The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (FINAL FOUR POSTED)

VintageVoice

2hHkFNI.jpg

Hey y'all, and welcome to the one where I judge our most recent concluded season of The Voice's cast members/contestants/talent lineup. As some may guess, this was inspired by @Bk1234's post of a similar nature. I am bored at home and need something to fill my time until Season 20's premiere, so here we are.

A few quick notes before we get started:

• This post is just for fun and is not meant to be taken in a way that is offensive to the contestants or any of their fans.
  • This is not a copy-paste of Bk's ranking - our tastes have some overlap but are not identical. I am, however, ripping off the "riddles for clues" idea (though I am not as creative so we'll see how that goes).
  • In addition to the contestant list, I'm planning to include a few other notes on the contestants when applicable (ie, if they were short-clipped/montaged/leaked at any point, their on-show genre, and their on-show performance which I liked the most).

Now that the disclaimers are done, buckle up - I'm releasing contestants in groups of four and the first batch of clues will be posted shortly.

Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 6

In an epic prognostication I predict the answer to the first riddle is Julia Cooper.  🙃

NGL: At first thought I thought VV was gonna rate peeps (see what a few too many martinis does to your thought process?) .....like IDF peeps....So my thought was ..."Oh this is gonna be fun."  

For the purpose of said;  I was ready to embrace my ranking as the seething underbelly of IDF.   

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

In an epic prognostication I predict the answer to the first riddle is Julia Cooper.  🙃

NGL: At first thought I thought VV was gonna rate peeps (see what a few too many martinis does to your thought process?) .....like IDF peeps....So my thought was ..."Oh this is gonna be fun."  

For the purpose of said;  I was ready to embrace my ranking as the seething underbelly of IDF.   

I mean I could but that'd be a whole drama fest I don't have any interest in starting 🤣.

Also like Bk's ranking, we are working from lowest to highest placing contestant - stay tuned for the first clue set which will be posted once I finish typing up one of the contestant snippets.

Edited by VintageVoice

3 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I mean I could but that'd be a whole drama fest I don't have any interest in starting 🤣.

Also like Bk's ranking, we are working from lowest to highest placing contestant - stay tuned for the first clue set which will be posted once I finish typing up one of the contestant snippets.

Well I  gave you a starting point so the hard part was done.

Clues for the first set! Note: these don't necessarily reflect the order in which the contestants finished.

• This contestant picked a killer song, but didn't manage to take out their opponent with it.
  • This contestant was blinded by the lights, but their coach was blinded by a different artist's cowboy hat.
  • This contestant is best known for their resemblance to a rottweiler before they landed in the doghouse.
  • This contestant sang songs either by or featuring artists from two different singing competition shows.

4 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Clues for the first set! Note: these don't necessarily reflect the order in which the contestants finished.

• This contestant picked a killer song, but didn't manage to take out their opponent with it.
  • This contestant was blinded by the lights, but their coach was blinded by a different artist's cowboy hat.
  • This contestant is best known for their resemblance to a rottweiler before they landed in the doghouse.
  • This contestant sang songs either by or featuring artists from two different singing competition shows.

1 - Van, I'm guessing. A song by the Killers, lost to Joseph (montaged)

2 - Skylar, sung Blinding Lights, lost battle to Tanner

3 - Aaron, compared to Chris D., who was rottweiler on Masked Singer.

4 - Hmm don't know.

Edited by David68

37 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

1. Van
  2. Skylar
  3. Aaron
  4. Olivia? (Harry Styles was on The X Factor but I'm not sure about H.E.R.)

NOTE: Kelsie Watts did sing a Kelly Clarkson song during the blinds but I don't think Kelsie would be in the bottom 4. 🤔

EDIT: The 4th clue refers to Payton, not Olivia. 😌

Edited by disney1024
Payton Lamar

20 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

1. Van

2. Skylar

3. Aaron

4. Payton (She sang "Never Alone" by Tori Kelly, who was on American Idol, and "Dancing with a Stranger" which featured Normani, who was on the X Factor)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

40. Van Andrew (he sang a Killers song)

39. Skylar Mayton (audition song)

38. lmao what

37. Lain Roy? (Harry Styles, Lewis Capaldi)

edit: nvm Payton makes much more sense for 4th clue

Edited by FloorWax

11 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

1. Van

2. Skylar

3. Aaron

4. Payton (She sang "Never Alone" by Tori Kelly, who was on American Idol, and "Dancing with a Stranger" which featured Normani, who was on the X Factor)

Payton makes sense actually. I changed my answer from Olivia to Payton lol 😂

🚨🚨 RANKINGS ARE UP 🚨🚨

40. Payton Lamar (Team Blake)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Payton-L

ExplanationPayton kicks off my rankings because somebody has to as I was not much of a fan of her tone in her blind audition. Payton is one of two artists who was short-clipped onto the season, turning Blake's chair at the last second with her rendition of "Never Alone." To me, I found her tone very nasal in an unpleasant way - I'm not sure if or how song choice may have impacted that. In her battle round with JusJon, I liked her voice more but preferred her opponent over her; Blake did too since she was eliminated after he picked JusJon over her. Since her time on the show, she's released a Christmas EP and a collab with other Season 19 artists that mashes up Christmas songs - you can check the latter out here.

HintThis contestant sang songs either by or featuring artists from two different singing competition shows. (Payton's blind audition song was originally by Tori Kelly, an American Idol alumna, and her battle song features Normani as a guest vocalist - Normani was part of Fifth Harmony, a girl group formed on the US version of The X Factor)

Montage/Leak: She had a short-clipped audition and was not leaked at any point.

Genre: Pop/R&B

Favorite Performance: Dancing With A Stranger (battle round)

39. Van Andrew (Team Gwen)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Van-Andr

ExplanationFollowing Payton is this season's King of the Montage. Van is someone that would probably be higher up if we'd gotten to hear more of him in Season 19; unfortunately, he was the only contestant to make the show and be subsequently montaged two separate times. His song for the blind audition phase was "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who, which is one that has killed off my snowflakes before it's nearly 2021 and I am still not over Stephanie Rice's elimination and Van's version was filled with pitch problems. His beginning was shaky but he did manage to improve somewhat, but the end of the audition fell off after Gwen and Blake both turned. If we're willing to indulge in some tinfoil-hat-ish theorizing, I suspect he'd resigned himself to being a no-chair turn and then two chairs turning late in the performance caught him off guard. Who knows? Since his time on the show, Van has collaborated with battle partner Tori Miller for a Christmas song they wrote together - check that out here.

Hint This contestant picked a killer song, but didn't manage to take out his opponent with it. ( Van sang a song by The Killers in his Knockout round but lost to Joseph Soul.)

Montage/Leak: He was montaged in the battle and knockout rounds and was not leaked at any point.

Genre: Rock

Favorite Performance: Behind Blue Eyes (blind audition)

38. Aaron Scott (Team Blake)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Aaron-Sc

Explanation Aaron's an unusual case here - I didn't mind him tonally, I thought both of his performances were decent, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him move on past his elimination point. So why is he so low? For me, I couldn't get past the strong resemblance physically, genre-wise, and vocally to Chris Daughtry (who remains one of my Idol all-time favorites). Is this a shallow reason to have someone in my bottom four? Yeah probably You decide. Since his time on the show, Aaron's been working on his own music and spending time with his family.

Hint This contestant is best known for his resemblance to a rottweiler before he landed in the doghouse. ( Aaron reminded several people of Chris Daughtry - who was the Rottweiler on Season 2 of The Masked Singer - both looks-wise and because his audition song is one that Daughtry covered during his run on American Idol.)

Montage/Leak: He was not montaged or leaked at any point.

Genre: Rock

Favorite Performance: Have You Ever Seen The Rain? (battle round)

37. Skylar Alyvia Mayton (Team Kelly)

TheVoice-S19-Artist-Bio-450x450-Skyler-A

Explanation:  Props to Skylar for doing something at 15 that would scare the living daylights out of me as an adult. She tackled one of the biggest songs of the year in her blind audition and got a chair fairly early on, but Kelly was the only one to turn. I personally thought Skylar had promise since Kelly has done well with teen girls on the show before; unfortunately, that didn't age well since Skylar was eliminated after her battle with Tanner. However, it should be noted that at least one coach preferred her performance in the battle rounds despite the song being much more in Tanner's wheelhouse. Since the show, Skylar's teased that she has new music coming soon - and she got to sing the national anthem for the Detroit Lions game last week.

Hint This contestant was blinded by the lights, but their coach was blinded by a different artist's cowboy hat. ( Skylar sang Blinding Lights as her audition song and lost her battle round to Tanner Gomes despite at least one coach preferring her performance in the battle according to source feedback)

Montage/Leak: She was montaged in the battle rounds and was not leaked at any point.

Genre: Pop

Favorite Performance: Blinding Lights (blind audition)

• Like 3

• VintageVoice changed the title to The One Where VintageVoice Ranks People: Season 19 Edition (#40-37 POSTED)

Payton- I preferred her during “Never Alone.” Her voice seemed to attack the notes excessively in “Dancin’ With a Stranger.” 

Van- No arguments here. 🙂

Aaron- Also no issues here. 

Skylar- If I were a coach, I would have turned and taken her all the way to the lives. She was so raw, meaning she could be molded into pretty much anything I wanted. Despite not seeing the full battle, I wouldn’t have minded a steal from someone. :stealth:

40. No arguments here. Her tone didn´t do it for me at all.

39. No arguments here either. His blind was pitchy AF, and he had a lot to prove if he was singing the Who.

38. I´d say Aaron is a little too low honestly. He wasn´t anything extraordinary, or someone I would have liked to see in the lives, but his blind was decent. I´d have him at 29 or 30 perhaps.

37. No arguments here. Her short clipped blind was not good. She needs more time to develop her voice I feel.

40. I'd probably have put Van in this spot, but Payton is bottom 5 for sure.

39. Fair ranking. Still curious to hear what his KO sounds like though.

38. Honestly a little too low. He didn't really have any bad showings, he was just average.

37. Again, really wanted to hear her battle with Tanner. I find it amusing that Blake said he was sure that this battle wouldn't get montaged, yet it still did. Probably would've put her lower than Aaron though.