part of the list is the other John Legend steal from Team Gwen. Chloé's audition showed a very smooth voice, which worked well for her chosen song; though I personally think she deserved at least a second chair turn, I can see why Gwen was the only one to turn as Chloé's audition didn't show off a lot of vocal gymnastics. In the battle round, Chloé was paired with Lain Roy on a Harry Styles song that got montaged, but it didn't matter for Chloé in the end as she emerged victorious. Gwen's choice to advance Chloé over Lain caused some waves online, as the latter had quickly become a fan favorite after his audition. However, in the knockouts, Chloé proved to be a capable vocalist with her cover of SWV's "Weak" - she showed off a nice vocal range in addition to her signature smooth tone which was a delightful combination. Unfortunately, she lost her knockout, but she impressed John Legend enough to be stolen and taken to the playoffs. For the playoffs, I was surprised by the selection of a Billie Eilish song (and admittedly a tad disappointed, since I was hoping the song would be covered by a different contestant). However, I have to give credit where credit is due - Chloé nailed it and her performance ended up being one of the better performances of the night. Though she was eliminated after the playoffs, at least Chloé got to go on a high note. Since the show, Chloé has been working in studio and dropped a teaser of what's to come - check it out here if you're interested.

Hint:   This contestant's coach made a potentially controversial call by advancing them past the battles. ( Chloe won her battle against Lain Roy, who many of the audience thought was Gwen's front-runner; however, because their battle was montaged, the logic behind Gwen's decision remains unexplained.)

Montage/Leak: Her battle was montaged and she was not leaked at any point.

Genre: R&B

Favorite Performance: my future (playoffs)

yes! yes! yes! totally agree with pretty much everything in your writeups, and i love to see these people so high up! lauren was a favorite of mine, despite her unpopular BA (which I loved!), and I also loved Ian and Bailey's tone. I'm pleasantly surprised to see them all this high (although I might shift them up a few positions each personally). The only thing I'd maaaaybe disagree with was that I (unpop opinion) really liked Ian's cover of "Angel." Otherwise, I totally agree with this list (which is a rarity for me LOL).

5 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Hints for round eight - again, order of clues doesn't guarantee order of contestants:

• This contestant's song choice for their final performance turned out to be a little too on-the-nose.
  • Carter Rubin - 6 rounds v. larriah's 3
  • Jim Ranger - 6 rounds v. jus jon's 3
  • Madeline Consoer - 4 rounds v. eli's 2 

1. Ryan Gallagher - tiiiime toooooo sayyyy goodbyeeeee (to the voice).

2. Taryn Papa - apparently she almost cried or did cry when she saw a chair turn. 

3. Kelsie Watts - she picked kelly's song to ensure she got her BA aired 

4. Jim Ranger - he's one of the three that I think it can be (may have missed someone), and I think of the three, he's the most likely. I think it's between Jim and Madeline, and I actually originally picked Madeline but I'm editing now to make it Jim since I think it's just a little more likely.

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 1

Also, it's kind of interesting to note, we have pretty similar taste (in terms of this season, at least). I am finding myself agreeing with your rankings for the most part! It's kind of exciting to see that lol. Also, it's kind of bittersweet to see we're reaching close to the end, but I'm really excited to see how you order to top 10!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

1. Ryan Gallagher ("Time to Say Goodbye")
  2. Taryn Papa (sorry @Bk1234)
  3. Kelsie Watts (sang a Kelly song for her BA)
  4. Madeline Consoer (4 rounds compared to Eli's 2)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

1. Ryan Gallagher (Time To Say Goodbye)

2. Jim Ranger (he was on the verge of tears in his KO)

3. Kelsie Watts (sang a coach's song)

4. Carter and Madeline are the options, and I'm choosing Madeline Consoer

8 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Chloe won her battle against Lain Roy, who many of the audience thought was Gwen's front-runner; however, because their battle was montaged, the logic behind Gwen's decision remains unexplained.

Ironically, she's the one who makes the most logical decisions and props to her for chosing the deserving one despite who was her favorite beforehand.

Can't wait for the rest of your ranking, there's a lot of my favorites still remaining 🙂

• Like 3

This contestant's song choice for their final performance turned out to be a little too on-the-nose. - Ryan Gallagher

This contestant nearly cried on screen at least once. - Taryn Papa

This contestant guaranteed their audition would be shown in full. - Kelsie Watts

This contestant made it through twice as many rounds as an opponent. - Jim/Madeline

• Like 1

🚨🚨RANKINGS ROUND 8 - DOWN TO THE WIRE🚨🚨

12. Ryan Gallagher (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Ryan-Gal

Explanation  Starting off round 8 is the reason many middle-aged soccer moms across America continued watching the show past the blind auditions. Ryan's audition started off as a true blind, where the audience couldn't see who was up onstage. What they could see was Kelly trying to resist the button press for the majority of the song before eventually turning near the end; Blake turned too, though I'm pretty sure he did that more to screw with Kelly than because he wanted Ryan on his team though admittedly I'm curious how that would have gone if Ryan had picked Blake. Ryan was then paired with Marisa for the battles and both of them did well; my other tinfoil-hat-theory related to Ryan is that if just one of the other three coaches had picked Ryan over Marisa instead of unanimously declaring her the winner, Ryan would have won the battle and Marisa would have gone into the 4-way Knockout instead. Once the 4-way Knockout came around, Ryan turned in one of the stronger vocals of the round and looked like a lock to win it, especially as he was the last to perform in the knockout. In the second-shadiest move of the season behind Marisa's Twitter meltdown of course, Ryan was DQ'd from the competition with no explanation just before the results of the 4-way Knockout were revealed. Though it was later revealed that Ryan allegedly broke COVID protocols and thus had to be disqualified to protect the remaining artists and crew from getting sick, this was not mentioned on air; in any case, Ryan didn't proceed past the 4-way knockout. Since exiting the show, Ryan has continued posting music on his Instagram, including a snippet from a Valentine's Day concert you can watch here.

Hint:    This contestant's song choice for their final performance turned out to be a little too on-the-nose. ( Ryan's knockout song was Time to Say Goodbye and he ended up having to say goodbye to the competition, as he got disqualified before learning the results of the four-way knockout.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Opera

Favorite Performance: The Prayer (blind audition)

11. Madeline Consoer (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Madeline

Explanation  Kelly's would-be block follows her teammate on this list and thus just misses out on the top 10. Madeline's TV debut included hotel room clips of her making various catlike noises as vocal warmups; I don't know how or why I remember this, just that it's stuck with me. Anyway, Madeline went for a Maren Morris song for her blind, which suited her voice and showed that she had crossover potential for her genre. If Blake hadn't seen Kelly's attempt to block him, I believe Madeline would've gotten that second chair as she was pretty good. For her battle, Madeline got paired with Eli and had the rather daunting task of not only tackling Christina Aguilera vocals but also learning to sing a bit in Spanish. Even though I actually preferred Eli by a bit onstage, I found it to be enjoyable and pretty even vocally, so I was happy for Madeline when she moved on to the Knockouts. In the Knockouts, Madeline delivered one of my favorite performances of the round, even if she looked like a neon Chiquita banana while doing so that shade of yellow is still burned into my retinas. Madeline moved onto the playoffs but unfortunately didn't meet the same level as her knockout, which I suspect was a mix of questionable sound mixing for most of Team Kelly's performances the perks of kicking off the show and some nerves. Madeline did not receive enough votes to move on either by support or by winning the wildcard, nor did she get the coach save. After the show, Madeline released a full cover of her knockout song that you can find here.

Hint:    This contestant made it through twice as many rounds as an opponent. (Madeline made it through four rounds of the show [audition, battle, knockout, and playoffs[ while her battle partner, Eli, only made it through two [audition and battle].)

Montage/Leak: She was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Country/Pop

Favorite Performance: Die From A Broken Heart (knockout)

10. Jim Ranger (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Jim-Rang

Explanation  Kicking off the top 10 is the artist much of IDF expected to win after preseason feedback came in via spoilers. This wasn't Jim's first rodeo with televised singing competitions; he was on Season 9 of American Idol, though he did get cut at Hollywood week. A decade later, Jim returned to TV via The Voice with a more Americana-soul-country take on a Keith Urban hit than I expected. Jim's giant voice got everyone but Kelly to turn around, and despite the other coaches' best efforts Jim made the obvious choice to go with Blake. For the sake of my own well-being, I will not be talking about his battle because the song choice makes me angry every time I so much as think about it, but Jim won and that's what really matters. For his Knockout, Jim chose to go the Tim McGraw route and show a softer side to his voice, which I really liked. He also got a little teary-eyed afterwards talking about his kids, a move that when all IDF had to go off of was spoilers had a few people prepared to just hand Jim the trophy at that point. Fortunately for the other contestants, IDF's over-exaggerations do not automatically determine the winner, so Jim moved onto the lives. Though Jim's playoffs performance was weaker than his knockout, it was enough to get Blake's coach save. For the semifinals, Jim was the only coach save to receive the public vote into the finale, as apparently singing Badfinger while perched on a Martian cliff is an effective vote-winning tactic who knew. Jim's finale night performances were both pretty good, though it seemed like even if he'd been phenomenal the best he could hope for would be second place. Jim ended up being runner-up and placing higher than his teammate, so good for him, I guess. Since the show, Jim has gotten to sing the national anthem for his hometown hockey team and did a podcast talking about his time on the show; best of luck to Jim as he continues pursuing music.

Hint:    This contestant nearly cried on screen at least once. ( Jim got teary-eyed talking about his family after the end of his knockout.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged at any point and his knockout was leaked.

Favorite Performance: Humble and Kind (knockout)

9. Kelsie Watts (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Kelsie-W

Explanation The last member of this batch is one of the contestants that if they'd had a better run on the show easily could've made my top 5 for the season. To guarantee her audition would have to be aired even if she failed to turn a chair, Kelsie chose to cover a Kelly Clarkson song with Kelly there on the panel. That in and of itself is a ballsy move, but then Kelsie decided that wasn't enough - she'd throw in a whistle note towards the end of the song for good measure. Needless to say, that whistle note worked and Kelsie got Kelly and Gwen both to turn around. My other favorite about her audition was the look of pure love and adoration on her husband's face right after the chairs turned - it's enough to melt my heart every time. To absolutely nobody's surprise, Kelsie went to Team Kelly. It was then where Kelsie's luck with production ran out. Her battle round with Emmalee on a Demi Lovato song got montaged, though the rehearsal clip Kelsie posted after the end of the show sounded like there was potential for it to be a good battle. Upon advancing to the Knockouts, Kelsie "chose" to shake things up and go for an Alanis Morisette song that has led to all but one artist losing the knockout or cross-battle they sang it for. If that wasn't enough to hurt Kelsie's odds, her knockout ended up being short-clipped upon airing. In any case, Kelsie didn't get past the knockouts and yes I am still a little salty about how things played out for her on the show. After the show, Kelsie has posted a variety of songs to YouTube, including a full-length version of her audition song that you can find here.

Hint:    This contestant guaranteed their audition would be shown in full. ( Kelsie sang a Kelly Clarkson song for her blind audition, which she said was done so the producers would have to air her full audition.)

Montage/Leak: Her battle was montaged and her knockout was short-clipped.

Genre: Pop

Favorite Performance: I Dare You (blind audition)

• Like 3

• VintageVoice changed the title to The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (#12-9 POSTED)

With eight contestants remaining, I'm upping the ante for y'all : if you can guess the order from first to eighth that I've ranked the final eight in, you win (but I am broke so all you get is bragging rights, a trophy reaction, and a virtual fist bump).

That said, here's the second-to-last clue set:

• This contestant shares a home state with their chosen coach.
  • This contestant's name is like a good book.
  • This contestant was in the premiere of at least two rounds.
  • This contestant was part of the only trio to make the finale.
  • Thanks 2

1. DeSz (Kelly and DeSz are both from Texas) OR Julia Cooper (John and Julia are both from Ohio)
  2. Payge Turner (pun on her name)
  3. Tamara Jade (BA premiere, battles premiere, and KOs premiere)
  4. Carter Rubin (DeSz, Jim, and Carter trio)
Edited by disney1024
  • Like 1