American Idol General Discussion

istersay

I find the judges commenting on the contestants' looks creepy in general. It was the only part of Kara's stint that I didn't really enjoy. Saying they were good looking or whatever was fine, but it just feels inappropriate to me otherwise given the dynamic of the show. Maybe it's just me. :haha:

I find the judges commenting on the contestants' looks creepy in general. It was the only part of Kara's stint that I didn't really enjoy. Saying they were good looking or whatever was fine, but it just feels inappropriate to me otherwise given the dynamic of the show. Maybe it's just me. :haha:

Justice for Casey James' shirt... :roll:

The day's of judge's being weird are behind us. Until Katy says or does something bizarre, but she's Katy Perry I get it. :yes:

It's not like Paula drawing with crayon on Simon's face when they should be judging Allison Iraheta's performance... Yep. Still gonna mention that little moment when people think Katy's lost it temporarily. :P

:haha:

Honestly. The guys she crushes on are at least cuties and not jail bait... HI STEVEN TYLER flirting with girls half his age... :ph34rwave:

He was hardly flirting with anyone on the show. He may havesaid a funny thing or two, but he didn't do it throughout the show with the same contestant like Katy Perry does and that is the major difference.

Justice for Casey James' shirt... :roll:

The day's of judge's being weird are behind us. Until Katy says or does something bizarre, but she's Katy Perry I get it. :yes:

It's not like Paula drawing with crayon on Simon's face when they should be judging Allison Iraheta's performance... Yep. Still gonna mention that little moment when people think Katy's lost it temporarily. :P

Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul have chemistry and it's funny like the crayon thing. It doesn't happen often and if they are being funny, they are not doing it during the entire performance. So that's why the crayon thing didn't bother me.

Katy Perry didn't lose it temporarily and she did some very weird things.

1. She kissed a contestant on the show who didn't want to be kissed.

2. She pulled someone's hair who didn't want their head of hair touched.

3. She was flirting with Trevor Holmes and Cade Foehner throughout the whole time they were on the show.

Not really about the dynamic of the show. If guys did any of the things Katy Perry has done on the show, we wouldn't hear the end of it, but because it's a woman, it's not a big deal.

Edited by movieguy40

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018...down/441010002/

"She's too wacky, too hammy and yes, too flirty for the competition"

"It's a shame, because otherwise there's a spark of interest to the judging panel. Bryan is harmless and good-natured, as complimentary as Paula Abdul was back in the day, and Richie is genuinely interested in assessing these young singers from a critical and commercial standpoint. And sometimes Perry does toe the line and offer more serious evaluation. But mostly, her feedback sounds the same (everyone has "something" about them) and she tends to draw the spotlight to herself in the auditions, through flirty interactions, dancing around the audition room or flat jokes."

"It's clear that the pop star's vibe is just wrong for the show"

:ermm:

I guess we are all going to forget about what a homophobe Simon (and to a lesser extent Ryan) was and how he checked out completely during season 9, but whatever. :rolleyes:

Katy Perry being Katy Perry doesn't and never did shock me. Steven Tyler creepily eyeing younger women did... Now I'm not saying Katy hasn't crossed the line like Simon, and Steven did in the past, but she's a much better judge then they were. She proved her potential during her stint in season 9 on FOX... IMO

:ermm:

I guess we are all going to forget about what a homophobe Simon (and to a lesser extent Ryan) was and how he checked out completely during season 9, but whatever. :rolleyes:

Katy Perry being Katy Perry doesn't and never did shock me. Steven Tyler creepily eyeing younger women did... Now I'm not saying Katy hasn't crossed the line like Simon, and Steven did in the past, but she's a much better judge then they were. She proved her potential during her stint in season 9 on FOX... IMO

Simon Cowell was not a homophobe. If he was a homophobe, Ellen DeGeneres wouldn't have wanted to judge that season of American Idol. Also, what proof do you even have to make an accusation like that? Steven Tyler made some innocent comments saying that they looked beautiful. That's a lot different than kissing them without their consent. She's improved a bit, but she has a lot of work to do to really prove herself. For starters, not trying to get with almost every guy on the show especially since she is currently engaged to Orlando Bloom. Tell me when Simon Cowell or Steven Tyler kissed a girl contestant on the show without their consent? Because I know for certain that neither of them did that. But guess who kissed a guy contestant without his consent? Miss Katy Perry did.

Edited by movieguy40

Simon Cowell was not a homophobe. If he was a homophobe, Ellen DeGeneres wouldn't have wanted to judge that season of American Idol. Also, what proof do you even have to make an accusation like that? Steven Tyler made some innocent comments saying that they looked beautiful. That's a lot different than kissing them without their consent. She's improved a bit, but she has a lot of work to do to really prove herself. For starters, not trying to get with almost every guy on the show especially since she is currently engaged to Orlando Bloom. Tell me when Simon Cowell or Steven Tyler kissed a girl contestant on the show without their consent? Because I know for certain that neither of them did that. But guess who kissed a guy contestant without his consent? Miss Katy Perry did.

Agree to disagree but Simon was a jerk back then... IMO Steven is actually my fave judge of the FOX era so... ;)

I think Katy does a good job, but you're allowed to think otherwise. :yes: :flowers:

Maybe I'm remembering Idol wrong. It's been awhile since I saw Simon+AI viewing of past episodes so... Yeah.

Agree to disagree but Simon was a jerk back then... IMO Steven is actually my fave judge of the FOX era so... ;)

I think Katy does a good job, but you're allowed to think otherwise. :yes: :flowers:

Maybe I'm remembering Idol wrong. It's been awhile since I saw Simon+AI viewing of past episodes so... Yeah.

Yes he made some harsh comments to contestants like Tori Kelly and Jennifer Hudson, but he is not a homophobe.

When she is not flirting or trying to test the limits of unethical behavior she can get away with, Katy Perry is then a good judge. I have heard her give good feedback, but that doesn't immediately erase her weird and bizarre and even inappropriate behavior toward contestants on the show. So you're telling me you are okay with people kissing other people that don't want to be kissed? Okay good to know.

Edited by movieguy40

Yes he made some harsh comments to contestants like Tori Kelly and Jennifer Hudson, but he is not a homophobe.

When she is not flirting or trying to test the limits of unethical behavior she can get away with, Katy Perry is then a good judge. I have heard her give good feedback, but that doesn't immediately erase her weird and bizarre and even inappropriate behavior toward contestants on the show. So you're telling me you are okay with people kissing other people that don't want to be kissed? Okay good to know.

SIGH.

No I was actually highly bothered and annoyed with Katy kissing that contestant actually.

I've taken this thread off topic enough, but I will end with... The ABC judging panel is my fave panel of judges in Idol history. Since the original 3 of Simon, Randy, and Paula. :ph34rwave:

SIGH.

No I was actually highly bothered and annoyed with Katy kissing that contestant actually.

I've taken this thread off topic enough, but I will end with... The ABC judging panel is my fave panel of judges in Idol history. Since the original 3 of Simon, Randy, and Paula. :ph34rwave:

Well she never publicly apologized for it and yet it seems like you completely forgive her for it. It is one thing if she actually apologized, but she didn't. I'm not saying I absolutely hate Katy Perry because she has her moments when she is a great judge, but she has moments that are questionable for a family show like American Idol. I also liked Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Simon Cowell as judges too. And I like Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie as judges and Katy Perry for the most part as a judge. I pretty much liked every judge American Idol ever had.

Edited by movieguy40

I'm fine with them saying that a contestant looks great or beautiful. Even a little fun flirting is good when the contestant actually wants to be a part of. Katy Perry takes it way too far with the flirting though and that is why I have a problem sometimes with how she interacts with some of the other contestants. None of the other judges that American Idol has had on this show were ever over the top the way Katy Perry is.

Everyone, can you all take this blathering chatter to a different thread and let this be what its title alleges: actual spoiler discussion?! There's a general thread for a reason. Otherwise, it makes it look as if there is something new to chat about, when in actuality it's the same debates from yesteryear. :yawn:

There aren't any actual spoilers yet. This started as wondering which guy or guys Katy Perry was going to crush on this season. So it was about spoilers for this season, but then someone brought Steven Tyler and other former judges into it.

Edited by movieguy40

• 2 weeks later...

Some of them also struggled after the show. David Archuleta has gone through years of emotional turmoil of the stress from the show and the fracture it cause within his family. Lauren Alaina had a eating disorder. Allison Iraheta never lived up to her potential and ended up as a back-up singer for the show.

Some of the older contestants struggled after the show too.

I also think David Archuleta held himself together better than say, Brooke White, who was often on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Those two singles you're speaking of have to be his pre-Idol songs that were released independently. He has yet to release any new music with Hollywood Records.

I mentioned Laine on an Alejandro thread at MJ's... I was wondering where his debut non coronation single was. :ph34rwave:

Kinda pathetic that he has not put one out yet... :|

On 1/10/2020 at 1:44 AM, wgm said:

Laine has two singles, it's hollywood records who has to step up

Having songs is not the same thing as having singles.

Just because he has a repertoire of originals that he sings in concert does not mean that he has any singles being prepared for release as studio recordings.

Edited by AngelaKD

2 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

Having songs is not the same thing as having singles.

Just because he has a repertoire of originals that he sings in concert does not mean that he has any singles being prepared for release as studio recordings.

It's possible they're waiting until Idol starts back up to use that as promotion, but I don't faith considering how much they dropped the ball with Maddie's album.

• Like 1